Print Thread
Dang blasted weeds and sunflowers #5993381 10/25/15 05:28 PM
C
chalet Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
I hunt up in Archer county. My main stand is in a pretty wide draw about 50 yds off a dry creek. I have one feeder about 100 yds up the rise south of me, and another one about 100 yds north across the little creek. Typical AC pasture with older mesquites and some scrub brush. Usually I have about a 270 degree view and can see as far as 300 yds in places. Not this year. Pasture, especially the lower part of the draw is solid 8' sunflowers and about waist high broom weeds. I mean solid, I have a hard time driving down in there now. Main road isn't so bad but my little roads to stand and feeders are so grown up I can't get see them and drive in without worrying about getting off in a hole or hitting a stump. So I drove in, parked as close as I could and walked in 400# of corn about 110 yds.

So, I realize its a little late but finally made it out there yesterday. Yoyo'd about a 10 yd wide clearing up the hill all the way from my stand to one feeder. Cut another circle about 25 yds due west of my feeder and planted a hog roll barrel. Then topped the taller weeds in the creek and cleared out the front and inside the feed pen across it. Those are pretty much only areas I can see.

Thought about finding a different stand site but pretty much our whole lease is the same way. Going to be interesting to see how it affects the deer. Don't think they are going to move near as much this year. Looks to be a slow one.

Now I know you East Texas fellas feel.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Dang blasted weeds and sunflowers [Re: chalet] #5993391 10/25/15 05:39 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Tractor, shredder and one weekend......

BTW, deer will still move, still have to eat, will just be able to do it in more cover.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Dang blasted weeds and sunflowers [Re: chalet] #5993405 10/25/15 05:59 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You haven't mown yet? You're late!

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Dang blasted weeds and sunflowers [Re: chalet] #5993526 10/25/15 07:22 PM
C
chalet Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
It'll be second weekend of season before I hunt, I'm in good shape. What's irritating is I have family that farm up there, one of who is on the lease with me. About a month ago I said hey, can your run a brush hog out there and mow some shooting lanes, stand areas, etc. "sure" she says "no problem" . A couple weeks, couple text later apparently brush hog doesn't work. Ok, how bout just run a little tractor with a [censored] scraper out and knock em down. Yea, I can do that. Never happened though. Whatever. Family, can't live with em, can't shoot em as the say.

Figured out a long time ago you don't just put a feeder up and hunt it. You find where deer already are and like to move, then put up the feeder. My draw is well traveled usually and I see deer all over, at least half of which don't usually come into the feeder. This year if it isn't at the feeder, I'm not seeing it. I did some scouting and the usual trails and crossing don't look like they've seen much traffic.

For some reason we don't have many hogs. Strange considering the area, plus we have a creek that feeds into Onion Creek and also feed corn 9 months out of the year. Past year or so just a few random boars come through after dark. Haven't seen a sounder at my stand since 2013. Maybe they'll move back in this year. Put up some solar lights and also picked up a Photon xt 4.6. They are the main critters I'm after, I'll let the kids shoot deer.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Dang blasted weeds and sunflowers [Re: chalet] #5993943 10/25/15 11:34 PM
C
Cow_doc.308 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
I feel your pain. I've got some kind of weed waist high or higher all around my feeder. I do have a huge view of a wheat field though. My hope is the deer like the weeds for cover and travel more in there.

Re: Dang blasted weeds and sunflowers [Re: chalet] #5994098 10/26/15 12:46 AM
C
chalet Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
Borrowed these pics off my buddies Facebook page. He is about 800 yds from me on our place. Find the feeder in the 2nd.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Dang blasted weeds and sunflowers [Re: chalet] #5994201 10/26/15 01:25 AM
R
rackjudge Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Man I want to chime in on your rant, but it sounds like you are hoping/asking someone else to handle your business. I seriously doubt that the sunflower growth is going to negatively impact your hunting. It will however impact your visibility.

Re: Dang blasted weeds and sunflowers [Re: chalet] #5994321 10/26/15 02:16 AM
C
chalet Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
I handle my own business, I'm not hoping/asking for anything. It is definitely going to impact the hunting, can't shoot what you can't see. But, on the flip side, I was telling my buddy we should have a good crop of all kinds of critters next year with the amount of cover and food they've had this year. It'll still be a good hunting season, just thought I'd post up about what's going on as it definitely isn't normal for this part of the country.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Dang blasted weeds and sunflowers [Re: chalet] #5996345 10/27/15 01:28 PM
L
LG Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
hey I would get my short legged self lost in that mess....lol

Never look a monkey in the eye
Re: Dang blasted weeds and sunflowers [Re: chalet] #5996393 10/27/15 01:51 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
We spent 3 or 4 days mowing our place back in August. Broom weeds and sunflowers like you said where crazy, but that's all in part to a good Spring which I will trade weeds for any day.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: Dang blasted weeds and sunflowers [Re: chalet] #5996458 10/27/15 02:23 PM
T
TruTexican Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I hunt in the same area you do. There are places on our place that look exactly like those pics. Do you feed year around? In the floods last spring, I had a feeder sight wash away. It washed away my pen, all the t-posts, camera, feeder, everything. So, I moved my feeder location using the same blind. It was over grown as well with a lot of cactus patches at my new sight. I just put my feeder up and set it to sling a lot of corn. Every time I went out there, I would hand throw a lot of corn on those cactus patches. It took a little bit, but the dang hogs did what they do best. They cleared my new sight for me. Rooted up all the cactus and trampled all the weeds. Once they had it pretty clear, I put my feeder pen up to keep them out and my deer traffic shot way up. Several really nice mature bucks coming in and hogs are just passing by. Them dang hogs are good for something. So, I suggest if you don't have a brush hog handy, throw out a ton of corn and let the hogs work!!

Secede!!
Re: Dang blasted weeds and sunflowers [Re: chalet] #5996466 10/27/15 02:26 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
batwing anyone

Re: Dang blasted weeds and sunflowers [Re: chalet] #5996574 10/27/15 03:22 PM
B
BOLT GUY Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Our place looks just like that. Been a real chore to clear some areas around the feeders and stands. I might be in the market for a tractor after this year.
Sunflowers in some of the areas were 8' tall, had to back up and get a running start just to plow through on the 4 wheeler.

Re: Dang blasted weeds and sunflowers [Re: TruTexican] #5996698 10/27/15 04:46 PM
C
chalet Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: TruTexican
I hunt in the same area you do. There are places on our place that look exactly like those pics. Do you feed year around? In the floods last spring, I had a feeder sight wash away. It washed away my pen, all the t-posts, camera, feeder, everything. So, I moved my feeder location using the same blind. It was over grown as well with a lot of cactus patches at my new sight. I just put my feeder up and set it to sling a lot of corn. Every time I went out there, I would hand throw a lot of corn on those cactus patches. It took a little bit, but the dang hogs did what they do best. They cleared my new sight for me. Rooted up all the cactus and trampled all the weeds. Once they had it pretty clear, I put my feeder pen up to keep them out and my deer traffic shot way up. Several really nice mature bucks coming in and hogs are just passing by. Them dang hogs are good for something. So, I suggest if you don't have a brush hog handy, throw out a ton of corn and let the hogs work!!

I've had one feeder running once a day most of the year. That pen was pretty clean. Funny you say that because I did scatter corn all over where I wanted them to clean up. Will see how well it works. We just don't seem to have a lot of hog traffic for some reason. I'd rather shoot hogs than watch 12-13" 8 points come and go all day.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Dang blasted weeds and sunflowers [Re: Navasot] #5996768 10/27/15 05:39 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Navasot
batwing anyone

WORD!

If I had land, say over 15 acres, I'd have a small tractor, more land, bigger tractor. If I just leased land, then borrowing or renting one one day in the late summer would be in order. You can get a lot done with a 35hp rental in 8 hrs.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Dang blasted weeds and sunflowers [Re: chalet] #5997544 10/28/15 12:04 AM
J
Jkd106 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Yea we got some record book sun flowers also. I cant complain, I like the cover.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide