Beware...This guy got me #6447117 09/11/16 04:09 AM
L
Lotto Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
L

Posted on July 18, 2013by watchyourbuck
ID-1008377BBB advises consumers to beware of Central Texas small building contractor
BBB has received numerous complaints about a Central Texas builder named Jay Curtis Slayton. His small building construction business is known as Sheds On Site, but the promised structures are often nowhere in sight after he receives customers’ money.
Slayton has previously done business under the names Solid Rock Storage Sheds and Top Hand Structures. Websites for Solid Rock Storage Sheds and Top Hand Structures are no longer active. Slayton’s businesses were previously located in Holland, Texas, but Sheds On Site is currently located at 1228 C.R 268 in Bertram, Texas.
The Bell County Sheriff’s Office arrested Slayton for felony theft on Nov. 27, 2012 and again on Jan. 29, 2013. Slayton went to jail on those charges, but was released on bond. He spent three days in the Williamson County Jail on charges of theft of property between $1,500 and $20,000.
Despite his arrests, Slayton continues operating under the name Sheds On Site, taking orders through his website and via online classified sites.
As of July 12, 2013, BBB has received 13 complaints about Sheds On Site. The company did not respond to five complaints and failed to resolve six. Two complaints were resolved through BBB. Complainants state that they prepay for free standing sheds, but the business never delivers or constructs the sheds. Those complainants are seeking refunds, but many are still waiting.
Diane Elaine Gunn of Belton ordered a shed from J.C. Slayton which was never delivered. She paid $1,858.54 on Oct. 29, 2012 for a shed that was to be delivered Nov. 15, 2012. Slayton did not deliver or build a shed.
“He told me to pay half down and he would deliver in two weeks,” Gunn said. “He never even got the lumber. I had to build my own shed. I told him I wanted my money back. He said he had to finish a job first, then he would pay me. I gave him till the next morning. He didn’t show. He called back and I told him I already turned him in. He spent a month of playing me off.”
Melinda Jackson of Lago Vista made a down payment of $2,559 on Oct. 1, 2012 for a cabin that was to be delivered Oct. 12. Jackson said she asked Slayton a question about the materials a few days from the time construction was to begin and was told they weren’t purchased yet.
“He never even bought the materials,” she said. “I went to Home Depot and Lowe’s to look at materials and called him and asked him about the color. He said he still hadn’t got supplies. I started getting suspicious and got online and found out I was in the same boat with a lot of other people.”
Lance Todd Barrow of Junction said he paid Slayton full price for a shed, but the structure was only partially built and left without a roof. “It’s like a big bowl. If it rains, it will catch it all,” Barrow said. He said Slayton would not honor a promise to complete the building and has stopped responding to his messages. Barrow said he spent over $3,000 on materials and gave Slayton two payments of $1,200 each.
“He kept giving me excuses,” Barrow said. “He gave me three or four excuses. He seemed sincere. Then I Googled his name and saw that he had an F with BBB.”
Barrow said a former Sheds On Site worker told him Slayton had been “burning people” and that he had worked two jobs without getting paid. He said he decided to give Slayton a chance after he said he had “gotten behind” and changed his business model. However, Slayton did not complete the project after receiving payment.

Reply, Reply All or Forward | More

Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto] #6447119 09/11/16 04:13 AM
L
Lotto Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
L
First time anything like this has happened to my wife and I with hard earned money we had saved up. After he would not respond after saying he would come back and finish my roof it was to late and now I am finding all kind of things wrong with our get away. please share to all your friends for he does hunting cabins. His company now is The Texas Shed Company out of Roundrock Texas.

Last edited by Lotto; 09/11/16 04:19 AM.
Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto] #6447126 09/11/16 04:26 AM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Scumbag. Needs to be in jail. Sorry to hear you got taken. Some really good contractors on the forum if you need references to finish your job.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto] #6447203 09/11/16 12:07 PM
L
lharrell79 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Lotto, how did you pay? Cash, credit card?

Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto] #6447511 09/11/16 05:32 PM
L
Lotto Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
L
Paid half in cash and other half with check...cash said he needed to pay his help???

Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto] #6447607 09/11/16 06:45 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Thanks for letting people know.

To be determined
Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: TurkeyHunter] #6447649 09/11/16 07:25 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
Thanks for letting people know.

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto] #6447675 09/11/16 07:42 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
sorry to hear you got poked.

c.o.d. only for me.
you'll probably want to adopt
that practice yourself now.

Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto] #6447955 09/11/16 10:52 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Good contractors do not need any monies down to start, work and finish a job. I have been in business (metal roofing) sense 1995 and have NEVER been ripped off by a homeowner. I have been screwed twice on jobs....by other contractors. This dood needs money down for sheds? Good lord I have jobs in excess of $50,000 in cost do get done and we do not ask for anything down. There are 3 reasons for money down. 1 is to screw you. The other...albeit more legit is to lock you in so you don't cancel. That contractor is usually good for the job. 3rd is the contractor who does have well intentions but maybe is new and just needs the money to get the materials. That 3rd contractor should soon go on to no money down once he is established.

Sorry for your loss.

Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto] #6448025 09/11/16 11:56 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
pc of chit needs a red neck whuppin

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: dkershen] #6448207 09/12/16 01:56 AM
G
Gamblinman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: dkershen
Scumbag. Needs to be in jail. Sorry to hear you got taken. Some really good contractors on the forum if you need references to finish your job.

Jail hell...he needs to be in the hospital. And as soon as he's released, yep, thump his noggin again and send him back.

" I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to."
Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: BDB] #6448452 09/12/16 12:50 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: BDB
Good contractors do not need any monies down to start, work and finish a job. I have been in business (metal roofing) sense 1995 and have NEVER been ripped off by a homeowner. I have been screwed twice on jobs....by other contractors. This dood needs money down for sheds? Good lord I have jobs in excess of $50,000 in cost do get done and we do not ask for anything down. There are 3 reasons for money down. 1 is to screw you. The other...albeit more legit is to lock you in so you don't cancel. That contractor is usually good for the job. 3rd is the contractor who does have well intentions but maybe is new and just needs the money to get the materials. That 3rd contractor should soon go on to no money down once he is established.

Sorry for your loss.

I'm also a contractor and I never take upfront money. There is no reason for it, and a lot of my regulars have had or know of somebody that has paid upfront money and never seen the guy again. Worse is when a family member asks for cash to buy materials, and then disappears.

Another red flag is if they are ready to start right away. I have a 9 month waiting list. Six months is probably the shortest anybody waits for me, but sometimes it's a year. I understand if they can't wait and need it done sooner, but sadly, I get calls to fix, or tear out what others do all the time.

Hopefully he didn't get you for too much.

Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto] #6449112 09/12/16 08:52 PM
N
Nathan at Fork Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Never pay any money until the job is complete and you have inspected it.

If they say they need some money up front for materials cost, worker pay, etc, walk away and find someone else.

[Linked Image]
Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto] #6449339 09/12/16 10:49 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
And always use google...

Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto] #6449807 09/13/16 04:42 AM
T
TX Hitman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Does he build deer blinds too? bolt

Seriously. Now would be a good time for the a firewood craigslist post. Had a contract screw another contractor on a project I was having done. I didn't lose any money but the contractor did. I went onto Craigslist and posted......Firewood - $200/cord delivered. Description: piñon oak mix - will deliver. Then added a wood stack pic from Google and his phone number. I then posted it to about 10 different big cities.

It completely locks the guys phone up with calls/texts/voicemails. He would flag them and I would repost. Did it for a week and the guy finally called asked for us to stop. We told we would when he paid the money back. He brought a cashiers check by that day.

Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: TX Hitman] #6449882 09/13/16 11:41 AM
L
lharrell79 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: TX Hitman

Seriously. Now would be a good time for the a firewood craigslist post. Had a contract screw another contractor on a project I was having done. I didn't lose any money but the contractor did. I went onto Craigslist and posted......Firewood - $200/cord delivered. Description: piñon oak mix - will deliver. Then added a wood stack pic from Google and his phone number. I then posted it to about 10 different big cities.

It completely locks the guys phone up with calls/texts/voicemails. He would flag them and I would repost. Did it for a week and the guy finally called asked for us to stop. We told we would when he paid the money back. He brought a cashiers check by that day.

This sounds like fun, but what you're suggesting is illegal and a very bad idea. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto] #6451270 09/14/16 02:49 AM
L
Lotto Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
L
Think I will just keep it legal. It is going to cost me to replace the roof for the rain and wind has taken its toll. This guy must of read one of my post on facebook or somewhere and messaged me yesterday saying he did not want me to loose money because of him and we could work it out...??? I think I am just a total wreck...............

Last edited by Lotto; 09/14/16 02:55 AM.
Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto] #6460680 09/20/16 08:31 PM
F
fritz423 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Guys on some "ripoff report" website for doing the same in Aransas Pass. What a douche.

Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: lharrell79] #6460706 09/20/16 08:42 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: lharrell79
Originally Posted By: TX Hitman

This sounds like fun, but what you're suggesting is illegal and a very bad idea. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Just curious as to what is illegal about this? If it is offering money then fine, just post up in the M4M classifieds with the phone number and a skanky offer that most won't refuse. I've also heard of someone doing this but saying they will pay general laborers 20$ hr cash for work. You want to talk about getting some phone calls.....

Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto] #6462091 09/21/16 06:06 PM
L
lharrell79 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Texas Penal Code § 42.07. Harassment

(a)A person commits an offense if, with intent to harass, annoy, alarm, abuse, torment, or embarrass another, the person:
(1)initiates communication and in the course of the communication makes a comment, request, suggestion, or proposal that is obscene;
(2)threatens, in a manner reasonably likely to alarm the person receiving the threat, to inflict bodily injury on the person or to commit a felony against the person, a member of the person's family or household, or the person's property;
(3)conveys, in a manner reasonably likely to alarm the person receiving the report, a false report, which is known by the conveyor to be false, that another person has suffered death or serious bodily injury;
(4)causes the telephone of another to ring repeatedly or makes repeated telephone communications anonymously or in a manner reasonably likely to harass, annoy, alarm, abuse, torment, embarrass, or offend another;
(5)makes a telephone call and intentionally fails to hang up or disengage the connection;
(6)knowingly permits a telephone under the person's control to be used by another to commit an offense under this section;
(7)sends repeated electronic communications in a manner reasonably likely to harass, annoy, alarm, abuse, torment, embarrass, or offend another.
(b)In this section:
(1)“Electronic communication” means a transfer of signs, signals, writing, images, sounds, data, or intelligence of any nature transmitted in whole or in part by a wire, radio, electromagnetic, photoelectronic, or photo-optical system.  The term includes:
(A)a communication initiated by electronic mail, instant message, network call, or facsimile machine;  and
(B)a communication made to a pager.
(2)“Family” and “household” have the meaning assigned by Chapter 71, Family Code.
(3)“Obscene” means containing a patently offensive description of or a solicitation to commit an ultimate sex act, including sexual intercourse, masturbation, cunnilingus, fellatio, or anilingus, or a description of an excretory function.
(c)An offense under this section is a Class B misdemeanor, except that the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the actor has previously been convicted under this section.

Last edited by lharrell79; 09/21/16 06:07 PM.
Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: lharrell79] #6462134 09/21/16 06:32 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
4)causes the telephone of another to ring repeatedly or makes repeated telephone communications anonymously or in a manner reasonably likely to harass, annoy, alarm, abuse, torment, embarrass, or offend another;

This happens to almost everybody I know. Solicitors. Unfortunately I don't think they will be getting punished anytime soon.

-Those who say money can't buy happiness never bought a dog.

Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto] #6462248 09/21/16 07:26 PM
T
texaspirate Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
nothing worse than liars cheats and thieves

Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Nathan at Fork] #6462435 09/21/16 09:07 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: Nathan at Fork
Never pay any money until the job is complete and you have inspected it.

If they say they need some money up front for materials cost, worker pay, etc, walk away and find someone else.

This right here.......... yingyang

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto] #6463015 09/22/16 03:31 AM
L
Lotto Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
L
Thanks for all the comments and advice......he will get what he does not want...he also put about $500.00 worth of power tools on my Home Depot delivery and took off with them also....still working on completing it but being 6 hrs from san marcos it is tough and cabin funds are low. Found that report Light Foot

Jay Curtis Slayton was contracted to build a 16 x 32 Cabin. He collected over ten thousand dollars and stole over thirtytwo chundred dollars worth of tools from building site. He never finished the Cabin. At first showed up then stopped showing up. He them began giving excuses and then began dodgeing calls. This occurred on August 2013 through November 2013. I finally located him in the Williamson County Jail, where I contracted him requesting refund of moneies and return of tools. He never responded. To this day October 12, 2014 more than a year after he disappeared without finishing the contracted Cabin and stole my tools, he has yet to contact me. I am a disabled vet going through cancer treatment and have had to rely on family to help me by providing lodging. Because Jay Curtis Slayton defrauded me for over $13,000.00 thirteen Thousand Dollars when he did not finish the Cabin which was suppossed to be my home. I have been left homeless. Beware of this Criminal. Slayton employes the conman methods of sympathy and religion to defraud and steal. Slayton is a criminal of the worst stripe. Slaying does not care about his victims. He only cares about how much he can take make off of what he considers suckers, the victims.

Last edited by Lotto; 09/22/16 03:37 AM.
Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto] #6464419 09/23/16 02:28 AM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Thanks for the heads up

Big Beckett!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide