Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gun Safe shopping #6308452 05/23/16 07:36 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I am looking at purchasing a new gun safe and wanted some recommendations. You can find good and bad reviews on just about any safe. I'm looking to spend around $1000. 20 or so rifles and shotguns, 10 or 12 pistols to be stored. Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited by ETexas Hunter; 05/23/16 07:36 PM.
Re: Gun Safe shopping [Re: ETexas Hunter] #6308456 05/23/16 07:42 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Gun Safe shopping [Re: ETexas Hunter] #6308478 05/23/16 08:06 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Thanks, I was wondering if anyone had a specific recommendation

Re: Gun Safe shopping [Re: ETexas Hunter] #6308479 05/23/16 08:08 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
If you need it to hold 20 long guns and a dozen pistols, buy on that will hold 40 long guns and two dozen pistols.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Gun Safe shopping [Re: ETexas Hunter] #6308481 05/23/16 08:11 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Gun Safe shopping [Re: ETexas Hunter] #6308504 05/23/16 08:33 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Recommendation #1, buy one at least double or triple the size that you think you need.

Everyone receives that advice, no one follows it, then they end up giving the same advice.

Re: Gun Safe shopping [Re: ETexas Hunter] #6308511 05/23/16 08:38 PM
M
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: ETexas Hunter

The reason I provided the link I did was so that you have plenty of information to better define your requirements. Your original post is a little vague. Without further detail you will get vague responses. Some will be suitable, some won't. Like TexFlip's Graffunder suggestion. Excellent safe, but I doubt they have a model that fits the budget.

Advertised capacity is for firearms with no optics. If your long guns have optics double the capacity to store them.

Some people don't like keypads, some love them.

The guns in the back of the safe are pain to get out unless they're on a carousel. I don't have a carousel but the ones in the back I don't use very often so that doesn't matter to me. Maybe you're different.

Maybe capacity and internal usability features take a back seat to security. Or maybe you simply want a flimsy 16 gauge "safe" with a cheap lock that can be picked by a middle schooler but it keeps guns away from your toddler niece/nephew that visits on occasion.

Many more things to think about beyond capacity (and cost) is the point.

-Mickey

Re: Gun Safe shopping [Re: jeffbird] #6308514 05/23/16 08:40 PM
M
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: jeffbird
...at least double or triple the size that you think you need.

I more than doubled mine - wish I went even bigger.

Re: Gun Safe shopping [Re: Mickey Moose] #6308542 05/23/16 09:01 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose
Originally Posted By: ETexas Hunter

The reason I provided the link I did was so that you have plenty of information to better define your requirements. Your original post is a little vague. Without further detail you will get vague responses. Some will be suitable, some won't. Like TexFlip's Graffunder suggestion. Excellent safe, but I doubt they have a model that fits the budget.

Advertised capacity is for firearms with no optics. If your long guns have optics double the capacity to store them.

Some people don't like keypads, some love them.

The guns in the back of the safe are pain to get out unless they're on a carousel. I don't have a carousel but the ones in the back I don't use very often so that doesn't matter to me. Maybe you're different.

Maybe capacity and internal usability features take a back seat to security. Or maybe you simply want a flimsy 16 gauge "safe" with a cheap lock that can be picked by a middle schooler but it keeps guns away from your toddler niece/nephew that visits on occasion.

Many more things to think about beyond capacity (and cost) is the point.

-Mickey

Thanks for the responses. I should have provided more information. I am looking for a quality safe that will provide at least 60 minutes of fire protection and be able to hold my firearms. Price is a bit of a sticking point as I do not want to spend $2000, but could go up to $1500 or so. I currently rent so I will be unable to bolt it to the foundation. I prefer not to have a keypad.
There are so many pros and cons, so I figured I would ask what some THFers have and what they like or dislike about them. I want to get a safe that I will not have buyers remorse for in a year

Re: Gun Safe shopping [Re: ETexas Hunter] #6308588 05/23/16 09:50 PM
M
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Factoring in:

* budget
* "doubling" capacity (you have 20 or so long guns - so look for capacity of 40 or so - the higher the better like previously said)
* fire protection

really limits choices. There may be a few Cannon models that will suit, maybe a few Browning and Winchester (Granite) as well - all respectable brands. I think other brands such as Amsec, Champion, Graffunder (previously mentioned), Fort Know and Liberty will be too far beyond budget.

Many say buying a safe is a "buy once, cry once" event. I agree. Also, like many, you'll likely have it delivered which is often an additional (itemized) cost that is only to the curb. You want it in your home then that will almost certainly bump the cost further. You mentioned being in an apartment - if maybe you'll be moving in a year or so then consider holding off and saving money to increase your budget. But, supposing you move forward and purchase while in an apartment, then placement needs considered. Can it get to where you want it??

Hopefully this has helped even if only a little bit.

Hit us up with more questions or comments.

Re: Gun Safe shopping [Re: ETexas Hunter] #6308605 05/23/16 10:07 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Thanks. I am in a rent house, plan to put the safe in the garage. Recently moved and remarked to the fiancee that it is ridiculous to have this much money in guns and not having a safe. Looking at the fat boy jr from cabelas now.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/LIBERTY-SAFE-CLASSIC-FATBOY-JR/2010605.uts

Re: Gun Safe shopping [Re: ETexas Hunter] #6308613 05/23/16 10:15 PM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Liberty safes. We have never been able to defeat one of theirs, other brands are much easier but still hard without the correct tools.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Gun Safe shopping [Re: ETexas Hunter] #6308658 05/23/16 10:44 PM
M
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M

Neat, I wasn't aware that there are Cabela's-branded Liberty safes.

Do it.

Re: Gun Safe shopping [Re: ETexas Hunter] #6308712 05/23/16 11:23 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Im gonna go take a look at it this weekend

Re: Gun Safe shopping [Re: ETexas Hunter] #6309066 05/24/16 02:56 AM
S
Stratgolfer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
ETH I bought mine at Cabelas during a sale (which they might have this weekend). Talk to the guys there and they'll be able to tell you if this is the right time or when is the right time.

"I was called by the Yorkers a outlaw, and later by the english a rebel" Ethan Allen
Re: Gun Safe shopping [Re: ETexas Hunter] #6309068 05/24/16 02:57 AM
T
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
As someone who used to sell safes, I can't believe someone in this thread just put Liberty safes in a category above Browning and mentioned them in the same realm as Fort Knox. Wild. Browning safes are a significant step up from Liberty, and Fort Knox safes are a step up from Browning. In you price range, I would buy a Liberty, but they are the definition of an average safe. IMO you would be best off saving up some more money and buying a better safe. You won't find a good 40 - 50 gun safe for $1000. Everyone has their own opinion of what a "good" safe is, though. To each his own.

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal."
Re: Gun Safe shopping [Re: TTUhunter4] #6309075 05/24/16 03:04 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4
As someone who used to sell safes, I can't believe someone in this thread just put Liberty safes in a category above Browning and mentioned them in the same realm as Fort Knox. Wild. Browning safes are a significant step up from Liberty, and Fort Knox safes are a step up from Browning. In you price range, I would buy a Liberty, but they are the definition of an average safe. IMO you would be best off saving up some more money and buying a better safe. You won't find a good 40 - 50 gun safe for $1000. Everyone has their own opinion of what a "good" safe is, though. To each his own.

What makes the Browning better? I know FK is good, but likely above his price point. What makes Liberty bad? Your experience is in selling, mine is in breaking into them. popcorn

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Gun Safe shopping [Re: ETexas Hunter] #6309298 05/24/16 01:23 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
When I was looking around, the safe that seemed like the best deal out there was made by Winchester. Highest fire rating and it was a lot bigger then the other brands for the same money. I've decided to build a storm/tornado shelter in my garage with a gun safe door instead of buying a gun safe, but that's what I would have bought if the tornadoes where not so bad this year.

As for the videos showing how easy it is to get into some of the different brands, I never seen one of those videos with a safe bolted to the ground. They always lay them on their backs to get the pry bars into them. When I was with the State Department as an Embassy Marine, we rated every safe and lock in how long it would take a pro to get through them. There was no such thing as a secure safe or lock. Most are rated in seconds, very few are rated in minutes. Buying a safe to keep a pro out isn't practical. The State Department uses Marines to guard their safes overseas. Get one that will delay the average crackhead who is most likely the one to break into your house looking for something quick to steal that they can sell for drugs. Also keeping so called friends and family members out of your stuff. And for me, most importantly, was hoping my stuff survives if there is a fire.

Re: Gun Safe shopping [Re: ETexas Hunter] #6309376 05/24/16 02:14 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
I bought a 7241 Fort Knoxx Defender around 10 years ago. My decision was simple. I wanted the best fire rating in the business. After my research, Fort Knoxx gave me that. I've never once regretted my purchase. You'll find you use your safe a lot more than you thought you would and for more than just guns. I bought double the size I thought I would need, and I'm close to max capacity now. Buy once, cry once!

Re: Gun Safe shopping [Re: ETexas Hunter] #6309403 05/24/16 02:24 PM
N
Nitro27 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
If I was going to steal a safe I would want it to be in the garage not bolted down. If your safe is in a fire for more than 60 minutes at 1200 degrees someone is adding fuel to it.

Re: Gun Safe shopping [Re: ETexas Hunter] #6309412 05/24/16 02:30 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
There are different levels of resistance/security, even within a manufacturer.

Virtually all of the safes sold at big box stores are RSC rated, which is "Residential Security Container," which is the entry level.

Needless to say, price goes up significantly when moving into the tool and torch resistant categories.

It is worth checking lock and safe stores for trade-ins and used safes.

Here is a link to the UL rating system.

https://www.safeandvaultstore.com/burg-ratings

Re: Gun Safe shopping [Re: ETexas Hunter] #6309476 05/24/16 03:20 PM
68A Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Securtiy Products out of Elm Mott. Mine has a key lock system and a recessed door that is a really neat design. IMO, it is superior to any other brand of safe, or locking system, I have seen. I don't have to worry about combo locks or batteries either. A little more than what your budget is, but as someone else said, buy once cry once.

Re: Gun Safe shopping [Re: ETexas Hunter] #6310196 05/25/16 12:14 AM
C
Caliche Kid Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
+2 above. I have 2 now. First purchase was from a vendor in OK who handled all brands. I asked to speak to the owner. Just asked him what he had at home? This Texas safe is what he owned. He said burglars will start by smashing the dial or keypad to drill behind it. Then you can't get into very soon either. This safe just uses 2 very protected locks. This is a very difficult safe to defeat. I have the biggest ones and they are too small. Weight over 1000#s, but they still need to be bolted down so they can't get them on their backs and use a steel bar. I ordered as much fire insulation as they offer. You can burn down several houses around them and still not get hot enough to ignite important documents. There is no other safe I'd buy.

Re: Gun Safe shopping [Re: ETexas Hunter] #6312305 05/26/16 04:32 PM
T
TexasCowGrower Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
I started looking hard at Amsec BF models after I saw a picture of a safe where someone had cut into the back top corner with a sawzall. I've discovered that a similar sized TL-15 rated safe provides MUCH more security (even from sawzalls and portable grinders with cutoff wheels) for about the same price as the BF models although they have a bare interior. I realize they are significantly outside of the parameters set by the OP but they make the RSC level safes look like toys.

Re: Gun Safe shopping [Re: ETexas Hunter] #6315840 05/30/16 04:04 AM
N
newbirdhunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Bought a Superior safe, Master 50 last year. 10 gauge steel with a dial lock which i had bolted to the slab. Holds 58 guns. Currently has about 20-something rifles and pistols already. Although I knew to buy more safe than I needed at the time of purchase, i'm now thinking i should have gotten a bigger safe. Keep the need for quality and capacity above price. http://www.superiorgunsafes.com/themasterseries.html

"I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!" -- Homer Simpson
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide