Print Thread
1st time applying for draw hunts #6387318 07/29/16 07:26 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline OP
Taking Requests
OP Offline
Taking Requests
S
I applied for 4 gun either sex deer hunts but wanted to know what your opinions are. What should I apply for as far as areas if I'm looking for descent deer quality and just nice landscape. I want to see some new areas I love draws and canyons. I already applied for Chaparral, Choke Canyon, Lake Mineral Wells, and Colorado Bend. Anyone got any other areas to suggest applying for.

Re: 1st time applying for draw hunts [Re: SapperTitan] #6387336 07/29/16 07:36 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
I like Gus Engling myself. Real pretty country and they take some really nice bucks out of there.

Re: 1st time applying for draw hunts [Re: Erny] #6387423 07/29/16 08:52 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline OP
Taking Requests
OP Offline
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Erny
I like Gus Engling myself. Real pretty country and they take some really nice bucks out of there.
up

Re: 1st time applying for draw hunts [Re: SapperTitan] #6388289 07/30/16 05:48 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
If you have a camper/or tent setup to use, and want to travel and see some really neat places...1. I'd expand my entry's to include EXO's and Mule Deer, I'd look at Garner SP, South Llano River SP, Guadalupe River/Honey Creek, the areas towards and up into the Panhandle like Caprock Canyon & others. Look at the Mule Deer drawing areas. Look at the SP/WMA's south and east of San Antonio, using I-37 , or Hwy 77 as the access routes

You are centrally located to reach all over the Hill Country in a One Day trip, and I'm doing this from memory while carrying on 2 other conversations....and am not doing a very good job of remembering all the places I've been or wanted to go.

Once upon a time I took a Texas Hwy Map and "walked" thru the TPW Booklet that was still available then ( and still use it to find exactly things are), and highlighted on that Road Map ALL the SP/WMA's that offered Hunts regardless of critter...and started doing what you are looking at doing right now...that's how I found several memorable places and experiences.
Have fun, it's a great way to Discover Texas and see something new.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 07/30/16 05:50 PM. Reason: spealling

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: 1st time applying for draw hunts [Re: SapperTitan] #6388500 07/30/16 10:03 PM
W
Whiptail Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W

I only apply for 1 hunt category per year until I build up at least 5 points and then I start putting in for multiple hunts but I'm not very lucky either.

Re: 1st time applying for draw hunts [Re: SapperTitan] #6388832 07/31/16 02:44 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I's all a scam, they just take your money and no one ever really gets drawn for a hunt.
At least that is what happens with $100 of mine every year.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: 1st time applying for draw hunts [Re: Simple Searcher] #6389991 08/01/16 04:25 AM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
I's all a scam, they just take your money and no one ever really gets drawn for a hunt.
roflmao

I fell in love with Palo Duro Canyon. Aoudad only for adults, but when your youngster gets a little bigger, that's a worthwhile and relatively easy mule doe hunt!!!!

Re: 1st time applying for draw hunts [Re: SapperTitan] #6466728 09/25/16 12:54 AM
D
DHS274 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I drew for Lake Mineral Wells and Lake Whitney. I can no longer make the Lake Whitney dates, have a work commitment. Was not that thrilled hunting with the muzzleloader again anyway, been a while since I have done that, but would have liked to see the area.
I purchased the LMW permit and looking forward to it.

Re: 1st time applying for draw hunts [Re: Simple Searcher] #6468244 09/26/16 03:02 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher

I've spent $100.00 each of the last two years and so far no luck.

Re: 1st time applying for draw hunts [Re: SapperTitan] #6468443 09/26/16 12:52 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
TPW has several problems with Servicing a rapidly growing State Population, and the continuing cuts in their Budgets by the Legislature that they have addressed by offering Non Resident Hunters the same access & Prices for Services as a Texas Resident as a Revenue Stream source that is not controlled by the Legislature.

If you want to help yourself get better Services from TPW, than hammer your State Senators & Congressmen to respond accordingly, ans stop raiding the TPW revenure stream for the General Fund shortfalls when they are sitting on a massive Rainy Day Fund that was built for that purpose.

Until the TPW Budget Problems are addressed with changes that are targeted to help Texas Residents - like the Rocky Mountain States, among others, have done for decades even on Federally Owned property that all of us pay for.

Not participating in TPW Programs because you spent a $100 a year on TPW's Lottery Hunt Permit App's only exacerabates the TPW Budget problem.
** note my sig lines from Robin Williams, Pogo ... and Santayana...

Otherwise go see how far a $100 a year will go to buying you access to a similar Deer Lease these days.
JMHO & YMMV
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 09/26/16 01:05 PM.

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: 1st time applying for draw hunts [Re: SapperTitan] #6469115 09/26/16 07:08 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I think that a lot of the problem of long draw odds could be eased with very little expense to TPWD. It might even increase revenue a bit.

1. Require applicants to buy a hunting licence prior to putting in for a drawing. If a person buys a hunting licence and doesn't get drawn, they can buy a private hunt. No need for refunds. (This may involve moving the date to buy licences to July though.) Out of state applicants will be putting more skin in the game because of the increased cost of the licence. Other states require this from Texans, it's only fair to do this in kind.

2. Give the option for buying a Loyalty Point only. A lot of folks, including myself, put in for the more difficult to draw hunts on years when they might not have time to go to the hunt, to get the loyalty point. This lowers the odds of getting drawn for those hunts and opens the possibility of losing all your points if your drawn for a hunt you can't go on. It's a win-win for everyone.

That said, I have had some excellent hunting experiences through the draw system. I have also been very fortunate to be drawn for some excellent hunts.

Wiley, you are absolutely right about State lawmakers raiding TPWD revenue. Gov Abbott has promised to end this, I guess time will tell. They have released some of the money though. http://kxan.com/2016/05/01/lawmakers-to-hear-plans-for-historic-levels-of-park-money/
Hopefully it will continue.

Last edited by Palehorse; 09/26/16 07:10 PM.
Re: 1st time applying for draw hunts [Re: Palehorse] #6469125 09/26/16 07:14 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: Palehorse
I think that a lot of the problem of long draw odds could be eased with very little expense to TPWD. It might even increase revenue a bit.

1. Require applicants to buy a hunting licence prior to putting in for a drawing. If a person buys a hunting licence and doesn't get drawn, they can buy a private hunt. No need for refunds. (This may involve moving the date to buy licences to July though.) Out of state applicants will be putting more skin in the game because of the increased cost of the licence. Other states require this from Texans, it's only fair to do this in kind.

2. Give the option for buying a Loyalty Point only. A lot of folks, including myself, put in for the more difficult to draw hunts on years when they might not have time to go to the hunt, to get the loyalty point. This lowers the odds of getting drawn for those hunts and opens the possibility of losing all your points if your drawn for a hunt you can't go on. It's a win-win for everyone.

That said, I have had some excellent hunting experiences through the draw system. I have also been very fortunate to be drawn for some excellent hunts.

Wiley, you are absolutely right about State lawmakers raiding TPWD revenue. Gov Abbott has promised to end this, I guess time will tell. They have released some of the money though. http://kxan.com/2016/05/01/lawmakers-to-hear-plans-for-historic-levels-of-park-money/
Hopefully it will continue.

x2

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: 1st time applying for draw hunts [Re: WileyCoyote] #6471669 09/28/16 06:27 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
TPW has several problems with Servicing a rapidly growing State Population, and the continuing cuts in their Budgets by the Legislature that they have addressed by offering Non Resident Hunters the same access & Prices for Services as a Texas Resident as a Revenue Stream source that is not controlled by the Legislature.

If you want to help yourself get better Services from TPW, than hammer your State Senators & Congressmen to respond accordingly, ans stop raiding the TPW revenure stream for the General Fund shortfalls when they are sitting on a massive Rainy Day Fund that was built for that purpose.

Until the TPW Budget Problems are addressed with changes that are targeted to help Texas Residents - like the Rocky Mountain States, among others, have done for decades even on Federally Owned property that all of us pay for.

Not participating in TPW Programs because you spent a $100 a year on TPW's Lottery Hunt Permit App's only exacerabates the TPW Budget problem.
** note my sig lines from Robin Williams, Pogo ... and Santayana...

Otherwise go see how far a $100 a year will go to buying you access to a similar Deer Lease these days.
JMHO & YMMV
Ron

Preach on brother!! flehan

Re: 1st time applying for draw hunts [Re: SapperTitan] #6471984 09/28/16 02:41 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
+10 on requiring Non Residents to purchase a License before being allowing them to be Entitled to participate in any Texas Lottery Hunt program.

Thx Palehorse for reminding me of that strategy, and GTK others are proposing TPW positive actions that target specific community's that IMO are taking advantage of Texas Residents Property Tax $$'s UNEQUALLY.

As I've said before, Texas Dept of Insurance issues Resident Insurance Licenses, and NON Resident License's in a way I'd like to see duplicated by TPW for Non Resident Hunters/Fishing Licenses....and as Palehorse reminded me, require that Non Res License be bought BEFORE participating in any TPW Hunting/Fishing programs...like some of the Rocky Mountain states have done for decades, and taking God knows how many months to refund Non Res License Fee's that don't get Drawn....and accruing yet another revenue stream by holding those Non Res App Fee's as long as possible.

I won't go deeply into the other Major Peeve I have with Out of State Hunting Access of limiting the total number of Non Resident Permit's that can be Issued or the huge Inflated Cost's on those Non Res Permits to be used on Federally Owned or Managed Land....that every US Citizen's Income Tax pays for.

As I seem to remember, my Federal Income Tax rates are the same for everyone regardless of State of Residence...and IMO my access to Federally owned property also ought to be subject to only the same restrictions and fee's as another State's Resident access & fee's in that State, regardless of the location anywhere whose Residents pay the same US Federal Income Tax's I do.
Never Gonna Happen though.

However...FYI ...Whatever a given State charges a Texas Resident for a Non Resident Insurance License, is what TDI charges any Resident of that State for a Texas Insurance License to the penny....so that precedent exists and does work. BTDT.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 09/28/16 02:58 PM. Reason: fumble fingers can't type

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide