Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,773
Posts9,728,992
Members87,039
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Hunting on private property. Any help would be greatly appreciated! #5458546 12/05/14 02:15 AM
A
asmith Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
A
Hi everyone,

Brand new to the forum and if this is a stupid question, I'm really sorry. I just want to make sure I ask experienced people before acting on anything.

In short,

I recieved verbal permission to hunt on private land. I have the owners phone number and other contact info. He also has mine.

I'm licensed to hunt, have the safety cert etc. So I'm good there.

What else do I need? I'm just nervous about encountering a Game Warden and being taken to jail even if I have been given permission to be there.

Like I said, sorry if this is a noobie question. I just want to do things right.

Thanks in advance.

-Aaron

Re: Hunting on private property. Any help would be greatly appreciated! [Re: asmith] #5458553 12/05/14 02:18 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
You're good, but it's best practice to keep written permission in your truck etc

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Hunting on private property. Any help would be greatly appreciated! [Re: asmith] #5458571 12/05/14 02:25 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
The warden has no reason to take you to jail if you are abiding by the law unless there is some sort of complaint from the landowner or that you do something else wrong that would warrant going to jail (versus just being cited). I think you are pretty safe.

Written permission would be a real benefit to have with you, especially to quell your fears.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hunting on private property. Any help would be greatly appreciated! [Re: asmith] #5458605 12/05/14 02:43 AM
T
Texasrebel649 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
You should have no problems. Like mentioned above might be a good idea to get written permission an keep it with you, but you should be fine with having the LO contact info.
welcome

Life is about the choices YOU make...Good or Bad!
Re: Hunting on private property. Any help would be greatly appreciated! [Re: asmith] #5458782 12/05/14 03:34 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
If the area has not been hunted before, and is located near or adjacent to areas where others hunt, be watchful of those who may be hunting it illegally without the owner's knowledge. If you happen across someone who meets this description, be advised they may even go so far as to try and bluff you off the property by telling you they own it. Just be careful and don't assume you're the only person hunting the place until you become familiar with it and the neighbors, just as you would when moving into a neighborhood.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Hunting on private property. Any help would be greatly appreciated! [Re: asmith] #5458823 12/05/14 03:44 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
You're fine as is. You don't have to prove your NOT trespassing, GW has to have evidence that you are trespassing.

LO contact info is all you need.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Hunting on private property. Any help would be greatly appreciated! [Re: asmith] #5458836 12/05/14 03:47 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
welcome Enjoy the privilege and good luck up

As was mentioned, keep the LO contact with you and if you can get it, written permission never hurts. No reason to fear a GW.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Hunting on private property. Any help would be greatly appreciated! [Re: asmith] #5458873 12/05/14 04:01 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
welcome

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting on private property. Any help would be greatly appreciated! [Re: dogcatcher] #5458984 12/05/14 04:49 AM
A
asmith Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
A
Look at all of these helpful people here.

Thanks so much!

I did see 2 deer stands and a feeder. Makes me a little nervous. No one is supposed to be out there but me.

I will be careful though. You guys are awesome!

Re: Hunting on private property. Any help would be greatly appreciated! [Re: asmith] #5459047 12/05/14 06:20 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: asmith

Thanks so much!

I did see 2 deer stands and a feeder. Makes me a little nervous. No one is supposed to be out there but me.

You saw them on the place you have permission to hunt? If so, call the owner and ask about them. If they aren't supposed to be there, either you or the owner need to call the GW and have them check it out.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Hunting on private property. Any help would be greatly appreciated! [Re: asmith] #5459077 12/05/14 10:50 AM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Blinds and feeders that the owner didn't know were there??

Re: Hunting on private property. Any help would be greatly appreciated! [Re: asmith] #5459118 12/05/14 12:46 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Depends on county whether you need written permission.
Quote:
Sec. 62.012. WRITTEN CONSENT TO HUNT OR TARGET SHOOT REQUIRED. (a) This section applies only to a county having a population of 3.3 million or more. This section does not apply to a person hunting or target shooting on a public or private shooting range.
(b) Except as provided by Subsection (d) of this section, no person possessing a firearm may hunt a wild animal or wild bird, or engage in target shooting on land owned by another unless the person has in his immediate possession the written consent of the owner of the land to hunt or engage in target shooting on the land.
(c) To be valid, the written consent required by Subsection (b) of this section must:
(1) contain the name of the person permitted to hunt or engage in target shooting on the land;
(2) identify the land on which hunting or target shooting is permitted;
(3) be signed by the owner of the land or by an agent, lessee, or legal representative of the owner; and
(4) show the address and phone number of the person signing the consent.
(d) The owner of the land on which hunting or target shooting occurs, the landowner's lessee, agent, or legal representative, and a person hunting or target shooting with the landowner or the landowner's lessee, agent, or legal representative are not required to have in their possession the written consent required by Subsection (b) of this section.
(e) Repealed by Acts 1985, 69th Leg., ch. 267, art. 3, Sec. 110, eff. Sept. 1, 1985.

But only Harris County has a population over 3.3M.

Last edited by TexFlip; 12/05/14 12:52 PM.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Hunting on private property. Any help would be greatly appreciated! [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5459243 12/05/14 02:17 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
You're good, but it's best practice to keep written permission in your truck etc
this...make a cope of permission, tape on the inside window of your truck...

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Hunting on private property. Any help would be greatly appreciated! [Re: txshntr] #5459271 12/05/14 02:30 PM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: asmith

Thanks so much!

You saw them on the place you have permission to hunt? If so, call the owner and ask about them. If they aren't supposed to be there, either you or the owner need to call the GW and have them check it out.

As suggested by txshntr you need to contact the LO and inform him of this. And the sooner the better!!!

Also... Once you have the stand / feeder issue out with the LO, give him a courtesy phone call him each time you’re going out to his ranch to hunt.

[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting on private property. Any help would be greatly appreciated! [Re: Pope&Young] #5459400 12/05/14 03:33 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Pope&Young
Also... Once you have the stand / feeder issue out with the LO, give him a courtesy phone call him each time you’re going out to his ranch to hunt.

Yes, good tip.

As for the stands and feeder you found, make sure it is not "heir land" that is still in the name of someone who is now deceased, and has never been legally divided between the heirs. In such cases, any of the legal heirs could have given someone they know permission to hunt it.

If the person who gave you permission is the only true owner, the stands and feeder have been placed on what is often called "absent owner" land without permission. Depending on how well you know him, it might be worth checking with the county tax office to see if he is the person who has been paying the taxes as the true owner. If he is the true owner, you may have found yourself a nice little honey hole, even if it takes a little work to remove the ones who are there illegally.

Just be careful and prudent.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Hunting on private property. Any help would be greatly appreciated! [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5459445 12/05/14 03:54 PM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

X2

And, it's worth a double-check to make sure the land is not leased or accessible to any other groups for hunting. That could avoid some awkward encounters in the pre-dawn hours.

Re: Hunting on private property. Any help would be greatly appreciated! [Re: asmith] #5459893 12/05/14 08:04 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
welcome ta THF tis very good question. rofl i'd get lawyer flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Hunting on private property. Any help would be greatly appreciated! [Re: asmith] #5459944 12/05/14 08:35 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
GW generally wants written permission, but you we probably be ok.

Re: Hunting on private property. Any help would be greatly appreciated! [Re: asmith] #5465355 12/08/14 08:16 PM
A
asmith Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
A
Again,

Thanks for all of the help.

I found a tripod stand and a blind back there a long with a feeder. I stayed away from them even though I knew they weren't supposed to be there. The owner said no one else should be back there.

It's so perfect back there though. Definitely a honey hole. It's thick woods surrounding a natural swamp. Plenty of shooting lanes, though despite the thicket. Lot's of movement back there. The cam showed nothing but pigs. I'm talking 10 plus in every shot. I got the hog light for the bow and now I'm ready. I'm still just a bit nervous about seeing a GW or another hunter. Plus, I'm a big boy so I may get confused with a big hog if the hunter is ignorant enough.

It's in between two neighborhoods so the police chief (who also told me to go for it) said that wardens have never been back there. Still don't want to get in trouble.

I guess I'd better play it safe and get that written permission!

Thanks so much. This forum is cool!

Re: Hunting on private property. Any help would be greatly appreciated! [Re: asmith] #5465388 12/08/14 08:40 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Believe it or not, the "heir land," comes into play more often than you would think. I leased 640 acres one time for me and my wife and two children to hunt from the woman who lived on the property. She said she was the owner, as did the feed store owner etc when I said where I was hunting. Build stands, put out feeders, etc. On opening morning a group of 4 hunters showed up to go hunting. I confronted them and one of them said that he owned a non-divided 1/6 interest in the land and he and his friends were going to hunt it. As it turned out the lady had inhered 1/2 of the land from her father and her brother the other 1/2. Her brother had passed away and this was one of his 3 children who now owned 1/6 of the land. I called sheriff and game warden, both said there was nothing they could do about removing the guy from his property. I got my money back, but was still out several hundred dollars in corn and building tree strands, etc, plus on opening day I no longer had any place to hunt. I did not find a place that year.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Hunting on private property. Any help would be greatly appreciated! [Re: asmith] #5469803 12/10/14 09:14 PM
S
Swoop5000 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Did the feeder look like it was working? Was the ground around it tromped down? That would be something to ask the land owner about - if there are other hunters on the property currently or if that feeder was left there by previous hunters.
As far as any problems from GW's, I think you would be fine. I agree with others: that you should get written permission from the land owner just so that you can carry it with you.

Re: Hunting on private property. Any help would be greatly appreciated! [Re: asmith] #5470617 12/11/14 05:04 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide