Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
IR Defense Hunter Mark 3 4.5 - 36 #6281758 05/01/16 01:18 AM
Tbar Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
IR Defense Hunter Mark 3 (4.5 - 36)

Has anyone used one of these? Is it worth the price and are you happy with it? Trying to talk myself into one.

http://www.irdefense.com/IRD-downloads/IRHUNTER-MKIII-SPEC-SHEET.pdf

Make America Great Again

Re: IR Defense Hunter Mark 3 4.5 - 36 [Re: Tbar] #6282265 05/01/16 05:16 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I have looked through one but not hunted with it, but have hunting with the 2.5x MKII (same optics as 2.5x MKIII, different firmware).

4.5x is a lot of magnification and a narrow field of view for shorter distance hunting situations. If you are hunting singular animals, it may not as much of a problem. If you are dealing with sounders or runners, then picking up the runners in the smaller FOV may be problematic inside 50-80 yards.

If you are planning on shooting mostly 150+ yards, then yes, the extra optical power is going to be worthwhile, absolutely.

If you are shooting inside 150 yards for normal critters like hogs and coyotes, the 2.5x version is probably better suited to the task.

The optics are definitely good. The question is whether or not how you hunt and what you hunt fits with the extra power.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: IR Defense Hunter Mark 3 4.5 - 36 [Re: Tbar] #6282315 05/01/16 05:51 PM
D
Dien Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I have the MKii and may upgrade to MKiii later as IR Defense has a program running for it.

I don't get to hunt much but its a nice piece of equipment for sure. No problems so far.

And yes as said before 4.5 is a lot unless you are constantly shooting out far.

Re: IR Defense Hunter Mark 3 4.5 - 36 [Re: Tbar] #6282392 05/01/16 07:20 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I have one in 2.5X. Love the firmware. Great product.

Prefer 2.5X over 4.5X for hunting hogs.

Re: IR Defense Hunter Mark 3 4.5 - 36 [Re: Tbar] #6284111 05/02/16 11:14 PM
Tbar Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
How does the Hunter Mark 3 compare to other products you have tried?

Make America Great Again

Re: IR Defense Hunter Mark 3 4.5 - 36 [Re: Tbar] #6284338 05/03/16 02:00 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
There are pros and cons to each.

The sight picture of the IR Defense (IRD) products is the best IMO. It just has a very sharp, detailed image. On the flip side, it has two things that I wish they would change. I wish it had auto-NUCing and that the video out was always on. You get used to the operation and learn to efficiently work around it, but still...it just shouldn't be that way. If it had those two items, no one would be anywhere close IMO.

If you decide to go with a 2.5X instead of the 4.5X, I would consider the REAP IR. Same software, but a smaller and lighter package. The MKIII has turret controls, while the REAP IR uses a joystick. I haven't fully settled on my preference, but at this point I think I prefer the turret.

I also have the IR Patrol which is much like the REAP IR, except it is 1X mag. I wouldn't use it as a scope, but have used it as one of four thermal monocs.

I have a Pulsar 50XD. It has some nice features for an inexpensive scope and is backed by Sellmark which has the best customer service in the business. It offers the choice of manual, semi-auto and auto NUCing and the video out is always live. The PiP option is nice too. There are two deal killers for me with the scope; it doesn't come in 640 and it doesn't have enough mag to be used at reasonable hunting distances.

I have an ATN 640, 5X. For whatever reason, I have just never fallen in love with this scope....and it is the most expensive original retail price thermal product I own. It weighs 3.1 lbs. for starters. But the sight picture has never grabbed me like the IRD. That is saying something because I was new to thermal when I first used the ATN. On the other hand, I had quite a bit of experience when I first looked into an IRD. The ATN also requires you to turn the video out on each time you power up and has manual NUCing. Sadly, it just hasn't done it for me.

I just acquired my first Armasight so the jury is still out on it. It is a Zeus 3X - 24X, 640, 60 Hz, 75mm. The video out is always on and it has auto NUCing. At this point, I like the IRD sight picture better....but it is close enough. I sighted it in today and the process was simple. I haven't found anything not to like so far, well maybe buttons you use for operation. I like the turrets and joystick on the IRD products better.

So, in the end, the issues I have with the IRD are manageable and the sight picture is still my favorite. If I were going to consider something else, I would suggest you take a look at the Armasight before you put down the big bucks. You may not choose it, but it gives you something to compare to.

Back to the mag thing for just a sec. Everyone likes something different. I think sometimes it has to do with what we get used to, adjust to. Regardless, if you are buying thermal you are planning to hunt at night...which prolly means hunting hogs. Your environment makes a huge difference in scope choice. Short range (50-75 yards) and wooded, you can get away with a 3XX core and lower mag. 100 yards and more, open areas, a 640 core and more mag helps....it helps a lot the further out you go. Sometimes we think we will always hunt one way, then things change. I was hunting shorter ranges, closed in and now I hunt longer ranges, more open. Regardless of anything, I have a hard time with that ATN 5X staying on a running sounder sometimes. 2.5X - 3X works much better for me when they get their go on...

These are my experiences. Others will have their own input...and I appreciate them all. Never stop learning.

I hope this helps. up

Last edited by dfwroadkill; 05/03/16 12:52 PM.
Re: IR Defense Hunter Mark 3 4.5 - 36 [Re: Tbar] #6284363 05/03/16 02:15 AM
nak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Wow, great post. I love hearing from folks running multiple platforms,

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: IR Defense Hunter Mark 3 4.5 - 36 [Re: nak] #6284668 05/03/16 01:27 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: nak
Wow, great post. I love hearing from folks running multiple platforms,

Thanks, I enjoy experiencing it all. I am not married to any one manufacturer. I am on the Pulsar Pro Staff, but that doesn't stop me from offering an honest opinion. Sellmark (Sightmark, Pulsar) does a great job of customer service and the products are by and large reliable. They offer entry level gear that works for a reasonable percentage of hunters. If you want something more such as a 640 core and more mag you have to go elsewhere and it gets a bit expensive. Once you experience this other gear, it is hard to go back. At this point I own 6 thermal scopes and 4 thermal monoculars from a variety of manufacturers.

I see some folks on forums that either own one scope or multiple scopes by one manufacturer or others that are supported one way or another by various manufacturers. I think that unless you actually purchase your own gear without manufacturer support and/or you use products by multiple manufacturers, your opinion will be tainted one way or the other.

I read one post by a guy the said a particular scope was the best he had ever had or used. Turns out it was the only one. Unless you go out in the field and use multiple products for a reasonable amount of time, your opinion will be generally skewed. Gaining that experience takes time and money. I have done that and am continuing to do it. I don't mean this as a plug, but this is one thing that I admire about Tyler Adair with Ultimate Night Vision. He hunts a lot....a whole lot. He uses everything on the market. Ask him any question about any product and he has a complete and accurate answer for pretty much any product. I wish all dealers were that way.

Using multiple platforms does not make me an expert or right, but my views are my own and not tainted by relationships.

Re: IR Defense Hunter Mark 3 4.5 - 36 [Re: Tbar] #6290639 05/07/16 06:09 PM
Bearclaw Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Tbar
IR Defense Hunter Mark 3 (4.5 - 36)

Has anyone used one of these? Is it worth the price and are you happy with it? Trying to talk myself into one.

http://www.irdefense.com/IRD-downloads/IRHUNTER-MKIII-SPEC-SHEET.pdf

The MK III 4.5x has the best image and best long range capabilities of any thermal scope that is currently available. The 4.5x doesn't bother me, but I do prefer the 35mm REAP or Hunter for pig hunting. The 60mm comes in very handy for coyote hunting. If you are unsure then the safest bet is to get a MK III 35mm, and if you want the 60mm you can always take advantage of the IRD upgrade program.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide