Print Thread
Mason Mountain ----- Drawn! Finally something #5934399 09/18/15 01:34 PM
O
okjhutch Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
O
Well our group finally drew a hunt. We had 12 pts, and drew out at Mason mnt management hunt. The first week of November.

Can anyone that has hunted there give us some pointers?

There will be 4 of us in a group, so are we limited to compartments or should we break up into 2 groups of 2 for better compartments. We all have 4x4 so that's no problem there. Should we bring pop up blinds? and corn?

I have already called and reserved us beds in the bunkhouse, they gave us the only room with 4 beds.

Do they still allow hunters to shoot stray axis? (our luck probably not)

We have antler restrictions of 6 pts or less on the bucks. Is it unlikely to see this or should we hold out for those 6pters.

Is there some good places to eat dinner in Mason? At the bunckhouse it is share the kitchen area, so it might be quicker and easier to just go to town and eat.

Thanks in advance for all your help trying to let us know something. That's one good thing about this forum group of hunters, we are willing to help out our fellow hunters.

Thanks again
hutch

Re: Mason Mountain ----- Drawn! Finally something [Re: okjhutch] #5934711 09/18/15 03:51 PM
boonee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Congrats, I have put in for that place several times. looks good on the maps and the area map I pulled up.
The late 90's and early 2000's we drew a hunt almost every year, 5 years ago we went on a few stand by hunts,since then NADA.
Good Luck, post up your experience.

Avenger Firearms 214-577-5818
avengerfirearms@gmail.com

Lifetime NRA member
Re: Mason Mountain ----- Drawn! Finally something [Re: okjhutch] #5934814 09/18/15 04:49 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
It was an easy hunt last year. Great place to stay. We killed 6 deer and one hog by the first morning and left. We brought our rods but they wouldn't let us fish the tanks, as there wasn't one in our assigned compartment.

They have grills and we cooked steaks and sipped crown for dinner. Great bunch of people running the place. Only one axis was killed when we were there. Its high fence and they aren't in every pasture. We corned the roads the night we got there and killed all of our deer walking the roads. They have a walk in cooler and a good place to skin your kills. Also have a nice rifle range. We got there a few hours before the safety class and they let us check our rifles.

I would split your bunch into two groups as the compartment we had was just about the right size for two men to stalk hunt.

Last edited by scalebuster; 09/18/15 05:04 PM.
Re: Mason Mountain ----- Drawn! Finally something [Re: okjhutch] #5934950 09/18/15 06:14 PM
O
okjhutch Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
O
thanks, I would like to shoot my rifle before I go hunt so that is nice and so is the walk in cooler. So I am guessing if you have a pond in your compartment you could do some fishing if your done hunting and have time left before its over. We all catch and release. I hope they allow us to shoot any stray exotics. I know they have the gemsbok and schimitar's and waterbuck for there guided hunts and I can understand not getting to shoot them, but hopefully the others would be fair game. If not maybe we can get some good pictures of the exotics.

I wonder if there is any good places to eat town, or groceries stores, or if we wanted to stay at a hotel if there ways a god nice clean place to stay in mason.

We are looking forward to going, it has been several years since we have all got to draw out on a hunt.

Re: Mason Mountain ----- Drawn! Finally something [Re: okjhutch] #5948001 09/26/15 11:10 PM
O
okjhutch Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
O
scalebuster, which compartment did you all hunt in? which compartments where most of the axis in or did you here from anyone about those axis? I hope they would allow us to shoot a axis, I would be fine with a doe or cull buck. If we have a pond in our compartment we can fish it? We have 2 of our guys already back out due to medical, so it is just me and my dad, he sure would like to see and shot a axis, he is 73 and has never had a chance at one.

I wondering about places to eat in town, any suggestions?

Re: Mason Mountain ----- Drawn! Finally something [Re: okjhutch] #5948239 09/27/15 02:13 AM
T
TimOub007 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Okjhutch,

If you can't get your dad on an axis on this hunt let me know (PM) and maybe we can make that happen for him.

Tim

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide