New to hunting in Texas, and to this forum. #1501491 06/28/10 02:53 AM
W
WEK Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
W
Hello all:

I'm from Utah, and just moved to Texas (Dallas area) and am completely new to hunting in Texas.

I've hunted since I was a kid, but growing up in Utah, I am a mountain state hunter. That means spot and stalk, lots of walking, and pursuing mule deer and elk. It also means over the counter-tags and enormous tracks of public land.

It seems that isn't the case here. If folks wouldn't mind giving me a brief run-down of how people find somewhere to hunt in this state, things a newbie to this type of hunting should know (I can count the number of whitetail deer I've seen in person on both hands) and any other advice you might have, I would greatly appreciate it.

For example, the first thing I noticed is that almost everything is privately owned. Is that correct? If so, how does someone new to the area find somewhere to hunt?

I confess myself utterly uninformed and ignorant as to the way of the Texas outdoorsman, and I throw myself at the mercy of the forum. All I know is that the time I've spent in the field with family and friends has been fantastic, and I'd like to continue it as a new Texas resident--particularly with my first son coming into the world about 6 months ago.
Thanks in advance!

Re: New to hunting in Texas, and to this forum. [Re: WEK] #1501531 06/28/10 03:10 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
welcome

You are correct that most land in Texas is privately owned. Off the top of my head I think it is around 95% private. Therefore your public hunting opportunities are few. What most of us do are lease land from the landowner for X amount of dollars per year to hunt there. The are different ways to finding a deer lease. There are websites that you can sign up for that list different leases available. You can also go to small towns and just ask people if you could hunt.

Most hunting done here is also done my hunting out of a stand over a feeder.

Re: New to hunting in Texas, and to this forum. [Re: Dustnsand] #1501549 06/28/10 03:21 AM
W
WEK Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
W
Thanks very much, z71dustin! I appreciate it. Do you have a lease-listing website that you prefer?

How do the leases work? Do you only have access during hunting season, or do you have access with time to scout? I assume you scout using trail cameras down here? Sitting and glassing like I'm used to doesn't seem like it would be very helpful.

Also, what should a lessee expect a typical lessor to provide? Is it merely access, and then everything else is on your own? (I would assume so). Do most lessors limit you to certain areas of the property so as to avoid other lessee hunters?

I'm sure a lot of it is something I will just have to learn with experience. But the more knowledge I have to begin with, the less chance I have of getting taken.

Last edited by WEK; 06/28/10 03:25 AM.
Re: New to hunting in Texas, and to this forum. [Re: WEK] #1501564 06/28/10 03:29 AM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
welcome lots of good info here

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: New to hunting in Texas, and to this forum. [Re: WEK] #1501565 06/28/10 03:29 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Most of the places I have hunted we located my word of mouth or knowing somebody so I havent used a website before.

As for the leases, it all depends on the landowner. Some owners let the leasee have access year round to scout or keep feeders going, but some don't. Also on most leases the owner just allows access to the land. Depending on the size of the land there will be a certain number of hunters. On most places if the owner has lets say 750 acres then he will lease all of the acreage to a group of hunters for a X amount per person. The leasee will provide stands, feeders, and other equipment.

Down here you are correct that most scouting is done using the cameras but also getting out and walking around to see where the deer are traveling is very helpful

Re: New to hunting in Texas, and to this forum. [Re: WEK] #1501592 06/28/10 03:40 AM
8Point Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
welcomeBest I can tell you is get so hunting buds and go from there.Dad always said it's not what you know but who you know.Tall pair of boots because it it gets deep, welcome

Re: New to hunting in Texas, and to this forum. [Re: 8Point] #1501614 06/28/10 03:48 AM
W
WEK Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
W
Ha! Thanks, 8Point. I have a sneaking suspicion I may step in it a few times simply because I have neither whitetail/exotic knowledge nor experience. But that's all part of the deal.

If anyone gets a tag for mule deer or elk in Utah, they should give me a shout. (Along with jumping for joy, as my former home currently holds some of the biggest mule deer, and the biggest elk, in the country).

Re: New to hunting in Texas, and to this forum. [Re: WEK] #1501661 06/28/10 04:20 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
WEK check out some of our outfitters they offer some great hunts at more than reasonable prices. Try some of our group hunts they're a blast, you'll get to meet some of the members and may walk into a lease that way. Just watch out for that guy named DaNinja!

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: New to hunting in Texas, and to this forum. [Re: HWY_MAN] #1501701 06/28/10 05:24 AM
N
notamtchance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
Also, to add to the others posts. You might want to check out the land and lease section on the forum, and keep checking regularly it is always changing.

If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Re: New to hunting in Texas, and to this forum. [Re: notamtchance] #1501720 06/28/10 05:54 AM
N
NDN98 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: notamtchance
Also, to add to the others posts. You might want to check out the land and lease section on the forum, and keep checking regularly it is always changing.

I was going to recommend the same. The land and leases section is helpful and so it the outfitter/guide section.
welcome

Re: New to hunting in Texas, and to this forum. [Re: NDN98] #1501859 06/28/10 12:46 PM
janie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
welcome

He is your friend defender your dog. Be worthy of such devotion

[Linked Image]
Re: New to hunting in Texas, and to this forum. [Re: janie] #1501881 06/28/10 01:03 PM
E
Ed Lingenfelter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Welcome to Texas and the forum. There are public hunting opportunities but they are sometimes crowded and challenging. It is the way I hunt but that is just me. Spot and Stalk will probably not be your choice for deer here. If you can a lease is by far the best way to go for you ablity to pattern the game etc, but expect to spend a couple of thousand dollars and by the way you will need a few friends willing to do the same you will see leases for 4 guns 1500 each or X dollar and acre. The forum will be a great place to get opinions. The first season you my want to try an outfitter to get a lay of the land. You will be traveling some if you here in DFW you are going to have to travel for your hunt. If you just wanting to take a turkey this fall you may try a public hunt. In the DFW area you can travel an hour and be at LBJ National Grasslands for Turkey or Caddo National Grasslands. What every you decide Enjoy hunting in Texas.

Old Soldier
Re: New to hunting in Texas, and to this forum. [Re: Ed Lingenfelter] #1501907 06/28/10 01:20 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Welcome to Texas. If you bow hunt there are a few places that are public land draw hunts for bow only. You just need to give TPWD a call and inquire about them and get all your info. You will find there is a lot of stuff to hunt here in Texas but for the most part you will probably have to "pay to play" since so much is privately owned.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: New to hunting in Texas, and to this forum. [Re: Curtis] #1502283 06/28/10 04:56 PM
D
dk5265 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D

Re: New to hunting in Texas, and to this forum. [Re: WEK] #1502303 06/28/10 05:06 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Where in Texas do you live? It's a really big state with lots of different terrain. Out south and west there are places where you can glass and spot and stalk. Theres places where you could shoot as far as you want and places where you'd be doing good to be able to shoot 50 yds.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: New to hunting in Texas, and to this forum. [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #1502356 06/28/10 05:40 PM
D
drivingonempty79 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Welcome! I think one of the most important things is get it in writing. Make sure you have it stated in what you are paying for. For instance, $1500 dollars = year round access, 3 deer(1 trophy,1 spike, and 1 doe), turkey, pigs, bird hunting, water and electricity. Make sure the rules the leasee and leasor must abide to. For example, leasee must lock all gates, take trash, report any game shot. Leasor will not hunt or drive the ranch during shooting hours. These are just a few things one must look at will looking to lease. As far as hunting, I hunt south Texas and sometimes walking around youmay jump a buck you may never see or walking to various spots around the ranch and rattling works. Most importantly is just have fun and be safe.

I wish to become immortal and then die.
Re: New to hunting in Texas, and to this forum. [Re: drivingonempty79] #1502538 06/28/10 07:38 PM
D
deerfeeder Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Welcome to both this forum and the state. You may find that "mercy" is in short supply here sometimes though.

You're doing well so far.

Re: New to hunting in Texas, and to this forum. [Re: deerfeeder] #1502675 06/28/10 08:48 PM
W
wacorusty Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Howdy Wek! I'm pretty new to the forum myself but it's been fun so far. Check on your public options until you can find a good lease. Most guys I know that come from other states disliked our form of feeding and shooting until they tried it for a few years. Deer hunting is different here. Birds and varmints might be more like Utah.

"The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and assistance to foreign hands should be curtailed, lest Rome fall." Cicero
Re: New to hunting in Texas, and to this forum. [Re: wacorusty] #1502828 06/28/10 10:09 PM
T
twinbubba Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
WEK, I just started deer hunting 5 years ago and the way I found our lease was to take a week day off work and drive to the area of West Texas I wanted to hunt and started stopping in every town and checking out the local cafe, feed store and Chamber of Commerce. You might find a lease posted on a bullitin board in a cafe, owners/workers at a feed store know most of the local land owners and I found my lease because the land owner posted an add with the Chamber of Commerce.
Many towns have deer lease listings on their towns Chanber of Commerce WEB site.

Just a few ideas to think about.

TB

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, 09 Yamaha Rhino 450 Camo,
Re: New to hunting in Texas, and to this forum. [Re: twinbubba] #1503368 06/29/10 02:10 AM
D
Drop Tine Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Welcome to the club, this is a great place to find all kinds of information. How do you like the heat here!

[Linked Image]
Re: New to hunting in Texas, and to this forum. [Re: Drop Tine] #1503551 06/29/10 03:34 AM
B
billy gordon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
welcome texasWelcome to Texas and also the forum.Pull up a chair and enjoy. coffee

Billy Gordon
Re: New to hunting in Texas, and to this forum. [Re: WEK] #1503786 06/29/10 01:03 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Welcome to Texas! We aren't nearly as arrogant, conceited, and opinionated as some think. Okay...maybe we are but we can't help it. It's family tradition.

One of the many good things about hunting here is that we have so much diverse terrain, you can pretty much hunt any way you like. Lots of guys seem to hunt over feeders in or around the Hill Country. Unless you have an ipod or newspaper to entertain you, that can get pertty tiresome. If you hunt north or west Texas, the terrain favors still hunting more. The heavy woods of the Post Oak Savanna also favor still hunting because you can't really see anything from a tower blind.

Paying for a lease is like everything else; it has good and bad points. The most important point is that unless you encounter poachers, you have a good idea of who is on the property and where they are.

If you really enjoyed the type of hunting you did in Utah, you might check out the far south around Alpine to the Davis Mountains or around Fort Stockton. Those areas support Whitetail as well as Mule Deer and are suited to still hunting.

Whatever you do, be safe, have fun, and share the outdoors with that new son.

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: New to hunting in Texas, and to this forum. [Re: WEK] #1503857 06/29/10 01:42 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
welcome

Re: New to hunting in Texas, and to this forum. [Re: dgilbert] #1504221 06/29/10 04:54 PM
O
OLDNAVY Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
All good tips. If it were me, I'd try one of the websites (they charge a fee) like leasehunter, and look for something you can afford. You should be able to find one that already has people on it that are looking for 1 additional gun. Check out the ones you like, and pick one if it fits. Get an appropriate weapon if you don't already have one (30.06 is very common). You may, or may not, need to acquire a feeder and/or stand. If so, do that ASAP. Keep in mind that Texas lease hunting is more about the hunt than the kill. It's a great time to make new friends, have a good time, and learn about whatever game you are hunting. By the way, if you join an existing group, don't be afraid to put a lot of sweat equity into the lease. Guys really appreciate hard workers, and the work will pay off in the end.

Re: New to hunting in Texas, and to this forum. [Re: OLDNAVY] #1505531 06/30/10 03:30 AM
W
WEK Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
W
Wow! I can't believe the level of response I've received asking for advice and tips. Thank you all very much, I've been able to learn a lot in a very short period of time. You've given me a great place to start and more.

And let me also add how impressed I am with the kindness and willingness to help I've seen from so many Texas hunters in such a short period of time. With Utah producing so many enormous bucks and bulls on public land in last 10 years, hunting in my home state has become extremely competitive, and nobody is forthcoming with information or even simple advice.

I'm beginning to really like Texas...

WEK

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide