Print Thread
Opinion about this property. I'm thinking of buying #6772557 05/23/17 05:14 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I am looking at some land, (114 acres) that is 20 minutes north of Windstar and then 15 minutes to the west, in Love county, even though listing says a different county. He is asking 2,557 per acre. Has electric and a newly drilled water well that will need a pump. map does not show it but he has cleared a lot of the land and the back 25 acres is now a winter wheat field. Land is rolling. Look at it and let me know what you think. His real estate agent said he had some room built in if I wanted to make an offer. Said about 10%. In addition, and it is strange, he owns 4 acres of an undivided interest in 40 acres at the back of his property. That is the top square part on the map. The property is "land locked," and he will not give permission to cross his property so no one but him can use it. Showed a photo of a 160 deer that he said he got off the property 2 years ago. Take a look at it and tell me what you think. Also, rifle season is only 3 weeks long. Out of state hunting will cost $700 for wife and me. I don't know much about hunting in Oklahoma Any help both pro and con will be greatly appreciated.
http://www.landsofamerica.com/property/114-acres-in-Carter-County-Oklahoma/3900885

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Opinion about this property. I'm thinking of buying [Re: Mr. T.] #6772850 05/23/17 10:34 PM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Couple things....I thought the rifle season up there was still only about 10 days, but maybe they've changed it. The other concern is the land locked situation, but don't really understand if that affects you since the property appears to have road frontage. The laws are different up there. I do know that. I know people who own land in OK and it sucks that you still have to buy out of state even if you're a landowner too, in addition to the short season.

Looks like a gorgeous property and I do know there are some great bucks south of there near the river (Sivell's Bend area). And the map shows a swath of pretty good cover headed north to this place and around it.

Re: Opinion about this property. I'm thinking of buying [Re: Mr. T.] #6772856 05/23/17 10:46 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Looks a lot like your place in Eastland county. Pretty place. Just be hard for me to deal with weird seasons and high cost for out of state license.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Opinion about this property. I'm thinking of buying [Re: Mr. T.] #6772857 05/23/17 10:46 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Not to mention it's Oklahoma whip

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Opinion about this property. I'm thinking of buying [Re: Mr. T.] #6772894 05/23/17 11:21 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Looks like a nice piece of property. I'm a little like the others, why Oklahoma? A couple of things;
When you say the well needs a pump, most do need a pump. Why does it not have one installed yet? How many gallons did it flow? Have the water tested and be sure to taste the water. How deep is it? Don't take anybody's word about the well. Do your due diligence. The stock pond is awfully low to have had as much rain as we have had. It probably has a leak. Everybody seems to have a spring fed something or other. Make sure you know where the spring originates and what kind of volume it flows. Good luck on your search!

Re: Opinion about this property. I'm thinking of buying [Re: Mr. T.] #6773180 05/24/17 02:58 AM
D
DUKFVR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I would be concerned about the 40 ac he has 4 acres in. guessing he will want an easement so he can continue to get there. In the future someone else could possibly get an ok from him to use it. Never know who or how many MAY be coming through your place & at what times. We sold a place for the same reason.

Re: Opinion about this property. I'm thinking of buying [Re: Mr. T.] #6773195 05/24/17 03:16 AM
M
Mr. T. Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
No, I would also be getting his interest in the 40 acres, so I would be the only person with access to the property, there is no road to it. what looks like a road is actually on the property I'm looking at. I thought the tank was very low myself considering all the rain. He had the well dug and then decided he was not going to live there so did not spend the 2500-3000 for a pump. I saw the spring on other side of road, the very small creek on goes about 20 feet across this property, so actually I think in hot summer time it will be nothing. Season last year was 16 days. And yes I know its in Oklahoma and I told my wife that took away for me at least 5% of the value of the property.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Opinion about this property. I'm thinking of buying [Re: Mr. T.] #6773292 05/24/17 11:56 AM
D
DUKFVR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I would still be concerned about the other part that was owned by others. Probably nothing to worry about, but if one of the other people wanted to push access ,you might have to hire a lawyer just to defend it. I don't know Ok. law. For sure would be a turn off to some if you try to resell.
Good Luck on your next place though!

Re: Opinion about this property. I'm thinking of buying [Re: Mr. T.] #6773830 05/24/17 09:10 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I know some folks that bought a place last fall S of Oswalt rd closer to 35 for a good bit less than $2550 per acre with functioning well & elec, good fencing & interior roads with a concrete slab about 30'x44' elec & water to slab.

Seems high to me, but as with any land purchase what it is worth to someone else is hard to figure.

Re: Opinion about this property. I'm thinking of buying [Re: Mr. T.] #6773856 05/24/17 09:30 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I looked at a place close by there a few months ago, it was badly burned in a fire and all the trees were short and very brush-like, but since you have seen the place it may not be that way at all.

The well should have a report for it that you could access, either by current owner or by the state. Can see where and what kind of water was found and the expected output of the well.

Agree with others about the tank shown in the pics, seems to have a leak. will likely need some work done to retain a full pool of water.

Have no idea what to think of the extra 4 acers of the 40...don't really understand it and would need to have something in writing and on deed/survey showing it was part of property.

I will say listing agent is a good guy. Just bought one of his properties he had listed and he was easy to work with and very helpful for whatever was needed.

Re: Opinion about this property. I'm thinking of buying [Re: Mr. T.] #6773863 05/24/17 09:36 PM
N
nate33 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
IF you are buying it for hunting,,, its always the same question ------- how big are all the properties next to it???? If they are 1000 acre ranches, good, but if 15 people each own 100 acres-------- you did not address that issue. It would be the first thing I would ask about.
There was a guy on this forum selling 20 acre lots and advertising it as prime hunting property. lol

Re: Opinion about this property. I'm thinking of buying [Re: Mr. T.] #6773993 05/25/17 12:07 AM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I love Texas but I also have to admit I looked in Oklahoma because of the prices up there. Went all the way up to seminole and around wewoka. Some awesome prices up there but its smack dab tornado alley. You mentioned 160 class deer and I think opinions on the property should be based on your plans and goals for it. Will it be developed and flipped? Going to build a house and put down roots? Or is this just going to be a strictly recreation type thing?

Re: Opinion about this property. I'm thinking of buying [Re: Mr. T.] #6774313 05/25/17 12:10 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Seems strange you would spend good money to drill a well and not finish the job.

I would not buy there. I think it will be very hard to adjust to such a short season if you have been hunting in Texas first.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Opinion about this property. I'm thinking of buying [Re: Mr. T.] #6774343 05/25/17 01:04 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
^^^^^ A good, strong well with potable water would add value. I have a well I did not put a pump on because it never would completely clear. It only adds value to the extent someone might use it for irrigation or to compensate for a leak in a stock tank. Yes, I have a pond that leaks as well. I would adjust the price accordingly if I went ahead with a purchase on this one and be careful who you trust.

Re: Opinion about this property. I'm thinking of buying [Re: Mr. T.] #6774425 05/25/17 02:10 PM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
Sounds like you would be just across the river from family's place in Cooke Co. Great deer along there and lots of hogs. That price is about half of what they just sold a tract of land for, 92 acres $4500/A.
We had a friend with some acreage just south of there, just off of the river. Locals got mad he bought it and dumped some jack asses on the property, to wild to catch til the lead one was put down. Lots of issues with a Texan owning in that area. Ask about the neighbors and who used to hunt it.
It is a pretty area but the river tends to flood into the Oklahoma side. Looks like it is far enough from it maybe not to worry.
Family place is at Sivell's Bend and they have taken up to a 195-ish deer and several nice 150-160 bucks.

Re: Opinion about this property. I'm thinking of buying [Re: Mr. T.] #6774586 05/25/17 04:50 PM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
Sorry , misinformation, the family place is at Illinois Bend just to the west. You would be north of the Flying J. Big deer on it I know. Good pecans in the bottoms.

Re: Opinion about this property. I'm thinking of buying [Re: Mr. T.] #6775964 05/26/17 10:26 PM
K
krod777 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Youre in a good spot Mr T!

Re: Opinion about this property. I'm thinking of buying [Re: Mr. T.] #6776115 05/27/17 01:16 AM
armadillophil Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Listing agent has some nice properties for sale. Prices in love county have really gone up in last few years. Only thing I don't like is all the wells on east side of property. I'm sure it's surface only. I would hate to have a well put on it and then have to deal with that. Love county had a very active play until last year. Good luck

Farm, Ranch and Recreational Land Sales in Texas and Oklahoma.
Re: Opinion about this property. I'm thinking of buying [Re: Mr. T.] #6776159 05/27/17 02:05 AM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
get everything in writing. if the well isn't working it's not really a well, just
a hole that might be a well. i'd make damn sure there wasn't some kind of legal
easement or something when it comes to the landlocked portion. my buddy bought
some land that a previous owner had a handshake deal on way back when, and the
landlocked owner never used or accessed his property. the landlocked property
finally sold some years after and there was a dispute over access. before he built
his house, we did a bunch of weekends worth of work making a decent road on his
property. the new owners of the landlocked property were going to take him to
court for access via the new smooth road we built. he had to hire an expensive
lawyer and was finally told that if he didn't sell access that the judge would
likely give the other owners access for free. needless to say, after those folks
flying up and down the road 15 or 20 times a day after a few years the road was
worse than if we'd never did all that work, and they never lifted a finger to
do any maintenance to the road. not to mention getting his house and cars dusted
all day every day.
get everything in writing

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide