Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Interesting question... #5497348 12/24/14 04:38 PM
BuckRage Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
I was reading another thread and someone posted why not take duck and dove ammo in case one is slow... Well that reminded me of an interesting conversation I had with our GW. I'm new to waterfowl hunting so I've been dotting all my i's and crossing my t's with all the reg's. Anyway....I call the GW and asked a few questions and he seems like an ok fella. Then he says "Oh..1 thing. If you are going duck hunting you better have only steels with you. I mean you better not even have any lead shot in your truck because I will search it and if I find one you're getting a ticket. I ticket people all the time that say they want to dove hunt after the morning duck hunt but I give them tickets because how am I supposed to know that they won't shoot ducks with lead shot? I'll give you the ticket and the judge will side with me every time."

I was wtf but it is what it is but I'm curious what you all think or have heard.

[Linked Image]
Re: Interesting question... [Re: BuckRage] #5497366 12/24/14 04:46 PM
BuckRage Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
don't get me wrong. I don't mean have both shells with you or on your person while your duck hunting. I mean back at your truck well away from your duck hunting spot and have steel shot with you for duck..

[Linked Image]
Re: Interesting question... [Re: BuckRage] #5497379 12/24/14 04:50 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: BuckRage
I was reading another thread and someone posted why not take duck and dove ammo in case one is slow... Well that reminded me of an interesting conversation I had with our GW. I'm new to waterfowl hunting so I've been dotting all my i's and crossing my t's with all the reg's. Anyway....I call the GW and asked a few questions and he seems like an ok fella. Then he says "Oh..1 thing. If you are going duck hunting you better have only steels with you. I mean you better not even have any lead shot in your truck because I will search it and if I find one you're getting a ticket. I ticket people all the time that say they want to dove hunt after the morning duck hunt but I give them tickets because how am I supposed to know that they won't shoot ducks with lead shot? I'll give you the ticket and the judge will side with me every time."

I was wtf but it is what it is but I'm curious what you all think or have heard.

In your truck is a little iffy... I don't see you getting a ticket for it. Hell he will find rifle ammo in my truck.

I wouldn't carry lead on my persons while duck hunting. If I had duck hunted that morning dropped them off at the truck and was now dove hunting, I'd encourage him to take a magnite to my ducks as we clean them together. If he still wants to write me a ticket so be it. But when he gets to take the stand and testify that all he found was steel shot in each duck, I image judge would drop the case.

If I was going to hunt them concurrently I'd use #6 steel.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Interesting question... [Re: BuckRage] #5497408 12/24/14 05:02 PM
BuckRage Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
He made it very clear he would search the truck and would do just that.

[Linked Image]
Re: Interesting question... [Re: BuckRage] #5497482 12/24/14 05:31 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Cool, He is more then welcome too, more then welcome to write me a ticket also if he believes that's a ticket able offense. Why we have judicial system

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Interesting question... [Re: BuckRage] #5497575 12/24/14 06:11 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
You can buy cheap 7 1/2 steel at waly mart and they shoot just as good.
I brought 2 guns for me last week during duckhunt and one was a youth 20 gauge 870 loaded with dove steel.
Dropped 6 ducks and 6 dove.

Having said this, its a lil harder to find steel doveload for a 20 gauge.
I found some nr 6 winchester steel in 20 gauge last week and bought everything they had (only 14 boxes)
Perfect load for decoying ducks and passhooting dove at the same time.

Last edited by beaversnipe; 12/24/14 06:14 PM.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: Interesting question... [Re: BuckRage] #5498240 12/24/14 11:24 PM
M
Moe #2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Isn't that kinda like accusing the GW of rape because he has all the right equipment?

Re: Interesting question... [Re: BuckRage] #5498693 12/25/14 04:06 AM
T
trash2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Never heard this and have been checked more times than I can count. He'd find boxes of lead, buckshot, slugs etc in my truck any day of the week. Hope I don't run into this newbie

Re: Interesting question... [Re: BuckRage] #5498734 12/25/14 04:49 AM
E
Erichugh22 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
So he searches through every single hunters truck looking for lead shot? I'd get a ticket every day. I have loose dove shells rolling all over the place in mine.

Re: Interesting question... [Re: BuckRage] #5498829 12/25/14 12:00 PM
G
Going Green Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
If a GW wants to stop my hunt, search the cab of my truck after I've cooperated fully, produced a valid license, duck stamp, plugged gun and nontox, etc. thats when I turn my cell phone on, inform him that he's being recorded, and we start playing the "Am I being detained? What crime am I under suspicion of committing? Ok, then, get a warrant." game. I'm all for enforcement of game laws, what I am not cool with is being harassed by a power hungry squirrel sheriff. I may have one or two loose target loads rolling around the truck, and after he gets a warrant he may find them and write me a ticket, but not before he calls a judge first and starts a paper trail that leads directly to a violation of the 4th amendment. I'm not advocating the disregard for game laws, but searching a vehicle with suspected possession of lead shot as his probable cause will probably not go over well when the judge asks him- this is also why you start recording him when he insists on searching your vehicle. Because if he tells you "you're under suspicion of possession of lead shot for the purpose of hunting waterfowl" and you tell him to get a warrant and then he calls the judge and says "I suspect he's holding narcotics" and judge grants him a warrant, well, you get the picture. I'd like to believe our boys in green are above that kind of BS, but you never know. The bottomline is that cooperation and attitude is key. Don't have lead on you when you're hunting, be pleasant and cooperative during the stop, and if and only if the GW wants to start harrassing you and violating the 4th amendment should you start to give any pushback whatsoever, otherwise, you're just asking for trouble.

Re: Interesting question... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5498832 12/25/14 12:08 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Cool, He is more then welcome too, more then welcome to write me a ticket also if he believes that's a ticket able offense. Why we have judicial system

That is what I am talking about right there. On your possession does not.mean.in your truckand you in a duck blind. It is a jury that decicdes not the Gw nor judge.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide