Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics536,986
Posts9,719,146
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Elk hunting in Colorado - hunter safety course question #5672023 03/27/15 02:46 PM
M
Mavric Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
M
Hey guys, we're putting in for the Colorado draw, deadline is 4/7. I don't have a Colorado hunter safety card which is required on the application and it required for EVERYONE under the age of like 65 (what a joke). From everything I've read you can do a portion online then in-state classroom portion with proficiency test. Do I have that correct? If so I'm screwed for the draw...I sure hope I've misunderstood the information I've read.

Re: Elk hunting in Colorado - hunter safety course question [Re: Mavric] #5672073 03/27/15 03:11 PM
C
COhoghunter Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
You must have a completed hunter education class, before you apply. However it does not have to be issued from Colorado, you can take the class in your state as long as it is an approved course. You can call the Colorado Parks and Wildlife headquarters at 303-297-1192 and they can give you a list of approved classes.

Re: Elk hunting in Colorado - hunter safety course question [Re: Mavric] #5674470 03/29/15 03:13 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Mavric
Hey guys, we're putting in for the Colorado draw, deadline is 4/7. I don't have a Colorado hunter safety card which is required on the application and it required for EVERYONE under the age of like 65 (what a joke). From everything I've read you can do a portion online then in-state classroom portion with proficiency test. Do I have that correct? If so I'm screwed for the draw...I sure hope I've misunderstood the information I've read.

You can do the one day online texas class. You will be out a whopping $20

Even if you buy an over the counter tag, they will not let you purchase a tag with out the hunter's Ed. It's not like texas

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Elk hunting in Colorado - hunter safety course question [Re: Mavric] #5675870 03/30/15 03:29 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
as stated, you can take the one in Texas beforehand and it's approved for various other states including CO. Google hunter education course ... what the heck ... http://tpwd.texas.gov/learning/hunter_education/date.phtml ... looks like there is one in The Woodlands April 4 is the only one available prior to your April 7 deadline.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Elk hunting in Colorado - hunter safety course question [Re: Mavric] #5675992 03/30/15 04:26 PM
F
Flags Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
CO honors hunter safety cards from every other state. So if you attended a class in TX or anywhere else, you're good to go. If not, pony up the $$$ for a one day class to get the certificate.

Re: Elk hunting in Colorado - hunter safety course question [Re: Flags] #5684950 04/05/15 02:08 PM
M
Mavric Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
M
Thanks all for the info...I took the Texas online course got my cert 3 days later.

Sam

Re: Elk hunting in Colorado - hunter safety course question [Re: Mavric] #5684983 04/05/15 02:43 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Thanks all for the info...I took the Texas online course got my cert 3 days later.

Sam

Congrats. When you get it take a pic of it with your phone. Great back up up

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 04/05/15 03:20 PM. Reason: Did up icon instead of up

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Elk hunting in Colorado - hunter safety course question [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5685014 04/05/15 02:59 PM
F
Flags Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Sam

Congrats. When you get it take a pic of it with your phone. Great back up

Don't just take a pic of the certificate to CO with you. Unless it is "verified" and listed as such on your license you need to have the actual certificate in your possession while hunting CO. I had mine verified a long time ago since I got tired of keeping track of pieces of paper. In order to have it verified you need to take it to one of the DOW offices in CO and have them put it in the system. I did that when lived there.

Re: Elk hunting in Colorado - hunter safety course question [Re: Flags] #5685024 04/05/15 03:08 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Flags

Sam

Don't just take a pic of the certificate to CO with you. Unless it is "verified" and listed as such on your license you need to have the actual certificate in your possession while hunting CO. I had mine verified a long time ago since I got tired of keeping track of pieces of paper. In order to have it verified you need to take it to one of the DOW offices in CO and have them put it in the system. I did that when lived there.

This^^^^^ I did this waaay back, but still carry my card LOL, but if for some reason I loose the hard copy and have to wait for a replacement, I'm GTG in Colorado. Only takes about 3 minutes at a DOW office if there is no line. License come with " HS VERIFIED" printed on the tag.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Elk hunting in Colorado - hunter safety course question [Re: Flags] #5685029 04/05/15 03:14 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Flags

Sam

Back up up For some reason it posted up icon instead of "up"

I always wondered why it's not on my license after 10 plus years, you would think DOW systems would update it when you buy a tag. But then again all my tags have been at ACE or Walmart.. Even then you would think that spence they can sale a license, they are verifing it then that the systems would verify

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide