Print Thread
Finding a Taxidermist? #5899663 08/27/15 11:47 PM
O
okiehuntr Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
O
How does one find a good taxidermist other than word of mouth,trial and error or hours of research??
I am open to PM's from people/taxidermists W/ examples of their work.
I plan to have three mounts done this coming year and am not satisfied with the Oklahoma person I am using.
okiehuntr

Re: Finding a Taxidermist? [Re: okiehuntr] #5899832 08/28/15 01:06 AM
G
GodsCreationTaxidermy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
check out the posts on here from Gods Creation Taxidermy Studio. Great turn around time and high quality.

Re: Finding a Taxidermist? [Re: okiehuntr] #5900032 08/28/15 02:19 AM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
There are no shortcuts. Most taxidermist are barely average at best. A few are good and on a small percent are really good. You have to look at their work to see is they are an artist, or just an operation putting out mounts. You need to find out where they get their hides tanned, where they buy their forms and their eyes. Cheap will always look cheap when it's done. Look at more then just their whitetails. Look at other big game animals, small game and if they do birds or fish. How do their rocks look and their pedestals.

When I moved to East Texas, it took me six months to find the one I'm using. He doesn't advertise and is barely on FB. The only reason I found him was a mutual friend posted a pic of their kudu he had just done for them. It was stunning, so I went and looked at it, and the other animals he did. Night and day better then everything else I had seen in my area.

For me, I want to enjoy my mounts for the rest of my life. For that, I'm going to take the time and do the footwork needed to find the best out there

Re: Finding a Taxidermist? [Re: EddieWalker] #5900094 08/28/15 02:49 AM
D
dlrz71 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: EddieWalker
There are no shortcuts. Most taxidermist are barely average at best. A few are good and on a small percent are really good. You have to look at their work to see is they are an artist, or just an operation putting out mounts. You need to find out where they get their hides tanned, where they buy their forms and their eyes. Cheap will always look cheap when it's done. Look at more then just their whitetails. Look at other big game animals, small game and if they do birds or fish. How do their rocks look and their pedestals.

When I moved to East Texas, it took me six months to find the one I'm using. He doesn't advertise and is barely on FB. The only reason I found him was a mutual friend posted a pic of their kudu he had just done for them. It was stunning, so I went and looked at it, and the other animals he did. Night and day better then everything else I had seen in my area.

For me, I want to enjoy my mounts for the rest of my life. For that, I'm going to take the time and do the footwork needed to find the best out there

This ^^

I will also add if you do look at taxidermist be sure and look at the work they are putting out to their customers. Don't just go into their shop and look at the work they have on display. A lot of times they are competition style mounts and may not be what they put out day in and day out for their customers. For example their displays may have a lot of more detail in the muscles, nose, veins etc.

Re: Finding a Taxidermist? [Re: okiehuntr] #5900916 08/28/15 06:07 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Find the BEST....COVENIENT....taxi to where you live. If you shoot a trophy in November and leave it with a Taxi near you hunting place remember you will have to drive back there to pick it up in May -July. Sometime this is a real pain, especially if you are far from it.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Finding a Taxidermist? [Re: okiehuntr] #5916901 09/07/15 08:34 PM
J
jhprice2 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
I have found that it is worth shipping your trophies to guys that specialize in that animal if taxidermy is truly important to you. The one thing guys get hung up on is using the same guy just because he is good at certain animals in taxidermy. For example very few excellent waterfowl/turkey taxidermist do a lot of big game work and the other way around. Especially when it comes to predators of any kind. Cape your animal off the face by a local taxidermist and ship it to someone that specializes in that animal and you wont be sorry. Finding a good taxidermist seems to be as hard as finding a reputable outfitter at times.

Re: Finding a Taxidermist? [Re: okiehuntr] #5916903 09/07/15 08:35 PM
J
jhprice2 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
but just like finding a good outfitter when you find the right taxidermist you know you hit a home run!

Re: Finding a Taxidermist? [Re: okiehuntr] #5917068 09/07/15 10:35 PM
O
okiehuntr Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
O
I have been really surprised at responses.. a particular"taxidermist" was insulted when I asked for examples of work or website to view his work...saying "you don't have to have a website" and that I was more or less a moron asking to see one or examples..Hey guys aren't websites like a resume? And I'm going to try you just because you say you won 3rd place at such and such show..maybe there was only 3 entries.
Please anybody wanting to do work for me in the future, post some examples.
I live in SE Ok. and hunt exotics in Tx. would like a taxidermist between Paris and Dallas
thanks,
okiehuntr

Re: Finding a Taxidermist? [Re: okiehuntr] #5917071 09/07/15 10:38 PM
O
okiehuntr Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
O
The taxi that I am currently using says he does "nothing" to horns or antlers...is that normal?? Seems antlers could be enhanced in some way?
okiehuntr

Re: Finding a Taxidermist? [Re: okiehuntr] #5917365 09/08/15 01:10 AM
C
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I'm not sure what you mean by "enhanced". Most taxis I know just wipe em down and get the blood off and mount em up. If you have Instagram check out @natec_taxidermy. He's not exactly in your range of Paris to Dallas but you may be asking for a lot to get a great guy and limit the area to 100 miles or so. There's several folks here that use him and I have pics if needed.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide