Print Thread
Thoughts and opinions... Part 2 #5585148 02/06/15 01:08 AM
G
grout-scout Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
G
As we know Texas is something like 98% private land which hurts most of us due to high lease cost & such. Something I kept thinking about earlier with dog23's post about land getting harder to access due to more and more people wanting to expand their hunting time.

So question #1, are we allowed to go hunt varmints in state parks? Stupid question, right? But I don't know the answer, is it ever allowed? Special seasons, permits?

Question #2. This one is more for the professionals/experts. Do land owners charge you to hunt predators on their land or do they pay you for your kills? I can see this one going both ways now a days. Landowners want the $$$ but yet I think ranchers would want the yotes/hogs killed. Where I live I believe most people call the govt. trapper when they have problems.

I'm sure these are stupid questions; but I'm bored at the moment and curious about the answers.

Re: Thoughts and opinions... Part 2 [Re: grout-scout] #5585259 02/06/15 01:39 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Don't know about #1, never thought, or trued it there.

#2 And not that I am a pro, or expert, but I have never paid a LO to trap or call, I have been paid a "bounty fee" by some when they where loosing calves, goats, chickens ect tra. What helped the most was word of mouth, not sure how it is now. $75-100 for a yote killing chickens or goats is cheap if your loosing very many. Most LO I have known though, use the County trapper if they have one, through the county commissioners court iirc, they still have to pay a prorated fee though. (or used to)

As far as hogs, never dealt with them on any level other than shooting 4 while on a turkey hunt outside Ft Davis. I wouldnt know the 1st thing about dealing with those bastages.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Thoughts and opinions... Part 2 [Re: grout-scout] #5585273 02/06/15 01:44 AM
dogdown23 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Ive never had to pay a land owner to hunt predators. Some owners will allow you to kill coyote, fox, and bobcats. Others will allow coyotes only. Most land owners aren't going to pay you to kill varmints. It's a win win for both parties. I get land to hunt and they have a few coyotes managed. Once you find a place to hunt, if your respectful and follow the landowners rules youll almost always be allowed back.

Dogdown

The only thing that'll stop a bad man with a gun, is a good man with a gun.
Re: Thoughts and opinions... Part 2 [Re: grout-scout] #5585439 02/06/15 02:48 AM
4dog Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Dogtown is right be respectful and remember ..its theirs and not yours ....i have two LO's that let me hunt hogs and they are different about other varmints...one says yes to everything but deer...one says yes to everything but deer and squirrels and of course his personal animals...so yeah all LO's have their quirks....i could hunt 7/365/24....because ive proven myself to abide the rules...do that and they tell their friends that own land....one more thing ask as many LO's as you can...one will say yes eventually and then ...well.....your in! Dont ask ....dont get . Thats my motto

Re: Thoughts and opinions... Part 2 [Re: grout-scout] #5585490 02/06/15 03:20 AM
G
grout-scout Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
G
I don't plan on asking anybody to hunt their property, I know that I don't know enough to try that. I was just wondering since our world is changing to a "for profit" everything and it's kinda sad. The state park thing is doubtful but I don't see why they couldn't have special seasons. Maybe I'll google it or call TPWD tomorrow.

Re: Thoughts and opinions... Part 2 [Re: grout-scout] #5585553 02/06/15 04:02 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
I didn't dig real deep, but it looks like there are areas that you can hunt coyotes and bobcats on some public land.
TPWD

Quote:
Unless otherwise specified for a specific unit, shooting hours for feral hogs, rabbits, and hares will be restricted to daylight hours
only, and furbearers and predators may be taken anytime day or night (unless restricted in the Legal Game box).

About 15 years ago, I lived in San Angelo and many of the ranchers would let us hunt on their land for free. Some would pay $75 per dog and $50 per cat, others didn't. Only place I have had to pay to varmint hunt was on the place that I was already leasing for deer, didn't have to pay extra though.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Thoughts and opinions... Part 2 [Re: grout-scout] #5585919 02/06/15 02:11 PM
G
grout-scout Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
G
Thanks Tx,, so it looks possible in certain parks. I think it would be fun to go out and explore some new country and at the same time get the chance to get a animal or two. If I get free time today I'm going to call our closest state park that has deer hunting and see what they say.

Re: Thoughts and opinions... Part 2 [Re: grout-scout] #5586067 02/06/15 03:18 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
cheers some good points. With 98% of land in texas being privetly owned. Its tough ta find any kind of hunting. Might explain some of the other Threads Giving up Hunting . Got on THF, i enjoy spending time out in the woods. Have done the leasing like every one else. Hog hunt, they do some dammadge. Yet tough ta get purmission. Theirs some who know me on here. Dosent take a genious ta figure out. If ya worked at the foundry, or hunted OSBWMA. If walked up ta ask purmission ta hunt, we'll first impression muyloco so cant blame em. They opened a WMA down road. Did the archery deer&hog hunts. And lots of hours & woundering about the woods during the 3 months Hog, any legal meens. 98% of hunts solo, way back hard ta reach. Less preasure. i realize alot of my posts may offend others. Moderators have a tough job. My spelling is not the best, my book reports were usualy D's. And like ta use red-neck words. As pappy once said: i gotta be me, no one else wants the job. It is getting tough ta find place ta hunt. Reason why say Proud supporter of WMA Its a tough hunt. Best wishes flag

i'm postaddic
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide