Print Thread
Sig thermal #7028959 01/08/18 02:47 AM
C
Cleric Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
C
Saw one in person at dsc. must say I was impressed given the circumstances (indoors and full of people)

Anyone using one?

Re: Sig thermal [Re: Cleric] #7029019 01/08/18 03:21 AM
M
Midwaytmm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I’ve got one for my boys to use. They were 11 and 15 when I got it. Works fine unless you compare it to a 6k priced model . If pick it over some of the other “entry” models Refresh rate is slower. That bothers some people

Re: Sig thermal [Re: Cleric] #7029080 01/08/18 04:16 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I used one for a while.

While technically the resolution is less than a 320 scope, the image was better than on my FLIR PS32 handheld spotter. The scope will hunt.

The downside are many, however.
Contrast control was not great.
Despite being a 1x scope, the FOV was fairly narrow. As a buddy of mine who hunted with it for a while said, "It would work well for folks who hunt from an elevated blind over a feeder, but the backlighting on your face really lights you up and so for stalking it is tough to use and the narrow FOV makes running shots difficult."
It has an automatic NUC function that runs on a 30 second cycle once it is warmed up. It has a little countdown time that is in the corner of the display to let you know when the next NUC is about to occur. As with other scopes, the screen freezes for a second or two during NUCing. You don't want to be firing when it is NUCing or about to NUC.

I had mine mounted on a Beowulf .50. It handled the recoil nicely. I had to extend my stock fully and mount the sight forward in order to be far enough back to see the image clearly without my reading glasses.

I found the red screen to be the one that backlit me the least...

Here is a hog I shot at 85 yards and another at 70 yards...

Cleric, most or all thermal scopes will tend to look pretty darned good, at fairly short distances, such as with many indoor venues. I have suggest a couple of my vids above. You might also check out some of the others on Youtube. For the money, I think I would go with an actual scope thermal over the Echo 1 unless you are thinking of putting the scope on something like a .458 Socom or .50 Beowulf.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Sig thermal [Re: Midwaytmm] #7029087 01/08/18 04:20 AM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: Midwaytmm
I’ve got one for my boys to use. They were 11 and 15 when I got it. Works fine unless you compare it to a 6k priced model . If pick it over some of the other “entry” models Refresh rate is slower. That bothers some people

Midway, serious question on your opinion, you've used a lot of thermal so I'm curious about this. I admittedly haven't used the Sig in the field but from what I've seen of it at SHOT and from what I've seen online, I wasn't a fan, especially after the Pulsar Core RXQ30V came out. My question is, you said said it works fine unless you compare it to a $6k model and I know you were just making a generalized statement but are you saying you think it's as good as something like the RXQ30V or the PTS233? What about the Apexes and Trails? They are $2,500-$5,000 and pretty darn amazing. Surely you aren't saying the image quality and usage is anywhere near those units?

I'm not being smart, I'm asking because you've used a lot of thermal and I haven't used the Sig in the field but it felt like a slightly better weapons mountable LTO Tracker. My point is not to say it is junk but I've alwyas felt people would be much wiser sticking with a good (less expensive) digital scope or spending a little more and getting the "real" deal like a RXQ or PTS233. Thoughts?

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
The Late Night Vision Show - Co-Host
[Linked Image]
Night Vision, Thermal & Accessories
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Sig thermal [Re: Cleric] #7029302 01/08/18 01:55 PM
M
Midwaytmm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I’ve used the pulsar /flir in field very little comparatively speaking . Hard to look through that all night when you’re used to way better image/function. I think all three were built with “budget in mind” . The new flir has a lot more features. I think the FOV is better . I think the realistic function is about the same in the field . Same true for pulsar . I’ve never have one of my boys drop flir/or pulsar out of a box blind and watch it tumble down side of a rocky west Texas hillside. Seen it with a sig though. Also seen a sig get run over on a hard pack rock road. Held up fine no problem. The sig feels like much higher quality build to me . Also has front focus, which to me, trumps recording, or “insta alert”. In my opinion, which is worth what you paid for it , I would buy in this order. 1sig 2. Pulsar. 3 flir. Obviously I’m talking only of entry level. If you start asking what about the apex/trail, your comparing something that cost 1k more . And you could continue the for only another 1k, until you get to 15k ......I think sig would sell a lot more of them if they would do like everybody else and make some edited video, under perfect conditions, and try to convince people they’ll kill 40pigs a night with it ....... I’m willing to bet my two teenagers have killed more pigs with echo1 than most people that have bought thermal in last year. But it’s because I work hard at it, not because we own magic thermal equipment.Is it perfect, no . Is there disadvantages to it, yes. But in my opinion, image quality, functionality, and actual usefulness is absolutely in line with other “entry” level stuff. I’m not sure if exact prices, but had a friend pick up a sig the other day for 1300ish. He was looking at the same couple we just talked about , and after using 2 of the three for a night, he picked the sig . Hope this answered your question . If need more specific answers, be glad to answer to best of my ability , based on my use in field

Re: Sig thermal [Re: Cleric] #7029308 01/08/18 02:00 PM
M
Midwaytmm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
To the original guy asking questions. Your free to drive up here and look at one for yourself. If we’re hunting that night you can come out with us and use it. Make up your mind for yourself

Re: Sig thermal [Re: Cleric] #7029369 01/08/18 02:38 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
That is a good offer and a good way to be sure you are getting what you want and that it will work for your needs.

Re: Sig thermal [Re: Cleric] #7029396 01/08/18 02:54 PM
M
Midwaytmm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Should add that I liked the sig enough , that I bought a second one . Only sold one because my oldest has a girlfriend, a pickup, and the nerve to think he needs sleep. So his time anymore with me is limited

Last edited by Midwaytmm; 01/08/18 02:56 PM.
Re: Sig thermal [Re: Cleric] #7029812 01/08/18 07:04 PM
V
VAFish Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
V
My son picked one up for our hunting trip back in October. I was pretty impressed with it for the price.

I'll be back down in the Mineral Wells area first week in March if someone wants to see it in use.

"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."
-- Confucius
Re: Sig thermal [Re: Cleric] #7030117 01/08/18 10:21 PM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Thanks for the answers Midway, I appreciate it. I'm willing to take a second look, I just haven't been able to convince myself it was near as good as the RXQ30V considering the price. From what I've been previously told, if they'd made it a real rifle scope with normal thermal scope eye relief it might have been different. I'll take another look at it though.

I understand that not everyone can afford thermal and that's why I sell a ton of digital scopes. I just like to make sure when I recommend someone buy a scope that it is the 100% best bang for their buck. I know that $400-$600 extra can be a whole lot of money, more than some people can fit in their budget but I just know that when I recommend something like the RXQ30V, the Apex XQ38 or a FLIR unit, they are getting a genuine quality product that will do what it claims, it's got a company behind the product that does nothing but make NV optics and it's a good value. I guess I just wasn't convinced of that with the Sig, but I'll look again, I've been wrong once before.lol

Thanks

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
[Linked Image]
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Sig thermal [Re: Cleric] #7030157 01/08/18 10:59 PM
M
Midwaytmm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
It’s not on par with xq38. But unless I’m wrong, it cost a whole lot less too. I’d say image is close to rxq with slight edge to pulsar, but front focus, makes up some ground once you get past the set distance focus on pulsar . Agree they would have sold more if made a “scope” instead of reflex . The backsplash of the reflex is there, but once it’s close enough to bother them, it’s too late. Similar to the jackazz that leaves his 14 on when flipped up on final approaches....... it’s minimal, but does make a difference occasionally. Offers open to you to. Come hunt with me. See for yourself

Re: Sig thermal [Re: Cleric] #7030778 01/09/18 04:32 AM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
All very reasonable answers Midway, thanks for the offer and the insight. That's why I was asking because I knew you'd had experience with it. Thanks again!

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
[Linked Image]
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Sig thermal [Re: Midwaytmm] #7030877 01/09/18 05:25 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Midwaytmm
It’s not on par with xq38. But unless I’m wrong, it cost a whole lot less too. I’d say image is close to rxq with slight edge to pulsar, but front focus, makes up some ground once you get past the set distance focus on pulsar . Agree they would have sold more if made a “scope” instead of reflex . The backsplash of the reflex is there, but once it’s close enough to bother them, it’s too late. Similar to the jackazz that leaves his 14 on when flipped up on final approaches....... it’s minimal, but does make a difference occasionally. Offers open to you to. Come hunt with me. See for yourself

On dark nights, the light from the Echo can be substantial and depending on how you carry your gun, illuminate you or your buddies. We would end up covering the sight with a cap or other wrap to reduce the light signature. On brighter nights, I would agree it isn't as much as an issue. If they had made a cover for it or had a reasonable sleep mode to turn of the display without having to go through a menu system each way, I would not see the backsplash as so much of an issue.

The image may be on par with the RXQ30 (I actually thought the Echo was a bit better), but the FOV on the RXQ30 is so much better. The RXQ30 does cost more, but I think it is functionally worth the difference. Of course, it is a lot less than the XQ38, but again, I think the difference is worth it if you can afford it.

The Echo is not very daylight friendly to use. Other scopes are much more so. This is because the display is so hard to see in daylight.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide