Print Thread
Cervical Spondylosis #7051290 01/24/18 05:38 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Diagnosed after MRI. C5-6 with severe central spine canal stenosis and severe right neural foraminal narrowing. My primary DR says its serious and could cause paralysis. Went to Spine DR today and after looking at the images, turns to me and starts making cutting motion with her fingers. Says you need surgery. After talking about a friend of mine that recently had back surgery and isn't doing well, DR agreed to try spine injections first. I had injections two years ago for lower back disc problems and only got minimal relief. I'm 58 and fat!. Anyone had similar diagnosis/treatment?

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Cervical Spondylosis [Re: Jimbo1] #7052023 01/25/18 02:35 AM
L
LoneStarSon Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I would consider consulting with a rheumatologist. What you have is osteoarthritis of your cervical spine. It is common...now, yours does sound severe, so surgery probably will be in order. You're gonna want a darn good surgeon. The rheumatologist, your GP, and the surgeon should be consulting one another. Surgeons cut...it's what they do and that's okay, but that doesn't mean surgery is the only option. Get a few more opinions. Your weight really shouldn't have that much bearing on your cervical spine surgery....However, losing weight probably ain't gonna hurt.

Re: Cervical Spondylosis [Re: Jimbo1] #7052939 01/25/18 10:11 PM
Exbellicus Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Coming from someone who works in the medical field at a much lower level than a surgeon - get at LEAST one other opinion. It sounds snobby, can be expensive and time consuming, but if you ask 5 different doctors a medical question you could very possibly get 5 different answers depending on where and how long ago they went to school, similar case experience, how active they are in continuing education, etc.

Re: Cervical Spondylosis [Re: Jimbo1] #7053100 01/26/18 12:41 AM
W
Walkabout Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
W
Cervical stenosis. Yeah still in recovery it's not something to take lightly. Had a minor accident at work and I was paralyzed from the neck down. Laying on the floor unable to move was a surreal situation. I slowly recovered feeling in the emergency room but not all feeling. I didn't need a second opinion or even consider "alternative " treatment. My surgeon cleared a slot in his schedule one week after looking at the MRIs. Your surgeon will perform a laminectomy and repair the spinal column. You will probably have some hardware depending on how many discs are fused. Hopefully, you will have no cord damage it is a slow recovery. We repaired and fused C3-4-5-6. I am 11 months out of surgery at 62 and in excellent health. I was bike riding up to 100 miles per day prior to accident and surgery. Just started riding again I'm up to 14 miles. If you are repairing 5-6 that is good news in that you will recover most all of your range of motion. The lower in the cervical column the easier the recovery. Good luck to you sir.

Re: Cervical Spondylosis [Re: Jimbo1] #7060910 02/01/18 12:54 AM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Thanks for the replies. Some good info. My neck spasms are getting more intense. I thought about it again and did a lot of research this last weekend and decided the injections were just putting off the inevitable. Called the DR's office back on Monday to let them know I want to proceed and she's so busy I can't get back in until Feb 21st, but I am on a list if someone cancels before then. Maybe I can have the procedure in March and have the rest of spring to recover.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Cervical Spondylosis [Re: Jimbo1] #7060919 02/01/18 01:08 AM
W
Walkabout Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
W
Great, hope all goes well. You will be forced to sleep on your back for quite a while. You cannot roll or move to your side. This is going to get uncomfortable very quick especially if you are a big guy. I would HIGHLY suggest that you have a full size or man size recliner. You cannot go through recovery in bed or on a couch. You can find a comfortable position in the recliner that will greatly assist your pain management. Good luck on your surgery.

Re: Cervical Spondylosis [Re: Jimbo1] #7136088 04/08/18 11:42 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Had my surgery Thursday afternoon, took 4 1/2 hours. Got home Saturday afternoon, too much drainage to go home FRI. Replaced C5-6, had 99% blockage, fused 4-7.Blew out a vein in my left hand, right through the palm. Luckily no real damage. My right arm and hand is very weak due to them having to pin it down as it kept trying to retract. Sure hope it gets better soon. Having to wear the cervical collar 24x7 for 2 full months is going to suck big time. No more carrying corn sacks on the head ever again either. Not going to be a fun Spring.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Cervical Spondylosis [Re: LoneStarSon] #7139372 04/12/18 06:53 PM
N
NewGulf Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: LoneStarSon
I would consider consulting with a rheumatologist. What you have is osteoarthritis of your cervical spine. It is common...now, yours does sound severe, so surgery probably will be in order. You're gonna want a darn good surgeon. The rheumatologist, your GP, and the surgeon should be consulting one another. Surgeons cut...it's what they do and that's okay, but that doesn't mean surgery is the only option. Get a few more opinions. Your weight really shouldn't have that much bearing on your cervical spine surgery....However, losing weight probably ain't gonna hurt.

this right here. i have rhuematoid and anklosing spondylytis which effects the spine and a good RA Dr can help you a lot......ive also had the injections in my back and they didnt help me much at all. stretching and LOSING WEIGHT is going to help you more than you could ever imagine. Good Luck!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide