Print Thread
Ozonics for clothes #6648303 01/25/17 05:46 PM
B
Big_Ag Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
I got an ozone making machine similar to an Ozonics machine for Christmas and one of the applications it says it can be used for is to remove scent from hunting clothes by hanging your clothes in a closet and running the machine in the closet the night before your hunt. I think I will try it, but was wondering if anyone has tried it and if they thought it worked?

Re: Ozonics for clothes [Re: Big_Ag] #6648320 01/25/17 05:56 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I am not a gimmick man, but Field and Stream did a study with a dog that showed clothes treated by putting them in an enclosed container with an ozonics machine did slightly extend the time it took for the dog to find the man in a box who was wearing them.

So I bought a $14.95 cheapo little ozonics unit from Wal Mart and now put my hunting clothes in a plastic tub with it at camp when I am bowhunting. Does it help? I can't say (and I doubt it). But, what the heck.

I would recommend a more enclosed space than a closet though.....

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Ozonics for clothes [Re: Big_Ag] #6648427 01/25/17 07:13 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Ozone itself is a probably the best anti-microbial we currently know of. There is literally almost no bug that it doesn't kill. It is also used extensively in the fire restoration business because it destroys many of the molecules responsible for odors. So without question ozone gas does work very well.

What I don't know is how strong the concentration of gas that is produced by those specific units. Some of the 'personal use' water ozonators are so weak that you don't get really enough of the ozone to really do anything. So if those units are weak you need to keep your garments in a very small enclosed space to get the maximum effect and use for a long time. Ozone gas used in the concentrations needed to really kill bugs on contact is quite irritating to your lungs so if you are doing this I would recommend using your garage and not inside the house.

Re: Ozonics for clothes [Re: Big_Ag] #6648435 01/25/17 07:16 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
That wasn't exactly the F&S test. They actually had a guy sitting inside of a box with the Ozonics machine running inside the box with him. He had bathed in no-scent soap and washed his clothes with no-scent soap.
http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/h...ug-sniffing-dog

So they ran the Ozonics machine in a confined space (not healthy) in order to hide the human inside the box, which is not just a treatment of the clothing and which does not mimic hunting conditions or how the Ozonics machine is supposed to be used in the field.

Keep in mind that deer and hogs have about a 50% greater ability to sense smell than do dogs.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Ozonics for clothes [Re: Big_Ag] #6648531 01/25/17 08:06 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Better hang yourself in that closet, too, cause you're still gonna smell.

Actually, just stand in the closet. Don't hang yourself.

Re: Ozonics for clothes [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6648538 01/25/17 08:08 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
That wasn't exactly the F&S test. They actually had a guy sitting inside of a box with the Ozonics machine running inside the box with him. He had bathed in no-scent soap and washed his clothes with no-scent soap.
http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/h...ug-sniffing-dog

So they ran the Ozonics machine in a confined space (not healthy) in order to hide the human inside the box, which is not just a treatment of the clothing and which does not mimic hunting conditions or how the Ozonics machine is supposed to be used in the field.

Keep in mind that deer and hogs have about a 50% greater ability to sense smell than do dogs.

The following was in the conclusion. What is interesting is you know this is a very weak unit because he could sit in the box with it running. If this were a medical grade unit the guy sitting in the box would be having a coughing fit as the gas is very irritating to the lining of the lungs. So if this weak unit surprised the dog handler that is actually saying something good about the benefits of ozone vs other 'scent killers'.

Quote:
Even the handler was stunned at how long it took Chance to find Bob. Again, the dog ran two full laps before choosing the right box, and his first bark was tentative—like a guess. This was the most shocking result in four years of testing.

Re: Ozonics for clothes [Re: Big_Ag] #6648585 01/25/17 08:37 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
My memory was fuzzy. Please forgive me.

Anyway, it caused me to invest in a little plug in ozonics machine. smile

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 01/25/17 08:38 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Ozonics for clothes [Re: Big_Ag] #6648814 01/25/17 11:03 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
The bottom line here is that while you can treat you clothing, what are you going to do about yourself? That treatment becomes pretty meaningless once you put the clothing on and your scent gets all over it.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Ozonics for clothes [Re: Big_Ag] #6649552 01/26/17 02:53 PM
B
Big_Ag Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
I wash my clothes in scent free detergent and also shower with scent free soap, so I take those measures. If the ozone machine is effective removing odors from clothes, that would eliminate having to wash your clothes as often and also help when you don't have access to a washer/dryer. I'd also take the ozone machine with me to the blind.

Sounds like I should give it a shot. Thanks for the feedback.

Re: Ozonics for clothes [Re: Big_Ag] #6650549 01/27/17 04:51 AM
old raider Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
We had a skunk living under our cabin. We finally got rid of him but he left an odor behind. We ran an Ozonater several times while we were out of the cabin.98% of the smell was eliminated.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide