Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Is It Just Me #6999506 12/17/17 03:12 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Or does it seem like more quality harvests over quantity is being posted in THF this season? Seems like many more harvest posts in prior seasons though maybe quality higher this season. Could this be the result of droughts in prior 3 out of 5 seasons? What say the forum?

Re: Is It Just Me [Re: DQ Kid] #6999519 12/17/17 03:25 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Honestly?

I think comments from some on anything less than big bucks (“Nice cull”, “Should have given him another year”, etc.) are starting to keep many from posting their buck pics on here. Kids are an exception.

I could be wrong though. It has been a good year in my neck of the woods for overall quality. I don’t have a theory on the reason.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Is It Just Me [Re: DQ Kid] #6999532 12/17/17 03:30 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I think NP is on to something

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Is It Just Me [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6999539 12/17/17 03:36 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Honestly?

I think comments from some on anything less than big bucks (“Nice cull”, “Should have given him another year”, etc.) are starting to keep many from posting their buck pics on here. Kids are an exception.

I could be wrong though. It has been a good year in my neck of the woods for overall quality. I don’t have a theory on the reason.

I believe that.

Re: Is It Just Me [Re: DQ Kid] #6999555 12/17/17 03:48 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I think that's definitely part of it. I saw this online a while back and it illustrates it perfectly.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Is It Just Me [Re: DQ Kid] #6999575 12/17/17 04:19 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Agree, also sounds like less shooters being seen this year at least in NW Texas. Lots of natural food sources this season unlike prior dry seasons.

Re: Is It Just Me [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6999586 12/17/17 04:41 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Honestly?

Might as well add the HF, caliber, gun vs bow, age, etc. Hunters negativity against others because someone doesn’t do it “their way” has grown and created a divisive and more negativity than anything.

If someone shoots a deer and post it, I assume they are proud of it and everyone else should be proud for them or keep their mouth shut. On here, if I see comments degrading another’s deer, it will be removed but can’t catch them all and can’t do anything about the negativity on discussion threads that cause the same issue and have the same result. Is just part of the hunting community now.

For me, I don’t care what others say. Like my Mule deer this year, I was proud of him but had three buddies tell me they wouldn’t have shot that deer because of his fronts. Their choice and didn’t bother me a bit.

As far as the OP, I have seen “better” deer posted but agree that overall number of mature deer being seen is down. I don’t believe the numbers are down, just more groceries and better range conditions.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Is It Just Me [Re: DQ Kid] #6999601 12/17/17 04:53 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
I know on my place in the Panhandle, we have great "numbers" of young deer, but mature bucks were nowhere to be found. I thought we'd be a little farther along in recovery from the drought, but it looks like a couple more years before we're going to see mature bucks in good numbers.

That's not to discount anything said above, because I definitely agree, but there is something to do with the drought going on as well. Bet that.

[Linked Image]
Re: Is It Just Me [Re: kry226] #6999604 12/17/17 04:57 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: kry226
I know on my place in the Panhandle, we have great "numbers" of young deer, but mature bucks were nowhere to be found. I thought we'd be a little farther along in recovery from the drought, but it looks like a couple more years before we're going to see mature bucks in good numbers.

That's not to discount anything said above, because I definitely agree, but there is something to do with the drought going on as well. Bet that.

Our place is still missing the age group from the drought 5-6 years ago and I assume most of Texas is too. We have had good range conditions and fawn crops since then. I am surprised in the fawn crop this year, as I expected it to be much higher do to range conditions and herd health, but we aren’t seeing it.

Re: Is It Just Me [Re: txshntr] #6999623 12/17/17 05:09 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Honestly?

Might as well add the HF, caliber, gun vs bow, age, etc. Hunters negativity against others because someone doesn’t do it “their way” has grown and created a divisive and more negativity than anything.

If someone shoots a deer and post it, I assume they are proud of it and everyone else should be proud for them or keep their mouth shut. On here, if I see comments degrading another’s deer, it will be removed but can’t catch them all and can’t do anything about the negativity on discussion threads that cause the same issue and have the same result. Is just part of the hunting community now.

For me, I don’t care what others say. Like my Mule deer this year, I was proud of him but had three buddies tell me they wouldn’t have shot that deer because of his fronts. Their choice and didn’t bother me a bit.

As far as the OP, I have seen “better” deer posted but agree that overall number of mature deer being seen is down. I don’t believe the numbers are down, just more groceries and better range conditions.

Big difference between debating issues related to hunting in the abstract and directing dissing someone.

I don’t see debate/differences in opinion as “negativity”. Unless one is sensitive to the point that only their opinion counts or so shy that they are willing to let others drive the train (even if it’s over a cliff). Hunters have debated means and methods since sport hunting began. Attitudes evolve. It’s why night hunting prohibitions, bag limits, minimum caliber laws, seasons, ARs, etc. exist - when there used to be no rules.

Debates over what constitutes fair chase, long-range hunting, how we present ourselves via the media, and a host of other topics are ongoing in the hunting community among serious people genuinely concerned about making sure hunting continues. IMO that’s a good thing - much better than keeping one’s mouth shut and letting the Keith Warrens of the world take over the narrative. Fighting for what’s right is always “divisive”. Nothing good is ever accomplished or nothing bad is ever stopped without some seeing it as “divisive”.

But, carry on....

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Is It Just Me [Re: txshntr] #6999625 12/17/17 05:11 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Honestly?

Agree, don't recall you trying to pass off your Muley as the next Booner, just one you had harvested.

Re: Is It Just Me [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6999634 12/17/17 05:15 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Honestly?

Big difference between debating issues related to hunting in the abstract and directing dissing someone.

I don’t see debate/differences in opinion as “negativity”. Unless one is sensitive to the point that only their opinion counts or so shy that they are willing to let others drive the train (even if it’s over a cliff). Hunters have debated means and methods since sport hunting began. Attitudes evolve. It’s why night hunting prohibitions, bag limits, minimum caliber laws, seasons, ARs, etc. exist - when there used to be no rules.

Debates over what constitutes fair chase, long-range hunting, how we present ourselves via the media, and a host of other topics are ongoing in the hunting community among serious people genuinely concerned about making sure hunting continues. IMO that’s a good thing - much better than keeping one’s mouth shut and letting the Keith Warrens of the world take over the narrative. Fighting for what’s right is always “divisive”. Nothing good is ever accomplished or nothing bad is ever stopped without some seeing it as “divisive”.

But, carry on....

Have no issue with debates as is evident on how many I am involved in. It is the way they are presented and how the people handle themselves in them. Attacks are not debates. And yes, some people are overly sensitive and think everything is directed at them.

Re: Is It Just Me [Re: DQ Kid] #6999638 12/17/17 05:17 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: DQ Kid

Agree, don't recall you trying to pass off your Muley as the next Booner, just one you had harvested.

Theys didn’t do it as an attack or to be mean, it was just in conversation. Everyone has a style that they like or attributes that they are more inclined to look for.

Re: Is It Just Me [Re: txshntr] #6999648 12/17/17 05:20 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Honestly?

But, carry on....

Have no issue with debates as is evident on how many I am involved in. It is the way they are presented and how the people handle themselves in them. Attacks are not debates. And yes, some people are overly sensitive and think everything is directed at them.

Yes they are.

And, sometimes, they are right because, sometimes, folks are just jerks. When the comments turn from the abstract to dissing someone’s personal hunt/experience/profession/etc. it’s easy to see.

Re: Is It Just Me [Re: DQ Kid] #7000008 12/17/17 11:11 PM
T
TexasWITETALE Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I can personally attest to this line of thought. As my post count suggests, I do much more reading than posting and this is for different reasons on different topics. As for harvest pics, I hunt Northeast TX and killed the biggest deer of my life that scored about 135. He was 3.5 or 4.5 years old and I used a gun. This would not be a trophy to many but I was blessed to have the opportunity and to have my 11 year old son in the stand with me. I have absolutely no desire to show him on the forum for the exact reasons mentioned. I am not sensitive and do not care how anyone chooses to hunt but I refuse to be the catalyst for the elitist that take every opportunity to "teach" everyone else what is "right."

Re: Is It Just Me [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7000013 12/17/17 11:14 PM
B
Buck25-06 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I think that people are embarrassed to post average deer . Let me say no one should be you choose you shoot it post it be proud of it. The difference between hunting on a budget and those who own large acre ranches and those with very deep pockets.can still be outdone by skill patients and time spent hunting. With a little luck mabey you will get monster.l praise anyone who gets out and hunts and teaches their kids and grandchildren to hunt.l am proud to say that I have accomplished this here are som pics just good average deer.

I know allot about everything-Everything about nothing!!!!
Re: Is It Just Me [Re: DQ Kid] #7000025 12/17/17 11:19 PM
B
Buck25-06 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B

I'm blessed with lots memories these are just a few sons and grand kids

Re: Is It Just Me [Re: DQ Kid] #7000028 12/17/17 11:27 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I believe it's both dynamics affecting the numbers being down:

The drought and weather this season.

Personal attacks and rude comments; the dark side of social media. This includes all the examples mentioned in this thread so far.

I think it would help if all members remember before they comment about other members photos and posts about their hunt that killing an animal hunting is a very personal and emotional experience.

Most people aren't going to react well to negative comments about the way they hunt and the game they kill. If they aren't breaking game laws it would be better to keep those type of comments to your self IMO.

Now if they ask for your opinion, that's different.

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 12/17/17 11:28 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Is It Just Me [Re: TexasWITETALE] #7000037 12/17/17 11:39 PM
B
Buck25-06 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: TexasWITETALE
I can personally attest to this line of thought. As my post count suggests, I do much more reading than posting and this is for different reasons on different topics. As for harvest pics, I hunt Northeast TX and killed the biggest deer of my life that scored about 135. He was 3.5 or 4.5 years old and I used a gun. This would not be a trophy to many but I was blessed to have the opportunity and to have my 11 year old son in the stand with me. I have absolutely no desire to show him on the forum for the exact reasons mentioned. I am not sensitive and do not care how anyone chooses to hunt but I refuse to be the catalyst for the elitist that take every opportunity to "teach" everyone else what is "right."
you need to get to posting way more praise than negative congrats on your deer and the memories with that hunt

Re: Is It Just Me [Re: DQ Kid] #7000080 12/18/17 12:09 AM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I hunt. I shoot. I skin. I eat. Doesn’t matter to me what you guys think, and since I never post pics, nobody ever gets to critique my buck. I’m retired and having a grand old time. I do enjoy your pictures, and I have never ever ‘Monday morning quarterbacked’ anybody’s deer. If you are happy, I am happy. And if your kid or grandkid gets a deer, I am even happier.

Called the college grandson this morning to tell him I got 4 pigs in the trap. He was dying to be here and help with the skinning, but had some big exams. He did ask for some pig meat, and he will get some. He gets recipes from my wife. It’s all good.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Is It Just Me [Re: DQ Kid] #7000123 12/18/17 12:57 AM
B
brokenpole Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
True hunting is a thing of the past,I bow hunt in October, and take the kids during rifle season, my youngest sees no reason to hunt feeder during rifle season, he is 11, he has killed two doe and one basket rack buck

Re: Is It Just Me [Re: Buck25-06] #7000124 12/18/17 12:58 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Buck25-06
Originally Posted By: TexasWITETALE
you need to get to posting way more praise than negative congrats on your deer and the memories with that hunt

I agree 100%. Definitely more praise than negative, just the negative stand out more.

Re: Is It Just Me [Re: DQ Kid] #7000126 12/18/17 12:58 AM
B
brokenpole Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I guess it harvest vs hunting terminology

Re: Is It Just Me [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7000496 12/18/17 12:39 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Honestly?

In all fairness, some people post pics of exceedingly young bucks, that are barely legal, & crow about it like they are the next Larry Weishuhn.

Seems like last year, some doofus posted a pic of a 2.5yo 6pt. IF he was 13", it woulda been a miracle (more likely, he wasn't 13", not legal & doofus didn't even know there was such a thing as AR). Sorry, that don't impress me. In fact, quite the opposite.

Don't be posting pics of very obviously young bucks, that ain't even legal, & expect everyone he to "fawn" all over you.

Kids are obviously different than a grown man. I salute any kid shooting a legal buck. But why would a grown man be proud of young, small buck? You shot a small buck, it ain't hard. It's not like they accomplished some grand feat.

Re: Is It Just Me [Re: txshntr] #7000546 12/18/17 01:29 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Honestly?

But, carry on....

I love a good debate...the problem I've seen on here is that people either have thin skin and get their feelings hurt easy and then start attcking people and the other problem is that as stated some people are simply jerks...and they know their being jerks and definitely seem to enjoy being so. I believe the jerk behavior has caused people to bale on this forum.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide