Print Thread
Idaho Hunts #6811523 07/04/17 01:04 AM
T
Texaspilot Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
T
I have a problem and I hope y'all can help. I am totally new to the sport of hunting. I just recently bought a rifle and got it sighted in. I started scouting he Sam Houston national forest and was hoping to do a hog hunt and a deer hunt this fall. Now, my company is moving me to Boise. I'm sure the hunting is probably good there, but I am disappointed that all my scouting and ground time here is now in vain. I've been dying to go on my first deer hunt this fall, so to get over the disappointment of not only leaving my home here in Texas, but of not doing the hunt, I am thinking I will try to find a guided hunt up there this fall, since I have no idea what to expect in that part of the country. I was wondering if any one here can recommend a good hunt up there that won't break the bank?

If I can't find one up there, maybe I'll do at least a hog hunt here before I leave home, but I really want to do deer and I will be away by the fall cry

Re: Idaho Hunts [Re: Texaspilot] #6811609 07/04/17 02:51 AM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Not certain on availability of over the counter tags but you can always check with the IDFG (Idaho Fish & Game) about places that you could walk in and hunt. Best advice is to find someplace where few, if any, other people are. The further from the road the better. There is plenty of game to be found in Idaho, including wolves.
I've hunted in the Salmon/Challis area on the east-central side of the state. Be working on getting in condition like never before.

One final thing, most states require 60-90 days in state before you are considered a resident. Also, check on their hunter ed requirements.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Idaho Hunts [Re: Texaspilot] #6811614 07/04/17 02:58 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Idaho has lots of OTC units. More non weapon dependent you are more areas it opens up.

I hunted OTC in Idaho. I held elk, Mulie, and wolf tags... as a non res your elk/Mulie tag is good for bear/lion/wolf also.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Idaho Hunts [Re: Texaspilot] #6811640 07/04/17 03:26 AM
syncerus Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Why not do an exotic hunt here in Texas before you leave?

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Idaho Hunts [Re: syncerus] #6811644 07/04/17 03:30 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: syncerus
Why not do an exotic hunt here in Texas before you leave?

This. Go shoot some animals, get some meat.

Re: Idaho Hunts [Re: Texaspilot] #6811676 07/04/17 04:39 AM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Freezer full of meat very difficult to move to Boise. When do you officially move?

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Idaho Hunts [Re: Texaspilot] #6811737 07/04/17 12:03 PM
T
Thrice Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
I'm trying to relocate to Boise actually. Best of luck, and go get an Axis before you move.

Re: Idaho Hunts [Re: Texaspilot] #6811759 07/04/17 12:38 PM
T
Texaspilot Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
T
I would do one here, but I am afraid of the difficulty involved in moving a freezer of meat. I will probably go in late august.,,

Re: Idaho Hunts [Re: Texaspilot] #6811841 07/04/17 02:02 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I've hunted Idaho a few times and have come to the conclusion that it's become more and more like Colorado. Tons and tons of people all over the place, racing around on their four wheelers all day long. I've also found that very few people get back into the Wilderness Areas, and that's where you will find the animals. Private land can be good too, but it needs to be patrolled because of all the locals that trespass. The two good hunts that I had in Idaho where 20 miles in on horseback. We hired an outfitter to provide the horses, and check on us during the hunt to pack out what we might have.

It's been too long to recommend anybody. Time, quality of the area and people change too often to say that who I used ten years ago is still a good outfitter. The Hunting Report has always been a good source to read up on successful and unsuccessful hunts. It's proven to be more then worth it's cost on every trip I've taken based on what I've read on there.

http://www.huntingreport.com/

Re: Idaho Hunts [Re: Texaspilot] #6811889 07/04/17 02:55 PM
R
Russ79 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I would suggest that before you leave, if you can swing it, get a lifetime license. That way you can come back and hunt if you get the opportunity.

Re: Idaho Hunts [Re: Texaspilot] #6811901 07/04/17 03:12 PM
T
Texaspilot Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
T
Russ. That is an awesome idea. I will look into it.

Re: Idaho Hunts [Re: Texaspilot] #6811911 07/04/17 03:22 PM
T
Texaspilot Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
T
It is pricey, but is it still valid even if I am currently the resident of another state, which I believe happens in about 6 months?

Re: Idaho Hunts [Re: Russ79] #6811967 07/04/17 04:04 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: Russ79
I would suggest that before you leave, if you can swing it, get a lifetime license. That way you can come back and hunt if you get the opportunity.

Isn't it pretty cheap to just get a seven day non resident license here in Texas? Before I moved here, that's what I did, and at the time, it was super cheap

Re: Idaho Hunts [Re: Texaspilot] #6812085 07/04/17 06:14 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
For hunting I'd switch to Idaho in a millisecond.

Re: Idaho Hunts [Re: EddieWalker] #6812311 07/04/17 09:32 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: EddieWalker
I've hunted Idaho a few times and have come to the conclusion that it's become more and more like Colorado. Tons and tons of people all over the place, racing around on their four wheelers all day long. I've also found that very few people get back into the Wilderness Areas, and that's where you will find the animals. Private land can be good too, but it needs to be patrolled because of all the locals that trespass. The two good hunts that I had in Idaho where 20 miles in on horseback. We hired an outfitter to provide the horses, and check on us during the hunt to pack out what we might have.

It's been too long to recommend anybody. Time, quality of the area and people change too often to say that who I used ten years ago is still a good outfitter. The Hunting Report has always been a good source to read up on successful and unsuccessful hunts. It's proven to be more then worth it's cost on every trip I've taken based on what I've read on there.

Disagree. More public land and more tag opportunities. I think Idaho smokes CO, but it's a 26 hr drive.

If I retired tomorrow I'd move to Idaho, #1 reason the hunting opportunities and second the people!!

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Idaho Hunts [Re: ducknbass] #6812315 07/04/17 09:34 PM
C
clarkfork Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: ducknbass
For hunting I'd switch to Idaho in a millisecond.

x 1000......, you will love it up there for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, skiing, etc..

Re: Idaho Hunts [Re: Texaspilot] #6812572 07/05/17 01:44 AM
T
Texaspilot Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
T
I used to love in Montana, so I know it's awesome up there for outdoor stuff, but Texas is home. I've lived all over the place and nothing beats Texas. However, the hunting and fishing may be better, I guess I'll see.

Re: Idaho Hunts [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6812751 07/05/17 09:14 AM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: EddieWalker

Disagree. More public land and more tag opportunities. I think Idaho smokes CO, but it's a 26 hr drive.

If I retired tomorrow I'd move to Idaho, #1 reason the hunting opportunities and second the people!!

Yep, Idaho smokes CO, theres really no comparison. As far as private land being poached, I have yet to see it on the large multi-thousand acre family ownd ranches that LDS has been ranching for many, many years. I have access to several large privately ownd ranches and poaching isn't a problem since a lot of that acreage is ownd by family. There's a signifian't number of large privately owned working ranches that have been in their families for years, the vast majority owned by generations of LDS and the adjacent ranches as well. They don't have the issues that youve described and game is plentiful, to put it mildly.

The hospitality and friendly nature of the folks I know there are typical. Though I can see how their way of life and the covenants they live by according to the tenets of their faith could cause them to distance themselves from individuls that choose to live in a different manner. And I understand completely.

Re: Idaho Hunts [Re: aerangis] #6812798 07/05/17 12:28 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
A good friend of mine moved to Boise eight years ago. After struggling hunting up there for several years he has flown down here and hunted with me the last two years. The areas around Boise are very crowded and require miles and miles of hiking to find any game. Then you get to hump that game out on your back if you do get lucky. He says he much prefers shooting a deer from a blind and calling your buddy to get the truck or four wheeler to bring it back to the camp house.

Re: Idaho Hunts [Re: Texaspilot] #6813790 07/06/17 03:16 AM
E
EM48 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
E
Lots of public land in the Northwest. From Boise you can access great hunting not only in Idaho but also Montana and Eastern Washington. Hunting is a lot more spot and stalk instead of staking out bait, but lots of opportunities all around.

Re: Idaho Hunts [Re: ChrisB] #6813884 07/06/17 12:35 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: ChrisB
A good friend of mine moved to Boise eight years ago. After struggling hunting up there for several years he has flown down here and hunted with me the last two years. The areas around Boise are very crowded and require miles and miles of hiking to find any game. Then you get to hump that game out on your back if you do get lucky. He says he much prefers shooting a deer from a blind and calling your buddy to get the truck or four wheeler to bring it back to the camp house.

Some people are in for the hunt some are in for the harvest. All personal preference.

Last edited by ducknbass; 07/06/17 04:37 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide