Print Thread
Colorado question!? #5643919 03/10/15 01:37 AM
S
Sq2 hunter Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
So some buddies and I are wanting to put in for elk with out first choice preference point code bc none of us have points, and were gonna put in for the other 3 hunts that don't require points. My question is how many hunters can be put in together and can we apply for first rifle in multiple units as long as preference points aren't required? As always thanks for any advice!

Re: Colorado question!? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5644397 03/10/15 10:45 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Are you also trying to get drawn for elk? If so, you don't want to use the preference point code at all. When you don't get drawn, you will automatically get the PP.

The most I have ever used on a group app was 4, but I believe you can do more. We did it back before they had the online app up and there where only 4 spaces on the paper app in the brochure.

I believe you can put in for different units, as long as everyone uses the correct hunt code for each choice, or if unit 60 is one, everyone would need to put unit 60's code in the same line, like say choice 1.

To be sure, a quick call to the DOW for sure on the last 2 questions and you will know in 60 seconds.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Colorado question!? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5646768 03/11/15 07:20 PM
S
Sq2 hunter Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Thanks I'll give them a call

Re: Colorado question!? [Re: Western] #5649545 03/13/15 02:25 PM
F
Flags Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Originally Posted By: Western
Are you also trying to get drawn for elk? If so, you don't want to use the preference point code at all. When you don't get drawn, you will automatically get the PP.

I don't agree with this. If none of the area require points then you're better off using the code as a first choice and then using a code for a hunt for the others. That way you would get the point and most likely also a license. Points don't come into play for any hunt code other than the first one. I often get the point and then draw my second choice tag. That's how I have built up 20 elk points for CO.

The most I have ever used on a group app was 4, but I believe you can do more. We did it back before they had the online app up and there where only 4 spaces on the paper app in the brochure.

For a group application, 4 hunters is the maximum number.

I believe you can put in for different units, as long as everyone uses the correct hunt code for each choice, or if unit 60 is one, everyone would need to put unit 60's code in the same line, like say choice 1.

Group applications are all based on the group leader. You have to select one person to be the leader. Each hunt code is for a specific hunt in a specific unit. There are a maximum of 4 choices so you could put in for 4 completely different units and hunts. All the members of the group will be linked to the leader and all the hunt codes on all the applications must match. If they don't the applications for all are voided. If the group leader draws, everyone in the group draws.

To be sure, a quick call to the DOW for sure on the last 2 questions and you will know in 60 seconds.

The DOW has what are called hunt planners. You can get the phone numbers off the website.

I'm a 5th generation native of CO and have been hunting the state my entire life. If the OP wants some specific advice he is welcome to shoot me a PM and I'll help in any way I can. I have personally taken about 25 elk and have been in on the taking of around 100 others.

Last edited by Flags; 03/13/15 02:27 PM.
Re: Colorado question!? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5649593 03/13/15 03:05 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I have all my points from PP first option, Tag second.... But I only hunt OTC archery elk, and LO tag for mulie

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Colorado question!? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5649618 03/13/15 03:20 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
I have all my points from PP first option, Tag second.... But I only hunt OTC archery elk, and LO tag for mulie

There is a reason to put the preferred hunt code 1st and not the PP code. If it is 1st, then you get a PP if not drawn anyway. 1st and 4th season is draw only for elk statewide as far as I was told, so, doesn't matter if you hunt OTC anyway if you have 100 PP, you will be more effected by tag availability/caps. The reason is how the DOW computers pick the apps. If your 1st code is for a PP, then you go behind in % the folks that put a hunt code as the 1st choice. In other words, you have higher odds of getting drawn with the hunt code 1st. Being out of state, or a resident also effects the %age. Got this directly from an IT fella at the DOW. Hunted and lived there too, even before these regs went into effect.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Colorado question!? [Re: Western] #5649629 03/13/15 03:24 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

There is a reason to put the preferred hunt code 1st and not the PP code. If it is 1st, then you get a PP if not drawn anyway. 1st and 4th season is draw only for elk statewide as far as I was told, so, doesn't matter if you hunt OTC anyway if you have 100 PP, you will be more effected by tag availability/caps. The reason is how the DOW computers pick the apps. If your 1st code is for a PP, then you go behind in % the folks that put a hunt code as the 1st choice. In other words, you have higher odds of getting drawn with the hunt code 1st. Being out of state, or a resident also effects the %age. Got this directly from an IT fella at the DOW. Hunted and lived there too, even before these regs went into effect.

I see what your saying. But really doesn't effect me until I actually start chasing pp tags. I'll keep in mind for when I do.

On my moose and BH pretty much what I do though

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Colorado question!? [Re: Western] #5649705 03/13/15 04:15 PM
F
Flags Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
If your 1st code is for a PP, then you go behind in % the folks that put a hunt code as the 1st choice. In other words, you have higher odds of getting drawn with the hunt code 1st. Being out of state, or a resident also effects the %age. Got this directly from an IT fella at the DOW. Hunted and lived there too, even before these regs went into effect.

True, but there are many units in CO that always have leftover tags after the drawing. Most of these are the units that require 0 points going in. So, if the OP is looking at 3 different units and all of them require 0 points it is a very good bet that at least on of those units will produce a tag even if they are the 3rd or 4th choice. If I was looking at such units I would put in for a point as first choice and then put in for the units as 2nd-4th choice. That way I know I would begin to build points and most likely would still get a tag. But, to each his own. I've been playing to CO draw for most of my life and with the exception of moose and desert bighorn I've drawn tags for everything in the state including bighorn and mountain goat.

Re: Colorado question!? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5649765 03/13/15 04:51 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I hate you. BH tag bang

smile

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide