Print Thread
Clean 20 Diet #7162376 05/07/18 03:16 AM
O
Okiedog Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
O
Has anybody tried it or know anything about it?

Re: Clean 20 Diet [Re: Okiedog] #7164145 05/08/18 09:04 PM
Exbellicus Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Disclaimer: I've just briefly scanned over this diet.

So pick any of these 'fad diets' going around and if you stick to them they'll work. For the mass majority of people, they work for one reason. That reason is calories. Whether it's keto, paleo, whole 30, atkins, shakeology, smoothies, blah blah blah they're all the same real concept when it comes down to weight loss. The most important thing about any of them is that you stick to it. Don't get caught up in the fancy nutrition terminology with their superfoods and organic grass-fed potatoes. You don't need to worry about reprogramming your body to burn animal fats. The latest trendy diet doesn't have a sudden discovery of a nutritional secret. It's simple....if you eat less calories then you expend, you will lose weight. The challenging part is finding which diet is realistic and sustainable permanently for you. Obviously no matter which one you choose you will have to make changes from what's normal for you, but some are just a matter of eating less of what you normally eat.

While I'm ranting, please don't mistake weight loss for nutrition. They are not at all the same thing. Just because you're losing weight does not mean you're eating healthy and nutritious. If your main goal is weight loss, you can eat only twinkies and as long as you're consuming less calories than you're burning you will lose weight.

If I had to make a recommendation for the average person to pursue their weight loss venture it would be this:

1. Try Whole 30. Don't buy any books...google it a little bit and get the gist of it. The basic concept is it locks you in to making better food choices. This is a great first step and if you can make yourself eat healthy foods for a month, you will feel better, look better, and have a good foundation for making good food choices. Stay off the scale. You will be losing weight, but if you weigh yourself more than once a week you're just asking for a big punch in your motivational balls. Also, don't try to emulate the crap you're not allowed to eat. There's no reason to spend $20 on a package of almond flour so you can make fake pizza crust and be disappointed that you're not eating pizza. Save that for your cheat meal. EVENTUALLY once you have this diet thing down...sure give it a shot. There are actually some decent alternative to bread, cake, and dough out there. You're not ready for that yet. Just eat real food.

2. Download MyFitnessPal. It's a free app that has preprogrammed calorie info for everything you can buy at a grocery store or order from a chain restauraunt. If you're feeling courageous, start tracking some during your whole 30 month. Even if you don't stick to the calorie goals it recommends yet, it will give you a baseline idea of how many calories the things you normally eat actually are.

3. After whole30, keep the same routine (if you like it), but now start adding in one cheat meal (NOT A CHEAT DAY FATTY) once a week. I prefer a dinner cheat meal, because if I do it at breakfast I have a really really hard time eating good the rest of the day. At this point you're basically doing a Paleo or Keto style diet. The hardcore bros might disagree on some technicalities (sweet potatoes), but they're more or less the same concept.

4. Get a food scale (they can be had for $10 on amazon) and start weighing out your meat portions. You can weight veggies too if you want, but they're so low calorie generally that 30 calories here and there isn't going to make a big difference once you get a good guestimate down.

5. You no longer need to follow anyone else's diet plan. Count your calories, drink a beer or two (those are in the app too) and enjoy your life.

Disclaimer: People are jackasses. They're going to be jealous of your effort to make yourself better and ridicule you for it. Recognize that you're awesome and they're just mad because they wish they had the drive.

Re: Clean 20 Diet [Re: Okiedog] #7171534 05/16/18 06:33 PM
C
Cherokee Mingan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I have started and failed several times but now I think I am ready. I realize that going to the gym and lifting alone is not going to satisfy my goals. Instead I need to focus more on my diet. I know this because I have done it in the past and dropped from 235 to 205. That is where I want to be again. Everything stated above is true and is pretty much what I did. Just eat clean, if not sure then look at the ingredients and if there is a word you can't pronounce then it's off limits.

I enjoyed this diet because I could eat a big portion of fruits and veggies which was satisfying to me and helped me succeed. But my biggest hurdle was not drinking alcohol due to social life and that I really like beer.

Now that I haven't had a beer for an entire month, I have proven to myself that I can do this. Day one started (again) this Monday. But I feel good about this time.

Last edited by Cherokee Mingan; 05/16/18 06:34 PM.
Re: Clean 20 Diet [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7172920 05/18/18 10:53 AM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Good stuff......just make simple small changes over time.

Re: Clean 20 Diet [Re: Exbellicus] #7196077 06/12/18 11:24 PM
HOF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Exbellicus
Disclaimer: I've just briefly scanned over this diet.

So pick any of these 'fad diets' going around and if you stick to them they'll work. For the mass majority of people, they work for one reason. That reason is calories. Whether it's keto, paleo, whole 30, atkins, shakeology, smoothies, blah blah blah they're all the same real concept when it comes down to weight loss. The most important thing about any of them is that you stick to it. Don't get caught up in the fancy nutrition terminology with their superfoods and organic grass-fed potatoes. You don't need to worry about reprogramming your body to burn animal fats. The latest trendy diet doesn't have a sudden discovery of a nutritional secret. It's simple....if you eat less calories then you expend, you will lose weight. The challenging part is finding which diet is realistic and sustainable permanently for you. Obviously no matter which one you choose you will have to make changes from what's normal for you, but some are just a matter of eating less of what you normally eat.

While I'm ranting, please don't mistake weight loss for nutrition. They are not at all the same thing. Just because you're losing weight does not mean you're eating healthy and nutritious. If your main goal is weight loss, you can eat only twinkies and as long as you're consuming less calories than you're burning you will lose weight.

If I had to make a recommendation for the average person to pursue their weight loss venture it would be this:

1. Try Whole 30. Don't buy any books...google it a little bit and get the gist of it. The basic concept is it locks you in to making better food choices. This is a great first step and if you can make yourself eat healthy foods for a month, you will feel better, look better, and have a good foundation for making good food choices. Stay off the scale. You will be losing weight, but if you weigh yourself more than once a week you're just asking for a big punch in your motivational balls. Also, don't try to emulate the crap you're not allowed to eat. There's no reason to spend $20 on a package of almond flour so you can make fake pizza crust and be disappointed that you're not eating pizza. Save that for your cheat meal. EVENTUALLY once you have this diet thing down...sure give it a shot. There are actually some decent alternative to bread, cake, and dough out there. You're not ready for that yet. Just eat real food.

2. Download MyFitnessPal. It's a free app that has preprogrammed calorie info for everything you can buy at a grocery store or order from a chain restauraunt. If you're feeling courageous, start tracking some during your whole 30 month. Even if you don't stick to the calorie goals it recommends yet, it will give you a baseline idea of how many calories the things you normally eat actually are.

3. After whole30, keep the same routine (if you like it), but now start adding in one cheat meal (NOT A CHEAT DAY FATTY) once a week. I prefer a dinner cheat meal, because if I do it at breakfast I have a really really hard time eating good the rest of the day. At this point you're basically doing a Paleo or Keto style diet. The hardcore bros might disagree on some technicalities (sweet potatoes), but they're more or less the same concept.

4. Get a food scale (they can be had for $10 on amazon) and start weighing out your meat portions. You can weight veggies too if you want, but they're so low calorie generally that 30 calories here and there isn't going to make a big difference once you get a good guestimate down.

5. You no longer need to follow anyone else's diet plan. Count your calories, drink a beer or two (those are in the app too) and enjoy your life.

Disclaimer: People are jackasses. They're going to be jealous of your effort to make yourself better and ridicule you for it. Recognize that you're awesome and they're just mad because they wish they had the drive.

I would say this is mostly spot on. The one thing I'll add is having b the wife on the same page is a game changer.

Searching the world over for the perfect Chile Relleno.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide