Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tree stand etiquette yes or no #5569554 01/28/15 08:48 PM
F
fishingoncredit Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
F
So I've noticed a lot of people leave there tree stands up in the tree on public land. Is it ok to climb up and use someone's stand or is that considered a no no?

Re: Tree stand etiquette yes or no [Re: fishingoncredit] #5569820 01/28/15 11:19 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: fishingoncredit
So I've noticed a lot of people leave there tree stands up in the tree on public land. Is it ok to climb up and use someone's stand or is that considered a no no?

Are you serious? If you are, just think how you might feel if you went to your stand one morning and someone else was in it.

Re: Tree stand etiquette yes or no [Re: Palehorse] #5569849 01/28/15 11:39 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Palehorse

Are you serious? If you are, just think how you might feel if you went to your stand one morning and someone else was in it.

Going to have to agree with this...

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Tree stand etiquette yes or no [Re: fishingoncredit] #5569913 01/29/15 12:10 AM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
As Jack Nicholson said in Batman..."never rub another man's rhubarb".

Re: Tree stand etiquette yes or no [Re: fishingoncredit] #5570040 01/29/15 01:34 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
On leases werr every one knows every one its a little different. Opening week ends every one hunted their own stand. We had board & sign in so person would now were every one ones hunting. Public land is tougher hunt. their might be 8-10 or more vechicals at one parking area. Rules say have to be so far from parking. if ya hunt close ya may get bumped into by other hunters, just trying ta set up. your allowed ta leave stand for so many days. it is Open ta Public i've had people walk an sit 40 yrds away. dont think thry knew i was their. Have also acidently walked inta persons area, in thick switch cain. if ya dont havr a stand, i know people who take 5 bucket an sit an take deer. i have couple self climbing & chain on stands so can see movement & try get a pattern. An have the 3 peace lader steps. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Tree stand etiquette yes or no [Re: fishingoncredit] #5570054 01/29/15 01:44 AM
E
esnow74 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
I would not sit in someone else's stand on public land. If I even find a persons set up then I just look elsewhere. When I have a stand out, I don't want to find somebody in it and reall don't like it when they knowingly set up on top of me but it is public land, first come first serve every sit. It's the biggest reason I don't enjoy hunting it but with no lease, that's all I have to hunt but only hunt archery areas.

Re: Tree stand etiquette yes or no [Re: fishingoncredit] #5570288 01/29/15 03:58 AM
F
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
F
Heck yeah it's a serious question bc first off the law on public land is you can have non perminant stand set up for up to 72 hours or uses metal nails, spikes, screws, or bolts to attach such structures to the timber; and after that the stand owner is technically breaking the law.
So I normally hunt on the same peice of public land and I know it very well and there are about 10 stands and roughly half of them have been there for over 6 months that I know of and I Know I'll find more. But yeah I've never seen anyone in them so I figured I'd see what other people thought. oo and I wouldnt dream of during deer season but its hog time so why not if its vacant!

Re: Tree stand etiquette yes or no [Re: Palehorse] #5570297 01/29/15 04:04 AM
F
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
F
Originally Posted By: Palehorse

Well if I had put it up the day before then heck yeah I'd be pissed. Now if I hung it last year and said I'll see ya next season and someone found it and was using it before me then i wouldnt be able to say crap bc first off how do you prove you own it and second off if it is yours and its been up for over 72 hours then your breaking the law

Re: Tree stand etiquette yes or no [Re: fishingoncredit] #5570605 01/29/15 01:57 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
scratch so u can use metal nail, spikes, screws or bolts ? was told that was a No No i went an sent money on them ladder sticks. they do work great for dragging out a deer like the Indians dragged their teepees. can use your safty harness with it. think your right about the stand for 72 hours then have ta move it. archery hunts i use climbing & chain on. if come across some one elses stand, i try find different area ta put up mine. good thread, have seen many people complain about the fence hunters. the diffetence is thats privet land & person has a rite. Public Land is a tougher hunt. drag a hog or deer for a mile. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Tree stand etiquette yes or no [Re: fishingoncredit] #5570801 01/29/15 03:41 PM
F
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
F
Ooo crap I meant to say can't use metal nail screws spikes etc.. I guess that what beer and typing gets ya

Re: Tree stand etiquette yes or no [Re: fishingoncredit] #5570858 01/29/15 04:19 PM
B
Big Daddy K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
No I wouldn't use a tree stand or a ground blind I happen upon.

I do plan on having a lock on and stick ladder on public next season. I may not leave it set up but will hide it well so I don't have to keep humping one in. If its stolen well that's the chance I take.

It ain't easy being me.

Re: Tree stand etiquette yes or no [Re: fishingoncredit] #5570886 01/29/15 04:36 PM
F
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
F
Yeah I wont even approach a ground blind I'll turn around if I see them. Now since its pig season and I've noticed stands since deer season with no one in them I now will approach the tree and look around at the surrounding area to see what makes it special and take notes so this next season maybe I'll find my special tree for my stand! But right now I'd rather beat the brush to find a pig then sit and wait for them to wake up and come find me

Last edited by fishingoncredit; 01/29/15 04:40 PM.
Re: Tree stand etiquette yes or no [Re: fishingoncredit] #5571136 01/29/15 06:25 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
yingyang agh, grass hopper, my bad english & dry scents of humor, i too been acused of drinking or smoking while posting. during hog hunts, i be pudding one foot in front of the other, looking for fresh hog sign, & eyes watching for movement. as far as finding stands. Deer hunters have usualy pulled em. have pocket note book full of rubs scrapes & travel trails with deer tracks. 98% of archery deer hog hunts i do on WMA are basicly set up for hogs. U may have stumbled on some ones hog stand, that went back ta camp. An by next years deer season the pattern of the rubs scraps ya may have found by the stand, might change due ta hunting presure. Thanks for clearing up bout the screw in steps, metal nails & such. Each WMA has its own rules. Some allow hog hunts with dogs, some baiting for hogs. i learned a few are HF Edit: not sure if Topic still on here. It was about hunting with dogs for hogs on WMA flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Tree stand etiquette yes or no [Re: fishingoncredit] #5572980 01/30/15 03:33 PM
J
jdk1985 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Go over to the migratory section and ask the same question. They would say, "public is public" when it comes to blinds and what not.

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: Tree stand etiquette yes or no [Re: fishingoncredit] #5573147 01/30/15 04:56 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
The COE Rangers up here at Texoma have told me for years that any privately placed equipment - tent, camping stuff, blinds & vehicles ( or mebbe not & I would not want to test that in court somewhere ) left over 24 hours on COE Property is verbooten/fobidden& against COE Regs period paragraph page and subject to being treated as abandoned, and was available to anyone who wanted to remove it.

Last time I called them to come get some camping stuff & a tent, sleeping bags & coolers that had been left for close to a week down on the beach in front of my house they got really PO'd that I'd called & wanted to know why I hadn't just put the stuff in the trash like I do all the beverage cans and bottles instead of calling them...Just Sayin'

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Tree stand etiquette yes or no [Re: WileyCoyote] #5573387 01/30/15 06:42 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
The COE Rangers up here at Texoma have told me for years that any privately placed equipment - tent, camping stuff, blinds & vehicles ( or mebbe not & I would not want to test that in court somewhere ) left over 24 hours on COE Property is verbooten/fobidden& against COE Regs period paragraph page and subject to being treated as abandoned, and was available to anyone who wanted to remove it.

Last time I called them to come get some camping stuff & a tent, sleeping bags & coolers that had been left for close to a week down on the beach in front of my house they got really PO'd that I'd called & wanted to know why I hadn't just put the stuff in the trash like I do all the beverage cans and bottles instead of calling them...Just Sayin'

confused2 back Tree stand Etiquette icary my own stands in & out flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Tree stand etiquette yes or no [Re: fishingoncredit] #5573523 01/30/15 08:12 PM
T
texasbowhunter321 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
It's not worth the headache....If I see another stand, I would keep walking..

Re: Tree stand etiquette yes or no [Re: fishingoncredit] #5573672 01/30/15 09:44 PM
T
trash2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I take them down and lay them by the tree, if they are put back up I call the gw to have them removed. There is nothing worse than a sob that treats public property like they own it, and I happens waayyy too much

Re: Tree stand etiquette yes or no [Re: fishingoncredit] #5574140 01/31/15 02:27 AM
F
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
F
Hmm trash2 I kinda like that approach! Except most the one's I see have some sort of cable and lock on them And I agree I hate some SOB's that treat the public lands like they own it and litter and do all all the crap you're not supposed to do. Guess I need to figure out who the game wardens around the areas I hunt and fish are.

Re: Tree stand etiquette yes or no [Re: fishingoncredit] #5574143 01/31/15 02:31 AM
F
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
F
The worst thing I've seen on public land is someone shot 3 about 6 month old pitbull puppies and all 3 shot in the face dead...

Re: Tree stand etiquette yes or no [Re: fishingoncredit] #5575119 01/31/15 08:34 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
You had chance ta get back ta Duck Cove? Sounds like ya found a good spot. Still havent seen hogs at tree stand by house. Cool video of bobcat. Theirs some good hog hunten on WMA. Its tough though. best wishes. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Tree stand etiquette yes or no [Re: fishingoncredit] #5580166 02/03/15 05:32 PM
D
duckslayer1206 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Some of us can't afford a lease so yes public is our hunting lease, I'll admit I have broken the law left a tree stand up longer than time allowed. But if I walked in and found you in my stand even though my lock, my cable, my straps and my time I've spent scouting a area, I would go to my second spot. Just do your own homework yes I just made it easier on you cause why would I go to that much trouble if it's not a good spot. Just my thought on the whole situation, yes I need to go get mine, if it makes you so angry climb up and cut the lock and take it, I'll just replace it with another next season. But to answer your question I wouldn't hunt another persons stand, but if you want to then hunt it but don't steal it, it's not yours and at least they were nice enough to give a spot to hunt for the day... The public area I hunt is the same people every year give or take one or two new guys. I could go right now and take down over a dozen stands that I know of. I could take a dozen cameras also but I won't. I know the rules, I know I broke them. If I was you why not become friends with the people in the area when you see them out most will share knowledge, pictures and tell you when they hunt and not hunt. That is what I did and I know 6 guys, where their stands are, cameras and ect. I know what days they hunt and all have invited me to sit in their spot if they are not hunting. But still I wont and I won't take their stuff cause well that's just not me.... Take public how you want but most that hunt the areas are good people not sob's.

Re: Tree stand etiquette yes or no [Re: fishingoncredit] #5581064 02/04/15 03:11 AM
T
trash2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I carry my stand in and out, often times long distances. There is nothing more frustrating than spending all day scouting an area and then notice a stand that's been there for some time. I won't hunt within eyesight and typically leave the area so yeah that sob just took claim to public property. Sorry but it's not fair to all that abide by the rules to be forced out of hunting by someone who can't follow them. Go to the sabine around 6 mile and you'll be hard pressed to find an area without a stand nearby.

Re: Tree stand etiquette yes or no [Re: fishingoncredit] #5581210 02/04/15 04:17 AM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Yes, I would, and before I got my climber, I did once or twice. The odds of anybody coming to use it after the first week of the season is very small, but if someone did come show up, I'd surrender it and move on.

Re: Tree stand etiquette yes or no [Re: fishingoncredit] #5581764 02/04/15 03:55 PM
D
duckslayer1206 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
ok I understand where yall are coming from... But let me know yalls input on this the public land I hunt is 20 min from my house I hunt 5-6 days out of the week since I get off work by 2 everyday I don't use a climber cause the size of trees in the area are too small. I use a ladder stand so if I hunt 5-6 days a week from opening of bow season till the end of deer season why would I take it down after 72 hours just to put it back up the next day...

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide