Print Thread
Lab pup question #6388220 07/30/16 04:34 PM
C
CenTex Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
C
Shouldn't be the one asking this question as this is my third lab. Hoping the THF brain trust can help me out. What is the best way to stop or break a lab puppy from chewing. He is 6 months old.

Re: Lab pup question [Re: CenTex] #6388444 07/30/16 08:54 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: CenTex
Shouldn't be the one asking this question as this is my third lab. Hoping the THF brain trust can help me out. What is the best way to stop or break a lab puppy from chewing. He is 6 months old.

What's he chewing on?

Does he have options of things he's allowed to chew on?

Is he kennel trained?

I try and keep everything put up but the things allowed to be chewed on. If its furniture my reaction would be a stern NO and with that alone they usually get the idea after a couple of times. If it persists maybe muzzle grab and NO! My pup is also never allowed to be by herself out of her kennel. At 6 months he's probably teething so make sure he has some other safe options of things to chew on.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 07/30/16 08:59 PM.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Lab pup question [Re: CenTex] #6388671 07/31/16 12:41 AM
K
ken starling Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
We are using rawhide from Wal Mart. They are about 4x4 square and seems to be helping, she still tries to chew , like Bradybuck said, a stern no and she usually stops.

Mine is 12 weeks old.

Re: Lab pup question [Re: CenTex] #6388680 07/31/16 12:49 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
If he's chewing something he's not supposed to, tell him no and pick him up by the ears and beat the sht out of him while still saying no repeatedly. Say whatever you want to but this will work.

Re: Lab pup question [Re: CenTex] #6388833 07/31/16 02:44 AM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Puppies will be puppies but bored dogs tend to get into trouble. All above will help

Re: Lab pup question [Re: CenTex] #6388951 07/31/16 05:24 AM
C
CenTex Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
C
Thank you all for the advice. I'll keep working on him. He is being kennel trained and does have items he is allowed to chew on. If one of my three young kids leaves anything on the ground when we are not watching or he is outside, it gets destroyed.

Re: Lab pup question [Re: scalebuster] #6389053 07/31/16 01:16 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
If he's chewing something he's not supposed to, tell him no and pick him up by the ears and beat the sht out of him while still saying no repeatedly. Say whatever you want to but this will work.

So will screaming no and stabbing him with a knife. Dolt.

Re: Lab pup question [Re: CenTex] #6389133 07/31/16 02:50 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Thank you all for the advice. I'll keep working on him. He is being kennel trained and does have items he is allowed to chew on. If one of my three young kids leaves anything on the ground when we are not watching or he is outside, it gets destroyed.

I have two small children and I am constantly reminding them to keep their doors shut so she can't get anything. Fortunalty I have been able to take away most of it before she can destroy it. I also started using the "place" and "stay" command in the evening. Once the kids are in bed and I just want to sit down and not have to worry about her.
I put her on a dog bed in the living room with a chew toy...say place and stay. I don't care if she sits or lays down or stands as long as she doesn't get off the bed.

I don't use the "stay" command for any thing else but this. It may take a few days of being consistent but it's nice to not have to worry what they are getting into.

After you take away the item he shouldn't have give him something he can chew on. This will help him understand that it's ok to to chew on this but not that. If you are just getting on to him but not giving him something else all he knows is he's not supposed to chew on anything and that's just not feasible

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Lab pup question [Re: CenTex] #6389320 07/31/16 06:31 PM
C
CenTex Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
C
Thank you!

Re: Lab pup question [Re: ntxtrapper] #6389620 07/31/16 11:17 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: ntxtrapper

I noticed you didn't add anything positive to the thread. I live over in Young county between Bryson and Graham off of Cement Mountain road. If you would like to stop by I can show you a kennel full of well trained animals and give you some dog training tips. If you would like to stop by just to mouth off I can give you some lessons in manners as well. I'm always willing to help someone out.

Re: Lab pup question [Re: CenTex] #6389751 08/01/16 01:05 AM
S
Sweese Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Offer up a "no" for those things that are not to be chewed and replace them with something that is good to be chewed. This is a time to use up all of your old shoes, cardboard boxes, etc.

Also, get your puppy out more and exercise them. Puppies tend to chew less when they are tired.

Regards,

Jay
Photographer Afield
www.jayschwisow.com

Re: Lab pup question [Re: CenTex] #6389936 08/01/16 03:31 AM
C
CenTex Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
C
Good advice!

Re: Lab pup question [Re: CenTex] #6389941 08/01/16 03:39 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Mine is just over a year. She gets a chew nightly. The problem is when I'm out of town working. My wife doesn't work her and after a few days of boredom something receives the punishment for my neglect. Most of the time though daily chews keep her satisfied chewing wise.

Speaking of which, it's time for hers. G'night y'all.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Lab pup question [Re: Sweese] #6392040 08/02/16 08:31 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Sweese
Offer up a "no" for those things that are not to be chewed and replace them with something that is good to be chewed. This is a time to use up all of your old shoes, cardboard boxes, etc.

Also, get your puppy out more and exercise them. Puppies tend to chew less when they are tired.

This is how my dog is....she doesn't chew unless she has too much built up energy and nothing to do.

Re: Lab pup question [Re: BradyBuck] #6392082 08/02/16 08:53 PM
N
nyalubwe Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck

I have two small children and I am constantly reminding them to keep their doors shut so she can't get anything. Fortunalty I have been able to take away most of it before she can destroy it. I also started using the "place" and "stay" command in the evening. Once the kids are in bed and I just want to sit down and not have to worry about her.
I put her on a dog bed in the living room with a chew toy...say place and stay. I don't care if she sits or lays down or stands as long as she doesn't get off the bed.

I don't use the "stay" command for any thing else but this. It may take a few days of being consistent but it's nice to not have to worry what they are getting into.

After you take away the item he shouldn't have give him something he can chew on. This will help him understand that it's ok to to chew on this but not that. If you are just getting on to him but not giving him something else all he knows is he's not supposed to chew on anything and that's just not feasible

Good advice here...children need more training than the dog. Giving the dog something they are allowed to chew on is a biggie. Trainers call it redirecting. It is the dog's nature to think if it is left lying where he can get at it, then it must be for him.

If he's chewing furniture legs etc. a bit of bitter apple spray ( found in any pet store) helps out in most cases.

Re: Lab pup question [Re: ntxtrapper] #6401964 08/10/16 03:47 PM
H
hunting_guy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Originally Posted By: ntxtrapper

Grabbing your retriever pup by the ears and beating the $hit out of him is not a good approach, especially when they have something in their mouth.

You tell them no, take the object away, and replace it with something they are allowed to chew on and praise them. They'll get the idea eventually. What you don't want is a retriever that thinks they'll get beat when they pick something up with their mouth. In fact, when doing FF later, you'll be applying pressure for them to fetch and hold quite a few different objects. You can see how that could cause issues. At one point you're telling them it's not okay to have something in their mouth or they'll get beat and then later on you're telling them that they have to have something in their mouth and hold it or they'll get beat. That's counter-productive.

Another piece of advice, is that the old saying does hold true and that is a tired dog is a good dog.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide