Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics536,997
Posts9,719,289
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
pumped! Got the new Leica Geovid HD LRF binos coming in #6494083 10/13/16 07:31 PM
C
ccoker Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
C
Been wanting to try a set of these out for a while..
The new Leica HD 2000 yard LRF binos are shipping next week.

Probably need to sell a kidney to keep them.

Re: pumped! Got the new Leica Geovid HD LRF binos coming in [Re: ccoker] #6495377 10/14/16 06:51 PM
S
Skylar Mac Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Great news, I would love to hear your thoughts on that once you receive it.

Re: pumped! Got the new Leica Geovid HD LRF binos coming in [Re: ccoker] #6498736 10/17/16 12:58 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Best hunting purchase I've ever made. I'm about to upgrade to the HD-B models.

My only complaint with my Leicas has been if you don't have a quality scope to match on your rifle you will soon be spending money to upgrade your rifle glass.

Re: pumped! Got the new Leica Geovid HD LRF binos coming in [Re: ccoker] #6498748 10/17/16 01:05 PM
C
ccoker Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
C
That's what I am getting in.. the HDs
I don't need/want the ballistic calculator in the binos, unless I could plug in my own data.

I have been happily running Meopta HD 10x42s and a Trijicon HD 8x42s with a Bushnell 1 mile LRF.

Re: pumped! Got the new Leica Geovid HD LRF binos coming in [Re: ccoker] #6498814 10/17/16 02:00 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: ccoker
That's what I am getting in.. the HDs
I don't need/want the ballistic calculator in the binos, unless I could plug in my own data.

You can plug in your own rifle data with the HD-B's.

Quote:
The Leica Ballistics programme

The Leica ballistics programme performs calculations for the Geovid HD-B (including download of data), the ballistic reticles of the Leica riflescopes as well as the rapid reticle adjustment (BDC) of the Leica riflescopes.

This allows the calculation of the target range for almost any kind of ammunition, taking into account many parameters relevant for hunting, such as sighting-in distance, the height of the sight line, temperature and height. For Leica riflescopes with ballistic reticle or rapid reticle adjustment (BDC) you can calculate and print tables for distance as well as click value. In addition, you can calculate individual ammunition loads for the programming of the Geovid HD-B and download the data on a microSD-card.

To create your own custom ballistic data set and to import it to your Geovid HD-B click here (MicroSD-Card required).

Leica HD-B

Re: pumped! Got the new Leica Geovid HD LRF binos coming in [Re: ccoker] #6498827 10/17/16 02:08 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You may find what I did when I got some Leicas. I could see the big buck through the binocs, but couldn't find him (couldn't see horns) in the scope. First time that happened, I decided to count deer. The buck was the 5th deer on the left from the big oak tree. Either they swapped places or I miscounted, but I shot a fat doe. The worst thing about it was that my brothers and cousins were in the area. Years later, whenever the whiskey comes out, they all have to have a big laugh about me shooting the horns off that big buck.

Get a real good scope.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: pumped! Got the new Leica Geovid HD LRF binos coming in [Re: ccoker] #6498834 10/17/16 02:15 PM
C
ccoker Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
C
I got the scopes covered..
I run different rifles often and I run the calcs, verify on range and then tape the numbers to the gun.

Last edited by ccoker; 10/17/16 03:09 PM.
Re: pumped! Got the new Leica Geovid HD LRF binos coming in [Re: ccoker] #6499469 10/17/16 08:48 PM
M
Mfloski Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
i just bought the Leica HD-B's.....they are freaking awesome. Ranging stuff that was insane distances away, super clear glass!!!

I have discovered a few "kinks" in the ballistics software that if you want to know about I can explain.

Free men own guns...Slaves don't!
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: pumped! Got the new Leica Geovid HD LRF binos coming in [Re: Mfloski] #6499471 10/17/16 08:50 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Mfloski
I have discovered a few "kinks" in the ballistics software that if you want to know about I can explain.

over your PM limit. I'm all ears. Mine should be in next week.

Re: pumped! Got the new Leica Geovid HD LRF binos coming in [Re: BarneyWho] #6499512 10/17/16 09:17 PM
M
Mfloski Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: BarneyWho

Thanks for alerting me, fixed that!

Couple things, if you are using the ballistics calculator, and have it spit out number of clicks (older model) / MOA adjustment (newer model), you can't also be shown the angle corrected distance, it's one or the other, which kind of sucks. You can only save one rifle per SD card, kind of sucks. You can ONLY have a sight in distance of 100yrds 200yrds or 300yrds. So if its anything other than that, your screwed. I discovered that when I built the ballistics for my .308, which shoots 0.5MOA high at 100yrds. The ballistics software is too simple and won't allow you to compensate for this. No problem, I just adjusted the sight in distance in the program to 140yrds....which made all the ballistics work out. The problem is that one of the settings in the binos is also sight in distance (only options are 1,2,300yrds), and that 100yrd setting overrides anything that you put into the ballistics software. That kind of sucks. Lastly, and I am still doing some field verifications to prove or disprove what the bino's are doing, but here it goes: because if you ask the binos to spit out click value adjustments you don't see the angle adjusted distance, I am only HOPING and PRAYING that the click value is in fact angle adjusted! I know it would seem like this would be the only thing that would make sense, the poorly written manual leaves this subject open to confusion and possibly can be interpreted that it actually doesn't do this! So again i am needing to take some field measurements and hand calculate and do some comparisons. Stay tuned.

Re: pumped! Got the new Leica Geovid HD LRF binos coming in [Re: ccoker] #6499550 10/17/16 09:37 PM
M
Mfloski Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Also, my BIL who has the SWARO EL RF binos, was getting a fairly large (IMO) on the angle adjusted distances when we sat side by side. We both got the same line of sight distance, to with a yard or two, but the adjusted for angle differed way more than I think it should. So we are doing some of our own field tests to get to the bottom of that.

Re: pumped! Got the new Leica Geovid HD LRF binos coming in [Re: Mfloski] #6499661 10/17/16 10:54 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: BarneyWho

Thanks for alerting me, fixed that!

Couple things, if you are using the ballistics calculator, and have it spit out number of clicks (older model) / MOA adjustment (newer model), you can't also be shown the angle corrected distance, it's one or the other, which kind of sucks. You can only save one rifle per SD card, kind of sucks. You can ONLY have a sight in distance of 100yrds 200yrds or 300yrds. So if its anything other than that, your screwed. I discovered that when I built the ballistics for my .308, which shoots 0.5MOA high at 100yrds. The ballistics software is too simple and won't allow you to compensate for this. No problem, I just adjusted the sight in distance in the program to 140yrds....which made all the ballistics work out. The problem is that one of the settings in the binos is also sight in distance (only options are 1,2,300yrds), and that 100yrd setting overrides anything that you put into the ballistics software. That kind of sucks. Lastly, and I am still doing some field verifications to prove or disprove what the bino's are doing, but here it goes: because if you ask the binos to spit out click value adjustments you don't see the angle adjusted distance, I am only HOPING and PRAYING that the click value is in fact angle adjusted! I know it would seem like this would be the only thing that would make sense, the poorly written manual leaves this subject open to confusion and possibly can be interpreted that it actually doesn't do this! So again i am needing to take some field measurements and hand calculate and do some comparisons. Stay tuned.

I called and asked Leica. The angle adjustment is calculated into the click values.

Re: pumped! Got the new Leica Geovid HD LRF binos coming in [Re: ccoker] #6500525 10/18/16 02:41 PM
M
Mfloski Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
That's good to hear! I'm still going to verify! Lol

And I need to figure out why my BIls Swarovski ELs were giving a different value too.

Re: pumped! Got the new Leica Geovid HD LRF binos coming in [Re: ccoker] #6500604 10/18/16 03:24 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Interesting. Appreciate the feedback.

Re: pumped! Got the new Leica Geovid HD LRF binos coming in [Re: ccoker] #6552220 11/21/16 02:34 AM
C
ccoker Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
C
spent some time with this..
outstanding glass of course

really fast ranger..
works extremely well in normal hunting conditions

ranged a calf at 1800 yards
deer out in a field at 500 yards are easy to pick up quickly

Last edited by ccoker; 11/21/16 01:12 PM.
Re: pumped! Got the new Leica Geovid HD LRF binos coming in [Re: ccoker] #6567357 12/01/16 06:32 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: ccoker
spent some time with this..
outstanding glass of course

really fast ranger..
works extremely well in normal hunting conditions

ranged a calf at 1800 yards
deer out in a field at 500 yards are easy to pick up quickly

I have to say the difference in the glass between the original model and these new HDs surprised me. I didn't expect that much difference. It's the best I've looked thru in a binocular yet.

Echo the really fast range as well. Very noticeable difference at long ranges. I was able to range 1900+ on some small mesquites and cows playing around with mine.

I've yet to mess with the ballistic aspect of the binoculars thus far, but Leica has hit it out of the park with the upgrades on these B models vs my original Geovids.

Re: pumped! Got the new Leica Geovid HD LRF binos coming in [Re: ccoker] #6567494 12/01/16 08:35 PM
C
ccoker Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
C
yes sir...
These are not going back

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide