Print Thread
How to get started on Public Land #6607420 12/30/16 12:37 AM
B
Bear13 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Looking for recommendations on getting started on Public Land Hunting.

I just went on my first hunt this week, but I know hunting public land is much different, but I would assume affordable????

Is there any place on the TPWD website to find more info?

Re: How to get started on Public Land [Re: Bear13] #6608079 12/30/16 04:00 PM
H
Harrier Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Welcome to the forum.

Check out the Public Hunting Opportunities thread at the top of this forum for locations, and the Public Hunting section at the TPWD website for more info. You'll need the $48 Annual Public Hunting permit in addition to your hunting license, but after that, walk-in hunts are free. If you're new to hunting, I'd suggest doing some dove and/or small game (squirrel, rabbit, etc) hunts to hone your skills and learn your way around before tackling big game like deer or hogs.

You can also enter drawings for state-run drawn hunts. Those applications are made in the summer and are usually $3 each. When you buy your Public Hunting permit, TPWD will send you the applications automatically.

Do-it-yourself hunts in public land are my favorite way to hunt. Because of the challenges involved, any success is a real achievement, and as we like to say around here, anything taken on a public hunt is a trophy.

Last edited by Harrier; 12/30/16 04:00 PM.
Re: How to get started on Public Land [Re: Bear13] #6608252 12/30/16 06:07 PM
T
TexOddball Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
When you buy the Public Hunting Lands license, you're mailed a big booklet full of maps of each parcel of land, along with the animals and methods of hunting allowed. With that, you can start planning trips. $48 for the license effectively opens the gate to over a million acres, scattered all across the state. I've hunted all my life, but this is only my third year doing public hunting, and I just get more and more hooked every year.

Re: How to get started on Public Land [Re: Bear13] #6608337 12/30/16 07:23 PM
B
Bear13 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Thank you for the information.

how does it work? I guess I would just be concerned that myself and 10 others would be all in close proximity. I know I would wear appropriate amount of orange but is there a limit as to how many can be on a certain location ?

Re: How to get started on Public Land [Re: Bear13] #6608436 12/30/16 08:54 PM
T
TexOddball Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
In the locations that host the drawn hunts that you have to apply for, those areas will be closed to all others while those hunts are going on, but for the regular "walk-in" hunts, it's kinda a free-for-all. If the season is open, the property is open to all. There might be any number of people out there during legal hunting hours. It's one of the challenges referred to earlier about public hunting, there absolutely is the possibility you could find a great spot that you're all excited to hunt, you get out there all set up, and right in the prime hours some other hunter comes wandering through and scares any game away. The kicker is, its public, that other guy has just as much right to be there as you do, hunting any legal methods he wants. I was in the Sam Houston Nat'l Forest last year, literally settling my crosshairs on the shoulder of a nice buck, when a shot rang out within 100 yards away, and of course the buck booked it.

Weekends will always be busy times to hunt public, I always try to plan my hunts for the middle of the week, when fewer people are likely to be out there.

Always move slowly, being as aware of your surroundings as you possibly can, not just for game but for your fellow hunters as well. Never take a step away from your vehicle without wearing the required blaze orange.

All that being said, with the exception of the buck story, I've only very rarely came across another hunter out in the fields.

Re: How to get started on Public Land [Re: TexOddball] #6608899 12/31/16 03:04 AM
H
Harrier Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted By: TexOddball
I've only very rarely came across another hunter out in the fields.

Same for me. Opening weekend of dove or deer season is when most people are there. After that, more often than not I've had the entire place to myself.

Here's a thread I started a long time ago about running into other hunters on public land:
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth...f_t#Post2801137

Re: How to get started on Public Land [Re: Bear13] #6635912 01/17/17 03:40 AM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T

here you go

Joseph Trousdale
Host Texas Game Hunters TV
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: How to get started on Public Land [Re: Harrier] #6637955 01/18/17 03:21 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Harrier
Welcome to the forum.

Check out the Public Hunting Opportunities thread at the top of this forum for locations, and the Public Hunting section at the TPWD website for more info. You'll need the $48 Annual Public Hunting permit in addition to your hunting license, but after that, walk-in hunts are free. If you're new to hunting, I'd suggest doing some dove and/or small game (squirrel, rabbit, etc) hunts to hone your skills and learn your way around before tackling big game like deer or hogs.

You can also enter drawings for state-run drawn hunts. Those applications are made in the summer and are usually $3 each. When you buy your Public Hunting permit, TPWD will send you the applications automatically.

Do-it-yourself hunts in public land are my favorite way to hunt. Because of the challenges involved, any success is a real achievement, and as we like to say around here, anything taken on a public hunt is a trophy.

cheers + 1 Some of the WMA can be pretty big areas.... i used the hog hunts for scouting & chance for grill ing & chilling... Get a GPS, i carried pen & small note pad ya write down info, scrapes, rubs, tracks, droppings, bedding areas, & such... Just ease threw woods, eyes scanning.... Best wishes.... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: How to get started on Public Land [Re: Bear13] #6638019 01/18/17 03:49 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Just be prepared to put your time in and put some miles on your boots.

I have never had a problem with other hunters but I also never go on weekends.

Buy your $48 APH from TPWD. When you do that they will send you a book with all of the rules and areas to you can hunt and for what species. memorize the rules!!!!!! Game wardens dont care if you dont know the rules. They will ticket you for not complying.

Lots of beautiful areas to explore and hunt. The deeper you get away from the cars and roads the better chance you have to get away from people and closer to animals.

Lots of info on this forum if you go back and read prior threads

GO TRUMP!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide