Print Thread
Guided Colorado OTC elk hunt #6640431 01/20/17 01:07 AM
F
FeetDown Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
F
So I've seen the threads for DRAW hunts and DIY OTC hunts...but here I'd like to talk GUIDED OTC elk hunts. Any advice on the following would be greatly appreciated fellas. The amount of info available online is overwhelming and I'm not sure where to start!

[*] First time elk hunting, so looking to go GUIDED (1x1 likely, maybe 2x1 if buddy is interested).
[*] No preference points, so thinking OTC tag (is it weird to go guided with an OTC tag?).
[*] Rifle season.
[*] Not looking for a trophy, but rather the best chance at successfully harvesting an elk.
[*] Want to burn some boot leather in the high country. I am young and fit and looking forward to the experience as much as killing an elk.
[*] Happy to go anywhere in CO that fits these criteria. Open to other states too if you know of something that checks all of the above.

Just looking to be pointed in the right direction, but of course am open to outfitter recommendations as well. Thanks again.

Re: Guided Colorado OTC elk hunt [Re: FeetDown] #6640500 01/20/17 02:05 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Your goals are quite realistic, and guided OTC hunts are common and not weird at all. Private land is another option, though the price is likely higher. I've yet to do a guided hunt, but I'll give you some ideas to get started.

Essentially, budget will determine a lot as far as the quality of elk and the hunt itself. Given your goals, you won't have to spend a lot to be happy. Determine your budget. Account for all expenditures, not just the guide fees. Travel expenses, food if it's not provided, gear you may need, guide tips, etc. Be clear on how the hunt is priced. Is it a package deal? Day rate plus kill fee? Etc.

Find a reputable outfit that provides the kind of hunt you want. Don't just Google outfitters and go with the first hit that looks good. I assure you that this is not something you want to weed out based on your own experiences. Someone here will likely give you a name based on first hand experience. If not, do your research and get real world reviews before choosing an outfit.

Decide what type of hunt you are most interested in. Sounds like you want to hunt high. Do you want to pack into the wilderness on foot? With horses? No wilderness? Public? Private? Snow? Nice weather? A cabin with two fireplaces and stocked with fine Irish whiskey? Etc.

Colorado is a fine choice. If high country is your thing, it's got what you want. A few other states do as well, so don't overlook those if the right opportunity comes along. Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming come to mind. Idaho has some particularly wild and nasty places, if Colorado isn't brutal enough for you.

Do not underestimate that high country if you've never been. Being young and fit, you can probably handle the rough part. The altitude is another story. If you've been there, then you are probably aware. And I mean if you've been to the very altitude you intend to hunt. There's a difference between 8 and 10,000'. It gets worse from there, and quick. Its not exceptionally demanding, physically. Certainly not what many make it out to be, so long as you pace yourself according to your abilities. You just can't take the effects of altitude lightly. Stay very well hydrated on your way up (driving), and keep it that way. I would also recommend some Altitude Advantage from Wilderness Athlete. I believe it helps. Altitude sickness is no joke. Take no chances.

Determine your maximum shooting range, and be realistic about it. Very long shots are always possible up there. Know what you and your equipment are capable of. If you're confident of making longer shots, know your ballistics and be able to run the numbers for the altitude and atmospheric conditions where you're hunting. At traditional ranges, there isn't much to consider. Beyond that, altitude can have incredibly significant effects on trajectory. Knowing these numbers is essential, however, don't rely on that knowledge alone. Be proficient in the execution of whatever shot you intend to take.

Bring the right gear. Don't spend that kind of money on a big hunt and skimp on gear. I know guys that kill elk every year, on diy otc hunts, with just the basic equipment. I like to be more comfortable, and I like to have as much of an edge as I can, given my lack of experience that they have on their side. Quality, comfortable, broke in boots are dang near essential. Quality clothing, in general, has been a game changer for me. I prefer layers of wool and synthetic, along with rain gear. Cotton is not ideal. A good pack can be handy or downright necessary, depending on the type of hunt. Good glass and a harness is typically high on the list. A rangefinder if you shoot out there a ways. Believe me when I say that country is deceiving. Don't trust yourself to judge 300 yards from 400. The guide may do that for you, though. And if you don't own a Havalon knife, just go buy one. There is no logical reason to use anything else on a hunt like that.

That's all I can think of, for now. Hope it helps.

Re: Guided Colorado OTC elk hunt [Re: FeetDown] #6640524 01/20/17 02:21 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
^^^^
He nailed it

I can't add anything else other then during rifle season the weather can change from bright and sunny to blizzard in a matter of hours

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Guided Colorado OTC elk hunt [Re: FeetDown] #6640533 01/20/17 02:27 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
It's not weird to go guided on OTC...usually lots of high country and wilderness and being provided a drop camp in Wilderness is valuable if you don't have some private to hunt. Might as well go OTC, the cheaper voucher units will have about as many hunters as the OTC.

Re: Guided Colorado OTC elk hunt [Re: FeetDown] #6640574 01/20/17 02:44 AM
F
FeetDown Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
F
Sneaky, that is incredible advice. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your insights!

Thoughts/responses:
- Public/private: Not much of a preference so long as not too busy out there.
- Budget: Will have to sharpen my pencil on what is realistic, but all-in hoping to stay under $10k, and more preferably under $8k.
- Camp: I envision sleeping in a wall tent and everything else hauled in by somebody else. Don't want to stay in a lodge.
- Terrain: "Mountainous" smile Altitude on said mountain doesn't matter so much to me - wherever the elk are. Altitude sickness sucks for sure, I will hydrate like crazy and use that product you mentioned!
- Shooting range: Plan to use my late grandfather's 1968 Remington 700 .30-06. I have a lot of practicing to do as I grew up on the east coast where you can only hunt shotgun/black powder (no rifles) and have hunted similarly-restricted public land in TX since moving here 10 years ago. So no super long shots.
- Gear: Read you loud and clear. I have excellent base layers and boots, but good outerwear, a pack, and glass will be on the must-buy list.

Anyone have thoughts on area of the state to focus on? I have the map that shows which units have OTC tags. Really asking so I can narrow the list of outfitters to speak with...

Last edited by FeetDown; 01/20/17 02:51 AM.
Re: Guided Colorado OTC elk hunt [Re: FeetDown] #6640584 01/20/17 02:51 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I would look for private and outfitters on the Grand Mesa if that's the budget you're looking at (and it should be about 1/3 of that).

Re: Guided Colorado OTC elk hunt [Re: FeetDown] #6640601 01/20/17 03:04 AM
F
FeetDown Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
F
Thanks rifleman. Good to know. I was factoring in airfare, car rentals, tip, license, processing, and maybe even gear in the budget - were you referring to just the guide fee?

Re: Guided Colorado OTC elk hunt [Re: FeetDown] #6640617 01/20/17 03:12 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Yes, thats about right for guide, license & camp. The other fees will fluctuate and the drive isn't that bad if you wanted to cut cost that way. (Plus you don't know if you'll shoot first day or last for flight scheduling issues)

Voucher price in the high volume tag units are usually tied in with guide costs if an outfitter is getting all the LO tags from a LO. Ex: they could eat most of them (maybe get $500-750 for some) or lure you to book the guide service since they have a large block of lower pressured private.

Re: Guided Colorado OTC elk hunt [Re: FeetDown] #6640625 01/20/17 03:18 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
No problem. Keep asking any questions you have. This kind of hunt deserves every detail squared away.

As for your current questions of specific areas and such, rifleman stays up to date on that sort of thing. Just listen to him.

Re: Guided Colorado OTC elk hunt [Re: rifleman] #6640633 01/20/17 03:19 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Yes, thats about right for guide, license & camp. The other fees will fluctuate and the drive isn't that bad if you wanted to cut cost that way. (Plus you don't know if you'll shoot first day or last for flight scheduling issues)

I've heard it's pretty expensive to fly the meat back, as well. It's a beautiful drive, anyway.

Re: Guided Colorado OTC elk hunt [Re: FeetDown] #6640681 01/20/17 03:44 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
If you have 8 grand to spend you can buy a landowner tag in New Mexico.

$8k should cover a good private land elk hunt

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Guided Colorado OTC elk hunt [Re: Sneaky] #6640691 01/20/17 03:47 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

I've heard it's pretty expensive to fly the meat back, as well. It's a beautiful drive, anyway.

I'd donate before I paid to fly it back. I forget the quote I got the one time we were planning to and it was cheaper to go buy a cpl deep freezers.

Re: Guided Colorado OTC elk hunt [Re: txtrophy85] #6640725 01/20/17 04:26 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

That's a hard option to pass up. Of course, there's west Texas, too. Mulie Mike has some nice elk well within that budget.

Re: Guided Colorado OTC elk hunt [Re: rifleman] #6640727 01/20/17 04:29 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

I'd donate before I paid to fly it back. I forget the quote I got the one time we were planning to and it was cheaper to go buy a cpl deep freezers.

Cheese and crackers.

I knew a guy that towed a small trailer with a deep freeze and a generator for long hunts out of state. Not a bad idea.

Re: Guided Colorado OTC elk hunt [Re: FeetDown] #6640733 01/20/17 04:31 AM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
If you want to fly back check the airlines for cargo operations. You will still need a good Roto mold cooler thoigg

Re: Guided Colorado OTC elk hunt [Re: FeetDown] #6642100 01/21/17 02:10 AM
F
FeetDown Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
F
Well I sure am glad my guess was over budget up I've been saving up for a long time and this info makes it even more attainable.

My hope is that this trip provides an opportunity to learn the in's and out's to the point where I feel comfortable doing DIY hunts in the future. I've found that a couple of days with a guide can greatly reduce the learning curve in many endeavors (fly fishing especially).

I really like the idea of driving there, but bookending the hunt with 2 days of travel each way (15 hours from Dallas to Grand Mesa) is hard to swing as far as time off work. There's much to be said though about being able to fold down the seats and load everything, including meat, into the back of the truck.

Thoughts on what to ask about when talking with potential outfitters aside from the obvious? I guess what I mean is is there anything a newbie might overlook when making inquiries that we haven't touched on above?

Re: Guided Colorado OTC elk hunt [Re: FeetDown] #6642116 01/21/17 02:20 AM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I would consider a guide to learn if I found one that was not crazy expensive

Re: Guided Colorado OTC elk hunt [Re: FeetDown] #6642686 01/21/17 06:44 PM
S
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Theres a ranch I'm hunting in CO for mule deer that does elk hunts, should be well under your budget, PM me and I'll give you more info.

Re: Guided Colorado OTC elk hunt [Re: FeetDown] #6642715 01/21/17 07:04 PM
R
Red Cloud Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Sneaky has some very good advice and IMO your budget is a bit over what you are going to need. I have guided and hunted for myself all over western CO for elk and mule deer. CO, NM, and WY are all good options. Remember elk are travelers this week they are there and next week they are two or three ridges over. Hunting terrain is mostly up and down, hell west of the Continental Divide it's all vertical. .30-06 will work. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by Red Cloud; 01/21/17 07:07 PM.
Re: Guided Colorado OTC elk hunt [Re: FeetDown] #6648888 01/25/17 11:51 PM
G
ggwill Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
You have recieved some great advice, the only thing I would change would be the time of year you would like to hunt. I have hunted from early Sept. black powder to the last rifle season. I prefer the early September season just because its not as hard on me, and the Aspen trees are very pretty to see at that time. You are doing the right thing by asking questions. Try to find someone that has gone before and team up with them . that helps alot. good luck !

Re: Guided Colorado OTC elk hunt [Re: FeetDown] #6649141 01/26/17 02:24 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Have you considered a drop camp outfitter? My research revealed a drop camp outfit is significantly cheaper and have a higher success rate than DYI hunts. If I go I'll do a drop camp.

Re: Guided Colorado OTC elk hunt [Re: FeetDown] #6649530 01/26/17 02:40 PM
B
budward Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
You don't need a guide. Just pick an area and go. Expect not to get an elk your first few years while you learn. It's the way it's done. I shoot an elk almost every year in Colorado off of over counter tags on public land.

NEVER used a guide, NEVER will. I've gone many years without getting (or seeing) jack squat, i'd rather not get one than pay someone to do it for me. The learning process is part of the fun.

Last edited by budward; 01/26/17 02:44 PM.
Re: Guided Colorado OTC elk hunt [Re: FeetDown] #6649653 01/26/17 04:06 PM
M
Mako My Day Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
We just did a successful NM cow elk hunt for my son. I did the research and bought him a youth encouragement tag in a unit where the success rate was very high. We had never elk hunted before, and I knew we wouldn't have time to get out and scout before the hunt (it started the day after Christmas). I hired a guide through a licensed outfitter, and it was money well spent. We both learned a lot, and my son filled his tag, so we will have a freezer full of meat this year. I would be able to do this hunt on my own in the future, but the first time, without a knowledgeable hunting partner, and our chances would not have been good. It would be well worth the money spent to gain the experience and increase your odds of tagging out.

I did the same thing when we first moved down to the Keys, hired a guide to go out on my boat with me and teach me the waters and different fishing techniques for the area waters.

Re: Guided Colorado OTC elk hunt [Re: txtrophy85] #6649660 01/26/17 04:11 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

You can buy them for a lot less then that also.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Guided Colorado OTC elk hunt [Re: FeetDown] #6649695 01/26/17 04:43 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Good advice up there.^^^^^^^^

Honestly, with that kind of budget I would look very hard at the guided/tag included options in other areas/states as mentioned above. 8-10 grand will get you some great hunts. Much better than a CO OTC hunt all things considered.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide