Print Thread
What to ask before you go #5722905 04/30/15 02:36 AM
S
Somebeach Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
What are the most import things I need to ask and look for when booking a hog hunt with an outfitter? I had a bad experience last weekend. Before I go blasting an outfitter on a public forum I'm sure I didn't do my homework as much as I should have and buyer beware applies. Again just trying to get my bearings as we are new to Texas and new to hog hunting. Any info would be appreciated.

Re: What to ask before you go [Re: Somebeach] #5722926 04/30/15 02:50 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
welcome

Doing research and asking for referrals is your best bet. Find someone that has used a particular outfitter before or a forum that has reviews. Most google searches will show you what you need to know.

Know what to expect before you go and let the outfitter know your expectations so they can decide if their setup will accommodate your needs and expectations.

Ask about the style of hunting, amount of game, how long they have been feeding, what types of stands, who else will be on the property, role of the guide if there is one, distance to expected shot, size of expected animals, accommodations, and have them tell you what you should expect by hunting with them.

Good luck and hope your next hunt is better. There are some respected guides and outfitters on this forum that other members can vouch for.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: What to ask before you go [Re: Somebeach] #5722967 04/30/15 03:16 AM
Beaubien Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Ask what the success rates of the last five hunts were like. Not only pay attention to answer but how he gives it.

+1 on asking for references.

Re: What to ask before you go [Re: Somebeach] #5722992 04/30/15 03:38 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I've had two great experiences and one bad experience all three were with forum members on this site. Do your homework (Google, Facebook or other social media) sites for reviews.

Re: What to ask before you go [Re: Somebeach] #5723017 04/30/15 04:03 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
welcome ta THF... cheers like the handle, have a few of them days... Best wishes flag

i'm postaddic
Re: What to ask before you go [Re: Somebeach] #5723185 04/30/15 12:17 PM
J
JRJ6 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
welcome

Agree with what others have said above. good luck!

Re: What to ask before you go [Re: Somebeach] #5723452 04/30/15 02:46 PM
S
Somebeach Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Thanks fellas!

Re: What to ask before you go [Re: Somebeach] #5723486 04/30/15 03:14 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Not an outfitter.. Certain parts of texas have more hogs than other parts... Hunting pressure plays a roll.. Years past put in deer food plot, then start corn feeder, hog's start showing up.. Last year on cam's , had pic's of bout 9-12 hog's on cam's every month... They move up & down creek... This year very few hog's on cam's... Best luck i've had is hunting public land, & not seeing the numbers their eather... Guys used ta meet for hog hunts, quit coming ta one close ta here... Not seeing hog's... With 24-7-365 hog hunting, NV, Thermal, lights at feeders & bigger hog traps... Lots of pressure on hog's, public land is day hunt only, & rifle hunts limited time... Hog's have less presure, & if ya hit the out of reach area's, its a blast... Work is getting em out.. One i hunt, whin first opened up, seen big numbers of hogs, big difference than last few years.. Best wishes.. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: What to ask before you go [Re: Somebeach] #5723504 04/30/15 03:23 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Somebeach
What are the most import things I need to ask and look for when booking a hog hunt with an outfitter? I had a bad experience last weekend. Before I go blasting an outfitter on a public forum I'm sure I didn't do my homework as much as I should have and buyer beware applies. Again just trying to get my bearings as we are new to Texas and new to hog hunting. Any info would be appreciated.

important things to ask:
1. price
2. accommodations included
3. what to expect * this is very important

I run charity hog hunts on my place:

I tell folks how much up front
what's provided: sleeping food etc ...
then I tell them it's a hunting trip, I guarantee they will hunt
I do not, cannot, will not guarantee harvest or kill (that's not hunting )

if you're looking just to put an animal down, go to a high fence place
with maybe a few hogs already in the pen for the end of your trip

I have 40 new piglets and about 30 grown hogs on the place, but that
does not mean I'll see one every time. They move around, sleep late,
go shopping at other feeders on other properties

I have guests that leave with nothing but thanked me for a great time
... that's what matters, really

Re: What to ask before you go [Re: cabosandinh] #5723567 04/30/15 04:01 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: cabosandinh

important things to ask:
1. price

cheers same thing i've said on THF bout hog hunting public land, only not as good English.. Might be why scratch most of the time i huntsolo ... up on the charity hunts... Edit: Just been looking for some one ta go huting with, get a hog for grillen & chillen... Health not what it usdta be... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: What to ask before you go [Re: cabosandinh] #5723575 04/30/15 04:06 PM
S
Somebeach Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted By: cabosandinh

important things to ask:
1. price

It is not about a guarantee of getting game or not. I have been hunting all of my life and understand that sometimes your the windshield and sometimes your the bug, that's just part of it. High fence operations are not my cup of tea, if it were all about the meat or guarantee, I could have bought a hell of a lot of pork for what it cost. It was about a birthday present for my 12 year old boy and spending the one on one time with bonding. That being said I would like the outfitter to at least not act like we are a burden. Everybody is going to have a negative experience, I think it's up to the individual to learn from it so you can prevent it from happening again as much as possible and move on. I appreciate everybody's responses and willingness to give a new hog hunter info for next time out.

Re: What to ask before you go [Re: Somebeach] #5723660 04/30/15 04:44 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C

It is not about a guarantee of getting game or not. I have been hunting all of my life and understand that sometimes your the windshield and sometimes your the bug, that's just part of it. High fence operations are not my cup of tea, if it were all about the meat or guarantee, I could have bought a hell of a lot of pork for what it cost. It was about a birthday present for my 12 year old boy and spending the one on one time with bonding. That being said I would like the outfitter to at least not act like we are a burden. Everybody is going to have a negative experience, I think it's up to the individual to learn from it so you can prevent it from happening again as much as possible and move on. I appreciate everybody's responses and willingness to give a new hog hunter info for next time out.

if you want your little one to have a good time and another chance at hog hunting
send me a PM with your number, we'll chat

I am 2.5 hrs from Dallas, 650 acres in Eastland Co.
$125 day/ 2 hunters or 2 day min
and your payment goes to my scholarship charity

Re: What to ask before you go [Re: Somebeach] #5727217 05/03/15 05:53 PM
H
Hogz Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
HUNTERS CREEK RANCH in Mt Vernon, Tx. All you need to know. No bad experiences there! I've been going there for the past 4 yrs. he's got high fenced are plus 1000's of acres of free range land as well

Check out their website..Bob and Doreen run a great ranch. Food and lodging included!!

Shoot Str8 and Stay Safe
Jeff
Omaha Fire Captain
Re: What to ask before you go [Re: Somebeach] #5728680 05/04/15 08:14 PM
N
Night Hunting TV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
I have never been on a guided hunt, but I have been on a lot of guided fishing trips. I am fortunate to say my work pays for the guides to take us and customers out. I can say without a doubt the worst trips are with an unfriendly guide. Some guides aren't in it for the right reasons or you catch them on a bad day. The best guides love what they do and can talk to anyone about anything. A good guide puts in the effort to make sure the customer leaves with a good experience no matter how the day went. I agree with what others have said and research. A lot of times local forums are the worst for good info, because of friends those guides have etc. As well as some pay for ads to keep the site running and comments disappear.

Don't take me as bashing anyone, because I am not. Just recently got back into hunting, and know nothing about anyone on here.

Thermal & Night Vision Videos
Hog & Predator control
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/NightHuntingTv/
Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/c/NightHuntingTV
Re: What to ask before you go [Re: Somebeach] #5729194 05/05/15 02:37 AM
S
Somebeach Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
All good points fellas. I appreciate the feedback.

Re: What to ask before you go [Re: Beaubien] #5729979 05/05/15 05:49 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Beaubien
Ask what the success rates of the last five hunts were like.
I have done hunts in the past and this is probably the most asked question I get and is probably the most hardest to answer, if not sometimes impossible. Just because there are so many factors that come into play on a hog hunt. You have the weather factor, time factor, and biggest of them all, the hunter factor. When we do hog hunts, we monitor the hogs via game cams. Since we don't "guide" on these hunts, we show the hunters the set ups and tell them which stands we think will produce and turn them loose. If they walk all over the place "scouting", then their chances just dropped by 75%. Then there is the shooting factor. You would be surprised how many people can miss with a rifle at 75 yds or less.
So, when I'm asked this question, I usually answer with a question. Are you wanting to kill some hogs or just looking for a weekend to get away??

Re: What to ask before you go [Re: sqiggy] #5730878 05/06/15 01:38 AM
S
Somebeach Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted By: sqiggy
Originally Posted By: Beaubien
Ask what the success rates of the last five hunts were like.
I have done hunts in the past and this is probably the most asked question I get and is probably the most hardest to answer, if not sometimes impossible. Just because there are so many factors that come into play on a hog hunt. You have the weather factor, time factor, and biggest of them all, the hunter factor. When we do hog hunts, we monitor the hogs via game cams. Since we don't "guide" on these hunts, we show the hunters the set ups and tell them which stands we think will produce and turn them loose. If they walk all over the place "scouting", then their chances just dropped by 75%. Then there is the shooting factor. You would be surprised how many people can miss with a rifle at 75 yds or less.
So, when I'm asked this question, I usually answer with a question. Are you wanting to kill some hogs or just looking for a weekend to get away??

Fair enough. As long as a person can tell that some effort was put into the situation, I see no problem with that.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide