Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Palo Pinto County Hogs, Pt. 3 Headshot #6171529 02/06/16 03:18 AM
Double Naught Spy Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Not all hunts go as planned and this was no exception. It was a tough night that ended up with a long stalk and some long head shots.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Palo Pinto County Hogs, Pt. 3 Headshot [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6171543 02/06/16 03:33 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
The last few videos are almost like watching an adventure. Great shooting (well except for the fence post). Were one of you shooting a suppressor?

Re: Palo Pinto County Hogs, Pt. 3 Headshot [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6171572 02/06/16 04:07 AM
L
Lonnie Paul Walker Jr. Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Nice videos !

Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

"Lonnie Walker Outdoors"
Outfitter / Professional Guide
Wildlife Consultant
817-598-5338

Re: Palo Pinto County Hogs, Pt. 3 Headshot [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6171604 02/06/16 04:57 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Thanks, guys! Hunting with dfwroadkill is something of an adventure!

Re: Palo Pinto County Hogs, Pt. 3 Headshot [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6171844 02/06/16 03:36 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Joe, yes, I shoot a suppressed 6.8 SPC. I hit the post. When there are two folks working side by side in the open and in the dark, a lot is going on trying to keep on target and yet communicate about when to shoot. In this case, the hogs had decided to leave and I wasn't certain DNS was ready at first. You sorta rush the process. With all that in my head and concentrating on the target, she passed the post just as the decision to fire had been made and was being carried out. Fractions of seconds occur in that process, but just enough that the post got in the way. I honestly never saw the post until the video. I was instantly confused by the fact she didn't go down, but got her as she wheeled and went the opposite way. DNS got her once she got up and went back right.

Anyway, I enjoy hunting with DNS a lot. There is a sleep deprivation element to all of this as I didn't get to bed until 5:30 on this night and had hunted until about 3 the two previous nights with little sleep. Your mind gets a little sluggish and weary. That's what I enjoy about DNS. You are guaranteed he will stick with it all night.

I have been taking several folks hunting lately. Many of them inexperienced....particularly in the area of how to use these scopes. It adds a lot of work to the hunt to have to supply, maintain and oversee the process of keeping one or two additional people in order on a hunt. Plus I have to pick the places and do some setting up and forethought. It has given me a new appreciation for guides. It is work and a lot of people don't see or appreciate that process. So, it is a pleasure to hunt with someone like DNS that is experienced and has his own gear.

up

Last edited by dfwroadkill; 02/06/16 03:38 PM.
Re: Palo Pinto County Hogs, Pt. 3 Headshot [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6171882 02/06/16 04:13 PM
Brook Trout Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Thanks for sharing. Great video! I really enjoyed watching.

Re: Palo Pinto County Hogs, Pt. 3 Headshot [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6171884 02/06/16 04:15 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
I have to laugh about the last part of the video. It was the end of the night and we saw the hogs out in the field, but they were way out there. It would be a long stalk. However, time was running out and dfw figured it would be out last chance to get on some hogs and so we gave it a go. I joked that the stalk was doomed from the beginning and it really was. The wind alone was a big factor. Then there was all the noise we had to make going through the field. We had gone a long way when the hogs finally busted us. I was pretty dejected at that point, but dfw said we should pursue them further and eventually they moved to where they were not down wind of us, but we ran into a fence that we weren't getting through in any sort of stealthy manner. So we set up to shoot. Turned out to be the best hunt of the night despite being over a half mile were where we started the stalk.

cheers

Re: Palo Pinto County Hogs, Pt. 3 Headshot [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6171948 02/06/16 05:00 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Way to go! Nice going by both of you.

I've been hunting the past few years with a buddy I know from high school. We were in Explorer Scouts together, and carpooled to college for a while. We hunted ducks, squirrels, rabbits, and on one (unsuccessful) occasion, deer together when we were (very much) younger. It's a real pleasure to hunt with someone who's compatible with your style.

As I get older, it's also nice to hunt with someone who is roughly the same age, with some of the same physical abilities/limitations. That way no one gets frustrated because their partner either wants to do something you can't, or can't do something you want to do.

But basically, good shooting and a very nice video.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Palo Pinto County Hogs, Pt. 3 Headshot [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6171958 02/06/16 05:07 PM
stxhunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Nice video! Really enjoy watching your night hunting adventures! I wish I could get out and hunt more or at least find somewhere within reasonable driving distance!!

www.bigpiglights.com
Specializing in Hog Hunting and Night Vision Equipment
(956)793-0904
Re: Palo Pinto County Hogs, Pt. 3 Headshot [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6172073 02/06/16 06:36 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I agree with all of that der Teufel. DNS and I both enjoy hunting at night a lot...it is a passion. Sometimes the plan works, sometimes not. It is the willingness to press further that often results in success. What DNS did not relate is that he had an appointment for the 2nd half of a root canal for Friday morning with about a 2 hour drive to get back home and get ready for. That is why he was less aggressive about pursuing them when they busted the first time. By going forward we completed the most difficult and successful hunt of the night....and pushed the limit on time.

We were new to this property which increased the challenge. We were unaware of the large drainage ditch between two pastures which had small ponds and mud along with tall reeds. There was crunchy vegetation on the pasture that we were unare of also. With the wind at our back, we attempted to flank them and lessen that effect. However, in the end we would have had to walk a much wider swath to get that done and time was pressing.

Another observation is that had we not had thermal, I don't think we would have founf DNS's pig. Might have found mine with something else though.

stxhunter... There are places out there. You have to get a foothold and then it becomes about relationships. There is a rancher that leases the land I hunt on...my main place. He was standoffish at first. Slow to warm. I helped him with his cattle a few times and things started to change. He eventually became friendly. His family owns a lot of land in the area and happen to have quite a lot of hogs that like to destroy their wheat fields. He came to me and asked if I could help by hunting them. Well, dang... It just takes time and a willingness to reciprocate. Be patient, build trust and relationships. Best of luck on finding something for you sir...

Re: Palo Pinto County Hogs, Pt. 3 Headshot [Re: dfwroadkill] #6172189 02/06/16 09:11 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
stxhunter... There are places out there. You have to get a foothold and then it becomes about relationships. There is a rancher that leases the land I hunt on...my main place. He was standoffish at first. Slow to warm. I helped him with his cattle a few times and things started to change. He eventually became friendly. His family owns a lot of land in the area and happen to have quite a lot of hogs that like to destroy their wheat fields. He came to me and asked if I could help by hunting them. Well, dang... It just takes time and a willingness to reciprocate. Be patient, build trust and relationships. Best of luck on finding something for you sir...

This is very true. I don't have time to hunt as often as would like, but I have actually been given permission to hunt on more places than my limited time budget can manage. All of this came about due to contact with friends. You never know when an opportunity will come along. Often, when I go to a party, I bring some sausage for a snack and mention to the hosts that it's from a feral hog I shot. They generally find that interesting, and tell their guests. On a couple of occasions, other guests whom I didn't even know have come up to me and offered an opportunity to shoot hogs on property they own.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Palo Pinto County Hogs, Pt. 3 Headshot [Re: dfwroadkill] #6172246 02/06/16 10:48 PM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Joe, yes, I shoot a suppressed 6.8 SPC. I hit the post. When there are two folks working side by side in the open and in the dark, a lot is going on trying to keep on target and yet communicate about when to shoot. In this case, the hogs had decided to leave and I wasn't certain DNS was ready at first. You sorta rush the process. With all that in my head and concentrating on the target, she passed the post just as the decision to fire had been made and was being carried out. Fractions of seconds occur in that process, but just enough that the post got in the way. I honestly never saw the post until the video. I was instantly confused by the fact she didn't go down, but got her as she wheeled and went the opposite way. DNS got her once she got up and went back right.

Anyway, I enjoy hunting with DNS a lot. There is a sleep deprivation element to all of this as I didn't get to bed until 5:30 on this night and had hunted until about 3 the two previous nights with little sleep. Your mind gets a little sluggish and weary. That's what I enjoy about DNS. You are guaranteed he will stick with it all night.

I have been taking several folks hunting lately. Many of them inexperienced....particularly in the area of how to use these scopes. It adds a lot of work to the hunt to have to supply, maintain and oversee the process of keeping one or two additional people in order on a hunt. Plus I have to pick the places and do some setting up and forethought. It has given me a new appreciation for guides. It is work and a lot of people don't see or appreciate that process. So, it is a pleasure to hunt with someone like DNS that is experienced and has his own gear.

up

I've been doing quite a bit of night hunting lately, and you're right about it bring more difficult. The hardest thing for me is judging range, and not having a monocular for scanning. I was hunting back in December when I had pigs change direction and walk back towards me. I didn't see them, but heard them grunting very close. When I turned on my scope the pigs were right on top of me. I shot he biggest pig in the group at 20 yards. Adding another person into the mix adds a whole new level of complexity. Trying to do a count down and take simultaneous shots has proven to be challenging. I'm hoping thermal cost continues coming down in cost so I can buy one in the very

Last edited by bigjoe8565; 02/06/16 10:49 PM.
Re: Palo Pinto County Hogs, Pt. 3 Headshot [Re: dfwroadkill] #6172907 02/07/16 05:17 PM
stxhunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker

Thanks for the insight, I always keep me ears open for new places to hunt. If you ever need another hunter give me a shout!

www.bigpiglights.com
Specializing in Hog Hunting and Night Vision Equipment
(956)793-0904
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide