Print Thread
My 1,000 Mile Dove Opener Odyssey #6440505 09/06/16 05:40 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
So I went a little 'dove crazy' this year and got a LOT of saddle time along I-20 for the opener. Here is the chronicle of my little adventure:

Day 1, Leg 1; Thursday 9/1/16. It's here! It is finally here! Dove season 2016. FTW-Rising Star-FTW, dodged thunderstorms and had a limit of birds clean and in the freezer. I am pretty sure it didn't get over 80 degrees this day. 250 miles down, 750 to go. No pics; cell phone didn't get charged up until after the birds were clean.

Day 2, Leg 2; This was supposed to be my big driving day. Initially the plan was to go from Fort Worth up to Collin County to get a limit with buddies in the afternoon and then 'shoot' west to Albany for a Saturday Morning shoot with clients. The Collin County plans got nixed, so I decided to go to the X again in Rising Star. Another round, another limit and a bonus pig as I was heading out of the gate for Albany. Disposing of the pig delayed me about 30 minutes, but I eventually made it to Albany before midnight. FTW to R-star to Albany, 275 more miles clicked off on the odometer.

Day 3, Leg 3; Today was the day of making friends. Woke in Albany and hunted at the client's place. The birds weren't thick, but I was able to get some shooting in; I only recovered 8, the other hunters had a fair showing, but no limits. I had a bobcat run off with my first bird, and had two that I lost in the tall grass. I HATE losing animals that I kill, especially these flying delicacies. Got in a meal of some delicious homemade enchiladas, watched most of the OU game, thanked my hosts and fired up the truck for Rising Star again to polish off a limit. I found a bottle of TX Whiskey in my passenger's seat as a gift from our client. I have never been given a gift after coming out to hunt somebody's land, but it was well appreciated.

On the way to Rising Star from Albany, I passed a buddy that has land not far from us. I was in a hurry to get to the ranch, so I texted him to find out his plans for the afternoon. He and his crew were watching football in Cross Plains then bird hunting. I secured an invite to watch the first half of the Aggie Game then went back to the killing field for a limit top-off. Two more limits came out of our field and I was invited to my friend's place for steak and beer that night; I'm not one to turn down a steak dinner. With all the back and forth and driving around that racked up another 175 miles on Day 3 and another limit.

Day 4, Sunday 9/4. I decided to stay put at the ranch today. I slept in this morning and got moving about 10. Checked feeders and cameras, fished a little bit and then got packed up to head home. My enthusiasm for shooting birds waned a little bit today. Had a leasee and his guest show up late afternoon and I was cleaning my shotguns. About the time I was ready to head out, they were in Field X and the shooting commenced. By now my camouflage could stand on its own and smells less than terrific. I decided to delay my departure since the shooting was hot and heavy again. I sat under a big mesquite tree in blue athletic shorts, flipflops, and my last clean camo tee-shirt for 90 minutes. I picked my shots and only shot birds that would crash in the short grass since I wasn't wearing boots, and limited out...again. Ended up in Cleburne via Fort Worth about midnight. 185 more miles.

Day 5. Monday. I found a little Johnson County honey hole and scored a few birds, no limits as this spot is usually a late season shoot for me. Not a bad way to wrap up the weekend though. Tack on another 95 miles - +/-980 miles in all. I will round that up to 1,000 miles, because that is how I want it to be remembered. Thanks for reading!

Re: My 1,000 Mile Dove Opener Odyssey [Re: HuntnFly67] #6440512 09/06/16 05:45 PM
S
Stompy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I'd need 2 days off to rest and sleep after all that..Nice to be young I bet grin

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: My 1,000 Mile Dove Opener Odyssey [Re: HuntnFly67] #6440530 09/06/16 06:00 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
That's what I say. I spent 5 days hanging out with my brothers and our families acting like we we were in our 20's again. We can all say we ain't as tough as we once were.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: My 1,000 Mile Dove Opener Odyssey [Re: HuntnFly67] #6440551 09/06/16 06:13 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I'm feeling it guys, I promise. Especially now that I have crossed the threshold of being closer to 40 than 30. Seems like the aches and pains are a little more observed.

Re: My 1,000 Mile Dove Opener Odyssey [Re: HuntnFly67] #6440564 09/06/16 06:22 PM
B
Boudreaux Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Miles and Miles of Texas.... Sounds like a great trip to me

Stickin' gills and Stackin' bills

In a world of compromise..... some dont....
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide