Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics538,050
Posts9,732,357
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Ask for help with small game / rabbit hunting in Austin area #5830524 07/13/15 10:01 PM
O
Obrien Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
O
Hello everyone,

I'm totally new in hunting as I recently moved to Texas and I would like to ask for the advice.

As someone who is about to start hunting I figured that the best would be start with small game (probably rabbits) to get the feeling for the country and learn.

Can you recommend me some areas where to go within reasonable distance from Austin? My goal is to get ready for the main season and learn as much as I can.

I'd prefer to start in public land but if you know about good private range where I can start for reasonable price I'd be thankful for any advice.

Thanks a lot!

Jan

Re: Ask for help with small game / rabbit hunting in Austin area [Re: Obrien] #5831321 07/14/15 02:03 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
WMAs Granger and Somerville have rabbits. The population is probably on an up cycle with all the vegetation growth from the rains providing lots of food and predator protection. That may also make it difficult to hunt them.

Re: Ask for help with small game / rabbit hunting in Austin area [Re: Obrien] #5831365 07/14/15 02:34 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
welcome ta THF & texas was passing threw in 80's got hired at foundry, making over double the money, & benifets, 401 k, insurance & such got married, twas tough getting used ta the heat... Walmart ask for the $48.00 they used ta send a booklet with all the places, rules & regulations... Think ya can find info on internet, Sniper John & few other mod's that put up this part of form can help better than me... The WMA that i hunt is archery deer only, they have draw hunts, mostly go their for hog hunts... Usedta get tagetter with some guys from DFW, some good times.. Hogs been thinned out though... Best wishes... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Ask for help with small game / rabbit hunting in Austin area [Re: Obrien] #5831734 07/14/15 06:57 PM
H
Harrier Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Welcome to THF.

I second what Sniper John said about Granger and Somerville (although I have only been to Granger). Should be plenty of rabbits. Your best bet will be morning or evening, although I've shot rabbits all day long too. Granger is restricted to shotguns with no larger than no. 4 shot, and you'll need a Texas hunting license as well as the annual public hunting permit. Also, if you're born after 1971 (I think) you need to take the hunter education course -- better double check on that.

I agree that rabbits are a good place to start, and public hunting is a great way to break into the sport. Poke around the THF. You'll be able to pick up some good info.

Re: Ask for help with small game / rabbit hunting in Austin area [Re: Obrien] #5832010 07/14/15 09:29 PM
O
Obrien Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
O
Sniper John, colt .45, Harrier : Thanks a lot guys for the answers. I really appreciate it. If you have any tips for total green horn I'll be happy to learn. Of course I'm reading the old topics.

My first plan is to just get binocular, go there at very early morning and see if I can even spot anything alive :-) Then next time to bring a rifle.

Thanks for the tip to Granger - what I have found is https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/lands/table_contents/media/709.pdf where is written

* Squirrel: Archery and shotgun only
* Rabbits & Hares: no limit

Do I read it properly that Rabbits are ok with .22 rifle? Would it be better to call there and check?

Also another question: are rabbits in Texas eatable? In my country we eat them regularly but I'm new here I better ask smile

Thanks!

Re: Ask for help with small game / rabbit hunting in Austin area [Re: Obrien] #5832232 07/15/15 12:06 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Several years back BIL & i were in Robertson county camping out at WMA sleeping under the stars in old army cots with screen mesh ta keep bugs out.. Twas in Sept. we got us couple squirrels & couple rabbits, done em in Dutch Oven & wrapped potatoes in foil, stuck under fire... cheers grillen & chillen... Others can tell ya more bout the rules, was last couple weeks of the hog hunts, that scraped up the $48.00 for permit... Didn't get this years booklet... Every thing going high-tech... rofl i'm still worken on me grammer... Best wishes... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Ask for help with small game / rabbit hunting in Austin area [Re: Obrien] #5833157 07/15/15 07:26 PM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Obrien

Also another question: are rabbits in Texas eatable? In my country we eat them regularly but I'm new here I better ask smile

Thanks!

Surely you've heard the old saw about only eating rabbits during months that have an "R" in them? In other words dont eat them during the warm months. I know squirrels get worms during the warm months so I assume it's the same with rabbits.

Re: Ask for help with small game / rabbit hunting in Austin area [Re: Obrien] #5833185 07/15/15 07:53 PM
H
Harrier Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted By: Obrien
Do I read it properly that Rabbits are ok with .22 rifle? Would it be better to call there and check?

Thanks!

Here's the part that addresses rifle vs. shotgun:
Means restriction: Firearms restricted to shotguns with non-toxic shot or no larger than #4 lead shot.

In other words, in the Granger hunts where firearms are OK, you are restricted to shotguns -- no rifles. If you're determined to use a .22, you can travel a couple more hours east to the Luminant 607 area in Robertson County. Rifles are allowed there.

I've eaten every cottontail rabbit I've shot, regardless of the month. That old saw about the R months was debunked a while back. There was even a thread about it in the Hogs & Small Game section of THF. Jackrabbits are another story ...

Re: Ask for help with small game / rabbit hunting in Austin area [Re: Harrier] #5833233 07/15/15 08:36 PM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
[quote=Harrie

I've eaten every cottontail rabbit I've shot, regardless of the month. That old saw about the R months was debunked a while back. There was even a thread about it in the Hogs & Small Game section of THF. Jackrabbits are another story ... [/quote]

Debunked by who? I cant find that thread. You're telling me rabbits and squirrels aren't more likely to be plagued by worms and parasites during the warm months versus the cold months?

Re: Ask for help with small game / rabbit hunting in Austin area [Re: Harrier] #5833308 07/15/15 09:48 PM
O
Obrien Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
O
Originally Posted By: Harrier

Here's the part that addresses rifle vs. shotgun:
Means restriction: Firearms restricted to shotguns with non-toxic shot or no larger than #4 lead shot.
Thanks, I overlooked it totally!

Re: Ask for help with small game / rabbit hunting in Austin area [Re: swampthang] #5833395 07/15/15 10:44 PM
H
Harrier Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted By: swampthang
Debunked by who? I cant find that thread. You're telling me rabbits and squirrels aren't more likely to be plagued by worms and parasites during the warm months versus the cold months?

Here's a thread from way back in 2010: http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1537301/Re_eating_rabbits_right_now
And here's more info:
http://www.unluckyhunter.com/2011/07/myth-or-fact-are-summer-rabbits-safe-to.html
If you find worms or parasites, definitely don't eat it, but rabbits and squirrels are warm-blooded. Parasites can live on them all year round. And if you thoroughly cook the meat, it shouldn't be a problem anyway.

Re: Ask for help with small game / rabbit hunting in Austin area [Re: Harrier] #5833586 07/16/15 01:38 AM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Harrier
Originally Posted By: swampthang

Here's a thread from way back in 2010: http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1537301/Re_eating_rabbits_right_now
And here's more info:
http://www.unluckyhunter.com/2011/07/myth-or-fact-are-summer-rabbits-safe-to.html
If you find worms or parasites, definitely don't eat it, but rabbits and squirrels are warm-blooded. Parasites can live on them all year round. And if you thoroughly cook the meat, it shouldn't be a problem anyway.

I suppose it's like anything else in life,proceed at your own risk.

Re: Ask for help with small game / rabbit hunting in Austin area [Re: Sniper John] #5901226 08/28/15 08:36 PM
A
ALM TXhunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Speaking of Granger WMA, which area(s) have the best upland habitat?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide