Print Thread
TELL ME YOUR PREDATOR CALLING TECHNIQUES Please!!! #1978328 01/04/11 04:25 AM
S
STJS45 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
This goes out to the predator calling veterans that know what the heck they are doin. haha. I am somewhat new to calling and even thou we have been successful, i would like to get some input. When calling how do you set up? do you first locate or how do you choose a location? WHAT IS YOUR CALLING SEQUENCE?!? How long do you wait? Is there such thing as calling a place out, how often can you call the same spot (day wise)? Whats the difference when calling FOX, to Coyote, to Cat? ECT... Really any input it well appreciated and i know theres no "only" way to call, I'ud like to get yours.

I got a Fox that i have seen back to back nights and cant call him out of brushes edge for a shot, but i know hes there. By the Way i got a brandnew fox pro spitfire with all the popular sounds.

Re: TELL ME YOUR PREDATOR CALLING TECHNIQUES Please!!! [Re: STJS45] #1978341 01/04/11 04:28 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Foxes are a joke. You arent making the right noise, when you do he will run you over

Re: TELL ME YOUR PREDATOR CALLING TECHNIQUES Please!!! [Re: Brother in-law] #1978401 01/04/11 04:44 AM
S
STJS45 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Foxes are a joke. You arent making the right noise, when you do he will run you over

flehan NO KIDDING!! Thats why im asking for alittle help. Thought thats what forums are for.

Re: TELL ME YOUR PREDATOR CALLING TECHNIQUES Please!!! [Re: STJS45] #1978429 01/04/11 04:55 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Take me Kudu and Lion hunting and I will tell you laugh

Re: TELL ME YOUR PREDATOR CALLING TECHNIQUES Please!!! [Re: Brother in-law] #1978442 01/04/11 05:00 AM
J
Jeff Thomason Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
It sounds like you know the basics already. We rarely target a specific predator. Sometimes a spot looks (Catty) and we may sit a little longer, but normally we just find a good looking spot and setup with the wind in our face. That is the fun thing about it, you never know what is going to show up. We have alot more luck with Fox and cats at night. They just seem to be moving better then. I normally let the call run nonstop, sometimes playing with the volume, or switching sounds every 5 minutes or so. Hope that helped. Good Luck, Jeff

Re: TELL ME YOUR PREDATOR CALLING TECHNIQUES Please!!! [Re: Jeff Thomason] #1978490 01/04/11 05:23 AM
M
MaggieMTx Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
never know what im doing, just get lucky when something runs in to see what the h*ll is making that horrific noise.

one thing is, gray fox hardly EVER stay still long enough and are stupidly curious...thus many people getting up close to some(run over).

Re: TELL ME YOUR PREDATOR CALLING TECHNIQUES Please!!! [Re: MaggieMTx] #1978642 01/04/11 11:14 AM
S
Savage388 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I only use a mouth call. The best advise I can give you is:

Don't start out very loud, work your way up to that.
Don't make very long blows on the call. Remember that a rabbit has perhaps 10% of the lung capacity that a grown man has. It simply does not have enough air in it's little lungs to wail for 30 seconds straight.
Cats take a little time to come in, coyotes don't. If I havn't seen anything in 20 minutes of calling I move.
Wind can be your friend or enemy. Too much wind will make it hard for you to be heard, it carries you scent also. A slight wind in your face, and you can literally get ran over by a fox or yote.
Lastly, go often. The more you practice the more you will see and you confidence will grow.

ODERINT DUM METUANT
Re: TELL ME YOUR PREDATOR CALLING TECHNIQUES Please!!! [Re: Savage388] #1978741 01/04/11 01:15 PM
T
trapperjustin Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
thats weird you have a fox hanging up, like said above they are stupid curious. are you using a cover scent or scent elimination products? ide suggest using skunk as a cover scent an getcha some scentlok

Re: TELL ME YOUR PREDATOR CALLING TECHNIQUES Please!!! [Re: trapperjustin] #1979094 01/04/11 03:09 PM
K
Kawabuggy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
Are you using one of the motion decoys as well? If not, you may want to add one of those to your set.

A motion decoy, with your caller, set upwind from you 50-60 yards I've heard is the best way to call.

Supposedly you being downwind of the decoy & caller is where the animals will try to come to "wind" the decoy. You being downwind of the decoy brings them straight into your position. They will be, or should be, watching your decoy so as they come into range towards your position you can shoot them before they actually catch your scent, or see you.

They say the coyotes nose is his best friend. Try using cover scent. Something natural if you can find it in the area.

Do some reading:
http://www.wcp-nm.com/coyotes/index.htm
http://varmintal.com/ahunt.htm

Either of those 2 sites has enough information to get you up to speed on predator hunting.

If you're ever closer to Houston, and want to go do some sets, I'm game!

A hog is nothing more than a bullet receptacle.
Re: TELL ME YOUR PREDATOR CALLING TECHNIQUES Please!!! [Re: Kawabuggy] #1979202 01/04/11 03:44 PM
U
UltimatePredator Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
U
My suggestion is to invest in a few predator hunting dvds as you can learn a huge amount of information in such a short period of time. There are several good ones out the. To name a few, predator pursuit has 4 great day and night hunting videos or Coming to the Call with Byron south is also a very informative dvd. Overall, the best way to learn is to get out there and do some hunt'n but it's always best to get the basics down first and start from there. Good luck Chris

CARNIVORE'S night hunting Professionals!

Only on Pursuit...

www.ultimatepredatortv.com
Re: TELL ME YOUR PREDATOR CALLING TECHNIQUES Please!!! [Re: STJS45] #1979441 01/04/11 04:54 PM
S
STJS45 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Thats some really good info. I havent really tried the decoy, cover scent or dvd, but i definitely will. I actually went to itunes and Foxpro has a podcasts that i have downloaded with some good info and specail guest talking about how to use a light, how to call them in ect... Though that was kinda cool.
I will be hunting with Critter Getter on the Jan 14th, and he obviously knows how to call so im sure ill learn a bunch from him.
My last question is what is the sequence you use. I got a bunch of calls and im kinda just picking randomly. Is there sequence that has worked for you, or can you help me structure one.

Re: TELL ME YOUR PREDATOR CALLING TECHNIQUES Please!!! [Re: UltimatePredator] #1979472 01/04/11 05:01 PM
T
TonyKaye Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
According to the guy on preditor nation, he calls (hand calls) for as long as he can on one breath - waits about a minute and then repeats it. I've tried it with mixed results. Just about dusk you'll hear yotes use locator calls = "where is everybody at?" - don't respond to that; you're either going to be in somebody else's area or it will sound like a challenge. Wait a few minutes then use one of your distress calls, rodent or rabbit. During the day I often use a puppy distress call, that will get them out of bed. Yes, you can call out an area, especially if you get busted. Wait a few days. Go a mile or so away for another set the same day and change the call! I use an electronic call most of the time, but when I stay in the same area and move around, I'll switch to different hand calls.
I don't want to start a big argument about volume but I think it depends on the weather and the area you're hunting. If its windy I call just as loud as I can unless you see something close that hasn't seen you. Second and subsequent series I'll tone it down a bit. Just experiment and see what works for you and if you're having fun and getting a little shooting from time to time you're doing it just exactly right. Good luck.

Re: TELL ME YOUR PREDATOR CALLING TECHNIQUES Please!!! [Re: Kawabuggy] #1979501 01/04/11 05:08 PM
S
STJS45 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted By: Kawabuggy

Do some reading:
http://www.wcp-nm.com/coyotes/index.htm
http://varmintal.com/ahunt.htm

Either of those 2 sites has enough information to get you up to speed on predator hunting.

If you're ever closer to Houston, and want to go do some sets, I'm game!

Thanx man, ill check those websites tonight, and about hitting up some stands near Houston, I am down for whenever you want. Really ill do that drive any day. lol

Last edited by STJS45; 01/04/11 05:10 PM.

Re: TELL ME YOUR PREDATOR CALLING TECHNIQUES Please!!! [Re: STJS45] #1981691 01/05/11 01:49 AM
B
barnez Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
the calling all coyotes videos are great!

www.callingcoyotes.com

Re: TELL ME YOUR PREDATOR CALLING TECHNIQUES Please!!! [Re: barnez] #1981733 01/05/11 02:00 AM
C
Clay Reid Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Getting in the woods and doing it is the best and going out with guys like crittergetter is definately a leg up .

3-time TEXAS COYOTE CALLING CHAMPION
FoxPro Field staff-Predator Division
New Mexico State Champion
Reserve World champion
Re: TELL ME YOUR PREDATOR CALLING TECHNIQUES Please!!! [Re: Clay Reid] #1982344 01/05/11 04:30 AM
S
STJS45 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Tony Kaye,Very good info, a step by step for me to follow on my next call.

Clay Reid, from what i can see, you have won a few calling contest. What is your calling sequence? What sounds do you use and for how long?

Last edited by STJS45; 01/05/11 04:34 AM.

Re: TELL ME YOUR PREDATOR CALLING TECHNIQUES Please!!! [Re: STJS45] #1982380 01/05/11 04:39 AM
G
GoldPro31 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
There are several techniques I use to predator hunt. I just got a FoxPro Spitfire and it seems to work very well. I want to learn how to hand call one day. Can't wait for that crittergetter hunt.

Re: TELL ME YOUR PREDATOR CALLING TECHNIQUES Please!!! [Re: GoldPro31] #1988195 01/06/11 09:09 PM
C
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
We kill dozens of fox a year and I have seen them hang up in country that has coyotes. Im no expert but I think that foxes are cautious sometimes because they dont want to run up on a coyote while he is having a meal because the fox may become the meal. If I am calling with a rabbit sound and a fox shows I immediatley switch to grey fox pups sound, my thinking is this tells the fox he is dealing with another fox and not a coyote which could be very hazardess to his health. This worked so well on one praticular night last year that we dubbed the grey fox pups sound the "come to the road call", because they were hanging tight to brush until I switched sounds and then they would come to the road and make their way straight to the truck to be met with some 3.5" #4s. Again no expert but try this I think it will work.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide