Print Thread
Theory on "hunting pressure"? #6067135 12/04/15 10:50 PM
T
Thenickel05 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
I hear the term "hunting pressure" aggressively in regards to deer movement and being able to see deer during shooting hours. Im the only hunter on 200 acres, hunt 3-5 times a month and curious to hear opinions on "hunting pressure". When does hunting become too much?

Re: Theory on "hunting pressure"? [Re: Thenickel05] #6067147 12/04/15 10:56 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
IMO, it isn't as much about the activity, it is how the activity is performed. Deer learn to pattern us better than we pattern them. If you drove the same road every day and used a road feeder, the deer would get accustomed to your movements and can be trained to come to the sound rather than run away. If you are rarely on the property and go through on a 4 wheeler, you are going to change the activity in the woods and can push alot of deer.

Same theory is used on some shooting ranges. Deer have been seen down range while shooting is going on. The deer become conditioned to the noises that are in their environment and our movement in their home.

When hunting, pressure becomes too much IMO when people make mistakes. Entry and exit points. Time of arrival and departure. Routes used to access the stand locations. Wind direction. Etc. You can only push the mature deer so many times before they will avoid certain areas.

Doe are notorious for checking stand locations, especially of a bow hunter. They will circle down wind and I have seen them walk right up and look to see if you are in it.

Typically, I let the deer tell me what is "too much" but sometimes you never even realize the effects you are having.

Good luck up

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Theory on "hunting pressure"? [Re: Thenickel05] #6067171 12/04/15 11:15 PM
D
ddmm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
you may be the only one on 200 acres, but what's happening on the land around you. You can't simply look at your
place, unless you have a few thousand acres, when talking about hunting pressure. When your at your place and not hunting, do you stay put at camp or roam around. Running around the place while not hunting will move the deer off a place if they are not used to the traffic.

Re: Theory on "hunting pressure"? [Re: Thenickel05] #6067173 12/04/15 11:17 PM
T
Thenickel05 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Good points. When I'm there I use my atv to get around.

Re: Theory on "hunting pressure"? [Re: Thenickel05] #6067225 12/04/15 11:53 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I run around my place all the time in the Kubota. Does not bother the deer. But if something different does the running around they know it right away.

Re: Theory on "hunting pressure"? [Re: txshntr] #6067441 12/05/15 02:16 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: txshntr
IMO, it isn't as much about the activity, it is how the activity is performed. Deer learn to pattern us better than we pattern them. If you drove the same road every day and used a road feeder, the deer would get accustomed to your movements and can be trained to come to the sound rather than run away. If you are rarely on the property and go through on a 4 wheeler, you are going to change the activity in the woods and can push alot of deer.

Same theory is used on some shooting ranges. Deer have been seen down range while shooting is going on. The deer become conditioned to the noises that are in their environment and our movement in their home.

When hunting, pressure becomes too much IMO when people make mistakes. Entry and exit points. Time of arrival and departure. Routes used to access the stand locations. Wind direction. Etc. You can only push the mature deer so many times before they will avoid certain areas.

Doe are notorious for checking stand locations, especially of a bow hunter. They will circle down wind and I have seen them walk right up and look to see if you are in it.

Typically, I let the deer tell me what is "too much" but sometimes you never even realize the effects you are having.

Good luck up

There it is, my thoughts as well up Some of those old does can sure get under your skin bang It becomes their life long mission to search your azz out and tattle.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Theory on "hunting pressure"? [Re: Thenickel05] #6067677 12/05/15 04:47 AM
K
kmartinusa Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
What txhuntr said.

I mostly hunt two places. One is a farm who has visitors (rancher, hands, etc.) several times each week and deer there seem to not be as spooky. The other place is two miles from any road, along the red river and has nearly no people activity, ever except for during the fall. Ive learned that Its pretty much a waste of time to hunt back to back on the quiet place. I've gotta give it two or three days to rest after hunting.

Kevin

Last edited by kmartinusa; 12/05/15 04:48 AM.

Originally Posted by LandPirate
We kept it as a pet for several months until it got run over by a truck. Then we ate him.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide