Print Thread
So hot...almost not worth it.....! #6395419 08/05/16 05:01 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Just under 100° here today...and ridiculous humidity. Severe heat index warnings being broadcast.

My older Brother was here visiting and I told him I had a Boar coming into one of the feeders pretty regularly. We debated going....because it is just so blasted HOT, but figured we could handle 2-3 hours on stand before completely melting down.

Sunset here today would not be until 8:15 p.m. and the Boar had come in at 8:30 the night before, so we figured to be 'on stand' at 7:00 p.m.

We knew it would be a hot 1/4 mile walk to the stand....so I put some wet dish towels in the refrigerator an hour before we left, so we could wrap them around our necks for the walk in.

Neither of us sweated during the walk to the stand, but I didn't think to OPEN the stand earlier in the day to let it air out. It is heavily insulated and the insulation was doing an excellent job.

It was probably 115° inside the box stand. We opened the windows and left the door at the rear open, but there was NO breeze to help dissipate the hot air inside.

We were both dripping wet with sweat within minutes of entering the structure.

The efforts we made to reduce our scent (shower before leaving the house, walk slowly to stand with cool towels around our necks) was all for not!

I wasn't sure I would make it the remaining hour of daylight....before the cooling temps of sunset could give us some relief.

We had been on stand perhaps 10 minutes, briefly discussed what the plan of action would be if the Hog showed up from the road to the East, when my Brother says "There he is right there"!

I looked up and the hog is standing about 6' away from the feeder. There is heavy brush around the bait site....but we can usually see the hogs coming. He just appeared seemingly out of nowhere.

The other thing that caught me off-guard...was that he showed up a full hour before I thought we'd see any movement at all.

Not wanting this opportunity to fall apart for any reason, I urged by Brother to go ahead and take the shot presented (Hog was broadside, 100 yds. with 1/2 of his body exposed).

Just as the shot broke, the Boar took a step forward and the resulting hit was tight behind the shoulder instead of right in the middle of it. The Boar whirled on his back trail and started running. He popped out of the brush and onto an old logging road heading straight away from us. Now at about 140 yds. (and getting farther away fast), I told my Brother to shoot again.

He had already racked another round in the chamber and has made this kind of shot before (aim for the base of the tail to break the animal down), but somehow shot just a bit over the top of the hog. Dust flew up in the road just ahead of the Boar...causing it to veer left into the brush.

As it turns out it had not gone very far. We quickly found it about 15 yds. into the brush. No exit hole in the pig, but the 6.5 creedmoor did take it down. We found only one small spot of blood on the trail the pig had taken. It might have been a difficult trailing job had it been dark. I knew the pig was hit hard by the way it was running and knew we would find it within a hundred yards or so, but the vegetation around here can be nasty. Lots of greenbrier, blackberry, honey locust, etc...

In the end....we didn't have to wait very long for the hog to show up, that was a blessing. But I think I'm going to wait until the end of September before going on any more evening hunts.

One less pig.

Last edited by flintknapper; 08/05/16 10:41 AM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: So hot...almost not worth it.....! [Re: flintknapper] #6395421 08/05/16 05:20 AM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
GOOD pig ! And Creedmoor does it again

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: So hot...almost not worth it.....! [Re: flintknapper] #6395741 08/05/16 03:22 PM
R
Reds015 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
Nice pig! That one very fortunate kill.

This heat is a challenge. I tried spot and stalk in the wood a few weeks ago, because I had that itch. Before I knew it, I was over a mile in. I didn't think I was going to make it back.

Re: So hot...almost not worth it.....! [Re: flintknapper] #6395907 08/05/16 06:14 PM
P
PlanoPigHunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
Oh yeah,that's a nice one! WTG!

Re: So hot...almost not worth it.....! [Re: flintknapper] #6396097 08/05/16 09:25 PM
M
mikei Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Well done! Nice hog! I've found that they are very hard to "pattern," have spent a great deal of quality time sitting, waiting, expecting (hoping) the hog that "appeared every evening at 8:15pm" for two weeks, only to become a no-show on the nights I was waiting to ambush them. I guess that's why they call it "hunting."

Last edited by mikei; 08/05/16 09:33 PM.
Re: So hot...almost not worth it.....! [Re: flintknapper] #6396355 08/06/16 01:23 AM
J
JRJ6 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Very nice!

Re: So hot...almost not worth it.....! [Re: flintknapper] #6396568 08/06/16 10:59 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Nice job, guys. It is hot, but the hogs are always somewhere, LOL. Somebody has to shoot them!

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: So hot...almost not worth it.....! [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6396969 08/06/16 08:31 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Nice job, guys. It is hot, but the hogs are always somewhere, LOL. Somebody has to shoot them!
up

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: So hot...almost not worth it.....! [Re: flintknapper] #6397062 08/06/16 10:23 PM
Lance Vick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Great pig clap clap

Contact Lance@texashuntingland.com
www.texashuntingland.com
Deadend Outfitters
903-312-0609 Lance Vick
Fun begins where the road ends,
www.deadendoutfitters.com
www.guideonlakefork.com
Re: So hot...almost not worth it.....! [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6397073 08/06/16 10:36 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

^^^^^^ True.

We needn't have been so miserable....had I thought to have opened the box stand prior to our hunt. I have a 12 volt fan in the stand, but I don't like to run it within an hour of when I expect hogs to show up...because it makes a bit of noise.

We were fortunate the pig showed up so quickly. I've had other encounters (in the heat of the day) where hogs were moving when you might expect them to be bedded up somewhere shady.

I have trail cam pics suggesting they (pigs) get up and move about (sometimes going to a water source) about every 3-4 hrs in really hot weather. I don't believe they just 'hole up' and suffer through the entire day waiting for temperatures to abate.

I doubt they 'travel' very far in the heat, but I am convinced they do move around some during the day.

Anyway, this one caught us a little off guard.

He seemed really 'interested' in the bait we put out earlier in the day. He was actually standing on corn that I had hand broadcast around the feeder...but looking at the bait hole a few feet away and sort of testing the air.

I had about a dozen 'yard eggs' that my in-laws had given me last week...so I took those and few cups of corn and stirred it all up in the bait hole with a stick.

I would have been interested to see if the hog liked that concoction, but as it worked out...we shot him before he committed to the bait.

Re: So hot...almost not worth it.....! [Re: flintknapper] #6397235 08/07/16 01:55 AM
D
der Teufel Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
Nice job.

In the summer months I often wait until about an hour before sunup to go out. The hogs often seem to get a late start when it's hot, and frequently stay out 'til the sun rises. Of course, they're hogs so nothing is ever guaranteed.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: So hot...almost not worth it.....! [Re: flintknapper] #6397374 08/07/16 05:14 AM
nak Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
Great pig. Hunting in the heat beats not hunting at all

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: So hot...almost not worth it.....! [Re: nak] #6403776 08/11/16 06:31 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Coyotes and Buzzards made short work of the 'recycling' process of the Boar my Brother dispatched.

Thought I'd go check and see what was left. After only 48 hrs...the only things I could find were the Skull and Mandible, one shoulder blade, one hoof and bunch of hair on the ground.

Otherwise...you'd never know we put a 200+ lb. pig out in the pasture.

It always amazes me how quickly they consume/clean up the carcass.

Saved the Skull for my Brother. It will need to 'bleach out' in the Sun for awhile.

Re: So hot...almost not worth it.....! [Re: flintknapper] #6405778 08/12/16 10:13 PM
R
Reds015 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
Whoa! Wicked! Thats a nice trophy there... I hope I'm lucky enough one day...

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide