Print Thread
Elk hunt gear list? #6220203 03/12/16 02:29 AM
H
hookemhorns Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
H
What all is in your gear list including camo, packs etc for an elk hunt. Im going to Wyoming in late September and already having to think about things I need/want to buy. I look forward to hearing all the thoughts

God is deep but he is not complicated.
Re: Elk hunt gear list? [Re: hookemhorns] #6220242 03/12/16 02:54 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Here's my list:

Elk Hunting List

Pack:
Binos and harness
Lens cloth
Water bladder
5 game bags
Knives
Sharpener
GPS
Maps
Compass
Pen
Zip ties
Parachute cord
Black tape
Flashlight
Headlamp
Batteries
Leatherman
Ammo
Painkillers
Benadryl
Camera
Food
Mole skin
Survival kit:
Waterproof matches
Lighter(2)
Space blanket(2)
Needle
Thread
Super glue(gel and liquid)
Iodine
Quick Clot
Athletic tape
Gauze
Bandages
Water purifier straw

Truck/Camp
Sleeping bag
Pillow
150 quart cooler
65 quart cooler
Ice
Food
Bottled water
Jugs of water
Cooking grate
Camp stove
Pans
Utensils
Paper plates
Trash bags
Spices
Cooking oil
Rifle
Ammo
Cleaning kit
Remoil
Batteries
TP
Paper towels
Wipes
Rags
Ax
Hatchet
Shovel
Camp chair

Clothes:
Boots(2-3 pair)
Pants
Shirts
Socks
Underwear
Thermals
Light jacket(waterproof)
Heavy jacket
Orange vest
Orange cap
Balaclava
Gaiters

Re: Elk hunt gear list? [Re: hookemhorns] #6220251 03/12/16 03:01 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
^^^^. Be sure to include a uhaul.

Re: Elk hunt gear list? [Re: hookemhorns] #6220335 03/12/16 04:17 AM
L
LDBrown Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
I think Sneaky has a pretty good list put together there, it does seem like a lot of gear to haul rifleman but depending on the area and type of hunt all these things could be a good idea, I do trim some of these out for the weight factor, knife sharpener being one of them, I have a pair of identical knives, I know I can get through an elk with 1 really sharp knife because I have quartered many elk with them, I take both and always have a good edge without carrying sharpener. I also remove the water bladder from my pack and just carry a water bottle with water purifier straw in it. Multi-tools like a Leatherman are too heavy for the amount I use them on day or overnight hunts so that gets trimmed too. I don't have any known allergies so Benadryl is not in my pack, you will want to customize this list to fit your situation just as I would.

Many of the items can vary greatly in weight so finding light weight alternatives can save a lot of weight, binos, game bags, flashlights, camera, food are some of the things that fall in this category. No matter what it is you are considering putting in your pack be sure it is needed and don't overkill on anything, zip ties are handy but you don't need a 20 pack of 2XL industrial strength ties and so on.

A couple things I add to my list of camp/truck supplies are toothbrush & paste, dish detergent, scent free soap/shampoo, skillet, a couple pots & pans, coffee percolator, chainsaw & fuel/oil. I also like a tent & cot if not taking my camp trailer.

So there are my initial thoughts but give us some more info here, will you be hunting from a base camp, horsebacking in to a camp, backpack/bivy hunting, or a combination of?

www.clarkforkoutfitters.com WE SUPPORT THE NRA, RMEF & F4WM.
Re: Elk hunt gear list? [Re: rifleman] #6220392 03/12/16 05:17 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: rifleman
^^^^. Be sure to include a uhaul.

A Toyota does just fine if you're into quality automobiles. You just listen to LDBrown. He's got it figured out.

And, like I've said before, that is an all inclusive list. Not all of those items are necessary. I only bring about 99% of that stuff, depending on the circumstances, and only about 90% makes into my pack.

Re: Elk hunt gear list? [Re: hookemhorns] #6220393 03/12/16 05:19 AM
C
Cajun Raider Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Silly as it may sound, hot chocolate for chilly days and nights. Lasts longer than coffee. Based on experience of eight elk hunts.

Don't talk the talk if you didn't walk the walk.
Re: Elk hunt gear list? [Re: hookemhorns] #6220492 03/12/16 12:46 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I'd 1st say, what style of hunt are you going on? As LDBrown said, much will depend on if you are going DIY, guided, out of a lodge, horseback, walk in camping?? Then, not counting basics needed for high country hunting, how comfortable do you need to be?

Anything outside of what you actually take in your pack, will be for comfort IMO, the style of hunt will dictate what you may need. As far as pack needs, I started 30-35 years ago packed similar to Sneaky's list, everything but the walk-in cooler grin Took less than 2 years and my pack was down to only the necessities to complete the "mission".

The pack load in many ways will also be dictated by the style of hunt. I have bud's that now use outfitters 99% of the time, they show up with rifle, ammo and clothing and a few incidentals like a knife or 2 and coolers, that is about it, but that is the furthest extreme from DIY.

Sneaky's list, is comfortable for him, his load to carry, so it works. Great list to give you an idea of things to think about and weigh against what you need for YOUR comfort level. There are a few things I think all big game hunters will have that are necessity when high country hunting, like field equipment to manage your animal after it is down. That can be basic if using and outfitter/guide, or could be extra if alone like I hunt most of the time.

What I think is needed just based on a lot of elk hunting, comfort.

Comfort is extremely important IMO, I have slept anywhere from bed of a truck, to a friends 2 million dollar log home, if you don't get the rest you need to hunt efficiently, even a 10# pack can be a burden. IMO the camp sets the tone for the hunt (I usually hunt all day, light to dark. I do find my self wimping out more now though). I will nap on the hunt if I want, so will usually stay in the field. I will usually take more than I need for base camp, for eons it was usually a good tent and more crap than I ever used, but I had it if I needed it. Sleeping gear has always been a key element for me, if it was an air mattress (when the wife came along), or several sleeping bags on the ground, cot, whatever worked.

I joke with Sneaky about his list, mostly his pack list, but in all reality, it is what he feels is comfortable and that is the main thing. A 10 mile hike with an 80# pack, will often make a fella re-access his "comfort" level grin

Rambling because I got up too early and bored, but a good idea to try. Pack a high country load of what you think you may hike with, then go on a stroll with that pack where you live. At the altitude you are, you will know real quick if you want to re-evaluate it. Add the high altitude and temps on an elk hunt and that load can feel greater.

I now have/use a camper, which for me is comfortable with my physical condition, but my pack load has remained the same for over 25 years. Will post it later today.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide