Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The cost of wolves #7003154 12/19/17 10:49 PM
syncerus Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
This article is ostensibly about the spread of jackals into Europe, but there's a section about wolves at the end that I found fascinating. I'll only point out that the economic cost of wolf reintroductions has been grossly underestimated by the "environmentalists". Remember when they put out that wolves mostly survived by eating mice?

Jackals Spread into France

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: The cost of wolves [Re: syncerus] #7003482 12/20/17 03:03 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
No eco terrorist bunny thumper ever under-estimated wolves.

In the US Yellowstone was a pure experiment on unglulate control. 17k elk to 4K in less then 10 years.
Lots of elk hunting tag allocation around the park closed or significantly cut.

They just had a two year study on frank church’s Wolf predation on elk burned and barred from being released to the public, because of what was going to be reveled.

This is about the stopping the NEED for hunting, and the SUSTAINABILITY.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: The cost of wolves [Re: syncerus] #7003497 12/20/17 03:12 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Bobo, you saying the eco terrorists were for reintroduction as a means to end the need for human animal control (hunting)?

Never thought of that before, but then again, haven't much thought much about wolves in the past either....

Re: The cost of wolves [Re: Texas buckeye] #7003894 12/20/17 01:59 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
Bobo, you saying the eco terrorists were for reintroduction as a means to end the need for human animal control (hunting)?

Never thought of that before, but then again, haven't much thought much about wolves in the past either....

We were the predator at the top of the chain........not now where wolves are protected.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: The cost of wolves [Re: Texas buckeye] #7009588 12/24/17 07:45 AM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye

Bobo, please post links to the sources for your assertions. Thanks in advance.

My family has ranched cattle in Texas, NM, OK, KS, and Louisiana since the 1800’s, and I’ve seen more attacks by feral dogs than any other canines. Aside from the occasional calf or cow in distress, attacks by wolves & coyotes were relatively uncommon though slightly more common on fawns in areas with high deer density though not any more than other apex predators occupying the same habitats.

The significant populations of game animals in remote sections of N. America where hunting is rare to non existent, where other species of apex predators occupy the same niche and compete for the same resources to feed and survive, how would wolves affect the ecological balance in those environs in a detrimental, statistically significant manner that’s different? Research has shown they don’t, much less than other apex or opportunistic predators, or accidents, famine or environmental and ecological factors such as drought, disease, fires, flooding, severe cold, etc.

Those that suspect that the reintrodtion of wolves is an agenda promulgated by those who’s real goal is a veiled attempt to erode the rights of hunters should voice their concern in a manner that’s constructive and meaningful. Opinions voiced as fact is nothing more than a waste of time as is espousing misinformation as fact. And stating that the reintroduction of wolves in their native habitat may result in the gradual loss of hunting rights is a stretch. It didn’

The real threat to hunters is the lack of a concerted grass roots effort to stand unified in one common voice for our rights as naturalist, hunters, and responsible stewards of the land. And it’s as much our right to enjoy a legally protected right that’s just as deeply ingrained in our culture as faith, family, and being American. I may not agree with someone’s lifestyle or religious beliefs but I served our country’s military and was willing to give my life to safeguard their right to live as they choose. And it’s a shame this country has become polarized and intolerant. And the dissemination of inflammatory, sensationalist news and misinformation by news media, and social media is just a few of the reasons.

Re: The cost of wolves [Re: syncerus] #7009909 12/24/17 04:33 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I would expect noting less from a guy that wants pigeon hunting banned,

Suggesting that animal rights activists, haven’t sued over the delisting and return to state managment is absurd. Please explain why animal right groups sued to have the frank church USFG study shredded? Infact please explain why tax payers footed the bill for having to defend millions in legal challages simply over delisting. The science was cut and dry.

Your ranch comment is irrelevant, NM cattle loss due to wolves is part of the Farm Bill. According to you NM didn’t get mad because the feds hid cattle killing of a specific wolf because of its genetic diversity(oxymoron since there was in <15 left at one time). Thus resulting in NM suing over more wolf introductions. More then 210 cattle paid out deaths due to wolves in NM(wolves are only found in 4-5 counties). Again it’s documented and part of the farm bill. That’s the little Mexican wolf.Canadian wolf has a bigger appetite

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/...high-in-wyoming

Also did the introduction of wolves in Yellowstone (2million acres) not resulting in the elk population dropping from 17k+ to 4K?

Remote parts of N America where hunting is rare...wow, laughing my arse off is an understand statement. GreaterYellowstone eco system isnt that remote.

Again we can either manage unglutes via hunters and tags or via apex predators. If we want apex predators then they need to be managed to a point they don’t significantly effect tags or hunter success.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: The cost of wolves [Re: syncerus] #7009983 12/24/17 05:34 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
The devastating effects of excessive wolf predation on elk and moose in western WY, ID and other western states is well-documented. With science. (Even without science the results on the ground speak for themselves.) No one but the most ardent tree-hugger with an agenda would even argue the point.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: The cost of wolves [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7010638 12/25/17 03:49 AM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

In the US Yellowstone was a pure experiment on unglulate control. 17k elk to 4K in less then 10 years.
Lots of elk hunting tag allocation around the park closed or significantly cut

My .02 and worth more than you’ve got inthe bank......:)

They just had a two year study on frank church’s Wolf predation on because of what was going to be reveled.

This is analogous to an audience observing gladiatorial games determining that early man couldn’t have possibly survived to the modern age due to the prevalence of large, meat eating predators. Modern, relational prey/predator statistical analytics between the two afore mentioned species in an environment that has little in common with their prior evolutionary habitat was is as relevant as my left nut performing a duet with Lady Gaga’s pancreas. And the dribble that passes for a lot of environmental and biological science is destined to the trasheap of history.

Hearing nonsense in the guise of science makes me want to go get an old fashioned cupping or bled

I hear .a mercury enema and snifter of laudanum works wonders as well.

Science is a profession of guess until you get it right. Conjecture is idi-farking-odic.

Re: The cost of wolves [Re: syncerus] #7010697 12/25/17 05:20 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Modern man’s intervention into the predator/prey continuum has (just as in thousands of other cases) rendered prior reliance on analysis that does not take our influence into account-meaningless.

In other words, our influence is no longer a blip on the scale - our thumb has been firmly placed upon it and will remain there. Ignoring that fact is to ignore reality.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: The cost of wolves [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7010753 12/25/17 08:26 AM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Modern man’s intervention into the predator/prey continuum has (just as in thousands of other cases) rendered prior reliance on analysis that does not take our influence into account-meaningless.

In other words, our influence is no longer a blip on the scale - our thumb has been firmly placed upon it and will remain there. Ignoring that fact is to ignore reality.

Our influence is a definitely a factor. But As a specie, we tend to [censored] more often than blip.

Name one blip that’s improved the world we live in, that we’ve improved and that’s made the Eartg a better place to live?

Re: The cost of wolves [Re: syncerus] #7010796 12/25/17 12:46 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Aerangis clearly hates humans.

Go up to lake hugo and camp at Ratton landing. Get to talking to the old man with Arizona plates that runs the park. He was an actual rancher in wolf country. Not past generations in places where there once was wolves. I'd bet your greats killed plenty of wolves.

Re: The cost of wolves [Re: syncerus] #7010829 12/25/17 01:27 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Ive more shot felines & canines than i care to remember. That affected our bottom line but having oprated cow/calf to a 7000 fre range in Texas, putting cattle on rural pasture with a healthy population of carnivores should be a candidate for an aggresive effort to thea matter of effectively mannaging rick. aranched to losses was one of the Wild, feral, if an atempt is made by any animal to prey on our calves,

Re: The cost of wolves [Re: syncerus] #7010852 12/25/17 01:50 PM
Y
yotehater Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Y
Coyotes kill far more calves and fawns than any domestic or feral dogs could ever dream of. A rancher supporting predator rights over livestock isn't much of a rancher.

One shot is all it should take.
Re: The cost of wolves [Re: syncerus] #7010891 12/25/17 02:31 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Great thing about feral dogs and coyotes is...... You can shoot them as they stalk your herd. Wolf better have a calf in his mouth.

Re: The cost of wolves [Re: syncerus] #7010894 12/25/17 02:35 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Wolves kill coyotes, but I kill everything. Man was wise to kill wolves. They killed and kill livestock and too much game and are dangerous. It's a mutated pesky coyote on roids. If it was in my yard I would not feel safe and it would be dead. I had a pet wolf. I hated it. It did not take a skoulding, just would run off. Would not listen to anything. Not a good idea. I got one for ya!! If it cant survive like the coyote and crow without man's help, let it die. That's man made evolution. I can promiss you the crow and yote aint goin anywhere and they have evolved to do so just like mankind.

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: The cost of wolves [Re: aerangis] #7010963 12/25/17 04:01 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: aerangis

They just had a two year study on frank church’s Wolf predation on because of what was going to be reveled.

This is analogous to an audience observing gladiatorial games determining that early man couldn’t have possibly survived to the modern age due to the prevalence of large, meat eating predators. Modern, relational prey/predator statistical analytics between the two afore mentioned species in an environment that has little in common with their prior evolutionary habitat was is as relevant as my left nut performing a duet with Lady Gaga’s pancreas. And the dribble that passes for a lot of environmental and biological science is destined to the trasheap of history.

Hearing nonsense in the guise of science makes me want to go get an old fashioned cupping or bled

Science is a profession of guess until you get it right. Conjecture is idi-farking-odic.

Aw how cute a wolfaboo. Your 2cents is worth more then I have in the bank?? That’s some funny shiit. A wolf boo that needs to brag about his bank account.. it will be ok little guy. Learn to use quote button.

Again why did your people want the FC study shredded and not released to the public? Why spend millions of dollars to prevent state management after the relocated Canadian wolves reached their previous designated lower 48 recovered number status?

Re: The cost of wolves [Re: syncerus] #7011006 12/25/17 04:42 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I want apex predators as part of the ecosystem too.
But not at any price.
The Yellowstone goals (established by science) were met long ago - yet they kept moving the bar up and up and up. And look what happened.

Re: The cost of wolves [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7011014 12/25/17 04:46 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
But not at any price.
The Yellowstone goals (established by science) were met long ago - yet they kept moving the bar up and up and up. And look what happened.

Nailed it. We manage them, not the other way around

Re: The cost of wolves [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7011046 12/25/17 05:10 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
What a lot of people fail to understand is that humans are just as natural as any other predator and our place in the ecosystems management is just as natural as well.

We are the natural apex predator. Not the wolf or any other predator. The world was designed for us to control our competitors. We are the only ones with the mental capabilities to manage populations and habitat. A few wolves and other predators are fine. But a shoot on sight protocol is certainly wise when dealing with animals with the predatory capabilities of wolves.

Relinquishing the apex predator spot to another specie would simply be foolish.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: The cost of wolves [Re: therancher] #7011051 12/25/17 05:13 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: therancher
What a lot of people fail to understand is that humans are just as natural as any other predator and our place in the ecosystems management is just as natural as well.

We are the natural apex predator. Not the wolf or any other predator. The world was designed for us to control our competitors. We are the only ones with the mental capabilities to manage populations and habitat. A few wolves and other predators are fine. But a shoot on sight protocol is certainly wise when dealing with animals with the predatory capabilities of wolves.

Relinquishing the apex predator spot to another specie would simply be foolish.

I agree.

Obviously I don't have a wolf problem in Fannin county, but I do have a real coyote problem. I am as opportunistic on them, as thet are on prey.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: The cost of wolves [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7011053 12/25/17 05:13 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
But not at any price.

Nailed it. We manage them, not the other way around

That's right.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: The cost of wolves [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7011062 12/25/17 05:19 PM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
But not at any price.

Agree! I would love to see a wolf in the wild. I don't, however, want to see one every time I look out my back door. I feel the same way about coyotes, bobcats and fox.
I believe they have their place in the ecosystem. JMO

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: The cost of wolves [Re: yotehater] #7011066 12/25/17 05:24 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: yotehater
Coyotes kill far more calves and fawns than any domestic or feral dogs could ever dream of. A rancher supporting predator rights over livestock isn't much of a rancher.

That’s a strong assertion, the assumption being your a subject matter expert, a licensed bovine actuary?

Re: The cost of wolves [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7011094 12/25/17 05:41 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A

[bAw how cute a wolfaboo. Your 2cents is worth more then I have in the bank?? That’s some funny shiit. A wolf boo that needs to brag about his bank account.. it will be ok little guy. Learn to use quote button.

Again why did your people want the FC study shredded and not released to the public? Why spend millions of dollars to prevent state management after the relocated Canadian wolves reached their previous designated lower 48 recovered number status?

Proper use of the phrase Quote” button is a prerequisite to taking the next class, “Understanding Sarcasm and it’s use :

Re: The cost of wolves [Re: aerangis] #7011098 12/25/17 05:43 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: yotehater

That’s a strong assertion, the assumption being your a subject matter expert, a licensed bovine actuary?

I know in my area I NEVER see stray dogs roaming. My nearest neighbor is a mile away. But I probably kill a coyote every week to every other week, and have continously for 4 years.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide