Print Thread
5x X sight and Photon 4x XT comparison. #6091769 12/19/15 06:04 AM
S
shoots100 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Let me start out by saying that I've owned and returned both of the early 3X versions of the X sight and photon.
I still own + hunt with a 5x X sight and while it has some issues, it's still works.
I'm waiting for ATN to make it right and I'm sure it will get there, as it's only gotten better with every firmware update.
Since I've heard a lot of good things about the newer photon scopes, I talked a friend into buying a Photon 4x XT scope and we took it out coyote hunting last weekend to compare the two scopes.
While I like my X sight, at night the newer photon XT scope was just as good and better in one way.
The X sight needs to be off the ground at least 3 feet or the scope will bloom and the background fades away into blackness.
I didn't have that issue with the photon.
If you hunt from a stand or higher than three feet off the ground, the X sight won't have this issue.
In the daytime, the X sight's color view beats the photon's B&W view hands down, Even with the 22mm hole in the lens cover of the photon.
The X sight takes excellent video and still pics, no deal on the Photon without spending some more cash on a DVR.
No wire or external DVR to deal with on the X sight.
I really don't like the distraction of dealing with the DVR + wire when hunting and there's always the worry of moisture getting into the scope where the wire is connected. It happened with my pulsar N550, ain't happening again.
Both the X sight and Photon have X&Y sight in settings, so you can write down your settings for different calibers or loads.
The X sight's sight in feature is easier than the photon, as the X sight has a dot to hold onto the center of the target, while adjusting the crosshairs to the last shot on target. It took me five rounds to dial the photon on my friends rifle, compared to two shots with the X sight.
Since I liked the Photon XT so much, I bought a used one from another member here and will be putting it on my newest coyote death machine build once I get the parts back to complete it next month.
Killing coyotes is higher on the priority list for me than recording now, so I might just bench the X sight till the build is ready.

Last edited by shoots100; 12/19/15 06:04 AM.
Re: 5x X sight and Photon 4x XT comparison. [Re: shoots100] #6091842 12/19/15 12:27 PM
C
ChasCZ Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
This sir is a fair comparison. Like you I had both of the early x-sight and photon. Both returned. Most of my shooting is done in daylight hours so I went with the x-sight. I only get to hunt at night for a couple weeks in the winter when I head south. Both are good sights for the price. It comes down to the features you want. I like recording my prairie dog hunts as well as the hog hunts. It's also nice with the x-sight to have my grand kids watch what I shoot on a tablet as I'm shooting and for me to watch what they shoot.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide