THF Trophy Hunter
D

Re: Ammo update [Re: DCS] #4122006 03/15/13 12:10 AM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I'm am just waiting for things to get so bad that people start selling individual rounds instead of boxes. When that happens I am cashing out. grin

Re: Ammo update [Re: JCB] #4122788 03/15/13 01:40 PM
D
DSessom Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
We had a gun show last weekend, and it was by far the BEST gun show I've ever seen here in my town. There was at least 1000 rifles, pistols and shotguns for sale, and probably 20 tables filled with all calibers of ammo! It was awesome! I ended up buying a Baby Desert Eagle .45ACP that I have been wanting, and it was the first .45 I'd ever seen in person, so it took me all of 5 seconds to snatch off the table. Also loaded up on .45ACP, .44 Special, .45 Long Colt, and 9mm. Only calibers they didn't have were 22 Mag and .50AE (no surprise there).

I do have over 200 rounds of each in 22 Mag and .50AE so I'm good for now, BUT... all the local shops are now rationing. Small shops and Wal-Mart too.

D. Sessom
Re: Ammo update [Re: DSessom] #4122965 03/15/13 02:46 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Well the good thing is I don't need anymore ammo, I've even got some ammo I have no use for. I'm fixing to go through it all and pick them out and offer them up here. I will offer them selectively to those I deem need them and at the price I paid for them. This jacking up of prices I've seen on here is disturbing to say the least, when a box of 45 Long Colts were offered here at a dollar a round that took the cake. We have people buying ammo at the stores and then turning around and offering them here just to make a dime off the members and I find that disgusting in every way. The IRS and the ATF are watching, should you get caught I'll have no sympathy. As a matter of fact I may even turn them your way!

As I said in an earlier post, one member here knew I was in need of 22-mags, he found some and arranged to get them to me at his cost plus shipping. Thats a friend and a member in good standing!

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Ammo update [Re: HWY_MAN] #4157855 03/31/13 07:17 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
DSessom---Somewhere I have a box of 50AE. Will not go to trouble or expense of shipping, do not understand shipping law so will not get involved. But if you are in this area you can have 19 of them. I only wanted one when I bought the box.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Ammo update [Re: JCB] #4157905 03/31/13 07:46 PM
D
Dave B Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: JCB
I'm am just waiting for things to get so bad that people start selling individual rounds instead of boxes. When that happens I am cashing out. grin

Me 2. I have an unopened bucket of 1400 rds of 22lr that I would sell for $1.00 per round. $1400.00 in the bank baby. Sad thing is there is probably someone out there that would pay that price soon.

Re: Ammo update [Re: Dave B] #4158094 03/31/13 09:55 PM
N
notamtchance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
Ya, and also someone out there that would take advantage of another person.

If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Re: Ammo update [Re: notamtchance] #4158155 03/31/13 10:41 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Had a discussion the other day the consensus we came to is the ones buying and reselling ammo and firearms in these times are showing no better character than the ones trying to use Sandy Hook to grab our guns.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Ammo update [Re: HWY_MAN] #4158264 03/31/13 11:55 PM
T
toolman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Well the good thing is I don't need anymore ammo, I've even got some ammo I have no use for. I'm fixing to go through it all and pick them out and offer them up here. I will offer them selectively to those I deem need them and at the price I paid for them. This jacking up of prices I've seen on here is disturbing to say the least, when a box of 45 Long Colts were offered here at a dollar a round that took the cake. We have people buying ammo at the stores and then turning around and offering them here just to make a dime off the members and I find that disgusting in every way. The IRS and the ATF are watching, should you get caught I'll have no sympathy. As a matter of fact I may even turn them your way!

As I said in an earlier post, one member here knew I was in need of 22-mags, he found some and arranged to get them to me at his cost plus shipping. Thats a friend and a member in good standing!

^ This! I tend to expect better from our so-called fellow hunters and outdoorsmen. Every time I see a case of blatant gouging, I'm reminded of my druggie brother stealing my Aunt's television because he "needed gas money and no one was home". There's no excuse for this type of behaviour other than greed, pure and simple!

Old age ain't for sissies!

Re: Ammo update [Re: toolman] #4158324 04/01/13 12:31 AM
Mike W Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
As long as there are buyers, there will be sellers. Very basic supply/demand / capitalism.

This cannot be fixed at the voting booth.. Wake Up You Morons!
Re: Ammo update [Re: Mike W] #4159033 04/01/13 05:07 AM
T
toolman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Mike W
As long as there are buyers, there will be sellers. Very basic supply/demand / capitalism.

Isn't that like saying it's ok for your daughter to get a job hooking in Vegas? After all, it's legal and it's all about the money, right?

Re: Ammo update [Re: HWY_MAN] #4159042 04/01/13 05:28 AM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

cheers

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: Ammo update [Re: tth_40] #4159432 04/01/13 02:21 PM
B
badger2b Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
^ X2

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
Re: Ammo update [Re: badger2b] #4159986 04/01/13 06:40 PM
Mike W Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: toolman

Isn't that like saying it's ok for your daughter to get a job hooking in Vegas? After all, it's legal and it's all about the money, right?

No, it's more like saying: As long as there are buyers, there will be sellers. Very basic supply/demand / capitalism.

This cannot be fixed at the voting booth.. Wake Up You Morons!
Re: Ammo update [Re: toolman] #4160019 04/01/13 06:56 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

WTF!! Toolman where in the hell did that come from? I agree with Mike on this one. Since for most of us ammo is for playing and not a must have , then I dont see where yall are getting the whole GOUGING thing. Quit buying it and the prices will come down. The ones bitching the most are generally the ones causing the problems. If there are so many evil people buying ammo just to make a profit then just quit freaking buying it and leave them holding the bag. Pretty damn simple to understand even for a dumb country boy like myself.

Re: Ammo update [Re: BOONER] #4160097 04/01/13 07:28 PM
F
floresrsr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: BOONER

WTF!! Toolman where in the hell did that come from? I agree with Mike on this one. Since for most of us ammo is for playing and not a must have , then I dont see where yall are getting the whole GOUGING thing. Quit buying it and the prices will come down. The ones bitching the most are generally the ones causing the problems. If there are so many evil people buying ammo just to make a profit then just quit freaking buying it and leave them holding the bag. Pretty damn simple to understand even for a dumb country boy like myself.

^x2

Once we have a war there is only one thing to do. It must be won. For defeat brings worse things than any that can ever happen in war.
Ernest Hemingway

Re: Ammo update [Re: BOONER] #4161321 04/02/13 04:01 AM
T
toolman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T

Where that came from is from pure frustration at A: All of the DB's snagging every round they can get their hands on so they can flip it for a profit, and B: All of the guys who have the attitude that it's just fine and dandy because it's legal. My statement was intended to prove the point that just because it may be legal, that doesn't make it right. I've always expected more from the hunting/shooting community (sort of a "we're all on the same team" deal), but I'm starting to wonder why. It's just a sad little view of where the country is headed...

Last edited by toolman; 04/02/13 04:09 AM.

Re: Ammo update [Re: toolman] #4161382 04/02/13 05:26 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Toolman, when it comes to guns and ammo, anything anybody does that is legal to someone else is considered morally okay. Now if it is done to you, then morally it is wrong. I will explain more in detail later, I have to get ready to head to Academy in the morning with my load of old farts so we can clean the shelves while you working people are at work. up rofl

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Ammo update [Re: toolman] #4161395 04/02/13 06:01 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

Where that came from is from pure frustration at A: All of the DB's snagging every round they can get their hands on so they can flip it for a profit, and B: All of the guys who have the attitude that it's just fine and dandy because it's legal. My statement was intended to prove the point that just because it may be legal, that doesn't make it right. I've always expected more from the hunting/shooting community (sort of a "we're all on the same team" deal), but I'm starting to wonder why. It's just a sad little view of where the country is headed...

It is not the people that are selling it that is the problem. It is the people buying it. Why is that so hard for people to understand? confused2

Re: Ammo update [Re: BOONER] #4161399 04/02/13 06:13 AM
M
missingAK Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M

It is not the people that are selling it that is the problem. It is the people buying it. Why is that so hard for people to understand? confused2

I agree that the people willing to pay these high prices are PART of the problem.

The DB's that are buying up all the available ammo to sell it for a profit are also PART of the problem.

It seems like we're divided as to who should be the group to solve the problem.

Some are saying the DB's should stop being opportunistic profiteers.

Some are saying the people who love to shoot (but assumed there would always be ammo so didn't prepare) should stop doing what they love until the profiteers run out of money or supply catches up.

I'm on the fence. I don't really have a dog in the fight because I am neither a profiteer or unprepared. I do feel bad for the guys that have to give up doing what they love for a time or poney up their hard earned money to the DB profiteers.

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." Winston Churchill
Re: Ammo update [Re: missingAK] #4161490 04/02/13 11:35 AM
S
stinkbelly Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I saw the feeding frenzy yesterday at Walmart. It looked like a bunch of women at 4am on Black Friday. I was just waiting for someone to be trampled to death.

It was kind of funny to watch. I was in the store buying a video game for the kids. I went to the ammo counter to see if they had any 380 ammo because my wife is taking her CHL class this month an need a box. The lady said they were out, but a truck came in and there might be some ammo on it. She said it should be out in a little bit. So I waited a few minutes and when I returned to the counter it was a zoo. There was no one in the store except the guys at the ammo counter. I hear one say "she said it would be out here on the hour". There was no way I was waiting around with them. As I walked out, I saw the sporting goods lady rearranging the left over Easter candy.

It would have been fun to see how long they had to stand there before they fought over the one box of 38 special ammo.

Re: Ammo update [Re: BOONER] #4161692 04/02/13 01:36 PM
T
toolman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
[/quote]It is not the people that are selling it that is the problem. It is the people buying it. Why is that so hard for people to understand? confused2 [/quote]

Because the people selling it ARE the people buying it. I'm not talking about dealers, I'm talking about the guys standing in line @ Academy with all of their buddies when they open (Dogcatcher and crew grin), with the sole intention of snagging every box they can and reselling it. Creating false shortages for profit is wrong IMO, and as long as folks keep confusing profiteering with capitalism, it will never end. People like to talk about these guys getting stuck with a bunch of overpriced ammo or guns, but a lot of these guys are buying it for what EVERYONE would be buying it for if they hadn't gotten to it first. Luckily, I'm not hurting for guns, and I've got enough supplies to load for every gun I own, but when I have a friend telling me that they had to buy .45 ACP ammo out of a guys' trunk @ Academy for $1.00/rd or be forced to cancel his upcoming CCW class, there's a problem.
I'm not trying to step on anyones toes, and I meant no disrespect to MikeW (I don't even know if he has a daughter), I just want folks to realize that this IS a moral/ethics issue and we're standing by watching the bad guys screw over the good guys for a quick buck. There is no ammo shortage, and the manufacturers and most dealers aren't the ones behind the current stupidity. I'd be willing to bet a $100 brick of .22 L.R. that a good bit of the stacks and stacks of ammo for sale at just about any gun show, came from the same stores that most of us would normally shop at, if they had anything left to sell.

Last edited by toolman; 04/02/13 01:54 PM.

Re: Ammo update [Re: toolman] #4161906 04/02/13 02:30 PM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
A little proactive planning puts you outside all that mess. Most people can't/won't plan for what they'll need in the next day, let alone a few months. So as a result, they go without then complain about it. I refuse to fall into that category.

If one doesn't want to become part of the problems associated with the rest of the herd, plan ahead.

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: Ammo update [Re: toolman] #4161951 04/02/13 02:45 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I was at BPS in Grapevine one morning, and I happened across the ammo section, asked what was available and they had some 22LR, .223/5.56, and pistol rounds (9mm, .40, .45) at the gun counter. I needed some .22LR for myself and BIL, so I decided to take a number. I was number 113, and they were calling 93 when I pulled my number.

I watched many of the guys in front of me take 10 boxes of .223/5.56 federal, 10 bricks of 525 .22LR, I guess there was a 10 box limit. When my number came up, I asked for 2 bricks of .22LR and asked if they had any 9mm, but they were out of that. I asked the price on .223 but it was too high to buy, so I walked away with 2 bulk boxes of .22LR. I walked over to check out (you had to make the purchase at the gun counter) and the guy at the counter, several in front of me, was laying out over 1000 cash for the purchase he made. Several bags of ammo.

If these guys flipping ammo wouldn't buy the max every time they could, then there would be more ammo for the rest of us who need a little and then we would be able to pay 21 dollars for a box of 525 instead of 50 plus gas to drive or ship...

I understand capitalism and all that, and I also understand why certain stores have limits on the number of boxes you can get at a time, which is much better than a gov't ban on ammo for sure. However, you can't tell me that what the ammo buyers are doing is totally on the up and up, as I would make a guess to say at least 90% of them are not paying sales tax out of that ammo and they are not claiming the profit they are getting as income.

That hurts all of us in the long run. So I would bet that for the majority of the time, what they are doing is in fact NOT legal.

Re: Ammo update [Re: tth_40] #4161957 04/02/13 02:46 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: tth_40
A little proactive planning puts you outside all that mess. Most people can't/won't plan for what they'll need in the next day, let alone a few months. So as a result, they go without then complain about it. I refuse to fall into that category.

If one doesn't want to become part of the problems associated with the rest of the herd, plan ahead.

Bingo...it is hard for some of this generation to fathom the thought of tomorrow or next week though...they can't get beyond the face staring at them in the mirror.

Just FWIW, this comment was not directed at anyone on this forum!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide