Page 1 of 2 1 2
Like and dislike about hunting shows #6441779 09/07/16 02:06 PM
A
Aggieman775 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
We are starting to film our hunts hoping to turn them into a show one day. With all of these hunting shows on tv what are things you like and don't like about them? Any feedback is appreciated.

TSmith
Re: Like and dislike about hunting shows [Re: Aggieman775] #6441783 09/07/16 02:10 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Like and dislike about hunting shows [Re: Aggieman775] #6441818 09/07/16 02:27 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
To many poorly done shows about just a kill shot on an animal. By poorly I mean a guy with a camera filming kill shots to make a TV show. To much hooping, hollering, rednecking and all the other carp that goes with those shows. Guys with egos promoting themselves as experts or prohunters and the places they hunt just for the paycheck. They all look the same. The same in that they have a kill shot and ton of infomercials. I have been around TV show hunts and know what all is done to promote their sponsors. Pretty sad to see.
Look at shows like Heartland Bowhunter or The Hunt or Live 2 Hunt or Closing the Distance. These are shows about hunting and all the prep needed for their success or why they failed. Any show that shows more "how to" or work that goes into the hunt than killing of animals. The Crush and Whitetail Freaks are good shows that do quite a bit of how to's or why segements but a lot other fill material gets old on their shows. I do not watch a lot of shows but have them on in the background. I prefer shows about Texas hunting or Mule Deer hunting when I do watch. Look at shows that have been on for a long time and you will see a reason why they are successful.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Like and dislike about hunting shows [Re: Aggieman775] #6441841 09/07/16 02:46 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Don't get the channels for hunting shows anymore, but when I did, I always turned off any show that had the main guy or client talking constantly to the camera live. Shut up and hunt, instead of trying to get your 15 minutes of fame. Worst was when they whispered (usually in a tree stand with a bow). Narration, well done, is much better.

My favorite of all time was a Tracks Across Africa episode. All the client wanted to do was talk to the camera, fancy double rifle, leather safari hat, the whole nine yards. Hunting elephant. A young bull approaches them and, for whatever reason, the PH throws his ash bag at him. Bull decides he's coming. Cameraman catches client doing a 90 degree turn to the left and exiting the stage as quickly as possible, leaving the PH to shoot and put the bull down. Sad that he had to do it, but hilarious the way the big white hunter wannabe left a vapor trail getting out of there. I watched it over and over on the DVR. rofl

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Like and dislike about hunting shows [Re: Aggieman775] #6441886 09/07/16 03:12 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
"Worst was when they whispered (usually in a tree stand with a bow). Narration, well done, is much better."

But what I truly hate is a bloody faced animal with his tongue hanging out as everyone posses for photos. Clean up his face and make the trophy look like a trophy not something that was just hit in the face by a truck. We all know that you did not just stumble on the animal while trailing him. You found him and then reenacted finding him. Show some respect and clean him up.

I hate it when they have a dead animal on the ground and still whisper. I'm not saying scream, just talk in a normal tone of voice so that we can hear what you are saying about the hunt. The absolute worse thing I see that makes me sick is the statement, "we are going to back out of here and come back in the morning." What a waste of an animal. That is killing just for the sake of the show and not hunting. I hunt in Texas and there is no way I could let an animal lay overnight and it would still be good in the morning. Most likely, coyotes, bobcats, or hogs would have gotten to it in the night.

Hopefully show me what you did to make the hunt successful, Not just showing up and climbing into a stand. Why did you pick that spot. Did you have to cut a shooting land, plant a food plot, etc....or if all that was done for you, say so. Say Billy Bod did a lot of preparation for us before we arrived. He chose this spot because of the prevailing wind and planted a food plot next to a water source.

Good luck with your show....I hope it becomes a great success for you.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Like and dislike about hunting shows [Re: Aggieman775] #6441930 09/07/16 03:42 PM
T
Tex68w Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
For myself half of the fun is the preparation and planning leading up to the hunt. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing more of that, you know, what is required to put on and plan a hunt. Some might find watching that boring but when you can showcase the reality of what all is entailed I'd personally feel like it were more realistic. Start from the very beginning of when you are brain storming which particular animal you'll go after and the possible places and outfitters you might be considering. Follow that with gear selection and subsequent purchases then all the way down to packing and travel. I know some do this already, but very few do.

The worst part of the current hunting shows is the over the top sponsorship and product placement. I understand those are the people footing the bill and thats how they recoup their expense, but I do believe it could be done more tastefully and without feeling like its being shoved down your throat non-stop for half an hour. Personally, I watch very little of the hunting shows and channels, there has to be literally nothing else on TV worth my time in order for me to even check that programming. Also, get rid of the hillbilly, white trash, red neck clowns that so many of these shows use as hosts and stars. I get it, theres probably a large part of the viewership that these fools appeal to but it makes it really hard for a guy like myself to tune in and relate to these idiots and then sit back and act like they represent myself and those like me that hunt when we don't live in a trailer down by the river with inbred step children and two different babies mommas.

Re: Like and dislike about hunting shows [Re: Aggieman775] #6441954 09/07/16 03:53 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
The worst part of a hunting show is the talking to the audience. Especially whispering. I also don't like the constant advertisement. The celebrating and man hugging also gets on my nerves. I've been hunting 40 years and never jumped up and down hugging another man for any reason. I like the hunting shows that show dogs working or people actually out hunting game. You can't make sitting in a deer blind interesting unless there's a large chested woman in the blind not talking or whispering.

Re: Like and dislike about hunting shows [Re: Aggieman775] #6442039 09/07/16 04:57 PM
R
rex47 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
hate the music over lay, so loud i can't hear the hunter

when the going gets really tough, I sit down and rest
Re: Like and dislike about hunting shows [Re: Aggieman775] #6442169 09/07/16 06:07 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
My honest advice is there are already way too many whitetail hunts and shows on TV already - and the last thing we need is more.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Like and dislike about hunting shows [Re: Aggieman775] #6442184 09/07/16 06:18 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I don't like the narrative scenes like what I saw in one last week(forgot the name). It cut out from the hunt, to the studio and showed the host talking about his hunt and giving reasons, this or that or telling what he was feeling. I wished I could see more of the hunt,instead of video of him sitting indoors talking to the camera. Let me make up my own mind on what it appears from the video how the hunters felt. I should be able to tell from that, not hear their words about it. I did not care for the cut-away from the hunt, to the studio.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Like and dislike about hunting shows [Re: Aggieman775] #6442228 09/07/16 06:44 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I dislike that they are on tv. Not every aspect of life has to be on film. The best moments are better remembered without some digital contraption in between you and the action. Grooming the show to tailor your audience won't change that.

Re: Like and dislike about hunting shows [Re: Aggieman775] #6442367 09/07/16 08:00 PM
S
Stompy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I don't watch any of them anymore, can't stand to. They all suck.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Like and dislike about hunting shows [Re: Aggieman775] #6442450 09/07/16 08:44 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
My biggest gripe is the guys who shoot young deer just to make a show.

Second is Bill Busbice, WGI and their egocentric show.

Third is "nice bow buck."

Fourth is "nice, mature 3 year old."

Fifth is anything Michael Waddell mammajamma, T-Boner and the rest of that clan. Goofy arse rednecks.

Sixth is all the shows with "country" music singers, MMA fighters and retired baseball players and their entourage of DBs.

Sixth is the yankee DB on Swarovski Optik's show.

I'm sure there are a bunch more dislikes, but that's a start.

I like Jim Shockey's show because of the places he visits and the historical/cultural aspects of those destinations.

There are several other very good hunting shows my wife and I enjoy.

Re: Like and dislike about hunting shows [Re: Aggieman775] #6442606 09/07/16 10:03 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
One of my biggest dislikes is the over stretched size/age stated by the hunters on many shows. This ain't a fishin show so you do not have to exaggerate the size. In fact, all these are produced shows and the know exactly the score of the animals by the time they edit/produce and put on TV. Just be real!

Re: Like and dislike about hunting shows [Re: Aggieman775] #6442682 09/07/16 10:50 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
In todays world if you want to do a tv show you better be good. The run of the mill, Bubba whack and stack is a dime a dozen. The only shows that last for more than a few seasons are the quality ones - Shockey, etc. BUT, they cost a lot of money to do right.

Unfortunately, you may be late to the party. Same as deer breeding. 10-15 years ago it was a lucrative business. Today?? Too many people doing the same thing.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Like and dislike about hunting shows [Re: Aggieman775] #6443120 09/08/16 03:20 AM
L
longgunner Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L

I can't stand:

1) laying a weapon on a dead deer where it can slide over and shoot you in the face....
2) anything that the duck dynasty crew does for their hunting show. It is all about them playing grabass, and very little respect to the animals
3) Too many sponsorships. "notice me stalk this deer with giant mirror thing I set up and squat behind"
4) hunting high fenced ranches and pretending they are not
5) Tackling each other around loaded fire arms

Perhaps you can do a show where you hunt public land or private "non commercial" land that folks donate for a hunt. This is much more relatable to most of the audience. Shoot a buck like most viewers have a chance to shoot. Focus on the prep: food plots, wind direction, scent control, etc....

Re: Like and dislike about hunting shows [Re: Aggieman775] #6443142 09/08/16 03:39 AM
C
cblackall Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
If you plan on wearing jeans on your show, please buy them in the men's department. Trust me, your billfold won't fall out of your back pocket just because you don't have a bedazzled button flap. Also, it's face paint, not CoverGirl. I wonder how long some of these dudes spend in front of the mirror just getting their makeup right. Everything you see doesn't have to be a freak nasty swamp donkey with stank drizzle G2's, it can be just a "nice whitetail ". Generally, just don't be a complete DB. Just go hunt, and make it as real and genuine as possible.

Re: Like and dislike about hunting shows [Re: Aggieman775] #6443230 09/08/16 10:22 AM
B
Brasso Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Hmm...

Re: Like and dislike about hunting shows [Re: Aggieman775] #6443341 09/08/16 01:04 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Let me add one more item. As cblackall stated about face paint. I have often wondered why they cover their face in paint to sit in the back of a dark blind when a simple bandana would cover them.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Like and dislike about hunting shows [Re: Aggieman775] #6443349 09/08/16 01:09 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Well, I do like the whispering and explaining to the audience what is going on at the time, but if you can't make the whispering loud enough with mic gain, DON'T DO IT. Either you have the proper audio gear or you don't.

-----------------

The constant endorsements are a real drag. It is like listening to a NASCAR driver after he wins the race try to tell the viewers about the race, but 60% of the words out of his mouth are product endorsements. It is one thing to tell me about the gear once in some detail. I would like to know. It is another thing to use the full, all inclusive description every time you bring it up and to bring it up multiple times.

And NO, putting out your miracle product on a feeder or locality where you have constant game activity is not what brought in that big buck or hog. They were coming anyway and your product just happened to be on the ground and didn't scare them away. Stop acting like the kill would not have happened without it.

-----------------

What really bothers me are the staged camera shots. I think most shows do this. They get one live version of the actual shooter, and then they show 1-3 more versions of "the shot" being taken from different angles, often from somewhere down range looking back at the shooter. In the original, the shooter shoots and there is some muzzle rise (not much) and he stays on target for a while. In the alternative views, one has much more muzzle rise and in the second, you see the hunter pull the rifle in (like he is done), and NOT staying on target. Sometimes you can tell there is a light difference, where they are doing the shot recreation sometime after the original shot was taken.

I noticed that hog dog shows often have a camera ahead of the action in order to show the dogs catching the hogs or the doggers coming in and tackling the hogs to tie them. What I don't understand (actually I do) is how the cameraman was able to be AHEAD of the action, running faster than the hog and be able to successfully anticipate exactly where the hog will be caught BEFORE the hog dogs or doggers ever get there. That is just amazing work. Sometimes, they have two Usain Bolt cameramen who are able to run ahead of the action and catch the same action from two different angles, although I don't understand how it is that in the first view, the black dog seemed to get there a few strides ahead of the spotted dog and in the other view, the spotted dog got there first.

DON'T FAKE YOUR ACTION.

-----------------

How many times have you seen hunters make a kill in the evening, not find the hog/deer/etc. and then find it 10-12 hours later the next day and talk about what good eating it will be?...but you can see it is hot. They are sweating. You know the meat is going to be rancid.

I don't know if they do this because they don't have proper lighting to film at night the finding and recovery of the animal or what.

----------------

It is really annoying to hear the hunter talking about how good he is and making the thumb and pinky shaka sign like he is some sort of surfer about to be getting a gnarly tube.

----------------

I don't care if your wife/daughter/son/MIL is sick and in the hospital or anything else about your personal life. If you show up in a cast, explaining that you broke you arm is fine because the broken arm will undoubtedly influence the hunt, but all that other emotional and sympathy baggage I can get from my own family, LOL. I want to see a show about hunting.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Like and dislike about hunting shows [Re: Aggieman775] #6443367 09/08/16 01:28 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
When I do watch one of the shows, it's because I read in the guide that they are hunting an animal or a place that I find interesting. Whitetail and Turkey are the two I avoid the most. I watch to see the animals and the scenery. Once the person on the show starts talking, I change the channel.

Once they show everyone sitting around in the living room, or eating, or practicing with their bows, i lose interest. Can't stand seeing them driving around in their trucks, or telling me about a product that they are paid to use.

Animals and Scenery. Do that, be quiet and keep it honest and I'll watch.

Re: Like and dislike about hunting shows [Re: Aggieman775] #6443411 09/08/16 02:10 PM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Man you guys got most of them.. I don't like when the host can't talk with decent grammar. Old south is ok but lately it's gotten way out there.. You can't even understand what they are saying.
I don't like when they whisper obvious things...like the whole play by play when we just saw it all happen.
I don't like watching a poor shot choice and poor shot placement and they look at the camera and say they smoked em.

To end on a positive note I rather enjoy Meateater with Steven Reinella. He's a honest gentleman. He hunts hard and ethically. He gets really creative with preparation of the kill. He truly represents hunting as it should be done. Puts just as much effort into care of the meat as the hunt for it and educates as he goes. This is the only show I actually have learned something from. I highly recommend checking it out if you've never seen it.
I don't like or understand when he hunts with Joe Rogan though cause Joe is the opposite of what Steve represents.

Re: Like and dislike about hunting shows [Re: stxranchman] #6443414 09/08/16 02:13 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
To many poorly done shows about just a kill shot on an animal. By poorly I mean a guy with a camera filming kill shots to make a TV show. To much hooping, hollering, rednecking and all the other carp that goes with those shows. Guys with egos promoting themselves as experts or prohunters and the places they hunt just for the paycheck. They all look the same. The same in that they have a kill shot and ton of infomercials. I have been around TV show hunts and know what all is done to promote their sponsors. Pretty sad to see.
Look at shows like Heartland Bowhunter or The Hunt or Live 2 Hunt or Closing the Distance. These are shows about hunting and all the prep needed for their success or why they failed. Any show that shows more "how to" or work that goes into the hunt than killing of animals. The Crush and Whitetail Freaks are good shows that do quite a bit of how to's or why segements but a lot other fill material gets old on their shows. I do not watch a lot of shows but have them on in the background. I prefer shows about Texas hunting or Mule Deer hunting when I do watch. Look at shows that have been on for a long time and you will see a reason why they are successful.

Heartland Bowhunter is my favorite right now, the content and camera work are just awesome. I also like Major League Bowhunter and the bucks that Dean Partridge kills on Canadian Whitetail TV are just ridiculous. Those are the only 3 that I watch.

Last edited by jshouse; 09/08/16 02:16 PM.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Like and dislike about hunting shows [Re: Aggieman775] #6443426 09/08/16 02:27 PM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Dude how could I forget Heartland.. Yes I'm with you. They really capture it with quality camera work. They are really hardcore hunters as well.

Re: Like and dislike about hunting shows [Re: Aggieman775] #6443517 09/08/16 03:20 PM
C
chalet Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I'd just about rather watch Oprah Winfrey than a hunting show.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide