Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics536,621
Posts9,715,000
Members86,971
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Hog hunt / kill shot on video / ATN X-Sight II ballistic calculator #6407157 08/14/16 02:31 AM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Was another great hunt at Wolf Pen Hog Hunts. Always have a great time there.

Last edited by jtprocaddie; 08/14/16 02:32 AM.

Joseph Trousdale
Host Texas Game Hunters TV
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Hog hunt / kill shot on video / ATN X-Sight II ballistic calculator [Re: TXGH] #6407178 08/14/16 02:51 AM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Boaring ...

cheers

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Hog hunt / kill shot on video / ATN X-Sight II ballistic calculator [Re: Pig_Popper] #6407199 08/14/16 03:06 AM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper
Boaring ...

cheers

Lol ty

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Hog hunt / kill shot on video / ATN X-Sight II ballistic calculator [Re: TXGH] #6407878 08/14/16 08:31 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
That was a lot of bacon on the hoof. I have only seen a sounder come running in like that once, and we weren't expecting it and it was very early in my hunting career so it freaked us out. Would love to see it again

Re: Hog hunt / kill shot on video / ATN X-Sight II ballistic calculator [Re: TXGH] #6407903 08/14/16 08:57 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Well, I didn't watch the whole video — it kinda exceeded my attention span. sleep

However, I was (am) confused about the reference to the ballistic calculator. Is it necessary to use the ballistic calculator for a 40-yard shot with the X-Sight?
--

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Hog hunt / kill shot on video / ATN X-Sight II ballistic calculator [Re: TXGH] #6407954 08/14/16 09:38 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
If you have it sighted it on a range (say 100 yds), turn the calculator on with your environmentals and round characteristics, then change the range to your new point... it will "move" the reticle/zero to support the new distance. I have to admit that's pretty neat if it works.

There is a range finder on the scope as well.

I gave up on my X-Sight-I and bought one of MDMorrow's Thor castoffs. smile

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Hog hunt / kill shot on video / ATN X-Sight II ballistic calculator [Re: der Teufel] #6408651 08/15/16 12:24 PM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: der Teufel
Well, I didn't watch the whole video — it kinda exceeded my attention span. sleep

However, I was (am) confused about the reference to the ballistic calculator. Is it necessary to use the ballistic calculator for a 40-yard shot with the X-Sight?
--

My .223/5.56 sighted in at 100 usually shoots 2 inches low at 50 yards and 3 at 25. With the ballistic calculator there is no more guess work and I am dead on at any yardage.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Hog hunt / kill shot on video / ATN X-Sight II ballistic calculator [Re: TXGH] #6408743 08/15/16 01:43 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
It appears the ballistic calculations are made in # of Feet, so if you have a newbie at the controls lets look at yards versus feet.

50 yards = 150 ft

100 yards = 300 ft

500 yards = 1500 ft

Depending on the field for user input of distance it could have a pretty big effect on moving the reticle.

An interesting test would be to setup a target at 50 yards (gun zerod) at 100 and enter your calculation for 50 yards (150 ft) and take a shot. And then purposely input an erroneous value of 500 yards (1500 ft) and take another shot.

See what the variance is at 50 yards and then carry that out to 500.

Point being that this type of technology, while useful if it works, can also be dangerous and simply adding an extra zero or calculating for a shot at one location transitioning to another location and forgetting to change the distance value could send bullets over target , over the horizon , and we all know who is ultimately responsible for where the bullet lands...

Can you pull off this test for us JTPRo?

Last edited by Pig_Popper; 08/15/16 05:33 PM.

Re: Hog hunt / kill shot on video / ATN X-Sight II ballistic calculator [Re: TXGH] #6408908 08/15/16 03:45 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by jtprocaddie
Originally Posted by der Teufel

--

My .223/5.56 sighted in at 100 usually shoots 2 inches low at 50 yards and 3 at 25. With the ballistic calculator there is no more guess work and I am dead on at any yardage.

Ok , maybe we don't want to ask that JTPRO do the testing - are there any other Xsight II users out there monitoring this thread that are willing to assist?

Note: I watched your TXgamehunters ballistic calculator tutorial, posted below. At 7:33 you shoot a round at the upper right target, the bullet clearly lands at 3" high and 1" right but you deem it to have landed 14" left and 4" down ..... "Be back I have to make a few adjustments" and when you return the upper left target is shot all to hell !!! confused2

Sorry but it just isn't results I'm willing to trust.

Disclaimer: Don't get me wrong, the ballistic calculator is a function that interests me (for shots past 200 yards not for 40 yards) and I don't care what brand the scope is so this isn't an Xsight II bash fest. The test scenario above would be a good test to determine parameters for use and then more testing would benefit consumers in making a decision whether the BC will work for them.

Re: Hog hunt / kill shot on video / ATN X-Sight II ballistic calculator [Re: Pig_Popper] #6409507 08/15/16 10:32 PM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: jtprocaddie

--

Ok , maybe we don't want to ask that JTPRO do the testing - are there any other Xsight II users out there monitoring this thread that are willing to assist?

Note: I watched your TXgamehunters ballistic calculator tutorial, posted below. At 7:33 you shoot a round at the upper right target, the bullet clearly lands at 3" high and 1" right but you deem it to have landed 14" left and 4" down ..... "Be back I have to make a few adjustments" and when you return the upper left target is shot all to hell !!! confused2 .....

My sight was not sighted in and so I cut out the part where I sighted in and its 7 shots to re sights in. I was originally looking at a hole that was NOT the bullet hole my rifle was making haha.

I have not tested it beyond 100 yards yet as my range is not that long. There was on eof our users who used it on his .22lr out to 200 with no issues. And as you can see from the videos above from 100 down to 25 its dead on every time (except when I make a bad shot.)

I am not even going to go in on your consistent negativity towards every post I make and every post regarding the X-Sight. Clearly you are not impressed with it, and that is what is best for you.

That was not even the point of this video.. This video was meant to be an enjoyable hunting video, and I mentioned what I was using.

If you think everyone's tutorial is sub-par then shut up, buy one and do one yourself. Until then I guess we can expect you to keep up with the sofa commentary.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Hog hunt / kill shot on video / ATN X-Sight II ballistic calculator [Re: TXGH] #6409918 08/16/16 01:36 AM
P
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P

--

Note: I watched your TXgamehunters ballistic calculator tutorial, posted below. At 7:33 you shoot a round at the upper right target, the bullet clearly lands at 3" high and 1" right but you deem it to have landed 14" left and 4" down ..... "Be back I have to make a few adjustments" and when you return the upper left target is shot all to hell !!! confused2 .....

My sight was not sighted in and so I cut out the part where I sighted in and its 7 shots to re sights in. I was originally looking at a hole that was NOT the bullet hole my rifle was making haha.

I have not tested it beyond 100 yards yet as my range is not that long. There was on eof our users who used it on his .22lr out to 200 with no issues. And as you can see from the videos above from 100 down to 25 its dead on every time (except when I make a bad shot.)

I am not even going to go in on your consistent negativity towards every post I make and every post regarding the X-Sight. Clearly you are not impressed with it, and that is what is best for you.

That was not even the point of this video.. This video was meant to be an enjoyable hunting video, and I mentioned what I was using.

If you think everyone's tutorial is sub-par then shut up, buy one and do one yourself. Until then I guess we can expect you to keep up with the sofa commentary.

A vendor with attitude !

Good luck with that

Re: Hog hunt / kill shot on video / ATN X-Sight II ballistic calculator [Re: Pig_Popper] #6410468 08/16/16 01:04 PM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T

A vendor with attitude !

Good luck with that

Nah I don't focus on the sale of these anymore as I am too busy with my day job, I mostly focus on the sale of the accessories to make a few extra $ to support my hunting habit. Mostly the Rubber caps for the USB port slot on these scopes that I make.

If I was trying to sell the scope here in this video, you would know it ;-)

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Hog hunt / kill shot on video / ATN X-Sight II ballistic calculator [Re: TXGH] #6410482 08/16/16 01:13 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
up

Last edited by Pig_Popper; 08/16/16 01:18 PM.

Re: Hog hunt / kill shot on video / ATN X-Sight II ballistic calculator [Re: TXGH] #6416994 08/20/16 05:43 PM
F
fr3db3ar Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
The ballistic calculator doesn't work worth a hoot on my 10/22. I have it zeroed at 25, all the correct data in place and I've tried dropping the velocity as low as 800 fps (CCI SV AMMO) and it still wont come up high enough to hit a 8" plate @ 100.

Last edited by fr3db3ar; 08/20/16 05:44 PM.
Re: Hog hunt / kill shot on video / ATN X-Sight II ballistic calculator [Re: fr3db3ar] #6417492 08/21/16 12:19 AM
240z Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
That was an awesome shot........40 yds. Great video too, I like watching a Chubby guy with sagging pants walking down a Ranch road with his cap turned around backwards.

Harley Davidson Motorcycles.....the most efficent way to convert gasoline into noise, without the side effects of Horsepower.
Re: Hog hunt / kill shot on video / ATN X-Sight II ballistic calculator [Re: fr3db3ar] #6419133 08/22/16 05:10 AM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: fr3db3ar
The ballistic calculator doesn't work worth a hoot on my 10/22. I have it zeroed at 25, all the correct data in place and I've tried dropping the velocity as low as 800 fps (CCI SV AMMO) and it still wont come up high enough to hit a 8" plate @ 100.

Zero it at 100 yards and then move to 25 and other yardages.. Try that.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Hog hunt / kill shot on video / ATN X-Sight II ballistic calculator [Re: 240z] #6419137 08/22/16 05:15 AM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: 240z
That was an awesome shot........40 yds. Great video too, I like watching a Chubby guy with sagging pants walking down a Ranch road with his cap turned around backwards.

Hat was backwards so when I put the rifle scope up my bill did not hit it. The X-Sight is a little higher than my typical rifle..

As far as the sagging pants.. Well that's why you don't forget your pack to put your water, knife, thermacell, and a few other supplies in, including the side arm.. And as you can see my belt is already working overtime, haha

But thanks for the reminder...

But I should feel honored that one of your 74 posts over 6 years was about my video.. Thank you sir! I would say I look forward to talking to you again, but the odds on that is slim.

Last edited by jtprocaddie; 08/22/16 05:16 AM.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide