Print Thread
Thought from the fence line thread #5505216 12/29/14 02:26 AM
D
Dustnsand Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Was looking at the fenceline thread and got to thinking.

For those against the picture. How far away from a fenceline do you think someone should stay to place a feeder or stand?

Re: Thought from the fence line thread [Re: Dustnsand] #5505228 12/29/14 02:30 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Dustin for me, if feeder is on your property and shot is made/terminates on your property, that's all I care about. If a deer is wounded, I'm willing to let me neighbor find said deer just as I would want the same of them in the event I wounded a deer. Being neighborly in my mind.

Re: Thought from the fence line thread [Re: Dustnsand] #5505242 12/29/14 02:36 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
There are a lot of variables in this answer for me. Terrain, thickness of cover, lack of cover, roads for access, direction of stand from feeder, height of the blind, size/shape of the property, etc to give an exact distance. I think it should have the blind and feeder paralleling the fencelines though. Never with a blind shooting towards a feeder so the bullet would carry across a fence. My place now the closest I have a blind to a fence is about 300 yards. I think my neighbor has one about 200 yards off of my fence but really can't see it very well. We are both hunting the same deer most of the time.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Thought from the fence line thread [Re: Dustnsand] #5505261 12/29/14 02:42 AM
D
Dustnsand Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I totally agree that a setup pointing towards someone's land is bad. For safety if nothing else.

I had never really thought about it but looking back over the years, I've had a stand or two that some people would call fenceline hunting. Unless you own a ton of land and want to throw out a large portion of it, it's hard to stay a long ways off the property lines. And wouldnt a feeder 10yds off the fenceline draw just as many deer from the neighboring property as one several hundred yards away?

I'm not advocating one way or the other. Just interested in seeing what others thoughts are on an acceptable distance.

Re: Thought from the fence line thread [Re: Dustnsand] #5505265 12/29/14 02:44 AM
G
Gemlin Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
G
I've always preferred a feeder be at least 100 yards away from a fence line. I don't necessarily mind a blind being near a fence. Example, a blind near a fence line, but the feeder is 100 yards or more into the property owners land. I've seen in some cases where the hunter would even put up shades so they couldn't see into the other landowners property. It was very clear he was concentrating on his land and his feeder.

To me if there is no possible way for the bullet to go across the property line, then the setup is safe.

But in the end its the owners land and he can set up anyway he wants to. These discussions are trivial as there is nothing we can do. Only the landowners can solve the issues like the previous thread.

Re: Thought from the fence line thread [Re: Dustnsand] #5505301 12/29/14 02:58 AM
C
cos Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
C
I have 10 hunting clubs I manage on 12000 acres and in my ByLaws I ask that no stand be closer than 200ft from any boundary line and must put feeder towards interior.

Re: Thought from the fence line thread [Re: Dustnsand] #5505362 12/29/14 03:27 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
It's a case by case thing. I have only one private neighbor. He leases to a couple of yahoos. They put up a blind on the fence in view of one of my feeders. Because I know how they are I suspect them of hunting my feeder. So I don't like it even though there's nothing I can do about it. OTOH, if I knew they were good people I would actually prefer that location as opposed to one more inside their property facing mine.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Thought from the fence line thread [Re: DQ Kid] #5505371 12/29/14 03:30 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
Dustin for me, if feeder is on your property and shot is made/terminates on your property, that's all I care about. If a deer is wounded, I'm willing to let me neighbor find said deer just as I would want the same of them in the event I wounded a deer. Being neighborly in my mind.

And likewise, without an agreement, it would only be ethical to hunt far enough from a fence line so that it would very unlikely for a deer that has been shot to end up on your neighbor's property.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Thought from the fence line thread [Re: Dustnsand] #5505376 12/29/14 03:33 AM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
If this is in reference to the corn bag on the fence setup. I think that one is wrong since there is almost no way a round fired from the blind in the picture will not knowingly cross the OP's fenceline.
in general though I agree that parallel or interior lines of fire are the perogative of the landowner. I have one bow stand that is close to a fence, I can't even see the fence from the stand it is so thick but it is close to the fence with parallel and interior shots. How far can an arrow go??

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: Thought from the fence line thread [Re: Dustnsand] #5505377 12/29/14 03:34 AM
D
dlrz71 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Setup is everything IMO.

I have one setup where the only location for a stand is on the fence line. I setup a blind about 20 yards off the fence line and I cut a shooting lane about 100 yards to the feeder away from blind and fence. My blind also has a door with no window on the back facing towards the fence.

Re: Thought from the fence line thread [Re: DQ Kid] #5505461 12/29/14 04:04 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

That's how I feel about it. I never even thought about it until I saw it mentioned on here.

Re: Thought from the fence line thread [Re: Texas Dan] #5505589 12/29/14 05:41 AM
W
wisco-hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

And likewise, without an agreement, it would only be ethical to hunt far enough from a fence line so that it would very unlikely for a deer that has been shot to end up on your neighbor's property.

x2

I like this but if you're looking for an exact number probably about 150 yards, as most deer die within that distance and couldn't make it to another persons land, and if by chance the deer is gut shot it could go for miles so there's nothing you can do about that no matter where your stand is. I guess i'm skewed one way because I have a fence line hunter on the place I hunt that shoots deer that continuously run onto our land. It's almost the exact same set up that you see in the other thread. I'm guessing that most people that think it's unethical to hunt a fence line have had this happen to them. I know I never thought of it until I encountered this clown.

Why is it that every time I push #1 for english, I cannot understand the person on the other end???
Re: Thought from the fence line thread [Re: wisco-hunter] #5505757 12/29/14 01:42 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: wisco-hunter
I guess i'm skewed one way because I have a fence line hunter on the place I hunt that shoots deer that continuously run onto our land.

A slob hunter for sure who probably feels that so long as something eventually dies on his side of the fence, whatever runs and dies on your place is just the cost of the hunt. Of course assuming he doesn't trespass when he feels worthy of getting away with it.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Thought from the fence line thread [Re: Texas Dan] #5505784 12/29/14 02:04 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
our lease keeps any of our stands 300 yards off fenceline and at least 800 yards between each stand

You can't fix stupid
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide