Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics536,992
Posts9,719,215
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Moore Plantation - Turkeys, Predators, Wildlife Management #6746668 04/26/17 05:23 PM
T
Tjack28 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
I was curious as to whether or not anyone does any predator hunting or trapping in or around the Moore Plantation? Today I spoke with Cody Dunagan who manages Moore Plantation and I told him about some of the things that we've started at Gus Engling WMA to help with the turkey population, and wanted to see if we could get something going out at the Moore for the same reason.

Each year our NWTF chapter hosts a youth event at Gus Engling to teach the youth and their chaperones about wildlife management through predator control and why it's important for eastern wild turkey. Jason Harden and Kyle Hand teach about eastern wild turkey subspecies and their habitat, and we have Don Hightower and Kieth Jackson from the Texas Trappers and Fur Hunters Association to come out and teach about trapping, and they actually take the group out to set traps and trap a few predators. The trapping segment also includes feral hog eradication through snares, traps and shooting off baited sites.

Don Hightower volunteered to go back and train the staff at Gus Engling in the various methods of trapping and snaring and they've been putting a hurting on the bogs and coyotes as their main focus is turkey survival. Don is supposed to go train at a few more WMA's later this year and has said that he doesn't mind training on other Wildlife management area and Co-ops, so that's why I contacted Cody to see if there was already a predator management plan in place.

Moore plantation doesn't have the staff that Gus Engling has, but Cody is interested in getting something going. For those of you like who love turkey hunting like I do, you know predator control plays a big part in increasing those turkey numbers, and with all the great habitat work taking place on the Moore thinning out a few predators will make the turkey hunting even better.

I'm looking to connect with any trappers, predator hunters, organizations, or people just wanting to learn how, so we can get something started annually to go into the Moore and put a hurting on the coyotes, hogs, bobcats and coons. I know we can't get ride of them all but if we can manage the population to some extent to make a difference in the turkey and even the quail population out there. I actually heard my first quail on the Sabine on last week.

Let me know if any of you are interested or know someone who is so we can collaborate with Cody and the guys from TTFHA to get something going..

T. Jackson
NWTF, Harris County Wildlife Group
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
http://www.facebook.com/pages/NWTF-Harris-County-Wildlife-Group/111234152254353
Re: Moore Plantation - Turkeys, Predators, Wildlife Management [Re: Tjack28] #6752280 05/02/17 04:13 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
cheers awesome... First got on forum got to know member from that area threw pm's... Was planning a trip their, bang money got tight... Cool info Best wishes... flag

Last edited by colt.45; 05/02/17 04:14 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: Moore Plantation - Turkeys, Predators, Wildlife Management [Re: Tjack28] #6752326 05/02/17 04:51 PM
T
Tjack28 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Hope to drum up a lot more interest and get a few volunteers who don't mind learning trapping methods and going out on a trapping/predator hunting excursion for a few days once or twice a year. Even if you're an experienced trapper who just wants to get out and volunteer your skills and put the smack down on some predators, we need some folks who can make themselves available to make this happen. If anyone wants more info and would like to discuss further just send me a message to my inbox and we'll swap contact info. Heck anyone who like to hunt turkeys on public land should be interested in helping to make this happen.

T. Jackson
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
Re: Moore Plantation - Turkeys, Predators, Wildlife Management [Re: Tjack28] #6823203 07/15/17 05:18 AM
T
Tjack28 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Still looking for participants...

T. Jackson
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
Re: Moore Plantation - Turkeys, Predators, Wildlife Management [Re: Tjack28] #6823233 07/15/17 10:25 AM
M
Mike Mathena Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
I bet i can get my hunting buddy and myself to help out. I can probly get my son and a couple of co-workers talked into it. You mentioned volunteers which is fine but, is there any cash out of pocket on our end to do this?

Go get in the woods
Re: Moore Plantation - Turkeys, Predators, Wildlife Management [Re: Tjack28] #6823422 07/15/17 05:21 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Any updates ?

When OSBWMA opened up ta public... They had plans ta flood area, even had maps of what it would look like.... Sabine river is N boundry & the old channel pretty much S boundry...
They released turkeys, the flooding hurt more than the coins, yotes & such... Not sure if they allowed trapping or snares on WMA, they did have coon hunts, not sure of yotes, hunts, scratch think it was under the fur regulation, each WMA is different...
Volunteered my time Jan-March hog hunts, back then, hunters were the eyes & ears, jad ta fill out form going in & out... Not as exterminator, lots of people were looking for hog hunts, still are...

Do they also allow fur hunts their ? flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Moore Plantation - Turkeys, Predators, Wildlife Management [Re: Mike Mathena] #6823597 07/15/17 09:43 PM
T
Tjack28 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Gas to get there and if you're not up for roughing it and camping out in tents, I know folks up there with a Marina on Toledo Bend who might be willing to work a deal with us on cabins, but can't accommodate a very large group.

Typically on these type of events, as our chapter members has put together multiple group hunts/events, we usually chip in on food items and a few of us will contribute some of our wild game harvests such as venison, turkey, hogs and fish...etc. It's still in the very early stages, but this event will evolve based on the input of both trappers and volunteers, so we're open to suggestions.

Moore plantation doesn't have the staff that other WMA's have so this is en effort to both help them out as well as the resources that we utilize, namely turkey and deer. This is a decision that a few of us made due to a need including the trappers coming out to train other volunteers, but many of us are always looking for a reason to get back out in the woods. Heck I guess if you trap a few yotes, foxes and cats maybe those furs will help out with the gas...

Originally Posted By: Mike Mathena
I bet i can get my hunting buddy and myself to help out. I can probly get my son and a couple of co-workers talked into it. You mentioned volunteers which is fine but, is there any cash out of pocket on our end to do this?

T. Jackson
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
Re: Moore Plantation - Turkeys, Predators, Wildlife Management [Re: 1860.colt] #6823601 07/15/17 09:50 PM
T
Tjack28 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
I need to check the annual and public lands regulations, but fur trapping is allowed there as far as I know, and the WMA manager said he was on board with it.

Originally Posted By: colt.45
Any updates ?

When OSBWMA opened up ta public... They had plans ta flood area, even had maps of what it would look like.... Sabine river is N boundry & the old channel pretty much S boundry...
They released turkeys, the flooding hurt more than the coins, yotes & such... Not sure if they allowed trapping or snares on WMA, they did have coon hunts, not sure of yotes, hunts, scratch think it was under the fur regulation, each WMA is different...
Volunteered my time Jan-March hog hunts, back then, hunters were the eyes & ears, jad ta fill out form going in & out... Not as exterminator, lots of people were looking for hog hunts, still are...

Do they also allow fur hunts their ? flag

T. Jackson
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
Re: Moore Plantation - Turkeys, Predators, Wildlife Management [Re: Tjack28] #6823619 07/15/17 10:22 PM
M
Mike Mathena Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
So, its trapping and snare only? I'll have to take that course myself, which isn't a bad thing. I think it would be a cool weekend, camping aint a big deal

Go get in the woods
Re: Moore Plantation - Turkeys, Predators, Wildlife Management [Re: Mike Mathena] #6830959 07/22/17 06:58 PM
T
Tjack28 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
You can predator hunt a well.

Originally Posted By: Mike Mathena
So, its trapping and snare only? I'll have to take that course myself, which isn't a bad thing. I think it would be a cool weekend, camping aint a big deal

T. Jackson
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
Re: Moore Plantation - Turkeys, Predators, Wildlife Management [Re: Tjack28] #6831497 07/23/17 03:22 PM
R
Rickybobby8 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
I am really thinking of choosing Moore as my public hunting land this year. It's my first year on public land. Reading about it appears to be big enough and not as much hunting pressure as say SHSP.

I do not know much about predator hunting, or what is even allowed. However depending on the date I may be able to make it up that way and learn. Will be going out there one of these upcoming weekends for a little scouting.

Re: Moore Plantation - Turkeys, Predators, Wildlife Management [Re: Tjack28] #6843222 08/03/17 01:38 AM
S
SpawnofChesty Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Love the idea Terrance. Let me know when your going.

Re: Moore Plantation - Turkeys, Predators, Wildlife Management [Re: SpawnofChesty] #6862277 08/20/17 03:41 AM
T
Tjack28 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Will do...most likely sometime between February and March. Will post actual dates once we know for sure what works best...

Originally Posted By: SpawnofChesty
Love the idea Terrance. Let me know when your going.

T. Jackson
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
Re: Moore Plantation - Turkeys, Predators, Wildlife Management [Re: Tjack28] #7104216 03/07/18 09:59 PM
T
Tjack28 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
So due to a swamped schedule I postponed putting this event on at Moore Plantation this winter/Spring. We will shoot for a date in the not so distant future to host it in an effort to help turkey and deer populations.

That said, we are doing our annual trapping and outdoor education at the Gus Engling WMA. Don and Kieth are still coming out to set traps on this Sunday and we will go out to check them on Monday morning. They will also be doing a beaver, coyote and feral hog snaring show for local landowner who are starting a co-op for a turkey release in the Anderson/Cherokee county area.

You guys are welcome to come out and participate in the trapping segment of the event.
The on Tuesday we will cover the wild turkey and habitat management segments. Lots of info, demonstrations, tours and even calling in real turkeys in the area for a photo/video contest.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you more info. Here is the flyer.. Outdoor Education Event Flyer

T. Jackson
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide