Print Thread
Oil CEO as TPWD Commissioner #6525361 11/03/16 03:25 PM
W
Whiptail Online Content OP
Woodsman
OP Online Content
Woodsman
W

Does anyone think that putting a CEO from an energy company on the TPWD Commission is a bad idea?

Link

Texas Parks and Wildlife increases security ahead of pipeline protest

Texas Parks and Wildlife officials have tightened security ahead of a meeting Thursday over concerns about threats involving one of its commissioners, who owns a pipeline company targeted by protesters over two projects.

Kelcy Warren, appointed to the board a year ago by Gov. Greg Abbott, is the CEO of Dallas-based Energy Transfer Partners, which is building the Trans-Pecos pipeline in the Big Bend region and the Dakota Access pipeline in the Great Plains.

Both oil and gas projects have led to bitter protests over issues involving climate change, water quality, and — in the Dakotas — tribal power. Standoffs in the Dakotas have been especially charged, with incidents involving security personnel and protesters drawing national attention.

Now some of that glare is shining on the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission, whose members routinely rank among the highest political campaign donors to state Republicans — Warren himself has given more than $700,000 since 2013 to Texans for Greg Abbott.

As environmental groups prepared to convene at the commission’s meeting Thursday to protest Warren’s company’s work, a beefed-up security presence at the agency was noticeable: At a workshop Wednesday, where issues ranged from shad collection to oyster lease rules, authorities checked visitors with security wands and Texas game wardens ringed the hearing room.

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department spokesman Josh Havens said, “Threats have been made but I cannot confirm whether or not those threats were received directly by the department or another entity.”

The Trans-Pecos pipeline, a nearly 150-mile natural gas pipeline through the Big Bend region, has won approval from federal authorities — but still faces opposition from residents of Fort Davis, Alpine and Marfa, among other places, who worry that its construction will destroy the landscape.

Warren, who runs a music studio and label in Austin, has already alienated some Texas musicians with his business dealings.

But his political connections are nonpareil: Rick Perry, Abbott’s predecessor, sits on the Energy Transfer Partners board.

Protests over the Dakota Access pipeline project, a 1,172-mile pipeline designed to carry as many as 570,000 barrels of oil a day from the Dakotas through Iowa and Illinois, where it would hook up with a pipeline to Texas, have won more attention. In North Dakota, the pipeline is routed to cross beneath the Missouri River, not far from the Standing Rock Sioux reservation. Tribal leaders say the project could jeopardize the reservation’s water supply.

In September, the Obama administration ordered a shutdown of pipeline work beneath the river.

On Thursday, activists associated from groups ranging from Earth Guardians of El Paso to the Society of Native Nations are expected to appear at the Parks and Wildlife meeting, according to Dave Cortez, a Sierra Club organizer.

In many ways, the planned protests appear to be an opportunity to confront Warren directly, even if it’s at a meeting several states away from the pipeline sites.

At Wednesday’s workshop, one protester, Austinite Charlie Pierce, was on hand waving and pointing a finger at Warren, and sometimes blowing through a bone that hung around his neck like a pendant. Pierce was led out of the room a couple of times and asked not disrupt the proceedings.

“I was giving him the stink eye,” said Pierce, who said the security officials were cordial. “I was blowing at him as a way to attack him, to drive the spirit at him.”

In a September open letter, Warren called the criticism of the Dakotas project “unfounded.”

“I am confident that as long as the government ultimately decides the fate of the project based on science and engineering, the Dakota Access pipeline will become operational bringing a safer means of transportation to a much needed supply of oil to communities across the country,” he wrote.

Havens said the “Texas Parks and Wildlife Department respects the rights of individuals to express their opinions and encourages those who wish to demonstrate to do so peacefully and safely.”

The commission on Thursday could take up the matter of a pipeline easement in a Texas wildlife management area.

Some activists have called for Warren to recuse himself, pointing out possible associations between his company and the one asking for the easement.

Warren, through a spokesman, said “no conflict exists here.”

“Commissioner Warren will fully participate as an active member of the commission this week,” Havens said.

Re: Oil CEO as TPWD Commissioner [Re: Whiptail] #6525393 11/03/16 03:35 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I'd rather them just appoint some random deer hunter myself.

Everything nowadays is done by elite politically connected [censored]. Thats WHy we are in such bad shape IMO. I mean, do you think this prick has ever filled a feeder himself? I'm sure he has hunted a few of the states best HF ranches, but doesn't know the first thing about your average Texas deer hunter or deer lease.

Last edited by maximus_flavius; 11/03/16 03:38 PM.
Re: Oil CEO as TPWD Commissioner [Re: maximus_flavius] #6525428 11/03/16 03:54 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius

I mean, do you think this prick has ever filled a feeder himself? I'm sure he has hunted a few of the states best HF ranches, but doesn't know the first thing about your average Texas deer hunter or deer lease.

Well, he grew up in White Oak. His Dad was a pipeline welder for Sunco pipeline. Kelcy was, too. So I'd imagine he's done plenty of hard, dirty, hands on work.

Re: Oil CEO as TPWD Commissioner [Re: fouzman] #6525540 11/03/16 04:34 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius

I mean, do you think this prick has ever filled a feeder himself? I'm sure he has hunted a few of the states best HF ranches, but doesn't know the first thing about your average Texas deer hunter or deer lease.

Well, he grew up in White Oak. His Dad was a pipeline welder for Sunco pipeline. Kelcy was, too. So I'd imagine he's done plenty of hard, dirty, hands on work.

Exactly. My late brother-in-law had retired from an international oil company as a senior VP, and accepted the presidency of a multi-state company. I can assure you he worked hard to be where he was. He also hunted LF and filled every one of his feeders himself until he became too sick to do so. Just because someone is successful financially doesn't mean they don't know how or are unwilling to work. To say otherwise is just blue collar whining.

Re: Oil CEO as TPWD Commissioner [Re: Whiptail] #6525545 11/03/16 04:37 PM
P
poisonivie Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Everybody wants to pizz on oil and gas but the EPA has proven they'll pollute our water and nobody has shut them down yet

Pee on Photobucket
Re: Oil CEO as TPWD Commissioner [Re: poisonivie] #6525564 11/03/16 04:47 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: poisonivie
Everybody wants to pizz on oil and gas but the EPA has proven they'll pollute our water and nobody has shut them down yet

Yup.....and then scream bloody murder when the price of a gallon of gas goes up a nickel.... trout

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Oil CEO as TPWD Commissioner [Re: Whiptail] #6525814 11/03/16 07:05 PM
R
Russ79 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
R
I guess he is the reason for the protestors at TP&W in Austin.

Re: Oil CEO as TPWD Commissioner [Re: Whiptail] #6525995 11/03/16 09:27 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Oil and gas are what make the modern age possible. Some people should live in powerless mud hunts for a few months to get a full feel for the "natural" world.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Oil CEO as TPWD Commissioner [Re: Whiptail] #6526054 11/03/16 10:22 PM
J
JYG71 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
My dad worked for the oil field services all his life, He fed us and sent us to school and got our medical needs tended too, saw moma thru cancer and buried her. and retired with very little. When Coke gas said they were coming thru the farm as a kid I watched him wearily say ok. We now have three pipelines and an access road on the family farm and when XTO came Thru I almost pulled "the not in my backyard, how much do we have to give up!", Then I thought about all the good things we had as kids, we didn't have much but we stayed in fairly good health and ate well. Oil and Gas was responsible for that. So even though I watched old black walnut trees and oaks and pines fall some of which my dad and i planted some I played around when I was a kid. I wearily watched and now I have the best deer plot and deer highway on earth and I'm seeing more deer than ever! Dads' in his eighties now doesn't see the place as often but I bring him Photos. Nothing is permanent, and someone with more money always has a chance to take away everything you've fought hard to keep and pass down. its' a constant fight. Sometimes its too much but eventually the bad news subsides.

The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.
Re: Oil CEO as TPWD Commissioner [Re: Whiptail] #6526127 11/03/16 11:29 PM
S
spg Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I grew up on a farm, now work in the oilfield for the past 20 years. I'm just a hand nothing super important. The answer to the question, I have no idea as I don't know the man or have I interviewed him to assess his credentials, hopefully his background of CEO for TP has made him familiar with the public throughout most of the state and knows there expectations. Yes, there is a political atmosphere at some levels but, I think there always was since day 1.

Re: Oil CEO as TPWD Commissioner [Re: Whiptail] #6526219 11/04/16 12:26 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
It's almost always well-connected bigwhigs that serve on the TPWD Commission. Some have been good, some terrible. It depends on their core philosophy regarding wildlife, not their wealth or status.

T. Boone Pickens is an oilman - and an excellent steward.

I have no idea about Kelcy Warren's philosophy.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Oil CEO as TPWD Commissioner [Re: Whiptail] #6526236 11/04/16 12:42 AM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
As long as he's not a Democrat

Re: Oil CEO as TPWD Commissioner [Re: Whiptail] #6526442 11/04/16 02:54 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Most of the commissioners are big oil. Tha roll is a political favor appointment.
I have sat on two boards and the commissioner on both was a big oil guy. One was smart and thoughtful that was very pro anything that be fitted wildlife. The other was an idiot that smoked big cigars and new very little about anything wildlife but was rich and had a big ranch in east Texas.

Believe it or not a "big oil" person can and most are responsible land and wildlife stewards.

Re: Oil CEO as TPWD Commissioner [Re: SniperRAB] #6526487 11/04/16 03:28 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
As long as he's not a Democrat

Amen brother!

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Oil CEO as TPWD Commissioner [Re: syncerus] #6526560 11/04/16 09:55 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: syncerus
Oil and gas are what make the modern age possible. Some people should live in powerless mud hunts for a few months to get a full feel for the "natural" world.

X2 Let the man serve before frying him.

Re: Oil CEO as TPWD Commissioner [Re: Whiptail] #6526578 11/04/16 11:00 AM
L
lthomas132 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Since you mention the Dakota Access pipeline project. Here's a link to what is really happening up there. The truth has been twisted, as usual, by the left. http://standingrockfactchecker.org/fact-checking-srst-claims-9-7-16/

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.
Re: Oil CEO as TPWD Commissioner [Re: huntwest] #6526664 11/04/16 12:45 PM
P
poisonivie Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: huntwest
Most of the commissioners are big oil. Tha roll is a political favor appointment.
I have sat on two boards and the commissioner on both was a big oil guy. One was smart and thoughtful that was very pro anything that be fitted wildlife. The other was an idiot that smoked big cigars and new very little about anything wildlife but was rich and had a big ranch in east Texas.

Believe it or not a "big oil" person can and most are responsible land and wildlife stewards.

There are big ranches in East Texas?

Pee on Photobucket
Re: Oil CEO as TPWD Commissioner [Re: poisonivie] #6526671 11/04/16 12:49 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: poisonivie
Originally Posted By: huntwest

There are big ranches in East Texas?

I don't know what you call "big", but I can think of a half dozen over 10,000 acres off the top of my head. Represented a family that owned 3 of them. As far as AU carrying capacity goes, that's equivalent to ranches 10x that acreage in far west Texas.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Oil CEO as TPWD Commissioner [Re: Whiptail] #6526681 11/04/16 01:05 PM
P
poisonivie Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I actually had no idea. I thought ET was all cut up these days.

Pee on Photobucket
Re: Oil CEO as TPWD Commissioner [Re: Whiptail] #6526748 11/04/16 01:45 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Big oil may not have anything to do with what type of job he does in regard to the TPWD. Give him a chance and then after a year or so, we will know.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Oil CEO as TPWD Commissioner [Re: Whiptail] #6526873 11/04/16 03:01 PM
L
lmd59 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
I know and have good, positive contact with Mr. Warren. As others have said earlier, he didn't come from big money, he worked his way up. He is an avid outdoorsman and will be a good steward of our resources in Texas. Lots of the folks protesting him and his company are the same folks who are protesting every time one of us kills a deer, dove, hog or raccoon.

Re: Oil CEO as TPWD Commissioner [Re: syncerus] #6526905 11/04/16 03:22 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H

Yep! No computers, no TV's, no water bottles, no neat clothes, no phones, no zip lock bags, and the list goes on & on.......

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Oil CEO as TPWD Commissioner [Re: Hunt n Fish] #6527037 11/04/16 04:38 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Yep! No computers, no TV's, no water bottles, no neat clothes, no phones, no zip lock bags, and the list goes on & on.......

cheers been thar... twas living on de streets that i walked as a meter reader beaten de streets looking for work... With out an income ya cannt pay de bills... scratch Did have a phone with internet axcess... So if got interview they could contact me... bang When ya at 60, with alien body parts, employers dont wanna here bout use-ta-could ... realize my posts aint worth 2cents used the BBT when moved ta texas it was buck only county, TPWD said not enough deer... Same with the leases got on... The 24-7-365 hog hunts isveant got me inta hunting lease... Around 2010 county became 4 deer county... 2013 got on texas HF bang thought it was hunting forum, people were more worried bout me grammer... just wanted ta see if any one wanted ta do a hog hunt on WMA land... popcorn helped ta mannage a county ta go from a buck only ta a 4 deer county... i'm just a lowfer... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Oil CEO as TPWD Commissioner [Re: Hunt n Fish] #6527093 11/04/16 05:17 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Yeah no social media to do their crying on!

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Oil CEO as TPWD Commissioner [Re: Whiptail] #6527190 11/04/16 06:40 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Kelcy throws a big 2 day concert on at this ranch each spring. Anyone can go and campout if they want. Just buy a ticket or stay at Horseshoe Bay. As far as him knowing anything about wildlife, no idea. I just know he loves music and his kids. He built Klyde Warren park for his boy. grin He loves doing things that brings people together though.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide