Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Best travel trailer brands #6164350 02/01/16 03:09 PM
7m STW Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I'm looking at getting a different travel trailer and looking at different brands and different levels of the brands but so far all it has done is confuse and make me wonder is there's really much difference at all in any of them. Do you you guys have any preferences? Or favorites? I don't want a bunkroom and I'm getting away from 5th wheels wich is what I have now.

Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW] #6164380 02/01/16 03:26 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
I had a 31' Airstream Classic, which we used for a couple of years and LOVED! It was fantastic and extremely well built and trouble free.

Most people buy a trailer, use it for a year or two, and sometimes only a trip or two, and then sell at a deep loss. So, look at the used market for a good used one. I bought mine as a two year old trailer from a bank repo for $33,000 delivered to me from a lot in Phoenix vs. a list of almost $90,000, and it appeared like new. We used it a lot for two years and then sold it for a net of $30,000 back to me. There are some good online listing websites. Look nationally and you can save lots of money. Spend time really stepping into the various models and spend some time in them. You'll begin to really notice differences in feel, layout and quality of materials and construction.

More so than even cars, new trailers depreciate massively and the resale market really puts a premium on quality of construction and punishes flimsy construction.

A "four season" trailer has better insulation including the bottom being enclosed. My wife was adamant about the four season trailer to reduce the risk of rattlesnakes crawling into it on our then lease. There were a few snake shed skins in folks' trailers every year. Ours was buttoned up tight and never had a problem.

The one other suggestion is go for two A/C units. In the summer, it is hard to have too much cooling capacity.

If your budget is big, there are fifth wheels that are about like living in a really nice apartment. Take time to really look through lots of different designs to really assess what you need and want.

Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW] #6164384 02/01/16 03:26 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW] #6164462 02/01/16 04:20 PM
C
CRAnderson52 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
We like Heartlands here. Started with a Trailer Runner, then went to a Prowler and now on a Big Country that is awesome!! Good quality trailers for a fair price.

You can run but you can't hide...
Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW] #6164569 02/01/16 05:22 PM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
We also have an Airstream and absolutely love it as well, but they're definitely not for everyone. While they are mostly well built, they can be quirky, cramped (especially coming from a 5th wheel), and they can be tough to work on or repair.

I suggest hitting an RV show or two that should be coming up here in the late winter or early spring. I think that's really the best way to take in a bunch of trailers and find out what tickles your fancy.

[Linked Image]
Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW] #6164582 02/01/16 05:34 PM
TurkeyHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Nuwa is often used by fulltimers. Very well built.

http://www.nuwa.com/

To be determined
Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: CRAnderson52] #6164907 02/01/16 09:15 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: CRAnderson52
We like Heartlands here. Started with a Trailer Runner, then went to a Prowler and now on a Big Country that is awesome!! Good quality trailers for a fair price.

Same here, looked at 3 and they are fricken nice, looked for almost 12 months and found a Heartland bumper pull we liked, been great so far.

This wont help much, but my mother had 2 different models made by forest river, both had problems for them, also had a time selling them. Wish I could recall the models, but they where fairly known for issues and poor quality.

I think doing due diligence is key, read read read on the RV/camping forums. As mentioned, you can get a deal on used, just go over every piece of hardware, make them show you it works on every system.

What we wanted after a ton of reading and looking, fiberglass exterior and rubber top, those 2 things where non negotiable for us. Found ours listed for just over 20k including 55oo Onan gold genset and one slide, toy hauler. Navy federal said it booked at around 40k, so they would be happy to give us the $$,,,for an 08 model! From what we where told, it was used 3 times for Nascar day's....

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: Western] #6165263 02/02/16 01:10 AM
C
cva34 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Simply AirStream

Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW] #6165401 02/02/16 02:20 AM
T
txshotgun Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
My wife and I went to the RV show in Ft Worth a few weeks ago. It really seems that there are many, many "brands" but fewer manufacturers. Different brands seemed to be separated by quality of the interior. I found myself thinking "we've seen this trailer already" only to have the wife remind me it was a few rows over and a different brand.

Recycle! Be an organ donor!

Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW] #6165407 02/02/16 02:26 AM
R
Ranch Dawg Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
We are on our 2nd Jayco, no issues at all. RV show at Market hall at the end of the month.

THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.

F##K YOU JOE BIDEN !!!!!
Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW] #6165580 02/02/16 04:00 AM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
Fantastic thread

Big Beckett!!
Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: Ranch Dawg] #6165651 02/02/16 05:31 AM
C
CRAnderson52 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Ranch Dawg
We are on our 2nd Jayco, no issues at all. RV show at Market hall at the end of the month.

If you're in the market right now go to this!! All the dealers with all the new models are there and it saves lots of time and gas compared to driving from place to place on your days off. I've actually bought the last two of ours at the show, it saved a little money and they threw a Yeti in both times!

Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW] #6165866 02/02/16 02:19 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
well, it goes without saying that if you can afford an airstream, that is the route; however, I don't see spending the money on an airstream for the deer lease. I bought a 26' Forest River Work & Play back in 2006 brand new and have had it on 3 different deer lease in the Panhandle and have even left it out in the elements for 2 years once and have never had a single leak when my neighbors have and have never had a single mouse when my neighbors have. It is heavy and tough to pull with a half ton, but it is a solid, seamless hunk of metal with a sturdy frame and I am very pleased with it. I will be ripping out the guts up front this year and redoing the cabinets and putting down tile. The back is real simple; it has a twin bed on the left and bunk beds on the right and a rhino lined floor. The one down side to it is it is a max 2 adult trailer. I have had 2 adults and my young un and it does get crowded, but for just me and my son, it is the best.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW] #6165910 02/02/16 02:50 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Airstream is probably at the top, Jayco is a popular camper as well. As I mentioned earlier, you can't read enough up front, others reviews and complaints on RV forums is a gold mine of information. Some problems are easily solved, some can be a major expense. Paying extra for one that is sealed on the bottom can be a huge advantage if you camp in real cold weather.

Dennis

Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW] #6166000 02/02/16 03:43 PM
Sidebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Any recommendations for generators for RV's? I have been looking at the 5500 watt generac brand. Has anyone ever made a box out of sound board to cover it to make it quieter?

Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW] #6166013 02/02/16 03:48 PM
C
CRAnderson52 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I've looked at airstreams every time we've bought a new one... But dang for the price they ask for those things with no slides or anything like that I can get a lot more for my money with a 5th wheel. Yes they last forever, but I don't keep them forever so I'm not too worried about that.

Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: Sidebuster] #6166216 02/02/16 05:37 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Sidebuster
Any recommendations for generators for RV's? I have been looking at the 5500 watt generac brand. Has anyone ever made a box out of sound board to cover it to make it quieter?
I have heard of people dong that, but you should consider a sine wave generator if you rely on clean power.

I have a big Onan Gold built in, but also bought a small backup I also use around the house.
This one and it can be paired for more power. Read reviews on many sites, it is becoming very popular, even among honda owners because of cost and it works

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-2-200-W..._-203617901-_-N

Last edited by Western; 02/02/16 05:39 PM.

Dennis

Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW] #6171522 02/06/16 03:14 AM
M
Misfire Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I have a Flagstaff 23FB. We bought it new about a year and a half ago and it's been great. The only complaint I've had is that the entry door was messed up when we bought it and during the walk through they promised to replace it. Well, saying it and doing it were two totally different things. It took almost 6 months and a lot of phone calls before they fixed it. The door functioned and didn't keep us from using the travel trailer but it was hard to close and out of alignment. Since they replaced it, all is well. The only other issue was my dogs chewing up the wiring for the entire electric braking system. I had to rewire the brakes from the harness to the all 4 wheels.

My little brother bought one of those new Shasta retro trailers last summer. I couldn't caution you away from Shasta enough. They have had nothing but problems, some major, with the camper since they bought it. I'd be willing to wager it has been at the dealer for repairs nearly as much or more than they have had it at home.

"I wanna go fast" -Ricky Bobby

"Mind bottling isn't it?" -Chazz Michael Michaels

Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW] #6171605 02/06/16 04:58 AM
D
Dadsaid Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Airstream

Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: Western] #6171661 02/06/16 08:23 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: Western
Airstream is probably at the top, Jayco is a popular camper as well. As I mentioned earlier, you can't read enough up front, others reviews and complaints on RV forums is a gold mine of information. Some problems are easily solved, some can be a major expense. Paying extra for one that is sealed on the bottom can be a huge advantage if you camp in real cold weather.

My Sister & husband bought a new Jayco a few years ago. They have had nothing but problems out of that thing. Fridge/freezer quit, bathroom/black water drainage leaks, AC crapped out, properly inflated brand new tires popping tearing up the camper, switches failed due to crappy terminations and/or wasn't hooked up properly, other electrical problems due to poor installation resulting in shorts & tripped breakers (not overloads), and lots of leaks. Then the mice moved in and destroyed the interior while at the shop being repaired again. It's now being considered a lemon and handled as such.

Me personally, I've only owned one travel trailer. A 16' 1966 Yellowstone that my Dad bought for the hunting lease when I was a baby. Made some good memories in it. It sat for years and went to hell, it was ugly. In my early 20's I started working the road and needed somewhere cheap to live. I bought that camper from my Dad and GUTTED it out. Re-wired it, all new everything inside. Insulation, carpet, tubing, paneling, appliances, everything. Wheels, wheel bearings, tires, paint, buffed & painted frame, new AC, and sealed the HELL out of it. I drug that thing all over Texas chasing that dollar without a lick of trouble. So, from my limited experience an old rebuilt Yellowstone is my favorite travel trailer brand. grin

I would love to have an Airstream though.

Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW] #6171662 02/06/16 08:48 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
What do you plan to use it for? Drop it and leave it over a year or move it all the time?

Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW] #6172605 02/07/16 08:31 AM
S
StretchR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I have a Forest River "Rockwood" brand WindJammer 3001W. It is 35' long, has two slides, and sleeps two. We've bought it new in August 2013 and have had no trouble. It's been to Colorado twice, down to the Gulf coast a couple of times, around locally a few times and to the deer lease the last 3 seasons. The quality is good, everything has worked, and it pulls pretty well at around 9000 pounds fully loaded. Plenty of room for two people, but not good for groups. It is a four-season model, fully enclosed and well insulated-- has heaters for the water and waste-water tanks to keep them from freezing up. Also has two air-conditioners for Texas summer heat. The only real shortcoming is that there isn't a lot of external storage. As an "ultralight", it is made for easy towing, so not a lot of space for extra gear. Most of that gets tossed in totes in the back of the pickup.

Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW] #6172706 02/07/16 02:16 PM
J
JGreys0n Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
Airstream is the best choice

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide