Page 1 of 2 1 2
Selling Timber in east TX and Poacher update #3416272 07/27/12 08:04 PM
T
Tjack28 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
I've been trying to make trips to Frankston each month to help my 92 year old great uncle handle business and keep the place up. Some of you probably remember me posting about someone poaching on the place last year and then breaking in to steal his guns on two different occasions.

Well, we're still trying to get things straightened out and took him to replace a gun on last week. Now the concern is making the house more secure and confortable for him. The house he's now living in actually belonged to his mother so you know it's well over 100yrs old. For a man his age it isn't easy keeping up a house and he's low income and only receives a veterans and social security check. I try to help out as much as possible but what I earn here in Houston isn't really enough to make to much of an impact on what he needs down there.

He told me he was thinking about selling some trees to have the money to do some things to the house. It was some kind of coincidence that about a month ago soon after telling me that, that some guy came around out of the blue and tried to talk him into selling all of his timber. He wanted to take all the trees and pay him a couple grand up front and the rest later. I was already skeptical about the guy because I felt that we was going around looking for prospects and focused in on my great uncle because he may have seemed easy to take advantage of because he was old and living out there by himself.

My uncle was considering selling only most of the older pine trees off the place but wanted to save the old oaks, walnuts, hickorys and gums (some 200yrs plus) down in the creek bottom that so me and another friend who's been helping out will be able to continue to hunt. The guy has given my great uncle two contracts trying to convence him to sign, but he wouldn't until I showed up. Once I did show up the guy was a little surprised to see that someone else was involved, and he seemed a little disappointed once I outlined my uncles true wishes. We agreed that I would type up a new contract and I would see him in August.

After talking to the guy both me and the friend who helps out came to the conclusion that he was not to be trusted based on several factors that would make this posting much longer than it already is. After our meeting I later learned that the guy has called my uncle almost everyday since trying to get him to sign a contract letting him cut the timber. I had an issue with that so I called him and repeated to him what my uncle keeps telling him, that it's in my hands and to so stop bugging my uncle and I would see him in August.

This morning I spoke with my 81 yo grandma (my great uncles niece) saying the guy is still calling and after i've called and got onto him about it already. Apparently this trying to hassel him knowing that no one is there, but because I already believe he's a crook I want to try to locate a sawmill or some lumber company close to Frankston and just sell it to them. I'm sure he would get 2-3 times more than what this guys was offering and they may be a bit more professional.

Does anyone know of a good place to sell timber near Frankston...maybe no further than Jacksonville, Tyler and Palestine? If we're going to do it we want to have it done before bow season. It's only about 40 acres of partially wooded and pasture lands...not a whole lot, but the pine trees off his place and the pulp wood off our 2 lots up the road in Cuney may be 5 or more truck loads. The size of some of the pines would make up for number in weight. Let me know if any of you know of a good buyer.

Also, an update for those who remember the poaching issue. Me and a good friend of mine have made 1 or 2 trips a month to put out corn and check food plots. Last month we put out a brand new trail cam after seeing some huge buck tracks down in the creek bottom. We after our last trip we found that the camera was gone, the wire on the gate had been cut, and the gate on the other side of the road had been left open and tire track were leading to the back of the property where they planted the plot last year.

Where those tracks stopped we saw where they'd gotten out and pulled the barbed wire fence open..I supposed to make it easier for deer to come off the larger property behind ours.

I supposed they saw the massive deer on the trail cam pics because while walking the property we spooked up 4 bucks bedded down in the brush. My buddy almost had a heart attack after seeing the size of the first deer. It was still in velvet and had antlers sticking everywhere with a massive width. He said it had to be at least 160 class. The other 2 we got a good look at were good deer as well with pretty nice spread.no telling what they are when that velvet sheds but they looked to be 8-12 points. The 4th never did come out of the brush so we didn't get a good look.

I never seen deer like that in that part of east TX but I hope they continue to stick around until season, and hope that the nuckle heads don't heat us to them. I put up new posted, no trespassing, and no hunting signs with my number so they know there is another presence besides my uncle, but of course that doesn't matter with a lot of those boys out there.

Thinking about letting a friend from Dallas hunt hogs since they're moving back through the place. He told me he can put up dummy and active cameras to set the poachers up. Between the 3 of us we can make 4-5 trips a month down there which will provide more assistance for my uncle and give us a better chance to catch anyone trespassing.

Any who..that's another one of my long spills, but every now and then I have to get you guys expertise and ideas on how to deal with and better approach some things.

T. Jackson
NWTF, Harris County Wildlife Group
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
http://www.facebook.com/pages/NWTF-Harris-County-Wildlife-Group/111234152254353
Re: Selling Timber in east TX and Poacher update [Re: Tjack28] #3416314 07/27/12 08:20 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Depending on how big the sale is you might want to hire a consulting forester to handle the sale. He will determine the total merchantable volume and get you the best price. I would ask for advice here. http://www.forestryforum.com/

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: Selling Timber in east TX and Poacher update [Re: nsmike] #3416346 07/27/12 08:32 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Bring out logging companies to bid on it.

Re: Selling Timber in east TX and Poacher update [Re: rifleman] #3416623 07/27/12 10:29 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
There are a lot of crooks in the logging/timber buying business. I suspect you have run across one. Trying to force a purchase like that one is doing is cause for alarm to me.

Check the link above and ask there for info. getting it cut in that short of time might be a problem or might not but most will do a contract for the wood. I just would not enter a contract with someone using those tatics trying to buy it.

For the other problem the multiple cameras sounds like a good idea.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Selling Timber in east TX and Poacher update [Re: kmon11] #3417373 07/28/12 02:29 AM
F
Forester77 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
My 2cents after 20 odd years in the business:
-Stay away from the individual buyers (like the one you posted about). The individual, crooked or not, can only pay what he can afford and you have no idea of the profit margin he's hoping to work on. Accountability is totally based on his honesty. I've been out of the business for several years, but I've seen landowners sell to similar dealers and/or individual dealer/loggers and get less than half of what the timber was worth when it finally went to the mill. Understand, there are good, honest, hardworking, individual buyers out there, but unless you know the value of what you're selling and how to structure a timber contract or deed, you're playing against a stacked deck.
-Timber companies are good, but will seldom pay top dollar unless they know there's competition or bidding
-Hire a reputable consulting forester (with a degree, check what he tells you) and let him appraise and advise you. He should ask about your long term goals, financical expectations, etc. and develop a suitable management plan. Plus, he should market your timber to the most likely end users and buyers and monitor logging to ensure contract specs are met. Done correctly, you or your uncle's grandchildren can enjoy the property and continuie to grow and sell timber.

Re: Selling Timber in east TX and Poacher update [Re: Forester77] #3417386 07/28/12 02:34 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
40'+ 16-20" centers are bring in good money now bc of some new insurance regs on beach houses. Will say when taking bids they can vary, last place I had thinned received bids that differed significantly from low end to high end.

Re: Selling Timber in east TX and Poacher update [Re: rifleman] #3417705 07/28/12 04:08 AM
T
thedoveshooter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Good luck catching those poachers. Maybe you'll catch them redhanded!

Re: Selling Timber in east TX and Poacher update [Re: thedoveshooter] #3418026 07/28/12 12:41 PM
D
Don Dial Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
My old Uncle Grady in Forest got fairly well off buying timber from folks to sell, but he handled all the work and paid up front....That being said, and me being from Alto, I can tell you
that most folks that have small mills or operations are not always on the up and up, and once the timber is gone, they can
claim any amount of board ft. they wish....I don't know where
you'd market your relatives near you..we used the mills in Lufkin
Don

Re: Selling Timber in east TX and Poacher update [Re: Don Dial] #3418682 07/28/12 06:52 PM
M
mikeydon Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I would go to your agg.extension agent in your area or the forestry service,They should have a list of reputable buyer's in your area i would think.

This is a area you can really get ripped,If you settle on one buyer,I would want reference's up

Last edited by mikeydon; 07/28/12 08:34 PM.

Hunt with your kid's,And you wont be hunting your kid's
Re: Selling Timber in east TX and Poacher update [Re: mikeydon] #3419196 07/28/12 11:03 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Go to the forestry forum link above and register then go to this thread http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,59588.0.html and send a PM to Texas Ranger he's a semi retired Forester and that forums equivalent of stxranchman when it comes to ETX forestry.

Re: Selling Timber in east TX and Poacher update [Re: nsmike] #3419823 07/29/12 03:04 AM
D
Deerdown99 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
here is the company my uncle used and they have land around east tx .... www.reynoldsforestry.com there good.

But ill tell you this from my uncles where I hunt after they cut trees all the thick junk grew up and now its hard hunting with vines scrub trees and what not. Plus All Tree companys are going to make a mess of your property.

Ps Pine Trees dont pay much its the Hardwoods they bring the $$$

Last edited by Deerdown99; 07/29/12 03:05 AM.

Re: Selling Timber in east TX and Poacher update [Re: Deerdown99] #3419995 07/29/12 04:41 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
I don't have any experience in selling timber,but I have a lot of experience dealing with shady characters. Don't let ANYONE take advantage of your Great Uncle,(or anyone else,for that matter). Remember CAVEAT EMPTOR,BUYER or SELLER BEWARE.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Selling Timber in east TX and Poacher update [Re: Erathkid] #3420579 07/29/12 03:31 PM
D
Deerdown99 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
If i had the land id never have it cut. The large trees shade out the crap you dnt want growing

Re: Selling Timber in east TX and Poacher update [Re: Deerdown99] #3420673 07/29/12 04:09 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted By: Deerdown99
If i had the land id never have it cut. The large trees shade out the crap you dnt want growing

They also shade out all the food for the deer! Deer are edge animals you need a mix.

Re: Selling Timber in east TX and Poacher update [Re: Deerdown99] #3420721 07/29/12 04:24 PM
T
Tjack28 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T

I'd prefer not to have anything cut, but it's so he can get some things taken care of at the house and at 92 years old he can have anything he wants! We're only selling the pines because the deer and other animals hang around due to the mass crops of acorns some of those huge old oak trees produce.

The land already has a good mixture of both forest and pasture lands the produce lots of native grasses, nuts, persimmon and other things deer like. We're not cutting any of the trees in the creek bottom and the large oaks and guns will remain in most of the cut areas. There are already young pines growing down in there and I'm thinking about planting some chess nut trees along a few more pines. Only thing is these are the long leaf pines that take a bit longer to grow than Loblolly and short leaf.

The huge bucks we saw were actually bedded down on the more brushy part of the property across the road, and no trees will be cut on that side.

I left a message for the person over that department at Temple Inland, but couldn't get anyone at Georgia Pacific. Going the forestry forum and plan to make a few more calls tomorrow to see what I can line up.

T. Jackson
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
Re: Selling Timber in east TX and Poacher update [Re: Tjack28] #3420735 07/29/12 04:28 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Would go through GP instead of IP/Temple, IP/Temple is a cluster and trying to not spend much money on wood and keep low inventories to sell the plants off.

Re: Selling Timber in east TX and Poacher update [Re: rifleman] #3420743 07/29/12 04:31 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
and clear cutting and letting mixed forest naturally regenerate would suck in terms of deer the first year or so, but after that they'll start using it as a bedding area.

Re: Selling Timber in east TX and Poacher update [Re: rifleman] #3420744 07/29/12 04:31 PM
T
Tjack28 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Would go through GP instead of IP/Temple, IP/Temple is a cluster and trying to not spend much money on wood and keep low inventories to sell the plants off.

Okay...well I will try GP again on tomorrow...

T. Jackson
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
Re: Selling Timber in east TX and Poacher update [Re: Tjack28] #3421113 07/29/12 07:13 PM
H
Hobbs McAvoy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Clearcutting a part of the tract would work like a magnet to draw in deer. I would love to have a one year old clearcut on my lease. It is like a buffet for deer. Clearcuts are difficult to hunt after about 4-5 years when the growth gets too dense but they are awesome for the first 3-4 years.

There are good timber buyers out there as well as bad. Timber prices have not been good in over 10 years. I'm curious who told you the pines were longleaf. Most are shortleaf or loblolly around Frankston. Generally shortleaf will weigh more than loblolly. It has a denser growth pattern. A consultant could help you out. He can recommend a good timber buyer if it is something he cannot bid out. Bigger isn't always better. I would out bid IP/GP/Temple/Champion all the time when I was a forester (I have a degree in Forestry) and we were a small operation. Sometimes it depends on who needs the wood.

200 year old trees in East Texas would be rare. Most of the older pines would be around 60-80 years old max. Hardwoods around here tend to get heart rot around the 50-60 year old mark. They can live well past that but they may have a hollow center.

Re: Selling Timber in east TX and Poacher update [Re: Hobbs McAvoy] #3421735 07/29/12 10:39 PM
D
Deerdown99 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
200 year old trees in East Texas would be rare.

Not true My uncle has some that are way over 100 years. Theres one thats wider than my truck why he didnt have it cut i dnt know

Re: Selling Timber in east TX and Poacher update [Re: Deerdown99] #3421753 07/29/12 10:45 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E

You've got that totally backward....deer can't eat pine needles and bark.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: Selling Timber in east TX and Poacher update [Re: Eland Slayer] #3422498 07/30/12 01:36 AM
D
Deerdown99 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
True but you cant see deer 10 yards after you take all the trees down when all the thickit grows up. Myabe first year or two you can then you get this. Now it took me 2 days to clear the area for my feeder. Before he cut the trees i could see 300 yards now I can 20 yards eather way.

Re: Selling Timber in east TX and Poacher update [Re: Deerdown99] #3422533 07/30/12 01:46 AM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
That mess, you don't like, has both deer food and security cover. The mature trees didn't provide either. I shot a 147 1/2 lb MN doe in an area just like that. The tragedy was that it had also contained a 160 class buck that was hit on the highway 5 days before the season.

Re: Selling Timber in east TX and Poacher update [Re: nsmike] #3422560 07/30/12 01:51 AM
C
cos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I have a place near Frankston that i manage for timber, call James Houser in Jacksonville 903 586 9375, timber prices are not very good at this time but he is a very reputable person to do business with and knows what mills are needing every day.

Re: Selling Timber in east TX and Poacher update [Re: Deerdown99] #3423059 07/30/12 03:37 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
True but you cant see deer 10 yards after you take all the trees down when all the thickit grows up. Myabe first year or two you can then you get this. Now it took me 2 days to clear the area for my feeder. Before he cut the trees i could see 300 yards now I can 20 yards eather way.

A bushhogg early on can create several multiple acre food plots... A dozer can still get it done in a hurry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide