Print Thread
Field care of cape for mounting #9037478 Yesterday at 11:55 PM
F
freerange Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I had a friend archery shoot a big buck early one morning and about 40 degrees. It was poorly hit and was found alive after 5 hours and was finished off when it was about 50 degrees. He was cleaned and in a cold walkin within a couple hours and it was about 60 then.
The taxidermist has reported his tanner said the cape is ruined(hair slipping). The reason the tanner gave was the poorly hit deer likely got a very high fever and that coupled with the outdoor temps was enough. The tanner said that it was very common on poorly hit deer. The tanner went so far as to say "a poorly hit deer rarely makes it out of the tanning process".
This taxidermist is a trusted and quality guy but I dont know the tanner.
I feel like the deer was handled fine and I feel its a real stretch that fever from a poor shot could cause that damage.
Im a little inexperienced with this particular scenario cause I gun hunt and almost all my deer die quickly and are recovered and dealt with quickly.
What do yall think?????

Last edited by freerange; Yesterday at 11:59 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Field care of cape for mounting [Re: freerange] #9037488 16 hours ago
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I've never heard of it. And I've guided dozens and dozens of deer hunters, many of whom made poor shots. All mounts came out fine.

I've never, ever heard of that....sounds like the tanner was making an excuse for a error or poor tanning job.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Field care of cape for mounting [Re: freerange] #9037499 15 hours ago
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by freerange
I had a friend archery shoot a big buck early one morning and about 40 degrees. It was poorly hit and was found alive after 5 hours and was finished off when it was about 50 degrees. He was cleaned and in a cold walkin within a couple hours and it was about 60 then.
The taxidermist has reported his tanner said the cape is ruined(hair slipping). The reason the tanner gave was the poorly hit deer likely got a very high fever and that coupled with the outdoor temps was enough. The tanner said that it was very common on poorly hit deer. The tanner went so far as to say "a poorly hit deer rarely makes it out of the tanning process".
This taxidermist is a trusted and quality guy but I dont know the tanner.
I feel like the deer was handled fine and I feel its a real stretch that fever from a poor shot could cause that damage.
Im a little inexperienced with this particular scenario cause I gun hunt and almost all my deer die quickly and are recovered and dealt with quickly.
What do yall think?????

go with your gut, Tanner or taxi messed up

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Field care of cape for mounting [Re: freerange] #9037503 15 hours ago
F
freerange Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
3 for 3 on opinions so far. But please dont let our opinions taint yours. If you feel differently about this I would like to know.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Field care of cape for mounting [Re: freerange] #9037505 15 hours ago
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
3 for 3 on opinions so far. But please dont let our opinions taint yours. If you feel differently about this I would like to know.

Ive hung capes on a fence in 40-60 degree weather for almost two days and they didnt slip.

End of the day, caps gone and needs a new one. I gave all my capes away from last year or Id give you one

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Field care of cape for mounting [Re: freerange] #9037510 15 hours ago
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Calling BS on the tanner excuse. Never heard of this before.
All I know is DO NOT salt a hide that has not been fleshed, you'll cook the fat and tissue onto the hide. If you don't know what your doing just fold the skin sides together hair out, roll up and freeze till you get it to someone who knows.

Re: Field care of cape for mounting [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9037534 14 hours ago
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Ive hung capes on a fence in 40-60 degree weather for almost two days and they didnt slip.

End of the day, caps gone and needs a new one. I gave all my capes away from last year or Id give you one

Same, I’ve had capes in 60 degree weather for 1-2 days (in the shade) and they were fine.

Re: Field care of cape for mounting [Re: freerange] #9037549 13 hours ago
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Taxi or tanner dropped ball and is deflecting.....

Re: Field care of cape for mounting [Re: freerange] #9037590 3 hours ago
S
Southtexas36 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
At some point after the drop off, the cape was mishandled and this is where the problem occurred. Our capes stay warmer in early season that what you describe and they all do fine.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide