Print Thread
5 and 6 hp motors on layout boats #7013187 12/27/17 04:41 PM
W
wal1809 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
W
Guy I know you have something like these. Are you getting the performance these guys are getting? I bought one 2 years ago and have not been able to get to try it. I kind of got ripped off as the Delrin bearing in the lower end of the tube was bad. I ordered a new replacement but the flood might have got it. I was just curious if you or anyone else uses these and get that kind of performance.

Re: 5 and 6 hp motors on layout boats [Re: wal1809] #7014370 12/28/17 02:14 PM
W
wal1809 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
W

Re: 5 and 6 hp motors on layout boats [Re: wal1809] #7014404 12/28/17 02:43 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Wal! Whats up man

I been looking at them for a good while now theres one on here thats a double seat i like alot... for small river and lake slus id bet they are hard to beat

Re: 5 and 6 hp motors on layout boats [Re: wal1809] #7014529 12/28/17 04:21 PM
W
wal1809 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
W
Whats happening Navasot? I bought this thing off of craigslist. I listened to it run and thought it sounded good. Got it home and ran it longer than when I was buying it. THe motor locked up. Come to find out the delrin plastic bearing on the end of the tube by the shaft had been over heated. Any run time over a minute or two and the shaft heats up the plastic and it gets sticky enough to grab the shaft and stop the motor. It has three bearings in the tube., The delrin bearing at the shaft and two wooden bearings up in the tube. They are held in place with a set screw through a hole the side of the tube. I will get on the duck call lathe and make new wooden bearings. Instead of a set screw I will use grease zirks to lube the shaft inside the wooden bearings ever now and again. Its a pretty ingenious design so far as simplicity.

The lower end shaft parts were on the work bench. The motor was still mounted to the boat, sitting on a bench in the barn when the flood waters came. I was nothing short of amazed it managed to float out of the barn after the water was at the six foot mark. This little boat floated out the barn and got hung up on an orange tree I planted fifteen years ago. That tree was the only thing that stopped the boat from vanishing from my eyes forever. It is miles of woods beyond that point.

I want to get this thing running by sept blue wing season next year. There is a large mud flat at a place I used to hunt long ago. It is not accessible by foot or large mud boats. If this little boat performs like that video then I can use it in a 4 foot wide creek for a mile and break out into that flat. With the scattered clumps of grass I could hide out in the open.

BTW we lost the lease up there. I still hunt the main ranch due west of you but really hate losing that lease. Tell Blue Moon I really miss them.

Re: 5 and 6 hp motors on layout boats [Re: wal1809] #7014876 12/28/17 09:44 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: wal1809
Whats happening Navasot? I bought this thing off of craigslist. I listened to it run and thought it sounded good. Got it home and ran it longer than when I was buying it. THe motor locked up. Come to find out the delrin plastic bearing on the end of the tube by the shaft had been over heated. Any run time over a minute or two and the shaft heats up the plastic and it gets sticky enough to grab the shaft and stop the motor. It has three bearings in the tube., The delrin bearing at the shaft and two wooden bearings up in the tube. They are held in place with a set screw through a hole the side of the tube. I will get on the duck call lathe and make new wooden bearings. Instead of a set screw I will use grease zirks to lube the shaft inside the wooden bearings ever now and again. Its a pretty ingenious design so far as simplicity.

The lower end shaft parts were on the work bench. The motor was still mounted to the boat, sitting on a bench in the barn when the flood waters came. I was nothing short of amazed it managed to float out of the barn after the water was at the six foot mark. This little boat floated out the barn and got hung up on an orange tree I planted fifteen years ago. That tree was the only thing that stopped the boat from vanishing from my eyes forever. It is miles of woods beyond that point.

I want to get this thing running by sept blue wing season next year. There is a large mud flat at a place I used to hunt long ago. It is not accessible by foot or large mud boats. If this little boat performs like that video then I can use it in a 4 foot wide creek for a mile and break out into that flat. With the scattered clumps of grass I could hide out in the open.

BTW we lost the lease up there. I still hunt the main ranch due west of you but really hate losing that lease. Tell Blue Moon I really miss them.

DANG that sucks man property is getting hard to come by around here and folks are running around finding landowners and trying to bye out current leases.... sucks..

That little boat should be fun my motor went down on my 14fter last year and been looking for a carb... found one and its stupid high so im just gona buy a bigger 13hp rebranded Honda from Harbor Ft... its cheaper than the durn carb would be on the vanguard I have lol

Re: 5 and 6 hp motors on layout boats [Re: wal1809] #7015448 12/29/17 12:00 PM
W
wal1809 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
W
Prices in Texas are stupid right now. I have three years left to retire. I keep a sharp eyeball out for Kansas properties. You can still find some for 800 an acre.

Crazy how you can buy a while engine for kess than a carb.

Last edited by wal1809; 12/29/17 12:02 PM.
Re: 5 and 6 hp motors on layout boats [Re: wal1809] #7015774 12/29/17 05:08 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by wal1809
Guy I know you have something like these. Are you getting the performance these guys are getting?

I would say yes, with some caveats. This is my rig..Momarsh Fatboy DP, with 7hp Subaru motor and Stumpjumper lower unit...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

But keep in mind, those guys in the video have no gear in the boat, no dog, and they are sitting in front of the boat reaching back to the tiller.. You are not going to be running to your duck hole like that.

My boat, especially with dog and gear, runs shallowest at idle. Give it gas, nose sticks up, and it plows through the water, you don't get on plane. Now no gear or dog, sit in front, yeah you are skipping across the water. But I never run it like this. Also keep in mind, it is a fiberglass boat. You don't want to be running over ground, jumping stumps... I always worry about hitting a stump hard, putting a big hole in the boat in the middle of the lake and it sinks.

Here it is running full throttle me and Molly, no gear...

But this is the strength of the boat, here me and Molly, just idling head back to ramp after hunting, with gear. Boat is level, runs the shallowest. Impossible to get stuck.

I have not even hunting this boat this year. It has become like my hobby to just work on it, got the motor painted, got it completely grassed up... I'm always looking for good places to take it, that is safe, because it is a joy to hunt out of, so easy to load on/off trailer, you don;t have to hide it, the most awesome/roomy layout blind, runs shallower that anything, its quite...Love this boat.

Re: 5 and 6 hp motors on layout boats [Re: wal1809] #7016467 12/30/17 03:34 AM
W
wal1809 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
W
Thank you guy. That's a good report. Hopedale is a little boat guy as well.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide