Print Thread
Swapping Optics #7004459 12/20/17 07:27 PM
E
Eastxhuntr Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
E
Do any of y’all swap back and forth optics on a single particular firearm depending on the application ? Or do you tend to shoot with one single optic and try to cover all spreads ?

If so discuss your setup !

Re: Swapping Optics [Re: Eastxhuntr] #7004472 12/20/17 07:35 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I move one scope per two rifles. So lets say scope A gets mounted to 6.5 Creedmoor and 7 Rem Mag.

Scope B gets mounted to light weight 7mm-08 A.I. and 7mm-08 rental rifle.

Scope C gets mounted on LR-308 and .22-250 prairie dog rifle.

All scopes are Mil/Mil, first focal plane. In the event of a scope going on a rifle it has never been on before, it doesn't matter, I can still make proper corrections. When a scope is zeroed on a rifle, lets say the 6.5 Creedmoor, and it is moved to another rifle, I write down notes as to what elevation, and windage corrections needed to be made to get it zeroed on the second rifle. From then on, I can mount a scope, check notes, make corrections, and the zero will be near perfect, or perfect.

Once I get out of one scope per two rifles ratio, I buy another scope. Every rifle wears a 20 MOA picatinny rail. When a scope goes into a set of Badger Ordnance rings, it never leaves those rings, they move as one unit.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Swapping Optics [Re: Eastxhuntr] #7005619 12/21/17 05:35 PM
V
VAFish Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
V
I have one scope on each rifle and they are set up for a purpose, such as deer hunting, long range target shooting, plinking, or varmint hunting.

Now that doesn't mean they haven't been moved around a bit as rifles and scopes come and go. I have an old 1-4x Redfield that has been on at least 5 rifles since I have owned it.

"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."
-- Confucius
Re: Swapping Optics [Re: Eastxhuntr] #7006353 12/22/17 02:47 AM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Yes all the time. I have a Pulsar Thermal that I move between a couple rifles. I bought a Pulsar QD mount from Europe when they first appeared. Works as advertised!

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Swapping Optics [Re: Eastxhuntr] #7006381 12/22/17 03:04 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
All the time. I have several Nightforce scopes that I will move around, depending on what I want to do. I have one main "shop" scope (Nightforce NXS 5.5-22) that I use for customer rifles for load work if they do not have a scope. I'll pull it of my Rem 700 308 Win and move it to their rifle. I'll bore sight and can zero it in about 2 shots. But my main 2-3 rifles all wear a constant NF scope, and I don't like changing them out once I have the rifle dialed in perfect. My 6.5x47L is freakin' ON right now, so she's staying put! Once you have a picatiny rail (all are 20 MOA, except my TRG 42, which is 30 moa), the scopes move effortlessly between rifles and your zero is very close to other rifles. When zeroing, I use the reticle to measure where my first round went, dial in the correction, make one more shot, and fine tune it from there. On in 2 shots, sometimes one.

When night hunting, I'll pull my thermal off and on all the time. Sometimes we'll have plenty of rifles with thermal scopes, so I'll use my thermal scope as a monocular to scan with at night.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Swapping Optics [Re: Eastxhuntr] #7008925 12/23/17 07:29 PM
F
fr3db3ar Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
I habe a pulsar trail that I swap between centerfire and rimfire her as required. I also have nikons in Warne qd mounts for day scopes on the same rifles.

Re: Swapping Optics [Re: fr3db3ar] #7011043 12/25/17 05:08 PM
E
Eastxhuntr Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
E
Originally Posted By: fr3db3ar
I habe a pulsar trail that I swap between centerfire and rimfire her as required. I also have nikons in Warne qd mounts for day scopes on the same rifles.

Good stuff guys but this is more along the lines of what I’m askin. About switching your night stuff and a day scope off and on a single rifle .

Re: Swapping Optics [Re: Eastxhuntr] #7011107 12/25/17 05:56 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I know people do it and I know it can be done. I have also witnessed several people (who have done it many times) screw up the process and mysteriously they find that they can not hit anything they are trying to shoot and it confuses the hell out of them during the middle of the hunt. What typically goes wrong is that they did not install the scope properly when they moved it (wrong rail slot, incorrect torque, somehow not seated properly) or they forgot to change the profile to the correct profile for the current rifle they are using or changed the profile to the wrong profile for the rifle they are using (thermal scopes). When we go to diagnose the problem, what I usually here is something along the lines of, "I moved the scope to this rifle right before I came out here...but I have done that many times before" and "I moved the scope XX time ago and I meant to get to the range, but never did."

The key to the problem, that I have seen, is that they moved the scope and then failed to verify that they still had a proper zero for the rifle they were using given the settings in the scope.

When it comes to moving scopes, it is okay to trust that everything will be fine, but I strongly suggest that you verify that you have the zero that you believe you have.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Swapping Optics [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7011124 12/25/17 06:07 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
When it comes to moving scopes, it is okay to trust that everything will be fine, but I strongly suggest that you verify that you have the zero that you believe you have.

Carve this in stone.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Swapping Optics [Re: J.G.] #7011188 12/25/17 07:41 PM
E
Eastxhuntr Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
E
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Carve this in stone.

I was gunna quote that as well, absolutely regardless of the mount apparatus I would definitely double check zero after every switch especially when it comes to hunting .

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide