Forums46
Topics537,778
Posts9,729,041
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days #6904905 10/01/17 06:23 PM
D
doggit Online Content OP
Bird Dog
OP Online Content
Bird Dog
D
Went to buy a Taurus pistol they had on sale already have 3 so need another like I need a hole in my head but for the price figured WTF. Anyways just bought a gun from them last month no problems. This time was filling form out on their tablet and was talking to guy while was filling it out. He was checking my CHL license. Handed it back to him when done and he says cant sell me pistol because I answered question wrong. WTF??? Asked what it was said he couldn't tell me that would be coaching me and a felony. Now I'm getting pissed. Call a manager, told them they need to show me wrong question. He said couldn't. I told them without showing me proof how do I know the employee just isn't profiling me and rejecting my form. Finally they showed me I answered the " are you and illegal" wrong I didn't put N/A for next question. And once I signed it TOO Bad!!! JEEZ now I know it was my fault, I'm about as white of a boy as they come 45 yrs old, just bought a gun from them last month, they know me at the store, I have a CHL. But their store policy is if you screw up on yellow form once its signed , you are banned for 30 days from buying any firearm at ANY academy. I used to like them and think they were about promoting hunting and shooting but this stupid [censored] store policy has me rethinking that??? Now I know it was my fault, but use some common sense. I asked them how could the illegal question even be asked because cops can't even ask that question? They had no answer. I asked what ATF rules are for a mistake?? They had no answer. Told them would like to know because surely Federal law trumps any store policy. Said they would get back with me. Yeah right! Morale of the post is make sure you answered questions on form right before turning it in at ACADEMY!!!! [censored]!!!

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6904928 10/01/17 06:53 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I've heard the same thing before...you mess up and sign it then there's nothing they can do. I wonder how any other Academy would know that you filled it out wrong? Not sure about the 30 days thing though. FWIW, I bet you can get the gun cheaper online.

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6904978 10/01/17 07:50 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
There is not an ATF rule. That is Academy's dumb PC policy.

A 4473 can be marked void and redone if mistake is obvious and can be proven as so.

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6905008 10/01/17 08:28 PM
D
doggit Online Content OP
Bird Dog
OP Online Content
Bird Dog
D
Yeah from the research I've done since ATF leaves it up to the seller. So your right "academy's dumb PC policy"! I'm calling corporate this week doubt I'll get anywhere, but I'm going to try and get the email of who's in charge of this and will post it publicly, maybe we can get them to use some common sense, instead of acting like a dumb liberal corporation!!!!

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: huntwest] #6905019 10/01/17 08:43 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: huntwest

^^ This. And if Academy phones in the NICS background check, and the NICS response is "Delayed" (which happens to me often), Academy will NOT sell you the firearm. By ATF rules, the FFL can transfer you the firearm within 72 hours or 3 full days after if they don't hear back from NICS. But Academy's policy will not transfer it to you no matter what. They have some very strict policies.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: ChadTRG42] #6905051 10/01/17 09:19 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
They have some very strict policies.

Perhaps they've been raked over the coals by the ATF for submitting incorrect forms far too often.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6905139 10/01/17 11:10 PM
D
Deer Hound Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Surprised you have to fill out the yellow sheet in a lot of states you just put your CC number and that's it not form. I've not filled one out in 25 years Guess TX or Academy does it differently

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6905271 10/02/17 01:24 AM
neil mitchell Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I won't buy a gun from Academy because they won't take trigger lock off a pistol so I can feel how the gun feels in my hand.

Neil

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: ChadTRG42] #6905277 10/02/17 01:28 AM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K

^^ This. And if Academy phones in the NICS background check, and the NICS response is "Delayed" (which happens to me often), Academy will NOT sell you the firearm. By ATF rules, the FFL can transfer you the firearm within 72 hours or 3 full days after if they don't hear back from NICS. But Academy's policy will not transfer it to you no matter what. They have some very strict policies.

That must have changed with the new ownership. I used to work the gun counter at academy years ago and that wasn't the case.

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6905283 10/02/17 01:34 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
You should have been able to have read the form and immediately picked out the question you answered wrong without having to ask them to show you which one it was.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6905299 10/02/17 01:51 AM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Take your business elsewhere, and let Academy know that you won't be buying from them any more and the exact reason why. You can do a lot better on price, almost anywhere, even on line. Let your wallet/checkbook do the talking.

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6905445 10/02/17 11:01 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: doggit
Morale of the post is make sure you answered questions on form right before turning it in at ACADEMY!!!!

Yep, this would pretty much have taken care of everything.

Simple matter to CHECK your 4473 BEFORE you sign it and turn it in.

Would have saved you and the store employees the 'trouble' you think you have suffered and us your rant about it all.

Academy (or other private entity) may adopt and apply any 'policies' they like (within the confines of the law). The ones you have mentioned don't sound particularly onerous to me.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6905462 10/02/17 11:32 AM
6InARowMakeItGo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Academy lost me on guns when the hid the scary AR's after the sandy hook thing.

🍻
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: krmitchell] #6905474 10/02/17 12:08 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

That must have changed with the new ownership. I used to work the gun counter at academy years ago and that wasn't the case.
its been that way since 2005 at least, after the change in owner ship, (most) who work the gun counter, don't have a clue

Last edited by colt45; 10/02/17 12:10 PM.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6905567 10/02/17 01:24 PM
D
doggit Online Content OP
Bird Dog
OP Online Content
Bird Dog
D
Flintknapper, are you serious with your post or are you just trying to get a rise. It's people thinking like you and NOT USING ANY COMMON SENSE that have the government and this country so F"D up! I'm white obviously because I had to answer that question. I have a CHL, so obviously NOT illegal. Don't even know why I have to answer those questions the TRUE illegals don't!!! So yeah, I guess your right that their store policy banning me for 30 days from buying a gun is a fair policy my apologies for even bringing it to everyone's attention. And I can assure you the 20 yr old behind the counter didn't suffer any trouble, he had a hard on because he got to deny me. Made his day. Sure he was the hero of the store that day for keeping the world safe from another law abiding citizenfrom owing another firearm, like the one I had just bought from them less than a month ago. When I go back to purchase the gun I'm going to request a paper form that's what I'm used to filling out and easier to check than the tablet, sure that's going to cause more issues. And would you please explain what the confines of the law are on store policies?? Guess before we know it, the next store policy will be after the yellow form, to take a knee before approving a firearm purchase, would that "store policy" be onerous to you????????

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6905592 10/02/17 01:37 PM
A
Age N Score ? Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
popcorn

I Feed Indian Corn. The deer love it and all the colors make them stay at the feeder longer.
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6905621 10/02/17 02:03 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
If it was that good of a deal, have your wife go in and buy one.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6905628 10/02/17 02:09 PM
D
doggit Online Content OP
Bird Dog
OP Online Content
Bird Dog
D
LOL told manager that and he said that would be a felony. A straw purchase that they would have to report to the ATF. And since they had my name already they would be on the lookout for it. Unbelievable the dkwads they have working at academy these days. I'm not even pissed about not being able to buy the gun, it's being treated like a criminal!

Last edited by doggit; 10/02/17 02:11 PM.
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6905642 10/02/17 02:19 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
One thing that stands out is your steadfast ignoring of your role in this situation.

You filled the form out incorrectly.
You signed an incorrect form on which you misrepresented the facts.
You had to ask how/where you messed up even after being told you messed up. Which would mean to any objective person you don't understand the questions on the form and how they apply to you.
It's not their job to answer the questions for you. That's your job.

Their policies may be stupid to you. And you have a right to that opinion.

But look at it this way: they could have just turned it in, gotten a "no-go", and moved on. Instead of basically breaking the law and telling you about your error and where the error was made after you couldn't find it.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6905664 10/02/17 02:36 PM
D
doggit Online Content OP
Bird Dog
OP Online Content
Bird Dog
D
"One thing that stands out is your steadfast ignoring of your role in this situation"

JEEZ now I know it was my fault,

Now I know it was my fault, but use some common sense. I asked them how could the illegal question even be asked because cops can't even ask that question? They had no answer. I asked what ATF rules are for a mistake?? They had no answer. Told them would like to know because surely Federal law trumps any store policy. Said they would get back with me. Yeah right! Morale of the post is make sure you answered questions on form right before turning it in at ACADEMY!!!! [censored]!!!

YOUR ABSOLUTELY RIGHT I'M IGNORING MY ROLE, NOW LET'S ALL TAKE A KNEE!!! I said it was my fault twice. All I asked for is to use a little common sense like most sellers. Tear up the mistake form and start over and don't make the mistake this time, which apparently is perfectly legal since ATF doesn't specify what the rules are for an incorrect form, apparently they leave that up to the seller, and my mistake was not putting N/A after the illegal question, so yeah make perfect sense to any competent person that I should be banned from buying a gun from them for 30 days. Jeez I knew posting here would make me feel better. Thank you both for clarifying the situation and explaining it to me in a way that makes perfect sense. In fact it both your points make about as much sense as keeping supressors under control of the fed govt and a PITA to get.

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6905789 10/02/17 03:57 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
As a big retailer you specifically do not want the average counter worker using common sense with something where big fines or related major Federal ATF issues could be involved. You have a policy that places a wide buffer to avoid the human factor. You train people to follow your company's policies. That's what you get with retail stores.

The OP might also check this link: laugh

https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/learners/apply-citizenship

To be determined
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: krmitchell] #6905858 10/02/17 04:48 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

I have had family members and a friend try to purchase a firearm that was on sale, and the background check come back "delayed". After that, Academy said they could not transfer the firearm to them, unless the NICS called them specifically to report that this check was now a "proceed". In multiple cases, the Academy employee said that since it was delayed, and not a clear "proceed" (proceed means the NICS check went through and individual was cleared to have this firearm at that exact time) they would not be able to transfer the firearm to them. They said that the chances of NICS calling them back was very slim. This has happened several times within the last few years. I'm an FFL, and went ahead and ordered the firearm for them. The check came back delayed again for me. One family member received a call back for proceed, and my friend never received a call. At which time, I legally transferred it to him about a week later. Turns out, the friend had the same name as a felon, and ended up getting a UPIN for this reason. I have since transferred several firearms for him now, with an immediate "proceed" when using his new UPIN on the forms.

To the OP. Yes, if you check the wrong box, the FFL can not do anything further for you. If it's on paper, maybe you tear up the bad form, and fill out a new one. But on an electronic form, and when it's filled out wrong, that's it. It's done. No fix can be had.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6905907 10/02/17 05:18 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
I picked up my new suppressor on Friday. I was considering having it shipped but the forms were a PITA. One thing the FFL did say, in big bold print, was 'IF YOU SCREW THIS UP IT'S ON YOU AND WE CANNOT ASSIST-DO NOT FILL OUT THE FORM INCORRECTLY'.

If you want to be pissed, try waiting in line at your smith for four-five months, having the ~repaired gun shipped to you, and then it still doesn't work and it's a five hour drive to do anything about it.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6905940 10/02/17 05:46 PM
T
txshotgun Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Trump wants to build a wall to keep you illegals out... flag

roflmao Don't it suck went a rant goes sideways?

Recycle! Be an organ donor!

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6905945 10/02/17 05:50 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: doggit
"One thing that stands out is your steadfast ignoring of your role in this situation"

JEEZ now I know it was my fault,

Now I know it was my fault, but use some common sense. I asked them how could the illegal question even be asked because cops can't even ask that question? They had no answer. I asked what ATF rules are for a mistake?? They had no answer. Told them would like to know because surely Federal law trumps any store policy. Said they would get back with me. Yeah right! Morale of the post is make sure you answered questions on form right before turning it in at ACADEMY!!!! [censored]!!!

YOUR ABSOLUTELY RIGHT I'M IGNORING MY ROLE, NOW LET'S ALL TAKE A KNEE!!! I said it was my fault twice. All I asked for is to use a little common sense like most sellers. Tear up the mistake form and start over and don't make the mistake this time, which apparently is perfectly legal since ATF doesn't specify what the rules are for an incorrect form, apparently they leave that up to the seller, and my mistake was not putting N/A after the illegal question, so yeah make perfect sense to any competent person that I should be banned from buying a gun from them for 30 days. Jeez I knew posting here would make me feel better. Thank you both for clarifying the situation and explaining it to me in a way that makes perfect sense. In fact it both your points make about as much sense as keeping supressors under control of the fed govt and a PITA to get.

We have now established you are bitching about a situation that is your fault.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide