Print Thread
Baiting ducks #7244589 08/04/18 12:42 AM
R
rickym Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
This is one county that I’m have issue in. I’ve read over and given my input on the other baiting thread. I’ve called my county gw’s and have gotten mixed answers. Some say as long as I(or my dog) don’t knock seed off of stocks of seed I’m fine, others say it needs to be cut or grazed before I flood and no seed found. What would you do?

Re: Baiting ducks [Re: rickym] #7244613 08/04/18 12:59 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Are you talking about planting millet or what?

Re: Baiting ducks [Re: rickym] #7244646 08/04/18 01:24 AM
W
woodduckhunter Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
W
you get mixed answers because a lot of them do not know themselves. plant it, flood it, and hunt it. only disturbances allowed are dogs retrieving, you retrieving, throwing/picking decoys, "normal" hunting activities. not you driving atvs through it. some people even go as far as not planting, spraying before it seeds or mowing a driving lane before it seeds and taking pictures for proof. cutting or putting livestock on it would be the exact definition of manipulation and I would not do that. the texas state book will often say you can't hunt manipulated millet in the first year of planting and everybody thought that meant you couldn't plant and hunt. you can, just can't manipulate it. I have never observed a need to manipulate millet anyway, its pretty much open water by thanksgiving. flooding a crop is not considered manipulating per the feds. they consider flooding manipulation to the dirt, not the plants growing out of it.

Re: Baiting ducks [Re: woodduckhunter] #7244648 08/04/18 01:27 AM
68A Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: woodduckhunter
you get mixed answers because a lot of them do not know themselves. plant it, flood it, and hunt it. only disturbances allowed are dogs retrieving, you retrieving, throwing/picking decoys, "normal" hunting activities. not you driving atvs through it. some people even go as far as not planting, spraying before it seeds or mowing a driving lane before it seeds and taking pictures for proof. cutting or putting livestock on it would be the exact definition of manipulation and I would not do that. the texas state book will often say you can't hunt manipulated millet in the first year of planting and everybody thought that meant you couldn't plant and hunt. you can, just can't manipulate it. I have never observed a need to manipulate millet anyway, its pretty much open water by thanksgiving. flooding a crop is not considered manipulating per the feds. they consider flooding manipulation to the dirt, not the plants growing out of it.

This

Re: Baiting ducks [Re: woodduckhunter] #7245247 08/04/18 06:56 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
you get mixed answers because a lot of them do not know themselves. plant it, flood it, and hunt it. only disturbances allowed are dogs retrieving, you retrieving, throwing/picking decoys, "normal" hunting activities. not you driving atvs through it. some people even go as far as not planting, spraying before it seeds or mowing a driving lane before it seeds and taking pictures for proof. cutting or putting livestock on it would be the exact definition of manipulation and I would not do that. the texas state book will often say you can't hunt manipulated millet in the first year of planting and everybody thought that meant you couldn't plant and hunt. you can, just can't manipulate it. I have never observed a need to manipulate millet anyway,

Well said. I like how you say "normal hunting activities". I look at it this way, OK drops millet all over OK public land for waterfowl hunting, you think OK GW or Fed GW is out their busting people for knocking millet seed heads down?

I have never observed a need to manipulate millet anyway,

The only reason would be to knock shred it which would make for a few days of really good hunts, but mess up the rest of the season in the process.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide