Print Thread
When it comes to hunting public lands #5942047 09/23/15 05:59 AM
S
Stickman11b Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
I have been scouting out LBJ Grasslands for these past couple days. I have noticed that some of the gates are now open. I was wondering when it comes to hunting public land for deer what are some do's and don'ts? I'd hate to have a few hunters out in the area and all of a sudden I come walking in or in the spot of another hunter. Should you get there really early? Is it rude to just show up a little after noon time? I also notice you can drive your car straight threw there. Now the only reason I bring this up is because I've seen someone on another post saying that people have broken into cars and have taken property. I wouldn't park my car in the middle of the public land field, but I would sure like to be in sight of it if that type of criminal activity goes on. So if someone is a veteran at hunting public lands and can give me the do's and don'ts please help me out.

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

-ERNEST HEMINGWAY
Re: When it comes to hunting public lands [Re: Stickman11b] #5942678 09/23/15 04:45 PM
T
texashelms Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Come and go at anytime its public land. My number one rule is keep your mouth shut after seeing any game. If someone ask just say I saw nothing bad year and move on. Have multiple hunting areas because it's not uncommon to find another hunter in your area. Don't leave anything over night are it will be gone. Never stop looking for new trails and signs. Enjoy your time in the woods and never give up.

I've hunted public land all across the great state of Texas. Had some very productive years and not so on others. One year I hunted over 30 days 6-10 hours a day before taking a buck three days before season ended.

Re: When it comes to hunting public lands [Re: Stickman11b] #5942687 09/23/15 04:53 PM
T
texashelms Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Oh I almost forgot you don't need to shoot a buck because someone else will kill him. I've passed on many smaller bucks just to give them one more year to grow. Only to watch them grow into really nice deer in the following years.

Re: When it comes to hunting public lands [Re: Stickman11b] #5944650 09/24/15 06:43 PM
H
Harrier Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Here's a thread I started a few years ago: http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth...f_t#Post2801137

I'm not familiar with LBJ Grasslands, but if the rules are the same as Caddo, pasture roads are closed to vehicular traffic (according to TPWD) so check before you drive in someplace. I haven't had problems with break-ins etc. so far.

Re: When it comes to hunting public lands [Re: Stickman11b] #5945300 09/25/15 01:35 AM
B
Bdontexoma Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
My first season on public land I lost 2 browning cameras and a stand that I left for about 5 hours from my morning hunt and was going back for an afternoon hunt.

Don't leave anything you don't want stolen. Was upset about the cameras. Didn't care as much for the stand. It was heavy as heck to carry in and it was only $20. If you set up cameras, take a climbing stick or 2 and mount them higher than 12' in the tree. This will greatly help you from loosing cameras to thieves. Most of the time the are out of eye sight or someone has to work really hard to get them.

There are some really good posts in the link above.

Ive now learned to go very very deep in the woods. IF another hunter finds my cameras back there, most of the time (at least I would like to think) these hunters back there are more straight laced and wont take my stuff and don't want to "leach" off the time ive spent scouting an area. I do know that they can if they want, but I haven't run into this like I have as if I were to set up somewhere within a mile of the parking area.

As to answer your questions:

1) You should not drive into any areas if they are not marked as a "designated hunting road". You could get a ticket or get locked in if someone closes the gate and locks it.

2) It is first come first serve, but if you find an area that you really like, scout out 100 yards around you and look for any signs of other hunters (cameras, stands, trail markers, etc.) I for one don't want to hunt by someone else, however there is nothing that I can do if someone walks in on me. That being said it is smart to have a few places in mind that you could hunt. I ALWAYS have at least 3 places that I could hunt if someone is hunting an area that I like.

3) Get there as early as you want or as late as you want. I'm usually in a tree 45 mins - 60 mins BEFORE sunrise. There is nothing wrong with coming in for an afternoon hunt. Again, its public land, come or leave as you please. I always try to be as quite as possible when entering or exiting.

4) Again, stay on designated roads and only park in designated parking areas. If you notice sketchy ppl in the area that don't appear to be hunting, call the GW. Most of the time they will gladly come out the public lands and visit with people.

5) I always pick up any trash that I find. Sometimes its A LOT because there is river that runs through the WMA that I hunt. Its not required at all, just the right thing to do.

6) Lastly, have fun! Say hi and visit with people and offer a helping hand if you see someone that might need it.

Re: When it comes to hunting public lands [Re: Stickman11b] #5966635 10/08/15 12:41 AM
K
Kawabuggy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
There most definitely is a lot of theft on public land. I will say though, that I knew about a ladder stand that someone put up on public land. I could tell that no one had been using it for at least a year or more. the lock they used to secure it to the tree was rusted. The plastic slats for the seat had dry rotted/sun damaged so they would not support any weight. No seat to sit on so I took some old pieces of fencing planks with me in my back pack for a make shift seat. I used it for several hunts and there was never any sign that anyone had been back to the stand. This stand is WAAAAAYYYYY off the beaten path, and no trail at all to it. You had to have GPS to find it. Anyway, it was piss poor placement. Wind was from behind you blowing out in front of you. It faced east so the rising sun made it impossible to see anything on morning hunts, and most of the game trails were BEHIND it! I finally figured out that it was most likely a decoy stand to keep people from finding their real hunting spot (which I eventually did). Their real spot was being used so I left it alone and never went back. I checked on that ladder stand last year and a tree had actually fallen on it and crushed it all the way to the ground. The ladder was mangled, and the frame was completely crushed under the tree. What a waste. It is still cable locked to the tree though.

That is the only stand I've ever known to remain that long on public land and not get stolen. I've had game cameras stolen on public land and I actually have a pic of the dirt bag that did it. He walked past one camera, and stole the 2nd one. I got a perfectly clear profile shot of his face. Not wearing hunters orange, but carrying a rifle, during season. The pic of him shows he stole it 2 days after I had checked it and cleared the card. I used a soldering iron to scribe my name & D/L # into the face of it. It can't be removed as the heated point actually melts the plastic. Did not stop him from stealing it, but maybe it will make it harder for him to sell.

A hog is nothing more than a bullet receptacle.
Re: When it comes to hunting public lands [Re: Stickman11b] #5967481 10/08/15 04:03 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
If they still giving out booklets, the rules are in their ta answer all your questions... Pretty easy ta read... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: When it comes to hunting public lands [Re: 1860.colt] #5971198 10/11/15 01:59 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: colt.45
If they still giving out booklets, the rules are in their ta answer all your questions... Pretty easy ta read... flag

X2

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: When it comes to hunting public lands [Re: Stickman11b] #5981442 10/17/15 01:09 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
confused2 Any reports.

Edit: clicked on OSBWMA & it took me ta this thread.... flag

Last edited by colt.45; 10/17/15 01:12 PM.

i'm postaddic
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide