Print Thread
Scents and Lures for hunting #5671646 03/27/15 07:22 AM
T
Taylorpp Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
When it comes to successful trophy whitetail deer hunting, there are a lot of techniques and strategies you can use to increase your chances of bringing home that buck you've had your eye on. One of the best techniques involves the use of scents and lures. When it comes to hunting, experts recommend that hunters use scents and lures because, on average, deer’s sense of smell is more than 1,000 times that of a human. When hunting it is important for a hunter to control their own scent so that they can attract a deer using the correct lure.

In hunting, there are different types of scents that you can use in order to have a successful hunt. The goal of using scents and lures is to attract a deer to a certain spot and to hold them long enough so that you have time to take the shot. Scents and lures are primarily used in situations where the hunter can remain stationed rather than on the move such as with tree stand hunting and ground blinds.

Regardless of which type of scent or lure you’re using the goal is to peak the curiosity of the animal. Various types of deer scents and lures are focused on imitating food, and emitting the sex scent. Typically when it comes to the sex scent, the most common smell is similar to the scent of urine produced by does when they are in heat. The sex scent is a great way to attract big bucks that you can shoot down. However keep in mind that with sex scents timing is crucial. You do not want to use the sex scent when does are not actually in estrus because you could scare them off. Estrus is a recurring state in which the female of most mammals will accept male and is capable of conceiving.

When it comes to scents that imitate food the scents are available in concentrated and solid liquid forms. Food scents often imitate the aroma of deer’s most beloved foods. These scents often smell like apples, acorns and berries. When using food scents it is important to place the scents in a reasonable geographic location. You want to ensure that the scents seem natural. In other words only place apple scents where apples are actually grown, same thing for the scent of acorns.

Last edited by Taylorpp; 03/27/15 07:22 AM.

Whitetail Hunts, Exotic Hunts, Mule Deer Semen, Deer Hunting In Texas - http://bucktrader.com/
Re: Scents and Lures for hunting [Re: Taylorpp] #5671682 03/27/15 11:00 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Citation?

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Scents and Lures for hunting [Re: Taylorpp] #5671740 03/27/15 11:42 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Wow, who would have thought that the scent from food would attract deer. Lucky we can hunt feeders or food plots. The scent of those deer at food sources also attract other deer in the rut. Sort of a win win for us without having to waste extra money on the next gimmick scent or attractant.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Scents and Lures for hunting [Re: Taylorpp] #5671775 03/27/15 12:07 PM
J
JRJ6 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Yeah, I have tried many kinds of scents and they don't work.
The best attractant (as stxranchman previously stated) is food. Nothing beats it.
I thought this was an ad when I starting reading it

Re: Scents and Lures for hunting [Re: Taylorpp] #5671810 03/27/15 12:31 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Scents and Lures for hunting [Re: Taylorpp] #5676331 03/30/15 06:54 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
cheers Got some of that thar, bang sorry mods, dont want ya get people complainig boit my bad english. Any ways walmart had on sale some Roasted Corn Freeks , gal. jug & poured some out as it said. Also mixed some with corn, 4deer county, can make big dent in deer population, so working with neighbors, complaining about hog problems, the other wild game, figured if deer like it as claimed, hogs would too. So far it dosn't work as claimed. confused2 Maybe cause me bad english, got held back. i got cheap posts. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Scents and Lures for hunting [Re: Taylorpp] #5676493 03/30/15 08:24 PM
T
Treinta-Treinta Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
The best thing you can do is get along their travel path and use a compound that kills their sense of smell becoming olfactis invisible. "Nose Jammer" works pretty good but is still not as potent and complete as the military secret compound for Escape & Evasion use, which is readily available, but still classified top secret. This chemical compund is scrubbed constantly from the world wide web by "whitehat" because it would render working dogs ineffective. If you put the latter in a scrape, they will literally repeatedly run a scrape line from memory all day and night until they get their nose back. This substance works well in the rut because they make stupid mistakes without their nose.

Only thing more unfair-chase than above, is a corn feeder. roflmao

Last edited by Treinta-Treinta; 03/30/15 08:34 PM.
Re: Scents and Lures for hunting [Re: Treinta-Treinta] #5676917 03/31/15 01:13 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Treinta-Treinta
The best thing you can do is get along their travel path and use a compound that kills their sense of smell becoming olfactis invisible. "Nose Jammer" works pretty good but is still not as potent and complete as the military secret compound for Escape & Evasion use, which is readily available, but still classified top secret. This chemical compund is scrubbed constantly from the world wide web by "whitehat" because it would render working dogs ineffective. If you put the latter in a scrape, they will literally repeatedly run a scrape line from memory all day and night until they get their nose back. This substance works well in the rut because they make stupid mistakes without their nose.

Only thing more unfair-chase than above, is taking one with a rifle at over 100yrds roflmao

Fixed it for ya. i've taken deer with bow, no fancy gimics other than pudding cloths in trash bag with pine needles & ceder bark. Didn't even have feeder. & i fart alot. Edit: oh, stand only 11ft high ta feet. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Scents and Lures for hunting [Re: Taylorpp] #5676940 03/31/15 01:25 AM
T
Treinta-Treinta Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Too funny man, illustrates the different levels of fair chase for sure. I use a rifle, but its usually within 20 yards.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide